• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[question] horizontal case ?

i have this problem where my gpu is slightly sagging and it results in an intensive rattling when on load, very annoying.
I've seen many people say "put your case horizontally" and actually, it works , it stops the rattling completly.

my question is: is it bad to place your case horizontally ?Should i? Could i ? the bottom side doesn't have the thing that let's heat go away the case.

System Name Mass Effect/Lost Ark
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X/AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming/Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S/AMD Wraith Max
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200/Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Mech 2x/MSI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSDs x2, WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB 1TB NVME M.2
Display(s) Acer XF270H 1920x1080p @ 144Hz
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG ATX Mid Tower/CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Actis Nova 3 RGB
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 80+ Gold/Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse Thermaltake Level 10 M/Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Edition/Steelseries Apex 3 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro OEM 64bit/Ubuntu 22.04.1 64bit
It shouldn't be a problem. I have an open air system that basically is a motherboard with my components installed lays horizontally. So if I had it in a case like my main rig it would be horizontal like your current system. Which causes less stress since the graphics card's weight doesn't have to be held up. Various computer cases(ex HTPC)literally mount the motherboard this way to save space within an entertainment system. As long as you aren't blocking your airflow whether vertically or horizontally, things should be fine.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
As long as you aren't blocking your airflow whether vertically or horizontally, things should be fine.
this ....! ultra correct...
take a watch.,...

this case can be used as you want... vertical horizontal... duno, as you wish ... the important thing... airflow... just dont let the hot air get stuck on a specific place.... leave it breath.. thats it..

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Loads of cases are designed like this. Look at your local e-tailers for cube chassis, test benches, or HTPC/SFF cases.

System Name Gen2
Processor Ryzen R9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Viii Hero Wifi
Cooling Lian Li 360 Galahad
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64gb @ 3600 Mhz CL14-13-13-24 1T @ 1.45V
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Storage Seagate 520 1TB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + lots of HDD's
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7
Case Lian Li PC-O11D XL White
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex SE Platinum 1000W
Mouse Xenics Titan GX Air Wireless
Keyboard Kemove Snowfox 61
Software Main: Gentoo+Arch + Windows 11
Benchmark Scores Have tried but can't beat the leaders :)
Or put a backplate :) That will prevent sagging

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Once upon a time cases came only in " flat horizontal Desk top"
People wanted their PC off the Desk ( sure do take a lot of Desk Space ) there was a market then for something different which was the desk top on its side and The PC tower System( Vertical ) was born.
You don't See many horizontal desk top systems any more but the Case's are still out there and for sale
Running a tower on its side should not be a problem apart from ugly base being visible and loading optical media into drives

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Loads of cases are designed like this. Look at your local e-tailers for cube chassis, test benches, or HTPC/SFF cases.
In fact, "ALL" computer cases used to be designed like this. They were called, "desktop" cases. People started turning them up on their [then] sides to save desk space so case manufactures started orienting their name badges and button labels that way, then started to call them "towers".

Are you sure the mounting screw is in tight and the card is fully inserted in the slot? Even heavy cards should not sag. If they do, then I would question the quality of the design (and maker) of the card for they know their cards will most likely be used "tower" cases. If sagging was a possibility, they should have designed the card as a double wide card, to be secured to the case in two slots with two mounting screws (as many heavy cards are these days).

I see doresetknob just beat to the desktop comment, but I will leave mine anyway.

BTW, when transporting your PCs, it is best to ship in the desktop orientation, or remove heavy cards and heavy CPU heatsinks.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Should i? Could i ? the bottom side doesn't have the thing that let's heat go away the case.

time to ghetto that case on its side with a 120 fan and vent :) problem solved
and if you revert to tower its hidden :)

In fact, "ALL" computer cases used to be designed like this. They were called, "desktop" cases. People started turning them up on their [then] sides to save desk space so case manufactures started orienting their name badges and button labels that way, then started to call them "towers".

Are you sure the mounting screw is in tight and the card is fully inserted in the slot? Even heavy cards should not sag. If they do, then I would question the quality of the design (and maker) of the card for they know their cards will most likely be used "tower" cases. If sagging was a possibility, they should have designed the card as a double wide card, to be secured to the case in two slots with two mounting screws (as many heavy cards are these days).

I see doresetknob just beat to the desktop comment, but I will leave mine anyway.

BTW, when transporting your PCs, it is best to ship in the desktop orientation, or remove heavy cards and heavy CPU heatsinks.

Yea it's pretty horrible , i've seen people rma the gpu and still have the same problem , sapphire is horrible in terms of rattling noise for the 280x and greater cards but still , many people with nvidia report the same rattling noise problem

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
It may disturb heatpipe based cooler slightly.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I've generally been happy with Sapphire over the years. But history has shown us good companies can go downhill (Corsair PSUs, for example). I would want to know exactly what is making the noise. If the fan bearings, you can replace the fan. If something else, maybe it could be held in place with hot-glue or epoxy putty.

Not it is not uncommon for worn fan bearings to make noise when the fan is oriented on one plane then not when rotated 90°. When the fan is horizontal, for example, the weight of the fan is pressing down evenly all around. When vertical, the weight is always pressing down on the lower point of the channel.

Unless this sagging is causing continuity problems in the socket, I am not sure sagging is really the problem - but rather just the card's orientation.

Can you post an image of this sagging?

I've generally been happy with Sapphire over the years. But history has shown us good companies can go downhill (Corsair PSUs, for example). I would want to know exactly what is making the noise. If the fan bearings, you can replace the fan. If something else, maybe it could be held in place with hot-glue or epoxy putty.

Not it is not uncommon for worn fan bearings to make noise when the fan is oriented on one plane then not when rotated 90°. When the fan is horizontal, for example, the weight of the fan is pressing down evenly all around. When vertical, the weight is always pressing down on the lower point of the channel.

Unless this sagging is causing continuity problems in the socket, I am not sure sagging is really the problem - but rather just the card's orientation.

Can you post an image of this sagging?

You're right this might not be due to saggin because, if i press at a certain spot on the gpu's side and maintain the finger , the rattling goes away , and as soon as i unpress , it goes on again. So perhaps the heatsink hits the sides due to the high RPM of the card which causes it to vibrate.