• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3-Way SLI - how many PCIe slots left?

Zapador

Hi.

I'm going to get an Asus Rampage IV Extreme and fit 3x 680s on there.

I will be watercooling the 680s so my question is...

Can I use any of the black PCIe slots?
Or will the only free slot be the 4th red at the bottom?

I am fitting a RAID card and preferably also a soundcard, but in case there isn't enough space I would need a USB soundcard.

Thanks.

// Zap

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The TRI-SLI bridge is made for the top three slots(@ x16/x8/16). I guess it might be possible to use a different 3-way bridge, so you could use the top-most slot, and then the bottom two red for the cards(@ x16/x8/x8), but what would be required to do so is not in the box.

Zapador

The TRI-SLI bridge is made for the top three slots(@ x16/x8/16). I guess it might be possible to use a different 3-way bridge, so you could use the top-most slot, and then the bottom two red for the cards(@ x16/x8/x8), but what would be required to do so is not in the box.

Just to make sure, by the top three you refer to the red ones, right? So the top black slot isn't used for the SLI.

sneekypeet

not-so supermod
Staff member
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
water blocks will make all the cards 1 slot. All slots will be usable;) (as long as the tubing or SLI bridge doesn't cause issues with the fit or removal of some cards.) For what slots the GPUs go into, its just the red ones as far as I know.

System Name My Gaming System
Processor Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4 Ghz
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Impact (ITX)
Cooling Custom Full System Water cooling Loop
Memory G.Skill 1866 Mhz Sniper 8 Gb
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ti SC
Storage Samsung SSD EVO 120GB - Samsung SSD EVO 500GB
Display(s) ASUS W246H - 24" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Modular PSU
Software Windows 8.1 Home Primeum
That motherboard has a close layout too mine... Which is the Gigabyte Sniper 3
d1c7fbce_CeBIT-2012-Gigabyte-G1-Sniper-3-Intel-Z77-Motherboard-Makes-Its-Appearance-5.jpg

I have 3 GTX 680's in SLI water cooling right now. If you look at the pic of my system below(You can just barley see the PCIe x1 slots). It looks like it just maybe possible but it will be a very close fit. As long as the card you are installing does not have a back plate or screws that are sticking up to high it just may work. (Granted these are different boards so I am not guaranteeing it but it looks like it just might be able to be done.) Hope this helps.
*Edit* I looked again at my setup..... Actually if you are going to use reference cards it will not work. The reason is....because there are two DVI ports on the front of the card that are stacked one on top of each other. Which would mean you can not use that slot in between unless you will be using a non reference GTX 680 design. The only slot you will be able to use is that last slot.
GeForce_GTX_680_3qtr_No_Thermal.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Just to make sure, by the top three you refer to the red ones, right? So the top black slot isn't used for the SLI.

No, it's not. You should be using the red slots.

You migth want to consider the ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Champion. I'm using it now with three AMD cards, and it has allowed me to have a slot separating the cards from each other:

View attachment 47777

IF you need to, I can check the slot config with htis board too...I'll have a review on it live in a couple of weeks. It did come with two separate Tri-SLI bridges.

Zapador

*Edit* I looked again at my setup..... Actually if you are going to use reference cards it will not work. The reason is....because there are two DVI ports on the front of the card that are stacked one on top of each other. Which would mean you can not use that slot in between unless you will be using a non reference GTX 680 design. The only slot you will be able to use is that last slot.

So true, lol... I've been so concerned with the slots and spacing between them, that I completely forgot about the double-slot backplate which obviously makes it impossible to use any slots but the last one.

So USB soundcard for me so theres space for the RAID :)

Huge thanks to all of you! :D

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Crucial Gen 5 1 TB, Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
No, it's not. You should be using the red slots.

You migth want to consider the ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Champion. I'm using it now with three AMD cards, and it has allowed me to have a slot separating the cards from each other:

IF you need to, I can check the slot config with htis board too...I'll have a review on it live in a couple of weeks. It did come with two separate Tri-SLI bridges.

Hmmm... What case are you using?

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Crucial Gen 5 1 TB, Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Antec P280. ;) Cheap, and fits EATX boards and longer VGAs no problem! Nine slots out back, as you can see in the picture.

Oh nice I didn't even think to look for that case. I noticed it fits longer graphics cards.

I just bought a new case:

COOLER MASTER Elite 335 Upgraded RC-335U-KKN1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

It fits up to 12.5'' VGAs however the inside isn't painted black... I decided to go with it anyway because I like cooler master cases.

EDIT: Only 7 slots on the back of my case though.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
The black slot is actually there for 3 way setups but I am not sure if you can use the second red and the black one at the same time, by using the first red plus the black one and the last red you would have the space to fit a soundcard in the 1x slot and the raid on the second red

you should play with the lane simulator in BIOS to see if it is possible

Zapador

Yeh would be nice to play around in BIOS, but I don't have the board yet - currently working on a custom case design in Illustrator, later gonna test it in Cinema 4D and if it works imma order it and then get the mobo etc. :rockout:

Thanks! :toast: