• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Android X86 Club

dellx86

What do you mean by "trial"? Pictures would be very helpful to help you troubleshoot.
When an option is highlighted, I hit enter to try it. EG, "Live cd - Run Android-x86 without installation"

Also I've tried changing the boot command with nomodeset and xforcevesa. No joy.

When an option is highlighted, I hit enter to try it. EG, "Live cd - Run Android-x86 without installation"

Also I've tried changing the boot command with nomodeset and xforcevesa. No joy.
What are the specs for the system in question?
EDIT; Can you take pictures? It would be nice to see what's happening.

Last edited:

dellx86

There are many. Which are relevant?
eg, xga 1024x768, memory 1280mb; video controller intel 915gm/910gml; video bios 1219; processor pentium M

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
You're welcome. Core Duo is where the supported platforms started. Now if you're looking for an OS that will run ok on that system, Linux Mint is a good choice with the XFCE UI;
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
The 32bit version is what you need for that system.
Why 32 bit? XFCE can be run with only 1GB on a 64 bit system with no problems.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
about the only option i could think of would be to get a network tuner (like hdhomerun) and using the channel's app or maybe its their own app now...

I use plex pass at the house with an older hdhomerun dual tuner and then plex sends live tv (guide is finally a proper guide) to my firetv and my roku devices...

work around but there are a few options, but nothing internal to your android x86...have to be creative

I'm thinking about doing this exact setup. I have the plex server already set up for years now, but haven't taken the live TV plunge yet. If you don't mind, could I ask you a few questions?

1. Which is better? The Roku or the FireTV? I plan to have one of them in each room of the house, so want them all to be unified. I've read that since the Roku doesn't play MPEG properly, that it can be a pain transcoding. Does this make the Roku change channels slower? Harder to rewind/fast forward, etc? I don't want 20 seconds of buffering every time I want to go back 30 seconds because I didn't hear what someone said.

2. Did you use HDHomerun's premium TV service? If so, what do you plan to use now that they're shutting it down? Is there an alternative that can run through Plex DVR the same way? I was stoked when they announced the premium service, because that meant that I could finally get rid of cable (my requirements are that it must have the channels my wife wants, lol, and it must be able to be piped through plex, because a single interface is important to her.) HDHomerun's premium TV filled that perfectly, but now it's being shut down. Do you know or use anything else?

Thanks!

System Name dell beast
Processor dual Xeon x5675
Motherboard dell t7500
Cooling stock
Memory 48gb ecc ddr3
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7870 Myst 2gb
Storage 2tb hpe ssd
Display(s) asus 23.8" 1080p
Case t7500
Audio Device(s) XFI soundblaster
Power Supply 1200watt dell
Mouse logitech
Keyboard logitech
Software win10x64
I'm thinking about doing this exact setup. I have the plex server already set up for years now, but haven't taken the live TV plunge yet. If you don't mind, could I ask you a few questions?

1. Which is better? The Roku or the FireTV? I plan to have one of them in each room of the house, so want them all to be unified. I've read that since the Roku doesn't play MPEG properly, that it can be a pain transcoding. Does this make the Roku change channels slower? Harder to rewind/fast forward, etc? I don't want 20 seconds of buffering every time I want to go back 30 seconds because I didn't hear what someone said.

2. Did you use HDHomerun's premium TV service? If so, what do you plan to use now that they're shutting it down? Is there an alternative that can run through Plex DVR the same way? I was stoked when they announced the premium service, because that meant that I could finally get rid of cable (my requirements are that it must have the channels my wife wants, lol, and it must be able to be piped through plex, because a single interface is important to her.) HDHomerun's premium TV filled that perfectly, but now it's being shut down. Do you know or use anything else?

Thanks!
sure thing, happy to talk about it.

so i started off using WMC back in vista and then in win7 with my hdhomerun dual. worked great there, but when i moved to win10 didn't feel like messing with the "hack" version of WMC and i wanted really nice wife approval. Tried Kodi for a bit and nextprv backend, but it never seemed stable, just couldn't take the time to get all kinks worked out and i could only use it on my firetv after sideloading...but a fun thing for updates and the family...

so today still using just the hdhomerun dual never sub'ed to their services, i got a deal on Plex lifetime membership and bought it. so i use their livetv service and dvr platform, wife really likes it and now both the firetv and the roku both have the grid EPG so its easy to see whats coming up, she uses her phone or the laptop to setup recording for movies and tv shows. plex handles the cover art and the descriptions....very slick

as far as roku vs firetv...i don't know. its a wash i think. roku has a better front end to get to apps (preference...)
firetv has i feel a slight lead on apps selection, but we really only use Plex and Hulu/prime so it really doesn't matter.

i have a tcl 55" roku tv and in the bedroom i have the first gen firetv. both are good, probably upgrade to roku across the board at some point...just my two cents

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
sure thing, happy to talk about it.

so i started off using WMC back in vista and then in win7 with my hdhomerun dual. worked great there, but when i moved to win10 didn't feel like messing with the "hack" version of WMC and i wanted really nice wife approval. Tried Kodi for a bit and nextprv backend, but it never seemed stable, just couldn't take the time to get all kinks worked out and i could only use it on my firetv after sideloading...but a fun thing for updates and the family...

so today still using just the hdhomerun dual never sub'ed to their services, i got a deal on Plex lifetime membership and bought it. so i use their livetv service and dvr platform, wife really likes it and now both the firetv and the roku both have the grid EPG so its easy to see whats coming up, she uses her phone or the laptop to setup recording for movies and tv shows. plex handles the cover art and the descriptions....very slick

as far as roku vs firetv...i don't know. its a wash i think. roku has a better front end to get to apps (preference...)
firetv has i feel a slight lead on apps selection, but we really only use Plex and Hulu/prime so it really doesn't matter.

i have a tcl 55" roku tv and in the bedroom i have the first gen firetv. both are good, probably upgrade to roku across the board at some point...just my two cents

That's the big kicker for me, I guess... I need a premium TV service. My wife isn't going to be able to handle not having certain channels. And I'd really like something that can be piped through Plex Live TV/DVR, and HDHomerun's premium service was perfect for that, but they've shut it down. Antennae simply won't do for her, where I'm at.

I think the best way forward at this point is to get the antennae to pipe through Plex, and then subscribe to Sling or Youtube (along with netflix, etc) and just deal with multiple interfaces... I think it won't be so bad with a roku since at least they will all share the same remote, and a single device can get them all at least under a single menu. Not ideal, but I think it's as good as I'm going to get.

Mazrim Taim

Welcome to the club for Android X86! While this thread will primarily focus on distributions from http://www.android-x86.org, discussions about other versions or forks are welcome. Here everyone is welcome to talk about it, seek advice, ask for help and hang out.

Good, because I could use some help. ;)

I'm hoping to make an old desktop PC a dual boot (Windows 7 + Android x86).
So far I managed to install Android and boot into it.

When I run Android as Live CD (USB stick without installation), everything works fine and looks fine.
However, when I run it natively from hard disk, it looks like Android is running in some kind of box. Black bars all around and distorted icons.

My best guess would be that Android is switching to something generic and is not detecting or properly using the graphics card.
I tried to find a solution online. Nothing. I fiddled with several settings as well as menu.lst in the grub folder. No luck.

So I'm out of ideas and things to try.
Hopefully you (or someone else who better understands Android x86) will be able to solve this problem.
Please note that I'm not experienced when it comes to Linux or grub, so you will have to be as detailed as possible.

The Android x86 version I'm using is android-x86-6.0-r3
I'd like to keep it that way, because android 6 also runs on my tablet, so I'm already familiar with it.
I've installed the 32bit version, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?

It might be worth mentioning that I used Grub2Win because with EasyBCD I was unable to boot into Android.
Someone else experienced the same problem.
I could see the entry for Android but I could not boot into that. I tried to add a boot entry with Grub (legacy) connected to the Android partition
without any success. Then I tried all other available partitions, naturally nothing again. Once I tried to add a Grub2 entry but all I got was an empty list
without boot entries, so I saw a Grub command prompt. I know nothing of Grub, so I cannot use this command prompt to boot into Android-x86.

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/75520-dual-boot-windows-10-android-x86.html

The PC I run it on has a ga-8trc410mnf-rh motherboard, 3GB of RAM, a Pentium D945 CPU, and an AMD Radeon R5 200 (1GB) graphics card, connected to a PHL 243V5 monitor (1920x1080@60Hz).
Capable of running Windows 7 smoothly, so this system should easily be able to handle Android 6.

The photos below show the problem.
When running as Live CD, everything is fine.

PIC_1577.JPG

When running from the installed version, black bars all around.

PIC_1578.JPG

PIC_1579.JPG

Good, because I could use some help. ;)
I'll do my best! And Welcome to the TPU forums!

When running from the installed version, black bars all around.
That is odd and it's a known, unfixed glitch I have encountered many times. It has to do with the AMD Radeon GPU resolution modes not being well supported on Android 6r3. If you need Android 6 for some reason I would recommend the alternate version with CyanogenMod 13 implementations.
It's less glitchy with AMD GPU's and will run a bit better on your Pentium D.

If you're not set on Android 6, give Android 7.1r2 a try as it's better all around and will still run well on that hardware;
It's got better hardware support for AMD products and is much more stable on same.

Something else you may wish to consider is PrimeOS, which is also based on Android 7, and has more of a traditional desktop interface;
Recommend the Classic version instead of the Standard or Mainline version, both because it's more stable and better suited for older hardware like yours.

I've personally been having fun with PrimeOS and was going to post about it here shortly but here we are!

Last edited:

Mazrim Taim

I'll do my best! And Welcome to the TPU forums!

Time for an update.

I tried everything you suggested. PrimeOS, Android 7.1r2 and CyanogenMod 13.

PrimeOS would have been great, had I been able to install it.
Based on what I've read about it and seen in a video, PrimeOS has serious potential.
It looks like running it on my other desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 7 1700, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB RAM) will have to wait until I can use PrimeOS Mainline 64 bit.
if you use a desktop and have a Nvidia GPU, you should not use this variant as it will cause lockups and will lead to freezes

Speaking of freezes, that is the reason why installing PrimeOS Classic failed.
I got a bunch of ACPI Exceptions (much like this - https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=278078) and the installation froze.
Or more precise, became tremendously slow. To the point where it's impossible to work with.

I've experienced it before (on this system) in everything Linux-based (Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Android) that was released roughly since 2018.
Everything from that point throws ACPI Exceptions and freezes all the time. Sometimes for 15 minutes or even more.

For instance, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (released July 2016) works fine, but Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS (released february 2019) is impossible to work with.
At some point in 2018 something in Linux changed that this system can't handle, which unfortunately includes PrimeOS.

Some suggested a BIOS-update.
Not an option on a system this old.

The other two, Android 7.1r2 and CyanogenMod 13, I was able to install and run those.
The result however was exactly the same. Full screen in Live mode, black bars when running the installed version.

I'm out of ideas and I'm close to giving up. :(

I doubt having used grub2win has anything to do with this.
And why does Live mode have no problem with AMD Radeon GPU?

PIC_1583.JPG

View attachment 129580

Time for an update.

I tried everything you suggested. PrimeOS, Android 7.1r2 and CyanogenMod 13.

PrimeOS would have been great, had I been able to install it.
Based on what I've read about it and seen in a video, PrimeOS has serious potential.
It looks like running it on my other desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 7 1700, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB RAM) will have to wait until I can use PrimeOS Mainline 64 bit.

Speaking of freezes, that is the reason why installing PrimeOS Classic failed.
I got a bunch of ACPI Exceptions (much like this - https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=278078) and the installation froze.
Or more precise, became tremendously slow. To the point where it's impossible to work with.

I've experienced it before (on this system) in everything Linux-based (Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Android) that was released roughly since 2018.
Everything from that point throws ACPI Exceptions and freezes all the time. Sometimes for 15 minutes or even more.

For instance, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (released July 2016) works fine, but Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS (released february 2019) is impossible to work with.
At some point in 2018 something in Linux changed that this system can't handle, which unfortunately includes PrimeOS.

Some suggested a BIOS-update.
Not an option on a system this old.

The other two, Android 7.1r2 and CyanogenMod 13, I was able to install and run those.
The result however was exactly the same. Full screen in Live mode, black bars when running the installed version.

I'm out of ideas and I'm close to giving up. :(

I doubt having used grub2win has anything to do with this.
And why does Live mode have no problem with AMD Radeon GPU?

View attachment 129579
Have you tried Android X86 4.4.4r5? It's older but still supported.

Mazrim Taim

Have you tried Android X86 4.4.4r5? It's older but still supported.

No need to try anything else, problem solved through experimentation.

As I mentioned earlier, previously I had to use grub2win in order to create a working boot entry to Android.
During the installation of Android a prompt comes up, asking if you want to install GRUB. I always chose yes.

Nothing ever happened though. No boot entry or grub installer visible.
So from Windows I ran EasyBCD and added a boot entry (either grub or grub2).

Neither of those (grub or grub2) allowed me to boot to Android.
The only way I could make that happen was by using grub2win.
It allowed me to run Android from hard disk, but with black borders.
Graphics issue, one would think. Turns out to be hard disk related though.

What got me thinking in the right direction was that during the installation of Android,
when asked to choose a partition to install Android-x86, it never showed the SSD that Windows 7 is installed on.
The same SSD that holds the MBR and boots first. It only showed the HDD where I could select a partition to install Android on.

So from Windows I ran EasyBCD, clicked on BCD Backup/Repair, selected change boot drive, clicked on Perform Action,
and selected the HDD as new boot drive.
EasyBCD will re-configure your system to boot from the partition you select below. This process will set up a BCD store on the selected disk,
copy the current BCD entries over, and make the selected partition both active & bootable.

After that I rebooted, went into BIOS and changed the boot order from SSD first to HDD first.
Next I ran the Android installer again (after booting from USB) and this time I do have a grub menu.
I can now succesfully boot to Android (Release 7.1-r2) and everything works fine.

Not a graphics issue, but an unrecognized SSD. Should have figured that out sooner.

xdanex

hey guys, I have s problem.
Blurthooth has stop working, I analyzed all parameters and came to a conclusion that the driver is not installed as it doesn't have some of the tools.
Any idea where I can get the Atheros Qualcomm 6.17.0506.0301, 4.0.0.325. Let me knownwehere I can get some inform thanks

hey guys, I have s problem.
Blurthooth has stop working, I analyzed all parameters and came to a conclusion that the driver is not installed as it doesn't have some of the tools.
Any idea where I can get the Atheros Qualcomm 6.17.0506.0301, 4.0.0.325. Let me knownwehere I can get some inform thanks
Did it ever work? (And welcome to TPU!)

Yes it does on windows 10. It is really missing the driver .
Oh, you're looking for the card itself? Take it out, look at the model number, pug that number into either ebay or amazon and you find one. Then buy it, swap it out and you should be good.

NekCi

Hello everyone. Just installed the Android x86 on my Dell Venue 11 Pro (5130) and i have an small issue with game called Auto Chess. When i install the system on fat32 game work good but i have only 4gb storage. When i install the system on ext4 i have all the storage available but when i run the game shows only black screen. Is there a way to run this game and have all the storage available?

Hello everyone. Just installed the Android x86 on my Dell Venue 11 Pro (5130) and i have an small issue with game called Auto Chess. When i install the system on fat32 game work good but i have only 4gb storage. When i install the system on ext4 i have all the storage available but when i run the game shows only black screen. Is there a way to run this game and have all the storage available?
Looked into that. Not sure what causes it. Have you turned on Developer Options? If so, have you made sure you're running with the "Dalvik" Runtime? The only other thing I can think of is to enable "Force GPU Rendering".