• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bulldozer Core-Count Debate Comes Back to Haunt AMD

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Tera-Scale is kind of an oxymoron. In one way, it is extremely flexible (lots of fully programmable cores) but in another, it's terribly inflexible (software programmers have tell the processor how to do almost everything). I think it can be used as a general purpose CPU but it needs to be coupled with a tailor-made operating system that's unlike any operating system on the market today. It's kind of in-between a lot of ideas: part GPU (tiles remind me of CELL SPEs), part CPU (can branch far deeper than GPUs), part ASIC (whatever the architecture can do, it will do well).

Intel mostly designed Tera-Scale to test the idea of high-speed interconnects. It will never find its way into a commercial product most likely because they can't convince anyone to create and maintain the operating system for it.

For the record: Tera-Scale "tiles" are definitely cores just as Bulldozer "modules" are definitely cores. Fetch -> decode -> execute. Both do that, and so does every other core. If you try to call Tera-Scale's FPMACs "cores" like you call Bulldozer's integer cluster "cores," you end up with the same incomplete understanding of what a core must do. FPMACs and integer clusters are glorified calculators--not processors. They can tell you 1+1=2 but they can't tell you 2 is an index into an array of values and whether the referenced value is odd or even and if odd, is it prime? That takes a processor, not a calculator.

Last edited:
System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
There's really no reason to bring in 486SX's or GPU cores ... that's not what Bulldozer was competing with. From Wikichip: "Compared to Bulldozer's immediate competitor, Sandy Bridge ..."

If only AMD had called them what they truly were, there would have been zero basis for this case: Conjoined Cores

To answer my question (which I've asked twice without clear answers) of whether a Bulldozer module can start work on two different instructions in the same clock cycle, the answer is never:
We assume that the fetch units are designed so that, in the absence of sharing (no thread as-signed to the alternate core), one core can fetch every cycle. Thus, each core has the ability to generate a nextPC cache index every cycle, and to consume a fetch line every cycle. In sharing mode, however, only one request is filled. Thus, in sharing mode with fetch combining, both cores can present a PC to the ICache, but only the PC associated with the core with access rights that cycle is serviced.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
That paper is actually quite fascinating and telling of how this is about to go down , he still refers to this arrangement as being made up of "pairs of processors" and never once he implies this is anything else but a type of multiprocessor.

This paper proposes conjoined-core chip multiprocessing – topologically feasible resource sharing between adjacent cores of a chip multiprocessor to reduce die area with minimal impact on performance and hence improving the overall computational efficiency

Resources could potentially be shared among more than two processors, but this creates more topological problems. Because we primarily investigate sharing between pairs of processors, we call our approach conjoined-core chip multiprocessors.

We assume that a miss can be detected and communicated to the other core in 3 cycles

It's going to be an absolute nightmare for the plaintiffs if they decide to go down the path of disproving AMD's claims about core count. There seems to be absolutely no description found in academia that would contradict their claims that a Bullzoder chip has 8 cores/CPUs/processors.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Bare in mind that the paper was published in 2004. FX-60 debuted January 9, 2006. Kumar et. al. had no way of knowing how a dual processor chip would be marketed at the time. That discussion is also outside of the scope of their paper.

If you take Kumar's paper in whole, it warns that performance of "conjoined core" is inferior to independent cores. That's what the lawsuit alleges, AMD knew it when they decided to go with it, and they tried to pass it off as a better product than it is by omitting key details in marketing. I'd argue that if AMD even put "8 conjoined core" on the box, this lawsuit wouldn't have happened but they didn't.

What mouacyk quoted may actually explain why 7zip has poor performance on Bulldozer. Most of the instructions 7zip requires are simple array operations. If they're hitting the fetcher faster than the fetcher can cycle between threads when each thread only requires one, maybe two cycles to complete, that's how you can end up with such a massive performance hit. 7zip benefits hugely from hyperthreading because the dual thread fetcher is queuing up two threads for the same compute resources which would otherwise be underutilized. It stands to reason that in tests where Bulldozer does poorly, Hyperthreading will do exceptionally well.

I provided a plethora of examples of what consumers understand as a core from Intel, MIPS, AMD, and IBM. Either Bulldozer is wrong or the rest of the industry is wrong. My money is on Bulldozer.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's irrelevant what the industry thinks, including AMD. They don't have an authority to dictate what is what and how it should be marketed, everyone does it's own thing. There is no reference. At the end of the day AMD and Intel produce x86 licensed CPUs with varying underlying architectures that have changed more times that I can count. Fundamentally their products and the concepts they rely on aren't constant through time or particularly consistent.

If the arguments will boil down to "Here, look what everyone else does" or "This product had worse performance than competing product X", well, let's just say they are going to have an exceptionally weak case.

If the arguments will boil down to "Here, look what everyone else does" or "This product had worse performance than competing product X", well, let's just say they are going to have an exceptionally weak case.
So far this is what many in this thread have been doing.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
They don't have an authority to dictate what is what and how it should be marketed, everyone does it's own thing.
The court does. There is a dispute and the court will settle it...

I was shocked Seagate lost the lawsuit in regards to the definition of GB. Seagate was already right in labeling their products going back decades. When Seagate said there was 80 billion bytes (80 GB), there were 80 billion bytes usually with some surplus. The court ruled that 80 GB actually means 80 GiB (insert Jackie Chan WTF here) so Seagate defrauded customers of the difference (5,899,345,920 bytes). The technical argument was completely on Seagates side. It was Microsoft that mislead people by using GiB math with GB labels, not Seagate which used GB math and GB labels. The court didn't care and summary judgement was given to the plaintiff because Microsoft wasn't the one on trial, Seagate paid up.

The technical argument is entirely in the plaintiffs favor in this case. Benchmarks, conceptual papers, instruction papers, schematics, diagrams, and competing products all evidence that; however, just because the technical details are in favor of one side doesn't mean the court will see it that way. It certainly didn't in Seagate's case. How this plays out is going to depend on whose lawyers are more convincing.

I'm still miffed that Microsoft still doesn't show appropriate units to match the math they are using. I'm also miffed Seagate had to pony up for something they were blameless in (all they can be accused of is not being proactive in labelling). It is what it is.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Personally, I've always considered it quad core "plus extra stuff"... the other 4 aren't quite complete cores, they're missing something which, in their time, were important for a some operations, but not all. That's why their multithreaded performance was hit or miss. But I'm neither an engineer, nor a court... that was my take on it after reading everything I've read on it years ago when the chips were still relevant. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not 8 core though. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, depending on the operation. I don't think you can say a core isn't a core just because it lacks the ability to perform some operations, or does so poorly compared to other cores. Since processors have existed, they've been tacking on additional instruction sets and hardware under the hood. I learned recently when Spectre and Meltdown was still in the news all the time that modern processors perform "speculative execution", something processors didn't always do (it began with the Pentium Pro or something). That doesn't make processors before speculative execution became a thing not processors, it just made them shitty, outdated, obsolete processors.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
It does not have the authority to dictate...it's description.
Yes, it does, lest offenders get sued again using the previous case as ammunition against all future cases. This is the way of "common law." It is the reason why virtually all products that use 1 GB = 1 billion bytes math have that clearly printed on their label.

Depending on how the lawsuit goes here, we might see future processors contain a brief description of what a "core" is as defined by the court. Clarity is good in a market, even if meanings were twisted from intent.

1 GB in legalese is 1,073,741,824 bytes. What's on the package now? Language clearly defining 1 GB as 1 billion bytes to correct the legalese definition. The court is under no obligation to enforce an international standard.

Most likely the court is going to rule in favor of the poor, defrauded public like how the Seagate case went. That means AMD loses and "core" means "independent processor." Anything that doesn't meet that test needs clarification on the packaging which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
The court only has the authority to settle the dispute. It does not have the authority to dictate innovation and/or it's description.
Seems like they do, in Seagate's case. Now hard drive makers have to treat GB as GiB because some shmuck at Microsoft decided GB were GiB, leading to a user who bought a 250GB hard drive to read as ~232GB in Windows (even though it would also say 250,000,000,000 or whatever bytes).

Yes, it does, lest offenders get sued again using the previous case as ammunition against all future cases. This is the way of "common law."
You really need to review what the term "Common Law" actually means.
It is the reason why virtually all products that use 1 GB = 1 billion bytes math have that clearly printed on their label.
Seems like they do, in Seagate's case. Now hard drive makers have to treat GB as GiB because some shmuck at Microsoft decided GB were GiB, leading to a user who bought a 250GB hard drive to read as ~232GB in Windows (even though it would also say 250,000,000,000 or whatever bytes).
That is a definition of measurement, something a court can rule on. This case against AMD is a matter of creative functionality of a CPU, something that has varied wildly since CPU's were created. The court does not have the authority to rule on the boundaries of creative thinking.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
You really need to review what the term "Common Law" actually means.
Exactly what I said:
Common-law courts base their decisions on prior judicial pronouncements rather than on legislative enactments. Where a statute governs the dispute, judicial interpretation of that statute determines how the law applies. Common-law judges rely on their predecessors' decisions of actual controversies, rather than on abstract codes or texts, to guide them in applying the law. Common-law judges find the grounds for their decisions in law reports, which contain decisions of past controversies. Under the doctrine of Stare Decisis, common-law judges are obliged to adhere to previously decided cases, or precedents, where the facts are substantially the same. A court's decision is binding authority for similar cases decided by the same court or by lower courts within the same jurisdiction. The decision is not binding on courts of higher rank within that jurisdiction or in other jurisdictions, but it may be considered as persuasive authority.
AMD said FX-8350 is an "8-core" and the plaintiff disputes that based on articles, diagrams, and performance. "Creativity" has nothing to do with it because class-action lawsuits, by definition, require proof of damage. The only thing litigable in terms of creativity is patents, trademarks, and copyrights which is not at play here.

Seriously, I hope ya'll are learning something from this. I know I learned quite a bit about Intel Tera-Scale.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
AMD said FX-8350 is an "8-core" and the plaintiff disputes that based on articles, diagrams, and performance.

Which don't actually exist, as I pointed even in the article describing exactly the type of processor that AMD used the core count is still consistent with their claim.

And how do you prove the performance wasn't what people thought it would be ? Weren't there reviews available ? Did AMD go out of their way to hide anything about their product ? Unless there are going to be clear cut answers to that, this really will be a matter of creative thinking.

Not that I actually necessarily believe AMD will win. They are 100% in the right but US courts have proven to be a wild west numerous times.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
That is a definition of measurement, something a court can rule on.

Sure, but...

This case against AMD is a matter of creative functionality of a CPU, something that has varied wildly since CPU's were created. The court does not have the authority to rule on the boundaries of creative thinking.

Though I do agree that CPUs have changed considerably since CPUs have been a thing, this is a case about whether or not AMD has mislead customers with their "8 core" labeling on Bulldozer and related CPUs. It's more about false advertising than it is about "ruling on the boundaries of creative thinking" - i.e. what makes a core a core... but in order to decide whether or not AMD is to blame for false advertising, in this case, you would have to define what exactly makes a core, so you can decide whether or not AMD were selling 4 core CPUs or 8 core CPUs.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
And how do you prove the performance wasn't what people thought it would be ? Weren't there reviews available ? Did AMD go out of their way to hide anything about their product ? Unless there are going to be clear cut answers to that, this really will be a matter of creative thinking.
The statement of both plaintiffs is that they purchased the product based on the description of "8-cores" and did not consult reviews until after the fact. "8-core" is hiding the fact that it's very different architecturally from Thuban before it and Intel's competing product, Sandy Bridge.

...this thread has entered the looping phase.

System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
A different architecture, by definition, will result in a different CPU ...

This is why we've entered a loop, no can put their finger on what exactly is wrong.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
...that can't use the same words to accurately describe its design.

This is why we've entered a loop, no can put their finger on what exactly is wrong.
Maybe you can't, but I (and others) did, repeatedly. Have a recap:
1. Shared fetcher.
2. Depending on iteration, shared decoder.
3. Depending on iteration, shared dispatcher.
4. Shared floating point units.
5. Shared Core Interface Unit.
...we also got into why these are a problem:
1. The fetcher is incapable of saturating the ALUs in a lot of cases where it has to service both integer clusters. Thuban was able to in the same scenarios.
2. + 3. AMD choose to split the decoder and dispatcher for reasons revolving around power efficiency and performance.
4. AMD was really fixated on the idea that GPUs would take over FPU so, per thread, Bulldozer really offers no improvement over Thuban. Because collisions can happen, in practice it can be slower.
5. All communication with the rest of the system flows through this unit. Windows 10 sees the Core Interface Unit and believes it is looking at a core. It looks at the fetcher offering to take two threads and interprets that as two logical processors.

Overall, a Bulldozer module is a lot of transistors short of a dual-core. That was their intent, after all.

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Let's just say that if a court will make certain architectural choices mandatory or not allowed this will be the most bizarre thing I have witnessed this decade.

This is also the first I have heard of CPUs being "wrong".

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
Let's just say that if a court will make certain architectural choices mandatory or not allowed this will be the most bizarre thing I have witnessed this decade.
Court will not make certain architectural choices mandatory. It will decide if marketing these as different architectural choices is allowed.

System Name serenity now/Faithul Eight
Processor Amd 2400g/Amd 3800x
Motherboard Asrock ab350m Pro 4/Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling CM Masterair G100M/Wraith
Memory G.skill 2x4gb 3200/2x16 gb 3600 G.skill
Video Card(s) igpu vega 11/3070 oc Palit
Storage Apacer pcie ssd 240 gb/Adata 512gb nvme
Display(s) 50" LG 4k hdr
Case scratch build
Power Supply inter tech 650w 80+bronze/850 phantex pro
Software Ubuntu bionic beaver 18.04 lts/W10
It will decide if marketing these as different architectural choices is allowed.
That is what I was trying to elaborate, a court does not have the authority to make such a determination.
I can; Entitled, whiny snowflakes(backed by greedy lawyers) bemoaning that they feel slighted for getting 8 Integer cores without a matching number of Floating Point Units. They want to force everyone else to match their views instead of just voting with their wallets and disagreeing in a civilized way.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
I can; Entitled, whiny snowflakes(backed by greedy lawyers) bemoaning that they feel slighted for getting 8 Integer cores without a matching number of Floating Point Units. They want to force everyone else to match their views instead of just voting with their wallets and disagreeing in a civilized way.

I kind of agree with this... but I kind of don't. For guys like us who frequent a tech forum, have a "basic" (to us) understanding of what we're looking at when we read a review for a product we might be interested in, it's not too hard for us to grasp the basic concept of what was going on with Bulldozer and make an informed choice. Personally, I look at the 8 "core" Bulldozer kinda funny, but I don't lose any sleep over it... in other words, it's not a big deal. We've seen the price, performance, power draw etc figures for Bulldozer and competing chips, so when we go to buy whatever, we know what we're buying.

Then you have the group of people that think an Intel i7 chip has 7 cores, the i5 has 5 cores and so on. They might know a little more about computers than your grandma, but they don't really know all that much... and when they find out that the 8 "core" Bulldozer isn't quite 8 full, complete cores, likely after buying one, they might be a little bit mad, because they thought their 8 core FX-8350 was gonna blow their buddie's much more expensive 6 core 3930k out of the water... but then, they probably didn't research their product all that well, or read very many reviews, or maybe not even understand computer hardware quite so well in general, so that's where I agree with the whiny entitled snowflakes bit. My eyes begin to glaze over a little bit when I read one of johnnyguru's PSU reviews (or, more relevant, looking at these block diagrams and reading everyone's argument on what makes a CPU a CPU), but at least I understand enough of it (maybe not the in depth technical details) to know whether or not I'm buying a turd.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
It will decide if marketing these as different architectural choices is allowed.
That is what I was trying to elaborate, a court does not have the authority to make such a determination.
What do you mean? If they advertise the choice they made as one they did not, court pretty clearly has authority to say something about it.

The fact that whiny snowflakes(backed by greedy lawyers) are doing the bemoaning does not make an argument automatically invalid.