• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

rxracer

I think even higher end boards with Realtek ALC1150 chips don't come with DDL, even though the chip is more than capable of dealing with it and Realtek list it as an option for OEMs (but strangely not for end users as an upgrade). I'm in the same situation as you rxracer in that my last motherboard which was Intel branded (but far from 'high end'), came with DDL drivers but my new Z170 based board does not (even though both have SPDIF Optical outputs).

What's really required (and what would solve this issue once and for all) is if DDL equipped drivers and software were made available as an optional upgrade by either the motherboard manufacturers, Microsoft or Dolby/DTS. Motherboard manufacturers already provide hardware upgrades such as daughterboards and cables etc. available at extra cost so I can see no reason why this isn't possible. If they are worried about piracy then making the purchased drivers/software locked to a given board serial no should solve that matter. I very much doubt the cost of licencing such technology into the drivers is 'exorbitant' and irrespective of the actual cost, that doesn't let the OEMs off the hook as far as why they don't offer such drivers as an extra cost upgrade (where all stand to benefit financially and it means then end users can get what they want 'the proper way')! The current situation puts a bad name on all involved so the sooner they haggle out a deal which addresses the matter, the sooner their reputations can get back on track. Putting their heads in the sand and pretending the issue will go away, is not an option.

Agreed. The way it is now is silly. A hamstrung sound chip for the sake of greed just isn't right. As for Dolby, I can't presume to know their licensing fee, but it took nearly 4 years and all sorts of issues to have DDL on Creative's X-Fi cards. And when I looked in to getting a second hand one to get around this issue they'd put up a notice that the 'Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect Pack' was no longer being sold as of 1st June this year. I saw it just a week or so before June, but had no card. It's still up. Guess the agreement (to add the fee in to the cost of the cards) ended. It's pathetic. I ended up finding an old C-Media card for AUD$20, paired with Daniel_K's unofficial drivers. Within days of getting it the page 37 fix worked again! :) (I use the unzip, replace file method described above, and by many others). Got a back up at least. Might have to use it if further builds continue to have broken DDL/DTS.

Flying Kiwi

Agreed. The way it is now is silly. A hamstrung sound chip for the sake of greed just isn't right. As for Dolby, I can't presume to know their licensing fee, but it took nearly 4 years and all sorts of issues to have DDL on Creative's X-Fi cards.
Some brands wouldn't even want an extra pound or two tacked onto the price of their products for such additional functionality if they weren't sure it'd end up making them money in the long run. I don't think it's right to blame any one side as being greedy. Not acting in the best interests of end users by not allowing access to DDL and/or DTS technology built into drivers though, that's a different matter and there can be no excuse for that given they could charge for such an add-on!

Hi all !Sorry for my bad english.I m from Russia.I had a problem with drivers After applying the patch Phinto.I deleted patched driver ,but not see eqalizer panel and sound effects in standard realtek drivers r2.80 and another all in analog mode speakers.its see eq and sound effects only on digital output panel (i dont have digital reciever).
I think that the patch that is changed in the registry but can not find it.Please ,HELP ME !!!
I can not reinstall Windows to delete registry keys :(.
Thank you for your help!

Flying Kiwi

I can not reinstall Windows to delete registry keys :(.
Thank you for your help!
What version of Windows are you using? The Dolby Home Theatre v4 PCEE driver setup works well with Windows 7 and 8.x and has excellent graphic equaliser capability so maybe that would meet your needs.

For the sake of dealing with an emergency such as a hard disk failure, it's always worth having the ABILITY to reinstall Windows (although in this situation you shouldn't need to take such drastic action to achieve a suitable outcome). It'd therefore be worth sourcing a method of reinstalling windows such as a Microsoft DVD or even creating a USB Memory Stick with Windows on it. If you are using Windows 10, Microsoft created a media installation tool just for this purpose. If your point was simply that you don't want to reinstall Windows rather than cannot do so then sorry I misunderstood you.

Thanks for reply.I use Windows 10 ent 64 14393.576.I tried Dolby Home theather,but sounds in my opinion is poor then realtek legacy drivers .And I don't want reinstal windows for some reasons..In this moment i use modded drivers for chinese site from latest page.Realtek +XiFiMB5.Eqalizer is worked in X-Fi 5 ,but sounds not very good

Last edited:
Thanks for reply.I use Windows 10 ent 64 14393.576.I tried Dolby Home theather,but sounds in my opinion is poor then realtek legacy drivers .And I don't want reinstal windows for some reasons..In this moment i use modded drivers for chinese site from latest page.Realtek +XiFiMB5.Eqalizer is worked in X-Fi 5 ,but sounds not very good
xfimb5 is oem software do not use better try xfimb3 mod driver
you will find here xfimb3 http://www.3djuegos.com/foros/tema/...cinema-2-mejorando-el-audio-en-chips-onboard/
if you want latest xfim3 then download from creative website extract folder replace setup exe. with old mod driver

disable antivirus
install xfimb3
dont run program or restart pc
creative mod driver you will find 2 folder 1-REG 2-KGA exe.
REG folder : run as admin extract in program data
KGA : run as admin extract in c folder
run KGA as a admin it will generate 35 file
then run BAT file as admin 35 file will disappear
run again kga again 35 file copy or cut file paste in program data creative -SoftwareLock folder
then run again bat.
delete kga, bat
before doing this all please disable antivirus
restart pc enjoy with xfimb3

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, Hello Failed Test Tone, my old friend

Every year just about like clockwork.... (or calendarwork or whatever) Only a little later this time.

I almost feel like maybe this time I won't get back on the Microsoft forums and just see what happens as we get closer to rs2's release in March. Though I don't know if I'll regret that. It's kind of hard to feel like you're accurately reporting problems when you're using a modified driver because of no Dolby/DTS license. (which now might be old)

Unless somebody's got a better idea.....

Flying Kiwi

Ahh, Hello Failed Test Tone
If you mean the setup you have fails the Dolby Atmos test tones, is it a Dolby ATMOS system/speakers? Do you have any reason to believe a Dolby 5.1 setup is compatible with Atmos test tones? I've found several 5.1 test tones that do work with a Dolby Home Theatre v4 PCEE setup where the sound comes out of the direction stated and isn't that what its all about?

Nah, this is older stuff (Pre-Home Theatre I would think). Nothing to do with Atmos. Realtek Optical Dolby and DTS have broken again in the new Windows 10 Insider builds, which has happened every year around this time for the last several years.

Flying Kiwi

Nah, this is older stuff (Pre-Home Theatre I would think). Nothing to do with Atmos.
So what Test Tones are you testing with. Have you tried the 5.1 surround sound tests at Fraunhofer - they work a treat with my 5.1 DDL PC (even though the Atmos Test Tones on Dolby's website stay silent).

I believe the older stuff is configured a bit differently. I'm talkin the Default Format for Optical is set to Dolby or DTS. They only play a 2 channel test tone on Microsoft/Realtek, but they do come through as Dolby or DTS and everything else surround comes through as true surround without further receiver intervention.

But when it fails with a particular Windows build every year, playing the test tone itself says Failed to play Test Tone and or the format is not supported and nothin else works in that Dolby or DTS Default Format.

Last edited:

rxracer

hey jgr9... good to see you. Unfortunately for the wrong reason :(. Did you check my posts a bit further up. I'm back here again after many happy months (probably like you) of functional DDL/DTS. And then build 14986 came along. Broken again. Nothing to do unfortunately. I have the cmedia card, but it was easier to just roll back to 14971. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the next build/s allow the workaround.

@Flying Kiwi - He's talking specifically about Realtek encoding. Working/Not working. The test tone in the Advanced tab has never played back all 5 channels for whatever reason, but so long as you hear a 2 channel tone and you can select DDL or DTS without the 'Failed to play Test Tone' error, you're good to go. The test in the Supported Formats tab always plays back no matter, which is really annoying when it's broken cos you know it's 'there'. The Fraunhofer test is moot. You'll know you have DDL/DTS well before.

Last edited:
Yeah, same thing as previous years. Also, I actually did just manage to get Home Theater installed, but unsurprisingly, the Dolby Digital default format fails just like the others, so it's a no-go. Everything else is not true surround sound.

Ugh... It'd be nice if we had someone who knew how to mod these drivers still around, but I don't think we've seen one for at least a couple years (since the R2.75 mod fix). Even then, this could just completely be a Microsoft end thing.

rxracer

Yeah, same thing as previous years. Also, I actually did just manage to get Home Theater installed, but unsurprisingly, the Dolby Digital default format fails just like the others, so it's a no-go. Everything else is not true surround sound.

Ugh... It'd be nice if we had someone who knew how to mod these drivers still around, but I don't think we've seen one for at least a couple years (since the R2.75 mod fix). Even then, this could just completely be a Microsoft end thing.

Yeah, Pro Logic is as good as it gets. Do you think Microsoft could lock us out for good if they wanted? They have before, and now. This could be the end unless you have a licensed M/B. I miss my 7 year old Gigabyte :). I wonder where the driver mod guy went. Prolly moved on to HDMI passthrough like I think I'll do soon. Support up to Dolby True-HD/DTS-HD has been there since the 600 series. I'd be happy with that for now. I've no interest in a streaming/bluetooth/Spotify, blah blah receiver, but Dolby Atmos/DTS:X is very appealing. I'm a total scrooge though. And I don't know if I'd watch enough content to justify it. One day maybe.

I've always thought that, but really... that hasn't ended up being the case. (unless you count that regedit, which... I don't think has an effect anymore). I think whatever keeps going wrong is going wrong with everyone who has Realtek Optical and even has the Dolby license. (though I could be wrong.)

It feels very likely that we could also reach a point where the mod doesn't work in the Realtek driver anymore (again), and if there's no one around to fix it, then.... we're stuck (unless the older driver still works).

Again, I'm undecided if we should start reporting this again in the Microsoft forum (whether it be answers.microsoft or Technet) if it's just going to break again every year. Especially when it's so painfully rare that we get a response from anyone other than a forum bot.

The first time this happened, it went over a year being broken even with lots of reports on it and sporadic communication with the Audio guy (who has since moved elsewhere in MS) and I believe we only got 1 more response out of an audio guy for the next break.

I don't know what goes on during development for this to happen every year, but if this doesn't get fixed by the March update?.... (if they even know about it?...) then it's gonna suck....

Last edited:

rxracer

Yeah I know. Break, fix, beak fix. Mostly break until this recent stretch. Quite decent run until now. It's been good. Thought it might be over with. Oh my god, the Microsoft support forum! THE most laughable support in the history of internet ever. I thought there was something weird with it. Didn't know they used bots. It all makes sense now!. You're a hopeful (or desperate?) man if your off to them for help :). GL

Hey did you notice this from Microsoft regarding build 1498 - "Now you can use voice commands to have Cortana turn off your computer, change volume — even control music playback and volume on more of your favorite music.....", and so on. That sounds like a big clue as to why it's broken. The actual reason? We'll never know. I hope it's not the cause (pretty certain it is), cos I can't see them undoing that feature. Maybe it'll be modified at some point to 'unbreak' DDL/DTS. :confused:... :ohwell:

Last edited by a moderator:
Um... I doubt it, but they did add in built-in Dolby support for Edge, but that might not be it either. It doesn't really matter what it is anyways I don't think.

I'd just like to know if anyone with an officially licensed motherboard has it working on theirs in this build (14986), but then... why would they show up here?

rxracer

There has to be a reason. Major audio changes... who knows though. I'd also bet money my old M/B would have worked. I never had a single issue, ever. No workaround. Just install the official realtek drivers. But then it's fried, so I can't prove it. I think there has to be ppl with it working, or this thread would be a hell of a lot busier. Just gonna have to wait fr the next build, or few :). You might end up having to bite the bullet and pick up a 2nd hand xonar/cmedia with DDL/DTS. Mine was about US$15. I'd definitely spent more than $15 of my time dealing with this before that. Even that needs unofficial drivers though. So I'm shopping for an HDMI receiver.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
This is a very cool thread :rockout:

Ok, forgive me if I've missed the answer to this.. I swapped out the unlocked driver with a fresh 2.80 driver in win7 64, it's working great except the control panel won't open. It's not the end of the world as I can make basic changes in the playback devices, so selected dts interactive 5.1 surround which my Yamaha receiver is happy with. Is there a simple way to get the control panel working?

I tried a couple of games, no 5.1 in Fo4, Mirrors edge catalyst works amazingly well though! Haven't tried much else, need to try Witcher 3, doom.. Films are working too. Nice!

Thank you, I had no idea it was even possible to put 5.1 through the optical lead from the computer, very happy!

I... think I've seen that happen before, but only temporarily. If it doesn't work again at some point, maybe try the 2.79 or 2.75 drivers, which... I don't think are on the Realtek website anymore. Just don't go changing the Default Format in the Realtek control panel because they won't show up.

Witcher (and maybe Fallout) need a separate unrelated fix found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36h29c/surround_sound_51/crevdwh/

And I should also point out, if you didn't see already, Microsoft broke Dolby and DTS yet again in a Windows 10 Insider Preview build, which happens every year. Never know if it's going to end up getting fixed by the next public release and I'm sick of fighting them for it because getting their support is a pain in the ass to near impossible. (Unless somebody knows a better way.)

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Thanks @Jgr9 , I'll give that a go. :toast:

I was planning to upgrade to W10 soon but I'll hold off if I'll lose the Dolby/DTS again.

tabletop

I have a Lenovo H535 Desktop System connected directly to a creative Megaworks 5.1 system and wonder if I will get surround sound in games with this mod? Is this only for movies with dolby digital and dts support? Because some of my games say that teh have EAX sound and I don't know if thiss will work or not. How do I know which specific realtek chip I have?