• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Aquantia Introduces World's First USB to Multi-Gig Ethernet Controller

Aquantia, a leader in Multi-Gig Ethernet, today introduced the AQtion AQC111U and AQC112U, two USB to Multi-Gig Ethernet controller ICs for third-party USB v3.1 adapters and docking stations. These high-performance, small footprint devices enable a new class of accessories for laptop users who want mobility combined with the reliability and performance of wired Multi-Gig Ethernet connectivity when at their desks. The small form factor of these adapters makes them a perfect solution for notebook users.

Transitioning the notebook market to Multi-Gig is a huge opportunity. Global notebook shipments for 2017 registered 161.6 million units. At the same time the total docking station market is anticipated to reach 7.52 billion USD in revenue by 2024. Further, the global docking station market is expected to witness a CAGR of 5.42% over the forecast period.

The ubiquity of the USB connection also makes these new adapters and docking stations suitable for use with desktops, game consoles, home gateways or any system with a USB 3.x port that would benefit from a high-speed network connection.

Aquantia is working with a number of manufacturers to deliver after-market Multi-Gig adapters and docking stations. The first manufacturers to introduce products based on these new devices will be Bizlink, Edimax, Goodway and Sunrich. Aquantia will showcase the first adapters based on the AQtion AQC111U at Computex 2018. These adapters will be available for purchase in Q4 2018.

"The circle of Multi-Gig Ethernet influence is growing steadily. Introducing this new category to the AQtion family supports the Aquantia mission to convert all Gigabit Ethernet ports to Multi-Gig connections," said LK Bhupathi, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Aquantia Corp. "Partnering with industry leaders like Bizlink, Edimax, Goodway and Sunrich allows us to service an increasing number of customers with a simple, seamless upgrade path to Multi-Gig connectivity."

The new AQtion AQC111U and AQC112U controllers offer up to 5Gbps and 2.5Gbps connectivity, respectively and incorporate Aquantia industry proven AQrate PHY technology. They are the first devices to enable true Multi-Gig connectivity speeds over 100 meters of standard Cat 5e cabling for external Ethernet solutions. Both devices are compliant with the IEEE 802.3bz standard ratified in September 2016 and the NBASE-T Alliance PHY specification. For maximum flexibility both devices are also backward-compatible with legacy 1000BASE-T (Gigabit) and 100BASE-TX (Fast) Ethernet. A full product brief on the AQtion AQC111U and AQC112U is available here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Wow, never heard of "Multi-Gig" tech and it's pretty impressive.

I'm kind of excited to see what it can really do on an enterprise scenario.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit

I'm not sure how new these are.

I think what is new is the use of USB 3.1 but that is about it.

We have already seen the Aquantia AQC108 multi-gigabit solution (5GBASE-T/ 2.5GBASE-T/1000BASE-T/100BASE-TX) Ethernet Controller in x4, x2, x1 PCIe Gen3 / Gen2 cards as well as integration into some motherboards.

So its faster then 1gbe with respect to 2.5gbe and 5gbe but the more traditional 10gbe is faster. I'd rather have an old SPF+ 10gbe NIC simply because it cheaper and faster.

USB 3.1 2.5gbe and 5gbe could be very convenient for laptops though,....

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
What a bummer, I'm so didappointed. When I saw the title I was hoping it'd be a 10GBase-T capable adapter (and hopefully under $100) but then I saw the 5Gbit max....my 10gig network at home uses a switch(Netgear XS728T) that can't do multigig including 5gig...for a moment I thought I might have finally said goodbye to buying Intel X550-T1's and T2's (@$300-$350 each)....I should have known, if it's too good to be true, it probably is...

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
Not sure that speed would be handy outside of an intranet, and I have seen similar style adapters with USB's and Video ports as well as an Ethernet port.

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10

Multigig is a relatively recent addition to consumer networking, so the issue is that people like myself who have a 10GBase-T home network, most likely built it with a switch that was made prior to multigig, like my Netgear XS728T, so basically unless I want to buy a new switch, multigig is off limits for me.

I'm not sure how new these are.

I think what is new is the use of USB 3.1 but that is about it.

We have already seen the Aquantia AQC108 multi-gigabit solution (5GBASE-T/ 2.5GBASE-T/1000BASE-T/100BASE-TX) Ethernet Controller in x4, x2, x1 PCIe Gen3 / Gen2 cards as well as integration into some motherboards.

So its faster then 1gbe with respect to 2.5gbe and 5gbe but the more traditional 10gbe is faster. I'd rather have an old SPF+ 10gbe NIC simply because it cheaper and faster.

USB 3.1 2.5gbe and 5gbe could be very convenient for laptops though,....

A lot of people assume going with SFP+ connections is cheaper, but in the end, it's for all intents and purposes, impossible to wire up a home network with SAC cables since they come in static, defined lengths and not on a spool where you can terminate it yourself...meaning you'd have to go with MMF to do a home 10gig network using SFP+ Mics, and I don't know from experience, but I'd imagine that's a lot more expensive and difficult than running a terminating CAT6a.

Multi-Gig seems more suitable for business where they have an existing CAT5-CAT6 infrastructure and they want to boost their LAN speed above 1GB without having to recable everything using CAT6e or CAT7 .

SFP+ and 10GB networks aren't for the same use. 10GB networks won't need multigig (if you're all equipped) and SFP+ is fiber optical, which is for long distances. Never saw a PC plugged in SFP+.

System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
Multigig is a relatively recent addition to consumer networking, so the issue is that people like myself who have a 10GBase-T home network, most likely built it with a switch that was made prior to multigig, like my Netgear XS728T, so basically unless I want to buy a new switch, multigig is off limits for me.

This. SO. Much. This. I'm fine with the NIC not actually doing more than 4-5gbit/s, but it would be really nice if it could work with my existing infrastructure that I paid good money for.

A lot of people assume going with SFP+ connections is cheaper, but in the end, it's for all intents and purposes, impossible to wire up a home network with SAC cables since they come in static, defined lengths and not on a spool where you can terminate it yourself...meaning you'd have to go with MMF to do a home 10gig network using SFP+ Mics, and I don't know from experience, but I'd imagine that's a lot more expensive and difficult than running a terminating CAT6a.

Right now 8P8C/RJ45 copper 10G has finally reached price parity with SFP+, and only just. Besides price though, dealing with 10G 8P8C is annoying as all hell: first you like need to upgrade your CAT5/5e to CAT6A cabling (which is a bitch to work with), then once you've crimped it/punched it down, you need to actually test and certify the run for proper 10G capability (which isn't free). Meanwhile, most OM3 and OM4 runs of MMF can do 25G just fine (that's beginning rollout now) so you don't need to recable the place if you already have 10G rolled out over fibre.

On top of that, OM4 and OM5 MMF cabling just doesn't cost that much more than CAT6A; is easier to work with cause it's lighter, thinner, and more flexible than 6A (you're not supposed to bend 6A past ~10mm bend radius, compared to Corning ClearCurve fiber's 5mm bend radius); and is good for 25G, with likely possibilities of going to 100G. If you prefer something that lasts longer, just install OS2 SMF instead, which should be good for at least 400G.. and costs the same. The bit that does cost a bit more than classic 8P8C cabling is the optics.

The optics, on the other hand, have seriously gone down in price compared to years ago, thanks to the efforts of the big cloud providers to go cheap... to the point where you can pick up 10G SFP+ MMF modules for 16USD each, 10SFP+ SMF as from 34USD each; 40G is 39USD per MMF optic, and as from 340USD per SMF optic; and 100G is 199USD per MMF optic, and as from 999USD per SMF optic. (prices on fs.com at time of writing). There is only on direction that these are gonna go, and it's downwards.

Overall, if you can/have to run new cable, consider at least running some fibre in (fs.com sells premade fibre patch cables you can pull through a wall, patch panels and so on, and will help you pick all the bits you need), cause the wiritng is on the wall that 10G may well be the final evolution of ethernet on 8P8C (40G on 8P8C is expected to just clear it on CAT8 cabling, with fully shielded everything... and only over a mioserly 30m), and 40G may well be the final evolution of short cabling runs (Thunderbolt 3).

Multi-Gig seems more suitable for business where they have an existing CAT5-CAT6 infrastructure and they want to boost their LAN speed above 1GB without having to recable everything using CAT6e or CAT7 .

SFP+ and 10GB networks aren't for the same use. 10GB networks won't need multigig (if you're all equipped) and SFP+ is fiber optical, which is for long distances. Never saw a PC plugged in SFP+.

Multigig is the "oh shit we can't do 10G on copper without tearing all out hair out" panic move. Those of use who have needed >1G of speed have gone fibre since a few years already. I have QSFP+ 40G in my desktop, for example, up from my 10G link 3 years ago.