• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Owners of Seasonic Focus Gold PSU's... coil whine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
So the coil whine (harmonics) would not change due to size of PSU? A smaller unit working harder VS a larger unit that"s not taxed as hard and has more reserve?
Given that a typical PC won't load it over 20W combined - definitely. If you are more interested in a total load - same thing. The OP's PC is barely using 25% of the potential of his 550W PSU at full load... what kind of "working harder" are we talking about, I just can't get whattahell do you mean by it on these types of active load? It's a friggin' R3 1200 with a GTX 1050(non-Ti)...

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Given that a typical PC won't load it over 20W combined - definitely. If you are more interested in a total load - same thing. The OP's PC is barely using 25% of the potential of his 550W PSU at full load... what kind of "working harder" are we talking about, I just can't get whattahell do you mean by it on these types of active load? It's a friggin' R3 1200 with a GTX 1050(non-Ti)...

You are doing a math equation. The question is how it (size) relates to "harmonics", because the OP has had a bad time recording music, his main intended goal.

EDIT:
Here is the picture (distinction) I'm trying to draw: Is it valid in terms of "harmonics"?

Low watt = low price = low quality parts : shitty sound.

Higher watt = higher price = higher quality parts : better sound

Last edited:
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I've owned several seasonics from different brands and currently use a seasonic focus plus in my gaming PC. I had coil whine issues in two of the seasonic units straight out of the box, both got returned asap. Never had an issue with CWT or Delta built units but the latter is hard to find anymore outside of mass produced pcs. The corsair cwt units are great like the txt-m series. They have a good price, good performance, and great customer service from corsair.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Interesting input so far guys, thanks. I've been doing some reading myself but sometimes it helps to actually have the conversations.

Just a few things I wanna note.

I don't think it's necessarily straining. 550w would usually be sufficient headroom for this build. The voltage readouts for all rails are near-perfect, too. If there's any strain at all, I'm not seeing signs of it, even doing tests under heavy load. From the moment I boot up it's there and it stays that way. The sound doesn't even change if I try to max both CPU and GPU. The only reason I assume 5v rail is suspect is because it is carrying over to the USB bus and it doesn't seem to care if that interface and my mouse/KB are the only things on it. Maybe it's just carrying through everywhere. But it was just a passing observation to begin with.

Experiences recently are telling me that the USB bus is just generally finicky when it comes to input power. A badly shielded outlet gave me some real trouble there recently. Somebody mentioned that if it's carrying through to the speakers it's something else, but my experience says that all it takes is to have bad power going in and USB audio can pick up all sorts of nastyness, especially USB-powered stuff, such as my interface. I'd believe that nothing is wrong with anything else in this rig. Especially since I can clearly hear the whine both coming straight from the PSU and being directly mimicked through the speakers, ONLY when they're plugged into a bus-powered device.

I also have a USB/optical DAC that is self powered feeding these same speakers. Doesn't pick up the whine with either input... ...and it's only got unbalanced outs. So that right there narrows it down. As soon as I plug in that powered interface (or if past experience still stands, ANY usb powered interface - I've tried several - all with the same susceptibility to power noise,) I'm going to hear the noise passing right through balanced outs to the speakers. Last time, dealing with the bad outlet, I tried swapping every component in this thing with parts from my B-rig, after verifying that the B-rig was in fact noise-free. Different case, no case, different GPU, different PSU, no unneeded stuff, different mobo, etc. I mean, I tried everything. Ferrites, isolators, ground lifts, all manner of cables, hubs that use their own wall power... didn't matter because that outlet was just bad and bad power going into the mobo was enough. Ultimately I did have a bad mobo too, but I swapped that and that problem fully went away. The current components in this rig did not have this issue. It was when I put in the Seasonic that I started having problems. Doesn't mean there aren't other susceptibilities in say, the mobo - perhaps a better mobo wouldn't pick this up, but at this point the source is clear.

I can see the headroom argument. A higher price, higher wattage unit may very well be what it comes down to, or at least it takes another potential factor out of the equation. But my concern there is that even people with units like that sometimes experience whine. Some are even sort of known for it. Seems like more a matter of how the coil is placed and wrapped. A whiny coil isn't necessarily bad, and for most people a little whine isn't as much of an issue as consistency and reliability, which aren't necessarily affected. I'm willing to believe that almost all PSU's exhibit whine, and it's just a matter of whether you can hear it or not. Obviously construction matters there, though.

But still, I think I'd be more willing to try a higher wattage, higher-quality unit over a cheaper one at this point. As mentioned, sound is a major concern and I am willing to pay more than I otherwise would to take care of it, even if I'm technically "over-spec." I know all too well as someone who's worked on amplifiers that good sound starts with good power. I'm just not sure that simply picking a good PSU with known good design/components will be enough. It's one of those weird, specific things where it's hard to know what to look for to know you're getting what you want. Hell, half of the time it's just luck, though looking at some of the comments here I might be ruling out Seasonic. Maybe Corsair, too. Depends on what I can turn up about the ones I'm looking at. I dunno. Doesn't cost me anything but time to give a replacement Seasonic a shot, I suppose.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
What do you mean by, "like with my problem before"? Is that with more than one PSU?
The problem is, like with my problem before, it carried up into the interface and gets broadcasted through the speakers.
That's not coil whine then! That's interference.

Coil whine is caused by actual physical vibrations in the windings of the inductor (coil) - like plucking a guitar string or the movement of your own vocal cords. Only instead of fingers plucking or air moving past causing the vibrations, it is expanding and contracting magnetic fields.

If you can hear this whine coming through your speakers, that is interference from something else, either generated from within the electronics of the PSU, or being introduced by some other nearby component or device that is faulty. It can also be due to electrical "noise" that is not being properly suppressed - perhaps through a faulty ground. It can even come from something totally unrelated to your computer, like a nearby microwave oven or your refrigerator.

Test the PSU outside your computer on a bread board. Can you hear the whine then? And note if you have experienced this problem with 2 different PSUs, it is not likely a PSU problem.

Check your wall outlet wiring using an AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded.

And when it comes to audio "noise", this is important - make sure your computer and your speaker amplifiers (built in to the subwoofer of most computer speakers) are at the "same ground potential". You do this simply by ensuring both the computer and the speakers are plugged into the same wall outlet.

Remember, even two outlets in the same room on the same facility circuit will have different ground potentials. This is because the distance back to the circuit panel and Earth ground will be different. Any "difference in potentials" can cause (or fail to suppress) noise.

Alternatively, you can run a tiny (AWG22 is fine) hookup wire between bare metal of your PC case to bare metal of your subwoofer to ensure the grounds are at the same potential.

D

Deleted member 178884

No problems with my seasonic snow silent 750w - my fav psu and best purchase

Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2

AsRock

TPU addict
Interesting input so far guys, thanks. I've been doing some reading myself but sometimes it helps to actually have the conversations.

Just a few things I wanna note.

I don't think it's necessarily straining. 550w would usually be sufficient headroom for this build. The voltage readouts for all rails are near-perfect, too. If there's any strain at all, I'm not seeing signs of it, even doing tests under heavy load. From the moment I boot up it's there and it stays that way. The sound doesn't even change if I try to max both CPU and GPU. The only reason I assume 5v rail is suspect is because it is carrying over to the USB bus and it doesn't seem to care if that interface and my mouse/KB are the only things on it. Maybe it's just carrying through everywhere. But it was just a passing observation to begin with.

Experiences recently are telling me that the USB bus is just generally finicky when it comes to input power. A badly shielded outlet gave me some real trouble there recently. Somebody mentioned that if it's carrying through to the speakers it's something else, but my experience says that all it takes is to have bad power going in and USB audio can pick up all sorts of nastyness, especially USB-powered stuff, such as my interface. I'd believe that nothing is wrong with anything else in this rig. Especially since I can clearly hear the whine both coming straight from the PSU and being directly mimicked through the speakers, ONLY when they're plugged into a bus-powered device.

I also have a USB/optical DAC that is self powered feeding these same speakers. Doesn't pick up the whine with either input... ...and it's only got unbalanced outs. So that right there narrows it down. As soon as I plug in that powered interface (or if past experience still stands, ANY usb powered interface - I've tried several - all with the same susceptibility to power noise,) I'm going to hear the noise passing right through balanced outs to the speakers. Last time, dealing with the bad outlet, I tried swapping every component in this thing with parts from my B-rig, after verifying that the B-rig was in fact noise-free. Different case, no case, different GPU, different PSU, no unneeded stuff, different mobo, etc. I mean, I tried everything. Ferrites, isolators, ground lifts, all manner of cables, hubs that use their own wall power... didn't matter because that outlet was just bad and bad power going into the mobo was enough. Ultimately I did have a bad mobo too, but I swapped that and that problem fully went away. The current components in this rig did not have this issue. It was when I put in the Seasonic that I started having problems. Doesn't mean there aren't other susceptibilities in say, the mobo - perhaps a better mobo wouldn't pick this up, but at this point the source is clear.

I can see the headroom argument. A higher price, higher wattage unit may very well be what it comes down to, or at least it takes another potential factor out of the equation. But my concern there is that even people with units like that sometimes experience whine. Some are even sort of known for it. Seems like more a matter of how the coil is placed and wrapped. A whiny coil isn't necessarily bad, and for most people a little whine isn't as much of an issue as consistency and reliability, which aren't necessarily affected. I'm willing to believe that almost all PSU's exhibit whine, and it's just a matter of whether you can hear it or not. Obviously construction matters there, though.

But still, I think I'd be more willing to try a higher wattage, higher-quality unit over a cheaper one at this point. As mentioned, sound is a major concern and I am willing to pay more than I otherwise would to take care of it, even if I'm technically "over-spec." I know all too well as someone who's worked on amplifiers that good sound starts with good power. I'm just not sure that simply picking a good PSU with known good design/components will be enough. It's one of those weird, specific things where it's hard to know what to look for to know you're getting what you want. Hell, half of the time it's just luck, though looking at some of the comments here I might be ruling out Seasonic. Maybe Corsair, too. Depends on what I can turn up about the ones I'm looking at. I dunno. Doesn't cost me anything but time to give a replacement Seasonic a shot, I suppose.

When i am picking out a PSU which is normally a Seasonic, i check JonnyGuru \ TPU reviews and know my gaming power usage, Like you can say a 750w PSU is why to much for my now 390 (used to be a 290 ), one thing that i considered important was were the PSU was the most efficient.

So at the time having a power usage from about 73w idle and a max of 430w ( benchmarks ) and typical gaming was around 260w-360w is one of the reasons i got mine.

Idle efficiency is none matter for this system as when it's on it's gaming.

As for coil whine i have never had it with several Seasonic PSUs.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Software Windows 10 Pro
What do you mean by, "like with my problem before"? Is that with more than one PSU?
That's not coil whine then! That's interference.

Coil whine is caused by actual physical vibrations in the windings of the inductor (coil) - like plucking a guitar string or the movement of your own vocal cords. Only instead of fingers plucking or air moving past causing the vibrations, it is expanding and contracting magnetic fields.

If you can hear this whine coming through your speakers, that is interference from something else, either generated from within the electronics of the PSU, or being introduced by some other nearby component or device that is faulty. It can also be due to electrical "noise" that is not being properly suppressed - perhaps through a faulty ground. It can even come from something totally unrelated to your computer, like a nearby microwave oven or your refrigerator.
It's not always coming through the speakers. I can only hear it when I plug them into a usb powered interface. It's not like it's there when they're simply turned on. Not to mention I have USB dac that doesn't care about the noise - I can't hear it through the speakers then, though it doesn't take power via USB, only pushes data through.

It sounds pretty much exactly like this GPU whine, only the pitch is higher.

And yes, I have another PSU with whine, from another machine. Sounds even closer in pitch to the example above, but it's load dependent - sometimes I can't hear it all, but under load the sound comes in uneven pulses. Sounds pretty much exactly like if you took the sound in the video and chopped it up.

In both cases I can hear it best when listening through the back of the PSU. Whether its actually the coil or not doesn't really matter to me. Bottom line is that the PSU is making noise that seems to be causing interference elsewhere.

The problem before, incidentally, WAS mains related. It was a bad outlet, as far as I can tell. After changing the outlet, that noise went away. And it didn't sound like either of these PSU's do now, nor could I audibly hear it coming out of my machine. I have since gone and checked ground potential at every point I could. Bout as close to 0v as it can realistically be. Today, I took the rig with the PSU and ran it at work. Same exact noise. On the way home I took it to a friends house and heard the same thing. I have two machines here, so I quickly plugged the offending PSU in via the front panel and heard the same noise, much more obviously from the PSU when outside of a case. Also carries up through the USB interface to my speakers, just like it does through this build. And just like it was with this build, when I had a different PSU, the same USB interface sent no noise through the same speakers.

Test the PSU outside your computer on a bread board. Can you hear the whine then? And note if you have experienced this problem with 2 different PSUs, it is not likely a PSU problem.
This I haven't tried, but I will. Im thinking I will still hear it, though. And yes, I do have two PSU's that make coil whine noises. But then, I also have one that doesn't and didn't give me any noise issues with what I'm trying to do. Can't help but think it has to be the PSU for that reason. It's entirely possible to get unlucky like that with two PSU's. The Seasonic is a little surprising, but the other one that whines is a bottom-end EVGA 450-BT, which everyone knows is crap anyway. I bet I could buy 3 more and they'd all whine eventually, if not immediately.

Check your wall outlet wiring using an AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded.
I'll do ya one better. I replaced the outlet with a better one myself and tested both the wiring and the outlet directly. I am sure it is wired properly :p

And when it comes to audio "noise", this is important - make sure your computer and your speaker amplifiers (built in to the subwoofer of most computer speakers) are at the "same ground potential". You do this simply by ensuring both the computer and the speakers are plugged into the same wall outlet.
They always have been. I have also taken the liberty of trying the opposite and spreading things across outlets as well as trying many different outlets. Always the same result. Plug in the recording interface with the speakers plugged into it and the noise carries through.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
Are you by any chance using a (potentially) faulty power strip to plug the computer and related items in? Say the same one you were using during months of compounding issues.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
Are you by any chance using a (potentially) faulty power strip to plug the computer and related items in? Say the same one you were using during months of compounding issues.
Nope, never mentioned it, but in addition to trying different cords, I also tried different strips, from cheap ones to more expensive heavy duty ones.

But then, strip, tap or neither, it never goes away.

Processor Intel i5 8400
Motherboard Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken & Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap
Memory 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING
Storage 1TB 980 Pro
Display(s) Samsung UN55KU6300F
Case Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Software W11 Pro
I'm just going to keep working my way out from your circuit breaker until your guitar stylings are captured in stunningly the clearest high resolution quality your DAC supports.

Breaking with that trend, have you been picking up local radio on your fillings or anything else you'd normally be lax to share with us?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Take your parts to a friend's house test them individually then put the machine back together try them even in your friends rig. If that power supply still wines with your friends parts go ahead and contact seasonic for another

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm just going to keep working my way out from your circuit breaker until your guitar stylings are captured in stunningly the clearest high resolution quality your DAC supports.
One day I'll find a way to just beam it into the hard drive. Nah, but I thought about maybe swapping the breaker. I haven't because the noise exists outside of this place.

The funny thing is, the recorded tracks don't have the noise. Technically I could get stuff done. But man is it distracting to hear that constant whining. EQing is almost impossible. Trying to sweep for problem areas in the traditional way is taxing. I have to constantly try to tune out that noise to focus on what I'm actually listening to, which is specific resonances in specific ranges. I have a pretty good ear for different frequencies at this point - I can sort of just tell with certain things without even sweeping, but I'm not that good lol. Very hard to analyze and diagnose issues in the highs, which is where a lot of problems are with distorted guitars. Until I can just look at a spectrum analyzer and just know exactly how what I'm seeing sounds like, it's not happening lol. Maybe in another 50 years I can do that :p

Breaking with that trend, have you been picking up local radio on your fillings or anything else you'd normally be lax to share with us?
Haha, no. Nothing like that. I don't even have any metal fillings.

I mean... there's always those voices I hear but I don't think that's related to the current issue. But it could be that thing the aliens put in my head last year, I guess. I asked them if it was gonna affect this and they said no. But maybe they lied. They seemed pretty nice, though. Didn't think to mention it. Good thing you asked.

EDIT: got my RMA going. I'll drop it off tomorrow. I think I want to give Seasonic another chance. I really don't believe what I'm hearing could possibly be typical. Just my usual bad luck maybe. Debating for a little longer on whether to grab that 750w Focus Gold on newegg, or maybe wait till tomorrow for my amazon credit to pass and go up to the Prime Gold or Focus Platinum at 650w. Based on responses here it's a little bit of a gamble, but I stand to lose nothing but a little time, even if the replacement is bad. I'll just say that amazon prime has been super worth it for me these past couple of months :D I've learned their RMA system is amazingly good if you stay with them, too. Go for the amazon credit and you get it basically the moment your package scans out. But then that deal pops up on newegg and I find myself torn.

The one thing I won't do is grab another of this model, heh. Hopefully rule out some other possibilities that way. Burn me twice on two separate models and I'll be moving on. All I can really say there. I'm arriving at the belief that basically any PSU can exhibit whine, just based on the mixed responses here. Some are probably more likely to than others, but that's about it. It's one of those things that's just got too many variables to know.

Last edited:
Display(s) HP w2207h
Audio Device(s) onboard
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
@robot zombie : Are you running anything like this, came across this today by accident:

https://www.amazon.com/2-Channel-Co...2GO6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1533058904&sr=8-5
No, nothing like that. What I have doesn't simply feed to the onboard like that. It's a fully-dedicated digital audio i/o device on its own. I mean, it has phantom power but I don't own any mics so I don't use it.

I'm actually running this. The on-board audio actually sounds okay, but the problem there is latency. I need low latency monitoring... ...the ability to take the guitar going in, run it through VST's, and then hear it played back through the full, processed mix at as close to real time as possible. Can't do that without one of these interfaces. Has to have the data i/o to work with fast digital processing and monitoring. It does heavy lifting the product you linked can't do. With integrated audio, I play a chord and hear it a full second later, which is at least 900ms too late lol, even if I can get it to cooperate with ASIO. They cap out and start skipping in and out before they become viably responsive. Otherwise I would just plug my guitar into a DI box and feed it to the onboard audio's line-in.

I've tried others like it, too. They all have the same susceptibility to power noise of any kind. Been down that rabbit hole, hah. Short of eliminating the source, there is no winning and no viable alternative. Stuck with em unfortunately. Nothing I can do on that end can fix this.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I've tried others like it, too. They all have the same susceptibility to power noise of any kind. Been down that rabbit hole, hah. Short of eliminating the source, there is no winning and no viable alternative. Stuck with em unfortunately. Nothing I can do on that end can fix this.
I have an idea that is cheaper to test than a new power supply. First, you can try a USB Y-splitter and instead of powering it up from USB port try something like a powerbank or a decent 5V 1+A power adapter (preferably an old-school transformer-based, and not the new switch-mode charger).
It won't help with your PSU issues, but it may help with the output noise on your audio interface.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have an idea that is cheaper to test than a new power supply. First, you can try a USB Y-splitter and instead of powering it up from USB port try something like a powerbank or a decent 5V 1+A power adapter (preferably an old-school transformer-based, and not the new switch-mode charger).
It won't help with your PSU issues, but it may help with the output noise on your audio interface.
It seems logical, doesn't it? Isolate the power to solve problems with power on the bus itself, right? Until recently, I thought so, too. It makes a certain degree of sense. But ime it just doesn't work like that. For certain types of noise maybe, but not for interference coming from the power going into the bus. Noise from the PSU or the wall travels into everything it's connected to.

I recently had a problem with a bad outlet for which no hubs or isolators could solve. I actually even tried one that not only "reclocks," but provided power through a quality 5v linear power supply, made by Schiit. The Wyrd. No SMPS there. Quality design and components. Of all of the hubs/isolators I tried, it was the only one that kind of worked. Slight reduction, though not nearly enough... it did something. It's entirely possible it actually did completely negate the interference on the USB cable's power side. But therein lies the rub. It only worked on the power side. The actual I/O signal was bad, too.

It seems there's more to it than just the juice running from the bus to power the device. It goes all the way back to where the power first enters the USB bus. If the power going into the mobo is bad, the interference is impossible to remove or isolate. When the USB bus receives dirty power, its entire operation is influenced by that and the interference makes its way into the data signal itself. No way to bypass that or even filter it out. Cleaning up the power to the device has little effect, as the data line itself has been compromised. And trying the hub I kept from my last endeavor seems to confirm that. It didn't make a difference :/

All the same, the whine itself is unbearably loud. Very quickly drove me crazy. I'm gonna have to change it out. Fortunately, I will get my money back through amazon. The plan is to swap it for insta credit and throw at most $20-$30 more towards a better one. To me that's not a huge loss to have something that I can be more sure just works like it's supposed to in short order. It's a compromise I can live with!

At this point I'm still just deliberating on what to go with. Maybe another EVGA G3, beefier Seasonic, or maybe even a Bitfenix Whisper M...

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
It seems logical, doesn't it? Isolate the power to solve problems with power on the bus itself, right? Until recently, I thought so, too. It makes a certain degree of sense. But ime it just doesn't work like that. For certain types of noise maybe, but not for interference coming from the power going into the bus. Noise from the PSU or the wall travels into everything it's connected to.
That's the point of getting a splitter and a powerbank - you only only have D+ and D- going into PC, while the power is delivered on the second "tail" of the Y-splitter from a more stable source like a battery pack or a linear power supply.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
That's the point of getting a splitter and a powerbank - you only only have D+ and D- going into PC, while the power is delivered on the second "tail" of the Y-splitter from a more stable source like a battery pack or a linear power supply.
I understand what you're getting at. The idea is to pass the data signal through but splice-in power from another source instead of taking it from the USB bus, basically just bypassing the power from the motherboard. Which seems like it should work. You naturally think that the solution to "bad power in the computer" is to not power things from the computer when possible. I used to think that, too. But the problem I seem to be having, and probably the reason that tactic doesn't work, is that the interference is actually compromising the data rails, too. Data just brings the noise right along with it. It spreads to literally anything connected to the source that carries an electrical signal, including the data lines. USB is a PITA for audio. No isolation whatsoever on the bus. I know that better than I ever wanted to at this point o_O

The worst part is I know it can be done, and is done on this mobo... ...my on-board audio doesn't pick up the whine. <_<

One thing these constant battles with different sources of USB noise has made me realize... ...the data lines on a USB cable are really just additional power lines. The common cliche is that data is data, but that's only partially true. In many cases it's also power. Without proper isolation any interference in the power driving the bus will always carry over to the data rail - that's how its generated.

Listening closer, my Modi 2 Uber DAC even seems to pick it up a little when it's fed via USB, even though it uses its own dedicated power source - and I mean bus power is not even connected inside the DAC. When I switch to optical, the noise goes away... because there's no opportunity for the interference to cross over, no path. It's completely electrically isolated from the computer. Electrical interference can't travel through beams of light :p

And it's not like the chip compiling that optical signal has a way to just incorporate the noise its receiving into the information going out as something that could then be converted back as an audible noise.

And I mean, it really is so insipid that total, true isolation is the only way. If there's a way, this kind of noise finds it easily. Say I hook up the modi via both USB and optical. Even with the modi set to optical input, the noise still travels up the USB cable and into the outputs to the speakers, even though the input is "inactive." I also have a passive preamp with a two-input toggle, which sits between the modi and my speakers. Say I have one input accepting signal from the modi, with it hooked up via USB, and nothing hooked up to the other input. The noise is still heard through the speakers, even when I toggle over to the unused input!

Craazy stuff. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it for itself. But it literally permeates everything it touches. I feel like people must think I'm crazy when I try to explain it, but I really have explored every possibility I can here.

Basically the problem with trying to simply isolate it is that USB uses electrical pathways to transmit data. At the end of the day, a data line is just another power signal coming out of the same noisy source. So it can also carry any electrical interference on the bus down it, too. At that point it has free reign to travel through whatever it's connected to. It doesn't need to actually get into the data to travel through the analog output section of an audio device. It just sort of piggybacks down that line. Because of how USB packs and reconstructs data, it'll still come through just fine, the chip that puts it all together just has to work a lot harder to deal with all of the packet loss. That's what makes USB so reliable for 1:1 transfer. It can still work, even if there is inconsistent power.

Or at least that's what my experience leads me to assume. I have been all the way down that rabbit hole. Only option is to eliminate the source. :/

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Mouse Logitech G603
I seem to be having, and probably the reason that tactic doesn't work, is that the interference is actually compromising the data rails, too. Data just brings the noise right along with it. It spreads to literally anything connected to the source that carries an electrical signal, including the data lines. USB is a PITA for audio. No isolation whatsoever on the bus. I know that better than I ever wanted to at this point o_O
USB is a digital bus, and most importantly it's differential. If you have actual noise on the data channel high enough that it can affect data and cause errors, you'd be getting all kinds of weird shit like non-working KB/mouse, non-working flash drives and a bunch of "Unknown USB devices" in your device manager along with "failed to get device descriptor" messages. The problem is not the data channel, the problem is power noise. If you've already tried external power to your DAC, and eliminated all the "ground loop" sources, then it might be a good time to actually check those speakers of yours, cause otherwise we are just running circles around your issue, and not solving it.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Case NZXT H710
Software Windows 10 Pro
USB is a digital bus, and most importantly it's differential. If you have actual noise on the data channel high enough that it can affect data and cause errors, you'd be getting all kinds of weird shit like non-working KB/mouse, non-working flash drives and a bunch of "Unknown USB devices" in your device manager along with "failed to get device descriptor" messages. The problem is not the data channel, the problem is power noise. If you've already tried external power to your DAC, and eliminated all the "ground loop" sources, then it might be a good time to actually check those speakers of yours, cause otherwise we are just running circles around your issue, and not solving it.
I don't think the noise is all that high, just enough that sensitive audio stuff picks it up and amplifies it. Otherwise I think it'd be affecting the rest of the machine. I'm familiar with USB dropouts from things like power dips and spikes, or interference around the mobo.

I've been through the whole ground loop procedure. I have tried running them on different circuits, every time alternating between running the computer on a seperate circuit or the same circuit as the speakers. I have even taken everything over to someone else's house and did just like I did here. It took it to work and tried it there, too. I have tried ground lifts/galvanic isolation, on both analog side and digital. Completely isolating from USB power bus. I'm running the speakers through balanced outputs. I've tried different speakers and cables, too. I've tried 3 different motherboards. Different cases, as well as no case. All again with the same circuit swapping and different speakers.

I don't know why it happens, I just know that it happens only when USB is carrying the audio, to any sort of USB audio device, even when it is isolated from power in the machine. And that it only happens with PSU's that have coil whine. What other explanation is there? I know that it seems unlikely but at this point it makes more sense than anything else. The data is the only thing I can't isolate, you know?

Last edited:
System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit
Today I tested out my new Seasonic Focus Gold 550w only to find that it whines... ...like really bad. High-pitched and constant. I'm curious if any Seasonic owners can chime in and tell me if they've experienced this before I go through the trouble of exchanging it for a new one. I would think it's just a bad unit, but I want to be sure.
I have the G series 550w and the SSP-450RT and both of these have coil noise when under load. The coil noise can be clearly heard when the PSU is on the table next to you but it's actually fine if the PSU is in a case under my table. I also had an X series 650w which was the same I believe. All the PSUs I just mentioned are 80+ gold Seasonic units btw.

On a side note, are there ANY PSU's that are particularly less likely to whine.
Yes, the corsair RM-550x. I picked this one specifically for low noise since I have my other computer set up on my shelf without a case and I couldn't stand the noise made by most PSUs. The RM-550x unit I have has no coil noise and the fan is super quiet too.

System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
i am thinking of ordering a ss focus 850 gold. anyone has experience with that psu? johnnyguru's review on this particular psu is stellar and that helped finalize my deision.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name White DJ in Detroit
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I have the G series 550w and the SSP-450RT and both of these have coil noise when under load. The coil noise can be clearly heard when the PSU is on the table next to you but it's actually fine if the PSU is in a case under my table. I also had an X series 650w which was the same I believe. All the PSUs I just mentioned are 80+ gold Seasonic units btw.

I see complaints about Seasonic coil whine from time to time, almost often enough to make me worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.