• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Lawyering Up" - Coinbase to Send Data on 13,000 Users to the IRS

Your profit margin at cashout. The SEC already declared this pretty clearly, IIRC. I don't have any documents to back it up though which is why I urge consulting a professional.
If that's true, then it's reasonable and makes sense. Capital gains however seems a bit high for an individual. Filing under 1099c as personal income seems more appropriate taxation.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
They're not happy wasting 90% of your actual income tax, so of course they're coming to steal the rest to give to their criminal friends.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
so you mine with Ryzen R3 1200 only? if answer to that question is "No, but..." = sorry to burst your bubble but you are full of shyte and your statement "And my energy usage went down when I started mining" is a LIE !

My homes energy usage went down. I have meter readings and statements to prove it. You can acomplish this via decommissioning hardware you aren't using and combining it with the miner. In my case, my miner became/replaced my NAS which used to be a very power hungry core 2 quad system.

You seem to be misunderstanding my statement. That does not make it a lie. You don't automatically consume more power just because you mine, in my case my miner only draws 500W of my household power, or about 10 light bulbs worth. The core 2 quad drew more, and I still have an active gaming system that draws more under load. Sorry, but that's just how it is.

Here is my statement, live. I started mining in early/mid december. Note the slight downward trend despite the weather getting colder here in Washington:

statement.png

If that's true, then it's reasonable and makes sense. Capital gains however seems a bit high for an individual. Filing under 1099c as personal income seems more appropriate taxation.

It might actually be personal income, it's one or the other. This is one of those things where "I have a guy for that" is the statement that comes to mind.

I'll ask him later. :)

Last edited:
System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
My homes energy usage went down. I have meter readings and statements to prove it. You can acomplish this via decomisioning hardware you aren't using and combining it with the miner. In my case, my miner became/replaced my NAS which used to be a very power hungry core 2 quad system.

You seem to be misunderstanding my statement. That does not make it a lie. You don't automatically consume more power just because you mine, in my case my miner only draws 500W of my household power, or about 10 light bulbs worth. The core 2 quad drew more, and I still have an active gaming system that draws more under load. Sorry, but that's just how it is.
I just cant take more of your "alternative facts" (you mine on gpus 24/7 and tell me about NAS and ryzen R3). lets assume I am wrong here and you are right (GPUs should not be counted in electricity/CO2 bill and we should only talk about NAS vs Core2 in mining context :kookoo:) - but why you keep on writing? what purpose in your BS you see?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
GPUs should not be counted in electricity/CO2 bill and we should only talk about NAS vs Core2 in mining context

I AM counting the GPUs.

what purpose in your BS you see?

Mainly, the truth. I don't doctor statements. I'm a journalist and I consider my integrity far too important to risk over something so silly. The proof is above, do with it what you will. IBM x-servers from the Core 2 era are power hungry. End of story. I didn't claim mining was energy efficient, only that my home energy bill dropped overall from some smart choices. That isn't "alternative facts," it's my life and anyone can do it if they want to make sacrifices elsewhere to mine.

System Name gamingPZ
Processor i7-6700k
Motherboard Asrock Z170M Pro4S
Cooling scythe mugen4
Memory 32GB ddr4 2400mhz crucial ballistix sport lt
Video Card(s) gigabyte GTX 1070 ti
Storage ssd - crucial MX500 1TB
Case silverstone sugo sg10
Power Supply Evga G2 650w
Software win10
I quote your "truth" again: "...And my energy usage went down when I started mining..."... and that is a LIE 100%, and that is why I got triggered. the fact that you did clean up the house (and got rid of inefficient Core 2 server) has nothing to do with mining - you could do it anytime with or without mining! but whatever - I wont answer to your BS again.

I wont answer to your BS again.
Good, now let's get back to our regularly scheduled program..
It might actually be personal income, it's one or the other.
I looked this up. Running a small business from home there are complexities for people like me. For you doing it out of personal interest, it would actually seem to fall under personal income which would be a schedule 1099c. Of course get professional input though. This is new territory for most tax professionals but pointing out that you do this at home on personal equipment seems like it would qualify.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
LOL do none of you know why bitcoin was originally invented? the entire purpose of cryptocurrency was originally to escape the big banks... do you know how many peoples lives were ruined by wall street greed and housing loan sharks that led to the 2008 Great Recession... the entire point of all cryptocurrecy was to not have to rely on big banks or be at the whim of government ever again, but someone got the bright idea to make the backbone of Bitcoin of fiat exchanges.

Monero is the only future, ANON, you work for x hours or do a job for x person, he sends Monero to your wallet from his Monero wallet, and x guy down the street sells games for x Monero as well. Fiat will always be king. but don't tell me you don't understand what cryptocurrency was supposed to be... sad... I was mining in 2012 but formatted my HDD thinking nothing would come of it and that big banks were too powerful... so sad the way people look at it all now. :/

I hear you lynx, but the fact of the matter is that there will never be a successful exchange that the bankers don't control. What they can't control today, they can control tomorrow if they choose to. People using cryptocurrencies is akin to treating a symptom rather than the source. The People first need to gain legislative control at their county, then state and lastly the federal level to gain back control of their lives.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
I quote your "truth" again: "...And my energy usage went down when I started mining..."... and that is a LIE 100%, and that is why I got triggered. the fact that you did clean up the house (and got rid of inefficient Core 2 server) has nothing to do with mining - you could do it anytime with or without mining! but whatever - I wont answer to your BS again.
Let me put this into more kindergarten terms.

He stopped using some server computer he was using that drew many watts of power. He started mining with 2 1080s the draw less than the server he was using. He saw a small power draw decrease on his power bill statement.
END OF STORY.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Let me put this into more kindergarten terms.

He stopped using some server computer he was using that drew many watts of power. He started mining with 2 1080s the draw less than the server he was using. He saw a small power draw decrease on his power bill statement.
END OF STORY.

That is indeed all I was trying to say. There is no need for anyone to get triggered.

System Name MSI GP76
Processor intel i7 11800h
Cooling 2 laptop fans
Memory 32gb of 3000mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage x2 PNY 8tb cs2130 m.2 SSD--16tb of space
Display(s) 17.3" IPS 1920x1080 240Hz
Power Supply 280w laptop power supply
Mouse Logitech m705
Keyboard laptop keyboard
Software lots of movies and Windows 10 with win 7 shell
Benchmark Scores Good enough for me
That is indeed all I was trying to say. There is no need for anyone to get triggered.
Maybe he/she had a bad day on the job or wife/husband is nagging him/her to life.
To me, anyone that uses "triggered" or "the internet went crazy/broke the internet" or "salty", to me has less than average IQ or failed English classes. I don't tend to believe them.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Maybe he/she had a bad day on the job or wife/husband is nagging him/her to life.
To me, anyone that uses "triggered" or "the internet went crazy/broke the internet" or "salty", to me has less than average IQ or failed English classes. I don't tend to believe them.

Or simply came from reddit or anywhere that uses "net lingo."

I get what you are saying but words like that are practically mainstream now.

Processor 8700k
Motherboard ASUS Z370 prime-a
Cooling Thermalright extreme ultra black
Memory Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Video Card(s) 1060
Storage 850 EVO
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Corsair RM650x
Mouse 2009 Mamba
Keyboard Logitech K120
I see taxes in case of securities trading is just form of insurance, and attempt to regulate and stabilize the price by encouraging holding long term and easing on stupid people getting broke, by deducting losses from the taxes, giving back money basically.
From one side it should look positive for the market, theoretically prevent pump and dump schemes, reduce volatility, maybe give more confidence to institutions and encourage adoption.
On the other side, for the average person it's annoying because it's more hassle to do, it discourage smarter decision making, not everyone is honest and wanna care about it, the government takes their cut as well, but it is what it is.
I wouldn't complain if the system was fair and automatic, so you don't need to run around doing paper work, hire accountants and lawyers, and hope everyone else doing the same. So we'll see what happens.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

You're missing the context - which was: is it possible for the IRS to determine you're mining because your energy usage went up. And yes, it is, but you my also stumble upon a lot more people who actually did something else. And on the other end you may actually miss out on the miners who have done similar to @R-T-B. Hence the pot farm comment, as well..