• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't flash MSI Vega 56 Airboost OC bios

Twinsdad21

I could use some advice here. I've scoured the web and cant find any answers. I purchased a new MSI Vega 56 Airboost OC and am trying to flash it with the Vega 64 Airboost OC bios that is on this site and I get this error message. I am using the latest version of ATI Flash 2.87 trying to flash with the only Vega 64 Airboost Bios on the site. Any suggestions ?

1554148786743.png

Here is my card info.

GPU-Z Vega 56.gif

System Name AMD™ Red Tiger
Processor AMD™ Ryzen™ 7 3800XT @ 4700mhz
Motherboard MSI™ X370 Gaming Carbon Pro
Cooling XSPC™ Raystorm™ dual XSPC D5 pumps 2x 360 EX radiators 6x Noctua™ NF-F12 Industrial™ 3000rpm
Memory Avexir™ Blitz™ 3200mhz 16.18 @ 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire™ Radeon™ RX 7900XTX under Alphacool™ water block
Storage 1x Intel™ 660p 1TB 1x Seagate™ 2TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Electriq™ VM280UHD 4K 60hz
Case Cooler Master™ Cosmos™ Pure Black with 5x Coolermaster™ bladeMaster™
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI with Logitech™ X540 5.1
Power Supply EVGA™ 1000w G2
Mouse EasySMX™ 4000dpi Red led on MSI™ Lava Dragon giant mouse mat
Keyboard Rii™ K66 Red switch mechanical keyboard with red led
Software Windows™ 10 Home
Benchmark Scores 13000 3dMark™ Time spy.
hello,
could you let me know the outcome, I got two MSI™ Radeon™ Vega 56 air boost oc's to flash, but mine are Hynix for some reason.
sorry to jump on the thread, but would flashing the v64 Samsung bios work with the Hynix please?

System Name AMD™ Red Tiger
Processor AMD™ Ryzen™ 7 3800XT @ 4700mhz
Motherboard MSI™ X370 Gaming Carbon Pro
Cooling XSPC™ Raystorm™ dual XSPC D5 pumps 2x 360 EX radiators 6x Noctua™ NF-F12 Industrial™ 3000rpm
Memory Avexir™ Blitz™ 3200mhz 16.18 @ 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire™ Radeon™ RX 7900XTX under Alphacool™ water block
Storage 1x Intel™ 660p 1TB 1x Seagate™ 2TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Electriq™ VM280UHD 4K 60hz
Case Cooler Master™ Cosmos™ Pure Black with 5x Coolermaster™ bladeMaster™
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI with Logitech™ X540 5.1
Power Supply EVGA™ 1000w G2
Mouse EasySMX™ 4000dpi Red led on MSI™ Lava Dragon giant mouse mat
Keyboard Rii™ K66 Red switch mechanical keyboard with red led
Software Windows™ 10 Home
Benchmark Scores 13000 3dMark™ Time spy.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
thank you, had a feeling that was the case, wanted that voltage for lc.

Nope it wont.

Someone tried flashing a Vega 64 Red Devil to a Vega 56 Red Devil and it did not work it actually bricks the card, the guy was very fortunate that he was able to recover, there's instances where you cannot recover so your best interest don't flash.

Twinsdad21

Thank you MrGenius. I was able to complete the flash and so it now shows a considerable amount of improvement over my well tuned Vega 56. Saw my Time Spy score jump 300+ pts

1554250680461.png

ECE_Professor

@MrGenius, @Twinsdad21:

I hope one of you can help me here. I have a new system with Ryzen 1600, TUF B450M-Plus Gaming MB and the new MSI-Vega-56-airboost OC, 8GB graphics card. I checked my GPU using TechPower GPU-Z and it says I have Samsung memory. The GPU card is in PCIEx16_1. The MB has it's hardware to use the Ryzen G CPUs which I am not using. My GPU-Z data matches what was posted above.

I tried both approaches that Twinsdad21 mentioned in the previous posts. Naturally, AMDVbFlashWin didn't work (I forgot to note down the error). But when I try the ATIFlash (well, the link talks of using ATIwinFlash which is the one I used. Both are same?), I get the error message "Adapter not found; 0FL01 error". I tried the bios switch in both positions with the same error (By the way, I notice GPU-Z showing the same data for both positions; is there any hint there to say which bios_position or bios currently being used?). After the error, I tried ATIwinflash -i thinking 'i' is for information about the card and I did not get information (some message window appeared quickly and vanished). And tried ATIwinFlash command alone and got the error message "Cannot find ATI discrete video card". I ran the UNIGINE benchmark after this bios attempt; it worked well and got scores that compare with good systems. So, I have not done anything bad to to the card, yet :) . I also tried zero and one for the card number (as someone noted in another post that number has to go from 1 to x and not 0 t x-1) but that did not work either.

I pulled out the information to flash using DOS but I am going to wait on this. If I am still working, I would have given this job to a grad student :) and not worried about anything. Again, I don't even know why I need this rig as I have not played any games in my entire life (I mean computer game)! May be VR later. But I need to flash just for the heck of it.

Oh, I had the computer case open as I am lazy and said I will close when I am done. The UNIGINE (the free version) tests made the GPU temp go high (72) that the fan kicked in with some noise. I tried again with the case door closed and the GPU temp was 5 deg. lower and the fan did not kick in, I guess (or my hearing has gone bad!). I thought the open case would dissipate the heat much faster.

And I am still not sure which switch position is for the read only BIOS (the position close to the front of the case or one close to the monitor connectors) and I could not locate any official page on that. Yeah, some folks said one on the left etc. but with reference to what?

Thanks guys

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
With the card mounted in the case it's most likely on left side, i want you to run amdvbflash.exe in a command prompt but put a /? Or a -? To see all of the possible switch parameters.

ECE_Professor

With the card mounted in the case it's most likely on left side, i want you to run amdvbflash.exe in a command prompt but put a /? Or a -? To see all of the possible switch parameters.
Thanks for the quick response. I am still lost at the switch position since the left-right is in the eye of the beholder (or where one stands with respect to the computer case. I am a southpaw and left is really my right hand!). So, is the read-only-BIOS switch position is towards the front of the case or towards the back where the video connectors are? But again, in newer cases, the video cards perhaps don't traverse from front to back. It is beyond me! I am just using an old Rosewill case got for few bucks (after rebate) long time ago.

I reread some of the posts again. Perhaps the confusion, problem is based on the fact so many ATI Flash that seems to be around and when we use the link from others things get mixed. Mr. Genius wrot: use the ATI Flash ("You have to force flash it with ATIFlash in command-line mode. Code: atiflash -f -p 0 biosname.rom") but the link he gave talked about downloading ATIWinFlash and using it which I did in a command window. It looks like according to Mr. Genius I should really be using atiFlash and not atiWinFlash? And you refer to amdvbflash confusing me more. I know AMD bought out ATI long time ago and hence we can sub AMD for ATI or vice versa. But your reference also has vb (video bios) in the name makes me wonder if one is for MBs (well, I guess ATI doesn't make MBs but AMD makes chip sets for MBs) and the other for Graphic boards. But then atiWinFlash 2.6.7 said it cannot find discrete ATI video card implying it was looking to write to the video card only. Who knows in this day of cut and paste programming, the cryptic comment came from some other use!

Well, I am writing this from another system and unable to go that system now. I will keep thinking / scratching my head in the meantime.

Thanks again.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Aft case panel or left.

System Name Temp SFF Rig :'(
Processor Q9550
Motherboard HP OEM
Cooling just about...
Memory 8GB DDR2 :rockout:
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GT 1030 LP OC to 1850+ Boost!!!
Storage 120GB SSD & 160GB HDD :(
Display(s) Acer ED242QR - 24" Curved 1080p 75Hz Freesync
Case HP SFF Desktop
Power Supply HP SFF 260w
Software Windows 10 1903
amdvbflash.exe is included in the latest ATIFLASH download which you can find here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/ and is differentiated by the lack of WIN in the .exe so you have amdvbflash.exe and amdvbflashWin.exe obviously amdvbflashWin.exe denoting the Windows GUI version instead of the non GUI version which lacks the Win denotation

ECE_Professor

Thank you guys. I went through all the switch parameters of AMDvbFlash and saved my old bios details and flashed the new one. It went well and said "Restart system to complete VBIOS update". And when it started the screen color was horrible pinkish and I restarted again and it came out alright this time.

I ran the superposition benchmark (4K optimized) and the score was 5544 with max temp of 76 Vs. the old score was 5106 with a max temp of 67 (much cooler) -- a 8.5% improvement with 15% increase in temp. Now I need to adjust voltage and other variables to bring down the temperature.

I made a copy of old bios and new BIOS information using the command AMDvbFlash -ai to make sure / compare that I indeed have the new bios. If anyone is interested, I can share later.

@MrPotatoHead (It looks like you are not related to our beloved former VP, Dan Quayle since you spelled potato properly! If you are too young to remember that joke, here you go: http://mentalfloss.com/article/64689/never-forget-time-dan-quayle-misspelled-potato): Your explanation that one is Win GUI version and the other is not seems to be half way since we have too many options. Both run under windows through the command line window and not like one in Win and for the other you go back to the "boot in DOS" days. In terms of the outputs, one gives them in a pop-up window in the true window version (but half baked in terms of information provided) and the other one spits out linear text. The later is better with more explanation. Being a #TenuredCrazyProfessor (the tenure is for the craziness and not the professorship!) and a good researcher, I over analyze everything :)

Thanks.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
The GUI version is for simplicity, I'd be surprised if there is a parameter in the gui form that can be included to output message verbosity too.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Thank you guys. I went through all the switch parameters of AMDvbFlash and saved my old bios details and flashed the new one. It went well and said "Restart system to complete VBIOS update". And when it started the screen color was horrible pinkish and I restarted again and it came out alright this time.

That's a Windows bug the pinkish, or it could be green or red.. no need to reboot, just power off your monitor then back on and it'll be back to normal..

Jimmypop420

OP (or anyone else) do you mind attaching the vega 64 rom you used flashing your rx vega 56? I want to flash my MSI rx vega 56 airboost oc with samsung memory. I have all the tools and know how to complete the flash all I need is the rom since i dont know which one to use

ECE_Professor

OP (or anyone else) do you mind attaching the vega 64 rom you used flashing your rx vega 56? I want to flash my MSI rx vega 56 airboost oc with samsung memory. I have all the tools and know how to complete the flash all I need is the rom since i dont know which one to use
If you really believed @MrGenius (2nd post) is really genius, you would not be asking this question or waiting to finish your job :) . Here you go, the list of MSI bios based on the ink he provided. Pick the 64 one based on what sub-model you have.