• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The eGFX Breakaway Puck Turns Your Ordinary Laptop Into a High-End Gaming PC

I'm excited about this product. I don't think the price is that high when you take into consideration what other eGPU solutions cost, and also what premium one would usually pay to have a decent dGPU on a laptop.

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm excited about this product. I don't think the price is that high when you take into consideration what other eGPU solutions cost, and also what premium one would usually pay to have a decent dGPU on a laptop.
You're not wrong, but paying $500 for the equivalent of a $110 desktop GPU isn't exactly an enticing prospect.

This title is a joke! Who in their right mind would consider a PC running a RX 560 or RX 570 videocard a "High-End Gaming PC"? LOL
Since when is a 570 a high-end gaming machine??
It really depends on who you talk to. Compared to most laptop and mainstream desktop offerings, these GPU's would be higher end components.

What some will find irritating is that there are 3 DP jacks and only 1[?!?] HDMI? 2 and 2 would make much more sense.

System Name Hotbox
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
It really depends on who you talk to. Compared to most laptop and mainstream desktop offerings, these GPU's would be higher end components.

What some will find irritating is that there are 3 DP jacks and only 1[?!?] HDMI? 2 and 2 would make much more sense.
The main market is probably people connecting multiple monitors in a business/workstation environment who also want some extra oomph for CAD or something similar - and DP is king in business monitors (for good reason). Not to mention that it's infinitely adaptable without expensive active dongles, unlike HDMI, and has more bandwidth.

The main market is probably people connecting multiple monitors in a business/workstation environment who also want some extra oomph for CAD or something similar - and DP is king in business monitors (for good reason). Not to mention that it's infinitely adaptable without expensive active dongles, unlike HDMI, and has more bandwidth.
I'm not arguing that DP is king in business and workstation sectors, because duh. This addon device is aimed at gamers with laptops. HDMI is, by far, the more widely adopted and used standard by the general public, which is who this device is aimed at. Thus the logic of my previous comment. Additionally, it is uncommon to find someone using more that two extra displays. It is more common to find people using one or two extra displays. so having two DP's and two HDMI's makes MUCH more sense.

System Name Hotbox
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Mouse Logitech G603
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not arguing that DP is king in business and workstation sectors, because duh. This addon device is aimed at gamers with laptops. HDMI is, by far, the more widely adopted and used standard by the general public, which is who this device is aimed at. Thus the logic of my previous comment. Additionally, it is uncommon to find someone using more that two extra displays. It is more common to find people using one or two extra displays. so having two DP's and two HDMI's makes MUCH more sense.
I don't quite agree. If you look at the product page, it's as much angled at multi-monitor workstations and GPU-accelerated work as at gaming. I'd bet the market there is significantly larger too - there are probably plenty of Mac-toting (or just ultrabook-toting) business people, designers or engineers out there who could use some extra GPU power and display outputs, and $500 for some extra productivity is less of a bitter pill to swallow than $500 for "decent" 1080p gaming.