• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Steam Changes Indie Game Policy. For Better or Worse?

That´s exactly my point. I know there are good games but you will need to tell me wich ones. Or I will need to research big time. They get constantly overshadowed by crappy stuff. There should be better quality control over this stuff. Is a mess right now as it is and this won´t convince any console player.

I don´t want PC gaming to be associated with league of legends/DOTA 2 and shovelware indies. Time to move on with all the better capabilities of our platform.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc (awaiting wkd to install ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB)
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Black; 2x 4TB WD Black; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
That´s exactly my point. I know there are good games but you will need to tell me wich ones. Or I will need to research big time. They get constantly overshadowed by crappy stuff. There should be better quality control over this stuff. Is a mess right now as it is and this won´t convince any console player.

I don´t want PC gaming to be associated with league of legends/DOTA 2 and shovelware indies. Time to move on with all the better capabilities of our platform.

I was about to amend my previous post, but saw you had responded. I can get a nice list together for you at home.
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/what-are-you-playing.204644/page-128#post-3564662

Steam link is in the posting.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024

It was actually hard writing this article to not "overuse the term 'shovelware'" (As w1zzard put it). It's hard, because the term is so accurate for the problem the industry is encountering, and yet so very unprofessional sounding from a journalistic perspective, lol.

But I agree with you completely. :)

There are a fair amount of Indie games that do fill that fun, A-role you described. I mentioned one above, and there's a lot more! Unfortunately they get overshadowed by the large amount of Indie crap.
Valley doesn't look like my cup of tea but it does look like a decent game nonetheless. The indie moniker has gotten a bit too broad these days when something making an effort can get lumped in with total junk someone might debate purchasing at $5.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc (awaiting wkd to install ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB)
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Black; 2x 4TB WD Black; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
The indie moniker has gotten a bit too broad these days when something making an effort can get lumped in with total junk someone might debate purchasing at $5.

Yep, you are correct. Which is why I really look for my perceived quality margin to be crossed. Then I will find any and all reviews I can. I will even settle for some Steam user reviews, because e I can quickly gloss over the one, good and bad, that had no business writing a review.

Sometimes, like with Valley above, I will just take a chance since the production value looked high. Sometimes I will goo on another TPU member suggestion. I gor Dead Effect 1 and 2 that way after RejZoR kept writing about how much fun he was having and how amazed he was it wasn't a big studio. So yeah, to find the good stuff takes some work, but I feel it's worth it. :)