• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

General discussion based on Extreme Overclocking

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
i dont get why they have big beefy vrm heatsinks and on the other side of the board is no cooling?? and it gets toooooooasssttyyyy!! smelly infact!

what gives? im not extreme overclocking but i like putting my voltage @ 1.6 for starters :laugh:

and my extreme cooling is windows open and this...............

Last edited:
LOL this is what I wanted to see.

I think I am the one who is going to start xtreme oc for TPU (reviews and stuff like these ).
I have some mobos insulated and currently we bench for Pro Oc cup.
So, I have people to help me get this threads done ;)

Will start tomorrow :)

BTW drdeathx keep in mind, I never gave more than 1.6v for DICE and more than 1.72V for Cascade on my 3770K ;)
Take care not to degrade it

One more addition, thought to make a thread of some extreme cooling methods we used in order to inspire others as well. :)

Last edited:
System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
LOL this is what I wanted to see.

I think I am the one who is going to start xtreme oc for TPU (reviews and stuff like these ).
I have some mobos insulated and currently we bench for Pro Oc cup.
So, I have people to help me get this threads done ;)

Will start tomorrow :)

BTW drdeathx keep in mind, I never gave more than 1.6v for DICE and more than 1.72V for Cascade on my 3770K ;)
Take care not to degrade it

One more addition, thought to make a thread of some extreme cooling methods we used in order to inspire others as well. :)

Go big or go home! LOL

Lol :p

Tomorrow's day projects:
1)Create a thread with Post Code Errors and meanings
2) Tiny and tweaks Operating Systems

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
New threads will have the [XO] as a thread tag in order to help you find them and make you able to spot the difference easier. :)

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Aki
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A
Cooling MSI MAG CoreLiquid E360
Memory Patriot Viper Elite 5 32GB 6200
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard ASUS ROG Strix Scope II Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Will you link them in this thread?

Last edited:
LN2 is near impossible to get locally it seems like.
Most suppliers won't allow it (Dewar) inside a passenger car, must be in the bed of a truck.
Dice is fun and never have to worry about cold boot bugs with Dice.. and 6Ghz + is possible with Dice on many platforms not just Ivy.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2125488_xtremecuztoms_cpu_frequency_celeron_lga775_347_6669.98_mhz

What I suggest is hit the forums, buy used stuff... unless you're after pcmark05 just grab some sata drives... a bunch of em... I load xp for 2D on one drive, Vista on another and w7 on another.. So if I decide to bench a 775 platform I have 3 drives ready. Old hardware can be fun and the quest for 8Ghz on old hardware is a blast... :rockout:

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Oh its possible on Ivy... I did it with my chip. Not saying its common, but I have seen it happen before...

to help handle LN2 (pouring while I OC),
Its pretty easy to pour for yourself with a single pot... in fact its downright simple. Even CPU/GPU...especially when you can full pot bench like with most Ivybridge and damn near all of AMD. On IB, single threaded benches (Spi 1M/32M, Pifast) any decent pot should hold fairly steady, with 32M requiring a couple splashes throughout the 5m(32M) test to keep things where they need to be.

Now, you get in to some heaters like the Intel Hex chips and AMD octo's.. THOSE need babysitting.

Its also very helpful when learning your chip/gpu to write down voltages/settings/benchmarks that work. That way one is not guessing.

Last edited:
Heh, we all started somewhere. I learned that in C2D/C2Q days...

You also, when extreme cooling, should have your OS and benchmarks setup before starting. Simple, basic things that can mean a lot when starting out as far as efficient benchmarking.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Simple, basic things that can mean a lot when starting out as far as efficient benchmarking.

Yeah, I mentioned prepping stuff earlier. That's the key to success, really, would suck to not have a back-up OS, or similar, when you got a full pot, and corrupt an OS because you pushed the ram a bit too far. :p

FireKillerGR has covered the OS part, for now, fortunately. Just gotta get one of them pre-loaded on a drive, with the board to be used, prior to ANY benching. a nice 60 GB SSD is perfect for this...

Image the OS(s)... That way its a 5 minute re-image as opposed to a 20 minute install. I have a few small (30-60GB) SSD's just for that. One 30GB has my stripped XP, and my 60GB is partitioned with Vista and W7. I have images of those installs on each.

You have a couple of solid, resources at TPU already in Metalracer, and DOM. I think those two are about the only ones that regularly and currently go sub ambient.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yep, I spent HOURS watching the OCN event this weekend, was entertaining at times. :p

We Livestream our sessions as well... For the most part, there is a solid turnout. Especially if who is doing it knows what they are doing and for the 'green' people here!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
WE livestream our sessions as well... FOr the most part, there is a solid turnout. Definately worth it, especially to expose the 'green' people here.

Isn't a live stream a requirement for HWBOT now? Not too sure on this one...

LOL, disagree with the first part, PASSIONATELY. That is the last thing I want is to have to babysit (or hell just set up and run) a session on Livestream while I'm benching. Perhaps only for WR or something, but for normal people. HELL F NO. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Meh, to me, it's no big deal. Really, when you sit in TS as much as I do, it is REALLY no big deal.

Video validation is only required for team cup.
And I think only for just a stage of it ;)

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
id enjoy watching a LN2 session if someone put one on the TPU video thread, or even you could start a TPU extreme OC video thread, to watch the thrills and spills ;)

guaranteed one viewer subbed!