• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Cause Of And Fix For Radeon R9 290X And 290 Inconsistency

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Qubit - Try to respond to questions we have about your assertions this thread you created instead of thanking random people and replying to a post that was clearly in jest...that or mods need to delete this thread already.

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I could care less where his loyalty is at the moment. I would just like to see some support of the points I mentioned... still nada.......... :shadedshu

AS it stands... Recycled recycle bin material here. :(

If it's build quality then I can vouch for good and bad. I'd reckon Qubit is meaning the reference design cooler which no matter how you look at it (Titan style) is a very good cooler and performs well. I had direct experience of it and it is swishy quiet and even at load, not obscene, easily gone with headphones on quiet.

However, the cooler isn't the issue to me (or others who like to abuse tech). I'm by no means a real modder but the PCB of the 'card ' to me is the most important thing. My Titan still whines if i run enough voltage through it, although it whines a hell of a lot less than my old 7970's. Likewise, everybody knows Titan could've been ugly f*cking fast(er) with a more robust voltage set up.

Then there's BIOS. It may not be a physical build quality but the BIOS is the be all and end all of a quality card. So many cards now seem to limit certain features (usually voltages) and a restrictive BIOS can detract from the fun you want to have (and flashing is scary when the first time you do it is on a slightly expensive Titan).

Then there's vendor restrictions. Nvidia's (and AMD's) commands to partners to not do this or not do that.

The quality of the physical build of a cooler per se pales when you look at the overall design and versatility quality of a card.

I mean c'mon, Nvidia rules have destroyed the credibility of the Lightning range.

Yeah, build quality isn't black and white. Noisy cooler, flimsy plastic - buy a 3rd party or block it. Not technically able to put on a new cooler - get a shop to do it for you.

Reactions: HTC

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Who are you accusing of being a fanboi? You've got AMD cards so by the same logic that makes you an AMD fanboi no? :rolleyes:

Try not to be an idiot all your life.
I was poking fun at ya qubit and besides my system spec, how do you know if I don't have nvidia hmmm. And nice comment about an idiot, i take you for a more respectable guy then that :eek:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
In before the lock.

If it's build quality then I can vouch for good and bad. I'd reckon Qubit is meaning the reference design cooler which no matter how you look at it (Titan style) is a very good cooler and performs well. I had direct experience of it and it is swishy quiet and even at load, not obscene, easily gone with headphones on quiet.

However, the cooler isn't the issue to me (or others who like to abuse tech). I'm by no means a real modder but the PCB of the 'card ' to me is the most important thing. My Titan still whines if i run enough voltage through it, although it whines a hell of a lot less than my old 7970's. Likewise, everybody knows Titan could've been ugly f*cking fast(er) with a more robust voltage set up.

Then there's BIOS. It may not be a physical build quality but the BIOS is the be all and end all of a quality card. So many cards now seem to limit certain features (usually voltages) and a restrictive BIOS can detract from the fun you want to have (and flashing is scary when the first time you do it is on a slightly expensive Titan).

Then there's vendor restrictions. Nvidia's (and AMD's) commands to partners to not do this or not do that.

The quality of the physical build of a cooler per se pales when you look at the overall design and versatility quality of a card.

I mean c'mon, Nvidia rules have destroyed the credibility of the Lightning range.

Yeah, build quality isn't black and white. Noisy cooler, flimsy plastic - buy a 3rd party or block it. Not technically able to put on a new cooler - get a shop to do it for you.
Good points... still waiting to hear it from the dude who said it and started this.... 'thread'...;)

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Aki
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A
Cooling MSI MAG CoreLiquid E360
Memory Patriot Viper Elite 5 32GB 6200
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard ASUS ROG Strix Scope II Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Play nice. No name calling please. I am just drinking my first cup of java so still a little grumpy...

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I find it a little remarkable that they did something to increase the noise rather than decrease it. I wonder what kind of clocks nvidia could ship GK110 at if they took the same "fuck it" approach.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Does this driver change the earlier Amd card fan speeds? Plus good find.. now I know to wait for a re-vamped 290

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro

I'm not expert but something seems different.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
First thing I did after unboxing my 290X was flip the BIOS switch to the "Uber" position, I play using headphones or my home theater, the card gets really loud but I don't see it throttle.

Gotta admit though, Nvidia's current cooling solutions are far more efficient and elegant, I don't remember ever having throtling or noise issues with my Titans, even before putting them under water. I have to agree with qubit and would really recommend waiting for non reference cards if you want to have a cooler and more silent card.

When you think about it, it's a shame AMD has to saddle card manufacturers with this issue, when you buy a card based on online reviews you expect the same performance from it, the fact that the cards that were issued to the press run faster than what you find out in the wild doesn't help AMD at all, even after using this beta drivers retail cards don't perform as well as review samples...

I just ordered an Arctic Accelero Hybrid for my 290X, I hope to kill to birds with one stone, but the truth is, cards with the reference cooler are not going to perform anywhere close to what you see in the reviews, unless you're willing to sacrifice your ears like I did :p

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Every Nvidia card I have purchased has eventually failed. Every single one. For new cards that's 6 out of 6.

I have 5 working AMD/ATi cards sitting on a shelf.

Just sharing an experience.

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Every Nvidia card I have purchased has eventually failed. Every single one. For new cards that's 6 out of 6.

I have 5 working AMD/ATi cards sitting on a shelf.

Just sharing an experience.

It's funny you mention that, I mean in all my years building PCs I've never had an nvidia card die, but I've had a 9200SE, 9800Pro and X800GTO die on me, while even my good old Riva TNT2 is chugging along in one old Pentium 100Mhz PC in my father's office.

Those Radeons I mention there were highly abused though, and they burned out performing their duty, and now are resting in video card Valhalla or wherever video cards go when they die :p

I'm not trying to contradict your point at all, or say that one manufacturer is better than other, I mean, what are the odds that you would have all of your nvidia cards die, and me have most of my Aticards die? It was just bad fortune for us both to have such luck, you hear horror stories from both sides all the time.

The issue with the 290 though is that cards out there vary wildly on their performance, probably more than you would expect from manufacturing irregularities, and that's a real shame because that chip is a beast, too bad you need a third party cooling solution to tame it...

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
How about we stick to the topic of the article and the cards and not throw names at one another.

I will not close this thread, however I will be watching for poor behavior.

Thanks.

@Blin. The part you commented on has been cleaned up.

the54thvoid

Super Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The Cause Of And Fix For Radeon R9 290X And 290 Inconsistency

The Cause:

Card is designed to run near it's peak operating temperature, hitting about 94 degrees. Once there the fan MUST start blowing hard to keep it at that temp, it's already at it's defined max via BIOS. Though AMD do say it's rated to pass 100 degrees I think. Though at what point the solder weakens, who knows.
Because of it's design it will run hot. And therefore the cooling solution needs to be very aggressive to stop it tipping past.

The Fix:

Faster fan speeds from the get go increase time to Tmax and then to more aggressively cool the chip to allow it to operate near designed BIOS max default clocks.

The Proper Fix:

A better frickin' cooler.

Reactions: HTC
The Cause:

Card is designed to run near it's peak operating temperature, hitting about 94 degrees. Once there the fan MUST start blowing hard to keep it at that temp, it's already at it's defined max via BIOS. Though AMD do say it's rated to pass 100 degrees I think. Though at what point the solder weakens, who knows.
Because of it's design it will run hot. And therefore the cooling solution needs to be very aggressive to stop it tipping past.

The Fix:

Faster fan speeds from the get go increase time to Tmax and then to more aggressively cool the chip to allow it to operate near designed BIOS max default clocks.

The Proper Fix:

A better frickin' cooler.
+1.. which has been discussed in nearly every single review thread of that kind of card...

Since the OP chooses not to respond to any of his assertions in the thread but posts and thanks people, this shit needs closed.

Reporting...:shadedshu

LOL, nice one erocker... I didn't see that until after I reported the thread, hahahahaha! If you close threads about news even though they preceeded them, this one should go that route as well IMO. ;)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Since the OP chooses not to respond to any of his assertions in the thread but posts and thanks people, this shit needs closed.

Damn, what is it with you taking potshots at me over everything ffs? :rolleyes:

Oh and I don't "thank random people" either. They're decent posts that get thanked, end of story. You seem to be very touchy about people thanking others generally.

Ok enough of this offtopic garbage in public - please pm me if you want to reply.

Now, what assertions do you want me to answer? I'm not gonna go looking back through the thread for you so just post them again and I'll answer you. That ok?

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Mine does "WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" all along :laugh:

[yt]
hxRoXuPjAKc
[/yt]

When I went to go find this video to respond to your post, I did not realize that the pigs name was Maxwell which just so happens to be the codename for nvideas next gpu series. :laugh:

Now, what assertions do you want me to answer? I'm not gonna go looking back through the thread for you so just post them again and I'll answer you. That ok?
My first post.............. :slap:

And YHPM. :shadedshu

Edit: next time you ask for a pm, don't insult me, lie about a pm from erocker 'approving' your thread, then put me on ignore...

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It's funny you mention that, I mean in all my years building PCs I've never had an nvidia card die, but I've had a 9200SE, 9800Pro and X800GTO die on me, while even my good old Riva TNT2 is chugging along in one old Pentium 100Mhz PC in my father's office.

Those Radeons I mention there were highly abused though, and they burned out performing their duty, and now are resting in video card Valhalla or wherever video cards go when they die :p

I'm not trying to contradict your point at all, or say that one manufacturer is better than other, I mean, what are the odds that you would have all of your nvidia cards die, and me have most of my Aticards die? It was just bad fortune for us both to have such luck, you hear horror stories from both sides all the time.

The issue with the 290 though is that cards out there vary wildly on their performance, probably more than you would expect from manufacturing irregularities, and that's a real shame because that chip is a beast, too bad you need a third party cooling solution to tame it...

Fair enough Amd are working to fix it(imho a mild issue but then i would have the full cover block too) and the Aib partners will no doubt release the cure at some point before christmass but still, are all these people not using completely different systems in totally different cases with all sorts of fans in all sorts of ambient temps with a variable clocking system that both big vendors use a type of,, and people are surprised about variance, honestly the amount of craziness around these days is on the up, unless:confused::confused:.

Has everyone unified on the exact same system:p

oh 8 Ati/amd cards = 1 death
7 Nvidia cards = 1 death

so there all even here.

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
Issues with Nvidia pricing and issues with AMD cooling. Someone should create a video card with the performance of a 780Ti/R9 290X, sell it like AMD does with their price, and cool it like Nvidia does with their 780/780Ti/Tian (Could even name it AMvidia) and maybe, just maybe, everyone will be happy. :laugh:

System Name Main rig
Processor Intel i7-4790K Devils Canyon
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Case Corsair 600T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-FI HD Platinum
Power Supply Corsair AX750 Gold
doubful, someone will always have a complaint.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Issues with Nvidia pricing and issues with AMD cooling. Someone should create a video card with the performance of a 780Ti/R9 290X, sell it like AMD does with their price, and cool it like Nvidia does with their 780/780Ti/Tian (Could even name it AMvidia) and maybe, just maybe, everyone will be happy. :laugh:

You've cracked me up with that one! :toast:

Now to dream...

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I do wonder what could be made if the collective brainpower of both companies engineers were put together with both companies intellectual property. Saddly this is called monopoly.

and people are surprised about variance, honestly the amount of craziness around these days is on the up, unless:confused::confused:.

Has everyone unified on the exact same system:p.

I do not mean this as an insult man, I swear it, but I think this is a fair question: have you read the article?

I call your attention to this particular graphic:

Same exact system, same architecture, and graphic driver, do you see the discrepancy in performance, the spread is close to 15%, that definitely does not fit under normal manufacturing irregularities in my book.

Look, I talk from personal experience, check the unigine thread in our very own forums, I tried to max out my card, and my system was beat by Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge systems with even less OC than my Haswell CPU, the difference was so big I just quit trying to get more performance from this card.

It's so bad that my original intention was to put this card under water, but why invest all that money for a lemon? I finally just decided to get an Arctic Hybrid for it and call it a day.

This is me, a 290X owner speaking from personal experience, there are way too high discrepancies between 290X cards in the wild, and this article opened my eyes to the issue, the solution, like many others said before is to either get a third party cooler or don't get a reference card at all, sad but true, I learned my lesson the hard way unfortunately.