• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remedy Shows The Preliminary Cost of NVIDIA RTX Ray Tracing Effects in Performance

The benefits of RTX won't be in AAA games. AAA games already look wonderful.
The benefits of RTX will be in low end and indie games. Low end and indie games don't use the graphics card a lot, and RTX allows them to implement global ilumination and great shadows at low production cost. So they don't need a team of 1000 artist slaves to create a game, and instead can do a game that looks close to a current AAA with a team of 10 people.

The benefits of RTX will be in low end and indie games. Low end and indie games don't use the graphics card a lot, and RTX allows them to implement global ilumination and great shadows at low production cost. So they don't need a team of 1000 artist slaves to create a game, and instead can do a game that looks close to a current AAA with a team of 10 people.

The issue with that is Nvidia RT is part of GameWorks. How many Indie houses have used GameWorks in the past ?

It will require Nvidia collaberation/bank-roll

Its going to be a "feature added" because making the game solely for RT is going to limit the targeted audience and potential income.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

Agreed this is my thinking too, Turing seems to shine in Vulkan too, and with RTX coming to that I'm looking forward to see how Enlisted turns out, looks like my sort of game.

Disagree. Everyone will benefit from RTRT equally should they choose to use it. Sure current titles look good. But why stop at good when excellent is within reach? Especially when it's being made readily available for use? Everyone is going to use it.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i9-9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax ETS-T50 Black CPU cooler
Memory 32GB (2x16) Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Black; 2x 4TB WD Black; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
indie games don't use the graphics card a lot,
I just love this generalization born of ignorance. Spoken like someone who has not played a good variety of indie titles. There are quite a few games with very intensive and wonderful looking graphics, getting it done with....the GPU.

Disagree. Everyone will benefit from RTRT equally should they choose to use it. Sure current titles look good. But why stop at good when excellent is within reach? Especially when it being made readily available for use? Everyone is going to use it.
Just came back here and saw this. I agree, with the caveat that it will still mostly be AAA studios, especially in early years. I surmise Nvidia will be handholding, and not have the personnel to embed with every studio for help throughout the process.

Indeed, that will make it doubly hard for Indie studios to have this feature in the early years, because they do only have a small team.

One just needs to watch all the dev diaries of Ninja Theory who put out Hellblade and see how much they had to be inventive and figure out how to pull things off with only 20 people and very little budget. I doubt they would have been able to implement RTX in all the scenes without adding another year.

Indeed, that will make it doubly hard for Indie studios to have this feature in the early years, because they do only have a small team.
That seems to be a point open for debate. From what I've read elsewhere, the tools needed to implement RTRT have a learning curve, but not a big one. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

That seems to be a point open for debate. From what I've read elsewhere, the tools needed to implement RTRT have a learning curve, but not a big one. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
I think the deciding factor on how fast RT saturates the market will be when it makes it to lower end cards. Any competent developer shouldn't have trouble figuring out implementation.

System Name Ryzen 5800X-PC / RyzenITX (2nd system 5800X stock)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (atx) / 5800X itx (soon one pc getting 5800X3D upgrade! ;)
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER (ATX) / X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi (ITX)
Cooling AMD Wrath Prism Cooler / Alphenhone Blackridge (ITX)
Memory OLOY 4000Mhz 16GB x 2 (32GB) DDR4 4000 Mhz CL18, (22,22,22,42) 1.40v AT & ITX PC's (2000 Fclk)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (ATX) /// AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 (ITX)
Storage (Sys)Sammy 970EVO 500GB & SabrentRocket 4.0+ 2TB (ATX) | SabrentRocket4.0+ 1TB NVMe (ITX)
Display(s) 30" Ultra-Wide 21:9 200Hz/AMD FREESYNC 200hz/144hz LED LCD Montior Connected Via Display Port (x2)
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh (ATX) / Velkase Velka 7 (ITX)
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD ALC1220 codec / Onboard HD Audio* (BOTH) w/ EQ settings
Power Supply 850w (Antec High-Current Gamer) HC-850 PSU (80+ gold certified) ATX) /650Watt Thermaltake SFX (ITX)
Mouse Logitech USB Wireless KB & MOUSE (Both Systems)
Keyboard Logitech USB Wireless KB & MOUSE (Both Systems)
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 - 128GB - Standalone + Oculus link PC
Software Windows 10 Home x64bit 2400 /BOTH SYSTEMS
Benchmark Scores CPUZ - ATX-5800X (ST:670) - (MT: 6836.3 ) CPUZ - ITX -5800X (ST:680.2) - (MT: 7015.2) ??? same CPU?
You don't need to repeat the idiocy. NVIDIA had to start with RTX and hadn't they done that now, that would have postponed for several years longer. AMD don't even have plans for RT at all - how much would we have to wait for them to realize that RT could be implemeneted right here, right now?

It surely looks like >95% of people commenting on RTX are either young and/or stupid but programmable shaders used to be a new "unneeded" "slow" "superficial" "do really gamers need it?" feature as well when it was introduced over ten years ago. Strangely there are next to zero games nowadays which don't use programmable shaders.

I for one commend NVIDIA for their massive effort of bringing photorealistic lighting, shading and reflections to the masses.

Meanwhile I'm not going to buy any RTXs just yet because they are way over my budget - the cheapest one costs more than my monthly salary but I will most likely buy the RTX 3060 in 2019/2020.

One other thing most illiterate idiots fail to realize is that RTX makes games' development a lot easier, quite cheaper and significantly faster and the end result is just jaw-dropping.

P.S. Sorry for being a little bit harsh.

---

sure nvidia did it, its not perfect yet and still could take 2+ or more years to get the 1080p 60FPS on 2070,2080, if the 2080ti can even handle 1080p60, if not then they have problems..\\\ and sure MASSIVE EFFORT, how about more like Nvidia has enough money for R&D and prob. still had enough to buy the Whitehouse or several states or something, when u have money to burn, literally!!!! u can do almost anything, AMD Doesn't have that and how DO U know or anyone that AMD isnt doing something for Ray Tracing there is also Path Tracing, just heard about it, but we dont know whats gonna happen NO ONE DOES OR EVER WILL THIS SHIT WILL BE UNDER EMBARGO UNTIL ITS NDA IS LIFTED, SO unless u work for Nvidia, AMD or intel ect. how will u know if these companies have plans for something or not... u DONT!!!!!!!!!!!

an oh.... "bringing photorealistic lighting, shading and reflections to the masses. " I think not, not when the RTX 20 series cards manly the 2080ti, is over 1000 bucks USD, thats not for the masses, maybe 20% of the worlds population that games can actualy buy that card>>>> i cant, i dont have a grand just to buy aGPU,,, i never will..

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
As I posted elsewhere, RTX is a technology no gamer asked for, yet Nvidia spent millions (billions?) in making it a thing. It might very well be great in 2-3 generations, but right now it's something that offers little to no benefit, for a lot of extra cost. Thanks Nvidia.

Gamers don't ask for anything. If gamers wished we would still be playing on 1280x1024 CRT monitors. Look how "gamers" are now stuck on 1080p 60fps gaming. Gamers have taken technology backwards. I used to have 1920x1200 monitors but now everyone has 1920x1080 monitors. I got a 3440x1440 monitor 5 years ago! If the companies don't release cool new tech, we'll all be stuck in the stone age.

System Name Dell Dimension P120
Processor Intel Pentium 120 MHz 60Mhz FSB
Motherboard Dell Pentium
Memory 24 MB EDO
Video Card(s) Matrox Millennium 2MB
Storage 1 GB EIDE HDD
Display(s) Dell 15 inch crt
Case Dell Dimension
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster
Mouse Microsoft mouse, no scroll wheel
Keyboard Dell 1995
Software Windows 95 + Office 95
They just want you to buy 2 or 4 RTX 2080Ti to get 1080p 60fps. seriously, most of us have been playing at 1080p for more than a decade now, isnt it time to move on to 4k and 8K???

at 1200+ dollars each they want you to spend 2500 USD on just the gpus PLUS an expensive motherboard that support dual gpu PLUS an expensive CPU that have enough pci-e lanes
so yeah PC gaming has gone from 600-1000 to 5000 dollars in less than a year. Congratulations!