• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

SpiderOne

Do you know what is strange? I just upgraded to W10 Pro N, installed the drivers (2.79 + the 2.
75 dll, first install 2.79 then copy the 2.75 dll) and the Dolby Digital Live! is selectable in the Realtek control panel, but playing audio doesn't work.

HOWEVER,,,,,

When I play a test tone, all the test tones sound (except for the WMA, but that's how it was on W8.1) in their respective codec.

No 5.1 trough vlc though.

SPECS:
OS = W10 Pro N
CODEC = ALC 1200
REALTEK BASE VERSION = 2.79
UNLOCK DLL = 2.75
TESTMODE = ON
There are two tabs in which you can test. The tab on the far right is where you select the default format and that's where the test tone fails. If you select it to test in the 2nd tab it will test fine.

GeneralOctopusNL

Yeah I just discovered that. When I play music with foobar, it gives me this error:

Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x88890008)

Yes!!! I finally got the dll method to... "work" (other than bug we're waiting for MS to fix...)

2.79 install with the 2.75 dll. I rebooted after every single step (even if possibly unnecessary).

1. 2.79 installer -> uninstall, reboot, install, reboot

2. regedit -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Audio -> New DWORD (32-bit) named DisableProtectedAudioDG and set it to 1. Reboot

3. Delete the RltkAPO64.dll from "C:\Windows\System32" (Personally, I used a little program called File Unlocker to delete it while it was "in use") and replace it with the modified 2.75 dll. Right click and open the properties of the new dll and check unblock near the bottom. Apply. Reboot.

Last edited:

GeneralOctopusNL

Trying it out now!!

EDIT:
Sadly enough this isn't working. I've got testmode enabled, do I need to disable it?

Last edited:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
@mods can we lock this thread and delete the links these drivers are very old
and the op hasn't been back

System Name Leviathan MK II
Processor i7 6700K
Motherboard Maximus VIII Hero
Cooling CM Nepton 240M
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Video Card(s) 980 Ti Strix OC
Display(s) BenQ XL2420Z and XL2420G
Case CM 690 III
Power Supply CM V1000
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Windows 10
1: so my way with Toslink is capable in true dolby digital live and normal DTS with no problem ?

2: Ok my computer is cabled with DVI-to HDMI directly to my tv and not to my receiver. So if i put the hdmi directly to my receiver then its ok ? not a problem that it is a DVI (computer) to HDMI (tv) cable?

3: Why don't i need this unlocked codecs on my pc this way ? is it because the games/movies detects it now from my 5.1 receiver instead? so he dont looks at all if i have it on stereo or dolby live or dts in my realtek settings on pc ?

1. The question was with Dolby Digital Live do you hear the real DTS HD sound. No, because the DTS HD is being converted to Dolby Digital which is a compressed codec allowing 5.1 on SPDIF. DTS HD is lossless and requires HDMI audio to get "True DTS HD" You are however getting true compressed Dolby Digital.

2. If your graphics card does not have HDMI or Displayport outputs than you are not able to do DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD. DVI does not include audio.

3. If your graphics card has HDMI or Displayport then the graphics card becomes the audio card providing audio to the receiver, so SPDIF connection is not necessary or desired. The unlocked drivers are only needed if you are wanting Dolby Digital Live (and/or DTS Interactive) which is needed for multichannel audio on SPDIF.

edit: changed some wording

Trying it out now!!

EDIT:
Sadly enough this isn't working. I've got testmode enabled, do I need to disable it?

What doesn't work? Like I said, this won't fix surround sound through optical until Microsoft fixes it. In your first post you had the dll method "functioning"... the best it's going to until Microsoft fixes the bug that is keeping surround sound from actually working. Did you break it?

GeneralOctopusNL

Nope I didn't, but if you change the format to 2-channels you'll get sound from it. No DDL or DTS though

from answers.microsoft.com :
" I'm using Realtek driver version 6.0.1.7541. Windows 10 I went into the Realtek HD Audio Manager. On the upper right of the box it says, "Device Advanced Settings". Click on that. Where it says "Playback Device", tick the radial that says "Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously". That made the 7.1 option go away, and left me with just the 5.1 option, and now all of my 5.1 speakers work. I have the Center, Subwoofer, and Side pair speakers ticked."

anyone tried this?

still waiting for this to be fixed, and then update to win10...

Sounds like that's for analog, not optical, which I heard is... somewhat fixed... maybe. No change with optical/digital after trying it here.

TomONeill

A Service Pack this quick after release? An update, sure, but SP? Nah, can't find anything on the internet either.
I don't think Windows 10 is going to get Service Packs anyways, they wanted to create an operating system which gets major updates regularly.

Shiroyasha

Attachments

• DonthaveDolbyHome.png
    DonthaveDolbyHome.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 880
hmm... I'm not sure then. I've got all 3 things visible, but of course Dolby and DTS still don't work right on Windows 10. Anyways, if your receiver has forced Dolby (upscaling) abilities, then not having the Dolby Home Theater option shouldn't be an issue because your receiver does it anyways I'd think. Or are you just going straight to speakers?

Shiroyasha

What I have may not be the best receiver in the world, if you can consider it a receiver. What I have is a Logitech Z906 its made for computers so its good enough for me until I can get a real receiver with hand picked speakers.

Looking at it. So it doesn't do upscaling from stereo? dang. I was gonna suggest turning on the virtual surround enhancement, but I see in your image that it doesn't give you that either.

Anyways, I know the pain of having an outdated receiver. With all this trouble of having to use these unlocked drivers, I'd much rather have a newer receiver that actually has HDMI so I don't have to use compressed signals through optical anymore... :( Or, you know... a better sound card and speaker setup (which might be the better option because I already have a 7.1 HDMI DAC that I swap between my PC and consoles, so no need for a receiver for my consoles... until 4K and/or Atmos hit, damnit).

Last edited:
i upgraded to win10. DTS and DD passthrough from media player classic LAV settings is working for me through realetk's digital output. Games only stereo though.....

GeneralOctopusNL

Coaxial output isn't working as well with windows 10. Forgot to mention in my first post.

EDIT:

I've just stumbled across this don't know if it's working though.

ufoludekcrezy

I also agree DTS does not work :( windows 10 blocks something :( please help only works stereo sound through optical connector installed the latest driver updates from the relatek to no avail still silence :(

GeneralOctopusNL

Yeah I know, but here and there I read that some of the fokes that have this same issue thought this was an SPDIF only issue

The link you posted actually references a different bug related to Realtek. That one might have been resolved, but I'm not sure. I'm not using analog.