• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X79 and/or rampage IV OC'ing thread for those of us still left....

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thanks, what more can I say... I like 'em tight :D
Voltage is 1,64-1,65V (can be seen in my previous posts in TurboV Evo window).
Going higher isn't an option since air flow between DIMMs is abysmal.
However my sticks don't scale that well with higher voltage to begin with.
Interesting thing is I had my LinX perf. dropped to 130-ish GFLOP when I used too high VCCSA.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
Thanks, what more can I say... I like 'em tight :D
Voltage is 1,64-1,65V (can be seen in my previous posts in TurboV Evo window).
Going higher isn't an option since air flow between DIMMs is abysmal.
However my sticks don't scale that well with higher voltage to begin with.
Interesting thing is I had my LinX perf. dropped to 130-ish GFLOP when I used too high VCCSA.

Interesting, yeah I've seen my board throttle itself badly if voltages are too high or timings and or mhz too high even if it gives stable results it's like it just kneecaps itself to stay stable but you don't realize how bad the performance is till you test it...it's an odd platform with that I noticed. Also, I think my mobo/cpu/Dimms would feel sadly neglected if I didn't give them as much voltage as possible. Joking aside for most part I try to do with least possible but at least with the Rampage IV and my setup voltage to VCCSA and couple other things is key to getting relatively high mhz with memory and good timings.
It literally sips voltage if I let the memory do very little...however that was with old memory which was MICRON which does have very tight internal timings but doesn't like high mhz nearly as much. I'm assuming what I have now is Elpida etc which is why it's scaling way higher but haven't found sweet spot to get bandwidth etc higher than my old sticks...however what is better is the latency, not by much but it's already slightly less than best I could do with Crucial memory at any setting.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
I do have a Rampage 4 Forumla, I was toying with eventually grabbing a 3930k/4930k or something like... Any suggestions?? :)

Did you ever find a CPU for this setup Phil? Just curious. Also to anyone/everyone on here has anyone overclocked the BCLK from 125 strap stably to 132 and beyond? I literally hit a wall right at 132'ish and that is IT and I wondered if that's just the limit more of the IO/Sata/Pci-E being overclocked or there are more voltages/skews I should be aware of to attempt higher BCLK overclocking? Just curious, would give me more flexibility and get more out of memory because I know it can do more but BCLK on this platform definitely is stubborn.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Did you ever find a CPU for this setup Phil? Just curious. Also to anyone/everyone on here has anyone overclocked the BCLK from 125 strap stably to 132 and beyond? I literally hit a wall right at 132'ish and that is IT and I wondered if that's just the limit more of the IO/Sata/Pci-E being overclocked or there are more voltages/skews I should be aware of to attempt higher BCLK overclocking? Just curious, would give me more flexibility and get more out of memory because I know it can do more but BCLK on this platform definitely is stubborn.

To be honest I never really looked for one. Few things going on at the moment and money is as tight as it ever was, so hardware sadly been the last thing I should have been buying.. (Please note, should have!! lol)
Looking at mostly things now that are well free if I'm honest !! :) :( But thanks for remembering :)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Also to anyone/everyone on here has anyone overclocked the BCLK from 125 strap stably to 132 and beyond? I literally hit a wall right at 132'ish and that is IT and I wondered if that's just the limit more of the IO/Sata/Pci-E being overclocked or there are more voltages/skews I should be aware of to attempt higher BCLK overclocking?
I usually couldn't push my 3820 beyond 129Mhz when using the 125Mhz strap. I also couldn't do much more than 105Mhz on the 100Mhz strap so, it's entirely possible what you're encountering is attached PCIe devices becoming unstable since the PCIe clock is tied to the base clock outside of the strap as the strap almost behaves like a multiplier/divider for the non-memory I/O that the CPU is responsible for. For example, at 100Mhz or 125Mhz straps, the PCIe clock is still 100Mhz.

The real reason for this barrier is because of PCIe and possibly DMI as well as it's practically just Intel branded PCIe for the PCH. It's hard to say which it is but, if you have a PCIe 4x or 8x slot off the X79 chipset, you could try using that for your GPU to see if it makes a difference as I'm sure the PCIe complex on the PCH has its own clock domain compared to the PCIe root complex on the CPU but, I have no idea if it has its own clock gen or if it's just based off the DMI clock.

Either way, you're going to hit a barrier, the question is how soon. I wouldn't push it too hard as it's not really worth it.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
I usually couldn't push my 3820 beyond 129Mhz when using the 125Mhz strap. I also couldn't do much more than 105Mhz on the 100Mhz strap so, it's entirely possible what you're encountering is attached PCIe devices becoming unstable since the PCIe clock is tied to the base clock outside of the strap as the strap almost behaves like a multiplier/divider for the non-memory I/O that the CPU is responsible for. For example, at 100Mhz or 125Mhz straps, the PCIe clock is still 100Mhz.

The real reason for this barrier is because of PCIe and possibly DMI as well as it's practically just Intel branded PCIe for the PCH. It's hard to say which it is but, if you have a PCIe 4x or 8x slot off the X79 chipset, you could try using that for your GPU to see if it makes a difference as I'm sure the PCIe complex on the PCH has its own clock domain compared to the PCIe root complex on the CPU but, I have no idea if it has its own clock gen or if it's just based off the DMI clock.

Either way, you're going to hit a barrier, the question is how soon. I wouldn't push it too hard as it's not really worth it.

Yes the "barrier" is a given it's how far I can go just like every overclocking exercise. Yeah I was just looking for practical info on what to tweak to get as far as possible and what also the reasonable expectation was, so many settings etc on this high end Rampage IV you'd think if any board and CPU could push the limits it'd be this with the once high end xeon which was 1700 bucks or so new back in 2013 lol. Most of what you said sounds about like I expected, however placement of the GPU in a slot and what powers it making a difference is a good idea! I don't know like you said if it will help or hurt for I'll have to try and moving it to different slots and see if or how it makes a difference. But yeah 132 is not a bad result I realize for these things the whole integrated pci-e and such was a sucky design for obvious reasons as it limits combinations of overclocks particular for your memory dividers.

System Name Daily/SFF
Processor Ryzen 5900X in ECO-mode.
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
Cooling Noctua NH-U9B SE2
Memory GSKILL Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Video Card(s) ZOTAC 1660Ti AMP
Storage WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) SAMSUNG 24" SD590 Series
Case NCASE M1
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply CORSAIR SF750
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Keyboard KB Paradise V80 Olivette TKL
Software W10
I'm still running X79...

X79 4930K overclock.PNG

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
I'm still running X79...

View attachment 109231

Excellent! One more X79'er in group and posting my favorite all his stats! Welcome! Just last night I purchased the latest version of Aida my old one ran out so I'll post my numbers shortly I only had trial version of newest one and it blanked out half the numbers in the cache and memory benchmark.

This is my current setup however couple values are not stable but only a couple memory timings I just tightened so literally these charts would like identical even the benchmarks I just am fine tuning to get most out of the memory.

Capture307.jpg

Last edited:

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
A lot of time for the Asus Black Edition, I know someone with one @blindfitter and I'm sure I'll be tempting him at some point to part with it lol :D

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Haha, I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a x99 rampage board myself, they've dropped a ton since x299 came about

Had one, never again...

I'm not in to causing problems, but the Asus X99 boards I heard a few reports from other people including myself, having issues of CPUs being very over volted... I did not appreciate my cherry picked 5960X getting nearly 1.8vcore thrown through it under water even when it was set in the bios to 1.3vcore.. That's one reason why I got rid of mine...

I have an MSI X99 at the moment which is fine, but put an M.2 in it, it'll work as long as it's on stock BCLK, if you raise it even .01 Mhz above stock, it stops showing it for some reason and therefore won't boot, so I'm stuck with SATA 3 SSDs... I'm rather interested in finding a Asrock X99 Forumla OCF board... Should have bought the one from Ebay for £125 as that was a bargain.. Most of the ads for the same board now are £400+!! Er no.. If I wanted to spend that much, I'd be considering a Threadripper!!

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Had one, never again...

I'm not in to causing problems, but the Asus X99 boards I heard a few reports from other people including myself, having issues of CPUs being very over volted... I did not appreciate my cherry picked 5960X getting nearly 1.8vcore thrown through it under water even when it was set in the bios to 1.3vcore.. That's one reason why I got rid of mine...

I have an MSI X99 at the moment which is fine, but put an M.2 in it, it'll work as long as it's on stock BCLK, if you raise it even .01 Mhz above stock, it stops showing it for some reason and therefore won't boot, so I'm stuck with SATA 3 SSDs... I'm rather interested in finding a Asrock X99 Forumla OCF board... Should have bought the one from Ebay for £125 as that was a bargain.. Most of the ads for the same board now are £400+!! Er no.. If I wanted to spend that much, I'd be considering a Threadripper!!

I almost "upgraded" to X99 from X79 but I researched it and was less than impressed at the performance difference (very little) for a lot more money (at the time) no idea the difference now but especially with 8 core xeon there's very little difference from X79 to X99.

D

Deleted member 178884

I almost "upgraded" to X99 from X79 but I researched it and was less than impressed at the performance difference (very little) for a lot more money (at the time) no idea the difference now but especially with 8 core xeon there's very little difference from X79 to X99.
X79 is definitely excellent value - It's a shame my x58 board's single thread was a little too weak for what I needed it for and my 6600k didn't have the 8 threads I needed so I moved to x299.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
X79 is definitely excellent value - It's a shame my x58 board's single thread was a little too weak for what I needed it for and my 6600k didn't have the 8 threads I needed so I moved to x299.

I had an x58 right till I got this setup in late 2012....worked great sold it to someone and he used it for a while and to say I got my money out of X79 is an understatement. I never imagined I'd still have it in 2018 and have it be relevant and more than sufficient, it is cheaper and outperforms the newest "coffee lake" enthusiast main stream processor Intel just put out the i9-9900x which also only has dual channel memory....pathetic.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet

I had an x58 right till I got this setup in late 2012....worked great sold it to someone and he used it for a while and to say I got my money out of X79 is an understatement. I never imagined I'd still have it in 2018 and have it be relevant and more than sufficient, it is cheaper and outperforms the newest "coffee lake" enthusiast main stream processor Intel just put out the i9-9900x which also only has dual channel memory....pathetic.

I had X99 when I was heavily into benchmarking for Midlife Gamers.. I got high up in the rankings in the UK and worldwide but never really got noticed and with everything happening at that time, it was a way to forget what was happening.. But when I paid out for my 5960X and then thought, if I break this I'll loose so much, so quit benchmarking and never really looked back... Even though now, I think I've as much hardware as I did back then, maybe more.. Kinda odd lol

But yes, when I saw the Rampage doing that I was so worried about it killing my CPU, I just got rid of it and used another board. But over the next two years it sat there doing nothing with other things happening, so when I had a chance to do something about it this year, I jumped at it..
I still have my X58, I've X79, I've Z77, Z97, Z170, AM3, 939, socket A, erm, one or two platforms that I can play about on.. Oh not to mention two Ryzen CPUs as well, but I think for me now, it's mostly about price/performance and to be honest this 5960X being that its such a good overclocker, I can't see me really changing for anything much else at the moment unless I become very stupid and buy myself a Threadripper setup.. I love overkill and I think with everything here, it's probably showing that a little :)

I think that though Asus have got rather pricey, but then I think every bit of hardware has.. Such a shame really.. :( Roll on a better paid job or some more servers getting thrown out so I can bring those home ;)

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
I must say this new memory proves my CPU is able to boot at 2800 mhz quite easily but what I don't get is however I tweak it and even trying for say 2400 mhz with tighter timings etc, I still cannot even match the #'s I got with my old memory which ironically is Crucial Ballistix Micron memory only rated for 1600 mhz @ 1.35 volts and at least so far all my best memory results were with those sets @ 2666 mhz and a close 2nd and more stable was @ 2400+ with good timings.

System Name Daily/SFF
Case NCASE M1
Audio Device(s) On-board
Software W10
Anyway in meantime I picked up some nice 2800 mhz used memory on Ebay I couldn't pass up to test the true ability of this xeon ivy and hopefully nowhere near dialing in the ideal secondary/tertiary timings so bandwidth is only almost as good as my old slower but very tightly timed memory..

I must say this new memory proves my CPU is able to boot at 2800 mhz quite easily but what I don't get is however I tweak it and even trying for say 2400 mhz with tighter timings etc, I still cannot even match the #'s I got with my old memory which ironically is Crucial Ballistix Micron memory only rated for 1600 mhz @ 1.35 volts and at least so far all my best memory results were with those sets @ 2666 mhz and a close 2nd and more stable was @ 2400+ with good timings.

Any info/pics on your most recent (Ebay) memory kit?

Many of the higher speed DDR3 (2800/3000) kits are single sided with just 8 higher density chips (on just one side of each stick) while some of the earlier (2666/2800) kits were double sided using 16 lower density chips (8 per side of each stick).

Usually the higher binned 2400 9-11-11 and or 2600/2666 10-11-11 kits were sought out for good overclocking benchmark results.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Any info/pics on your most recent (Ebay) memory kit?

Many of the higher speed DDR3 (2800/3000) kits are single sided with just 8 higher density chips (on just one side of each stick) while some of the earlier (2666/2800) kits were double sided using 16 lower density chips (8 per side of each stick).

Usually the higher binned 2400 9-11-11 and or 2600/2666 10-11-11 kits were sought out for good overclocking benchmark results.

Big heatspreaders on new memory so I may be able to see if they are single/double sided but possibly not, however last night I changed a couple tertiary timings and the #'s increased dramatically but wasn't stable. I have noticed this board to be quirky and even with that Crucial memory on occasion I'd suddenly see bandwidth #'s change just from restarting pc and/or changing barely anything in the timings. So some of it may be the motherboard and or/cpu memory controller and how it sets it's timings on occasion. Good idea on the double sided memory though I will get a closer look and see if I can tell.

I just put those tertiary timings Twwdr etc from 2 to 0 and that is all the difference, I get 80000 mbs read speed when they are at 0 and when I change them back to 2 or more depending on number and how many I change back I get 55-68000 mbs read. Seems the Read time is radically effected by those specific tertiary timings just fyi for y'all. I never figured out exactly why with the older memory I had similar jumps in performance because I fool around with multiple #'s because I'm impatient lol. I know you should just change one and restart/test but I spend too much time with this as it is much as I love it if I did that I'd never see the light of day till they foreclosed on my house and shut my lights off because I stayed home 24/7 and never left house tweaking each memory timing separately and running burn test each time :roll::peace:

Also the memory was used and from ebay so no packaging and it's in machine now so can't see/read specs but it was Klevv Urbane 2800 mhz kit 16 gb 12-14-14-35? I believe and technically I think it's a dual channel kit I looked up reviews after I got kit.

Last edited:
System Name Daily/SFF
Case NCASE M1
Audio Device(s) On-board
Software W10
Also the memory was used and from ebay so no packaging and it's in machine now so can't see/read specs but it was Klevv Urbane 2800 mhz kit 16 gb 12-14-14-35? I believe and technically I think it's a dual channel kit I looked up reviews after I got kit.

Found a Tweaktown review for a Klevv Urbane 2800 kit:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html

Was your Ebay memory purchase... Two kits (2x4GB) sticks now running in quad channel for 16GB total?

This bottom stick in the photo showing a row of small SMD running across the stick just above the golden fingers indicates single sided ic. The other side of the stick wont have any SMD's mounted at all.
While a double sided stick will have less SMD mounted in a different pattern but with SMD distributed equally on both sides of the stick.

Usually the IC that was used on high speed single sided kits from the memory manufactures back then were Hynix MFR.

7048_03_klevv-urbane-2800mhz-ddr3-16gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review_full.jpg

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Found a Tweaktown review for a Klevv Urbane 2800 kit:
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html

Was your Ebay memory purchase... Two kits (2x4GB) sticks now running in quad channel for 16GB total?

This bottom stick in the photo showing a row of small SMD running across the stick just above the golden fingers indicates single sided ic. The other side of the stick wont have any SMD's mounted at all.
While a double sided stick will have less SMD mounted in a different pattern but with SMD distributed equally on both sides of the stick.

Usually the IC that was used on high speed single sided kits from the memory manufactures back then were Hynix MFR.

View attachment 109347
Yes that is the exact kit, and I found that exact review few days ago when I went back to look up the kit just to learn more about it. I had seen it before on Newegg etc when I was contemplating new memory couple years ago and due to having a Sandy bridge processor opted for 2400 mhz and less because I knew 2500 was about the limit for Sandy Bridge anything else is an unexpected surprise and I had 2 Sandy's in this mobo and both had roughly that limit.

However you have to read review again it's actually a single kit of 16 GB memory according to the review and that's how the Ebayer sold it to me as well. I can tell you for a fact the Crucial memory which is double sided you can clearly see them on both sides. Heatspreaders are big but nice looking and work ridiculously well by the way, the tiny heatspreaders on my crucial memory got hot as hell these literally stay ice cold even when I put silly voltage through DIMMS so that is a plus and also the review was encouraging considering they said it was best memory they had ever tested in their opinion lol.

At any rate, it's a good kit that does what it says and single/double sided is what it is but it is giving me lessons on high speed DDR3 and settings with it versus the Micron memory so it's an interesting learning experience even if it isn't the memory I settle on but I probably will because the Micron was great but heatspreaders sucked and they seemed less stable more often and more finicky....great results but definitely this kit runs well in quad and thankfully gets along with motherboard pretty well, I just have to figure out how to get best combination of timings so it's stable AND gets me good bandwidth.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
I just booted a X99 MSI GAMING 9 with a 5930K, only issue i cant raid my 2 samsung 970S

System Name Daily/SFF
Case NCASE M1
Audio Device(s) On-board
Software W10
However you have to read review again it's actually a single kit of 16 GB memory according to the review and that's how the Ebayer sold it to me as well.

The reviewer said he received two kits and tested together...

"Just like our other KLevv samples, we were sent two 8GB kits, and we will be testing these in 16GB of density."

Label on the stick also shows 4GBx2.

I sometimes run two matching 2x4GB kits in quad mode or even as dual channel ( with full dimm/bank populated) and I also have some 4x4GB kits.

The label on your sticks should indicate how it was originally sold by the manufacturer. Anyways I don't recall/remember seeing much in the way of high speed DDR3 kits released in a 2x8GB configuration.

I
7048_04_klevv-urbane-2800mhz-ddr3-16gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review_full.jpg

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
The reviewer said he received two kits and tested together...

"Just like our other KLevv samples, we were sent two 8GB kits, and we will be testing these in 16GB of density."

Label on the stick also shows 4GBx2.

I sometimes run two matching 2x4GB kits in quad mode or even as dual channel ( with full dimm/bank populated) and I also have some 4x4GB kits.

The label on your sticks should indicate how it was originally sold by the manufacturer. Anyways I don't recall/remember seeing much in the way of high speed DDR3 kits released in a 2x8GB configuration.

I
View attachment 109359

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7...6gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-review/index.html

OK I stand corrected lol. You read carefully, I did not. I admit I read more just to get info on the kits and glossed over that bit. Also just kinda odd they reviewed it as 16gb and guy I bought it from sold it as such. I guess I'm hardly the first to use it as 16 gb "set". I can tell you I got almost exact same results including the overclocking results, only difference I can't boot 3000+ with stability but no surprise on X79 versus dual channel platform they tested it on.