• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical Keyboards MK Fission

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
MechanicalKeyboards.com is a prominent retailer of mechanical keyboards, as the name would suggest, based in the USA. Today we get to take a look at their new MK Fission full size keyboard that comes in 18 possible options to choose from, Yes, there is RGB included but perhaps not the way you think.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Just as a note, this company does not offer hassle free returns. If you purchase a keyboard from them and it arrives defective you are responsible for return shipping. In addition, their return process seems to be designed to get you outside of the 30 day period. I purchased two keyboards from them and one of them arrived with an issue. They told me I would not only have to pay return shipping but I would also have to pay for it to be repaired as well (they were an authorized repairer).

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Just as a note, this company does not offer hassle free returns. If you purchase a keyboard from them and it arrives defective you are responsible for return shipping. In addition, their return process seems to be designed to get you outside of the 30 day period. I purchased two keyboards from them and one of them arrived with an issue. They told me I would not only have to pay return shipping but I would also have to pay for it to be repaired as well (they were an authorized repairer).

Yeah the delivery to them is a hassle, but I find it hard to believe they made you pay for an issue within warranty. I have used them before as a regular customer, had an issue with the keyboard and they fixed and shipped it back at their cost. Every one I have seen use them on Reddit, Geekhack and OCN also mentioned the same. You should contact them and get a refund for the repair cost, as that is not their policy.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Yeah the delivery to them is a hassle, but I find it hard to believe they made you pay for an issue within warranty. I have used them before as a regular customer, had an issue with the keyboard and they fixed and shipped it back at their cost. Every one I have seen use them on Reddit, Geekhack and OCN also mentioned the same. You should contact them and get a refund for the repair cost, as that is not their policy.

Maybe I got a bad rep or something but when I emailed them I was referred to their return policy here

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/customer_service.php?t=What are your RMA Policies?

I didn't actually go through with the return, I just dealt with the issue myself. I was not about to pay for a keyboard to be repaired when it was less than 60 days old. The person who was helping me wouldn't give me any direct answers and kept referring to their policy sheet.

Here is the policy right from their website

"

RETURN / RMA SHIPPING COSTS.
Mechanical Keyboards Inc accepts returns and repairs from any customer, regardless of their location. However, we are NOT responsible for return shipping expenses - even in the case of manufacturer's defects upon arrival. We strongly recommend researching a given manufacturer's RMA policies in your country before purchasing your keyboard."

I buy something that doesn't work on Ebay? Return with no shipping costs to me. Amazon is even better. There really is no excuse for them to not cover return shipping costs of goods received damaged. If I lived in a country like Australia, customer protection laws would prevent this kind of situation where the buyer is not left whole, that is with no product and less money then they started.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
It mentions shipping, but not the actual repair costs which is what I was wondering about. But I definitely recommend checking out the RMA/return policy of every retailer, as not everyone includes free shipping on these.

It is a valid concern here since MK is both the retailer and the product maker, making it relevant to the product review. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I will again mention mine was pleasant to the point where I am considering strongly purchasing one more for myself.

Looks extremely basic, control panel reminds me of 1990 and it costs more than some Corsair keyboards. Would i buy it? No.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
It mentions shipping, but not the actual repair costs which is what I was wondering about. But I definitely recommend checking out the RMA/return policy of every retailer, as not everyone includes free shipping on these.

It is a valid concern here since MK is both the retailer and the product maker, making it relevant to the product review. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I will again mention mine was pleasant to the point where I am considering strongly purchasing one more for myself.

You are completely right, I should have checked their policy before I purchased. I made a bad assumption based on what most online retailers do. If someone from MK is reading this, I would be more than willing to given them a 2nd chance if they amended their return policy. Not standing behind the product makes it seem like they aren't confident in what they sell, even if they do really make and sell great keyboards.

Kurama03

Looks extremely basic, control panel reminds me of 1990 and it costs more than some Corsair keyboards. Would i buy it? No. that is good answer

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
You are completely right, I should have checked their policy before I purchased. I made a bad assumption based on what most online retailers do. If someone from MK is reading this, I would be more than willing to given them a 2nd chance if they amended their return policy. Not standing behind the product makes it seem like they aren't confident in what they sell, even if they do really make and sell great keyboards.

I will be linking this thread to them later today.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I just got a reply from them, and they sent the email template they use in cases where a faulty keyboard is sent out and needs RMA within the first 30 days:

"I'm sorry that you are having troubles with your new keyboard. We can do one of two things:

1. We email a prepaid return label, and you pack up and ship the defective keyboard in new condition with the provided label. Once we receive the returned defective keyboard, and have inspected it to ensure it is in new condition; we will then ship out a fully-functioning keyboard. If for some reason the returned keyboard is missing any items, or is not new for any reason, your original purchase will be treated as a standard return and restocking fees will apply.

2. If you would like faster service, we can email a PayPal invoice for the cost of another keyboard, and then once paid we will ship a checked replacement out to you with a printed shipping label for use shipping the other keyboard to us. Once we receive the defective keyboard, it will be inspected and if not in new condition, or missing any parts, the refund of the invoice will be assessed additional fees.

Please let us know which appeals most to you.

However, we need to be alerted within a certain number of days of receipt. If you wait until day 29 to say something was wrong from the beginning, a restock fee will be applied to the return.

BUT - if you return the keyboard to purchase another, no fees are deducted from the refund. If you return a keyboard for a refund, but no replacement, that's when fees are applied."

This seems pretty reasonable and accommodating to me, so I will expect this from them for customers henceforth.