• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did you get a shiny new Ryzen 3000 CPU?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The Xbox (beta) app is super buggy. Worst "game launcher" I've used to date.

Really? I have literally had 0 issues with it. I have played Shadow of War, Crosscode, and a few other games with it. I think maybe your issues are AMD hardware related, AMD seems to have a lot of bugs in general still, which is why I am holding off on my build.

Win 10 - clean install - latest drivers, gtx 1070 and i7-7820HK cpu, and literally had 0 crashes, and 0 issues playing games on Game Pass

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yeah, MS has problems with "stable" software, no surprise that "beta" is a buggy mess.

Last edited:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
Really? I have literally had 0 issues with it. I have played Shadow of War, Crosscode, and a few other games with it. I think maybe your issues are AMD hardware related, AMD seems to have a lot of bugs in general still, which is why I am holding off on my build.

Win 10 - clean install - latest drivers, gtx 1070 and i7-7820HK cpu, and literally had 0 crashes, and 0 issues playing games on Game Pass
Seriously, wtf? Why would the fact that the crappy beta app doesn't download the games I try to download have anything to do with my CPU? They show up as downloading in the Windows store app though, for no apparent reason.
On top of that, it keeps randomly logging my out, not allowing me to launch games and other things at are clearly related to the Xbox app. Every single game launcher I have besides the Xbox one works just fine. So no, this has NOTHING to do with my CPU. But hey, Intel fanboy in AMD discussion, slagging off AMD for no reason... Maybe you should stick to what you know then?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Seriously, wtf? Why would the fact that the crappy beta app doesn't download the games I try to download have anything to do with my CPU? They show up as downloading in the Windows store app though, for no apparent reason.
On top of that, it keeps randomly logging my out, not allowing me to launch games and other things at are clearly related to the Xbox app. Every single game launcher I have besides the Xbox one works just fine. So no, this has NOTHING to do with my CPU. But hey, Intel fanboy in AMD discussion, slagging off AMD for no reason... Maybe you should stick to what you know then?

I just bought a 3700x a couple weeks ago... I'm an intel fanboy? I'm stating something logical... if I have 0 issues with the same app on intel/nvidia... it probably means its AMD related, same as to when (and still) Destiny 2 has issues with latest Ryzen...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just bought a 3700x a couple weeks ago... I'm an intel fanboy? I'm stating something logical... if I have 0 issues with the same app on intel/nvidia... it probably means its AMD related, same as to when (and still) Destiny 2 has issues with latest Ryzen...
Right, of course, I think you should return it for a refund then, as clearly it's a POS...

Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Have a Snickers.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Have a Snickers.

this really made me laugh, well done. there is no reason to be so mad, I honestly don't care either way, it's just the most logical explanation I can think of why he is having issues with that and I am not

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
this really made me laugh, well done. there is no reason to be so mad, I honestly don't care either way, it's just the most logical explanation I can think of why he is having issues with that and I am not
Right, the most logical reason a BETA program is buggy, is because of my CPU...
I think you want to check your logic...

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Right, the most logical reason a BETA program is buggy, is because of my CPU...
I think you want to check your logic...

yeah... if said program works fine on someone else's gear... what are the variables that changed? in this situation the gpu ans cpu changed and the other user had 0 issues. similar to destiny 2.

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
yeah... if said program works fine on someone else's gear... what are the variables that changed? in this situation the gpu ans cpu changed and the other user had 0 issues. similar to destiny 2.
There are plenty more variables that can result in his particular problem other than cpu and gpu. Other software, different software configuration, network configuration, geographical location, the list goes on. The problem may not even be on his end. It's a sea of variables.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
There are plenty more variables that can result in his particular problem other than cpu and gpu. Other software, different software configuration, network configuration, geographical location, the list goes on. The problem may not even be on his end. It's a sea of variables.

Yeah agreed, but the strongest evidence points to an AMD issue. I expect if it is, it will be fixed fast though since 3 free months is included for all new buyers anyway

System Name Blackbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF B550-Plus WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill FlareX 3200Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + WD SN550 1TB + Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GP850-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard MasterKeys Pro S White (MX Brown)
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores It plays games.
A few years ago I used one of those apps to block all telemetry from W10 and one of the side effects was losing the ability to install stuff from the MS Store. IT would say it was downloading/installing and nothing would happen (because it couldn't connect to MS some servers).

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
I think you worry too much about things that are "normal" for Ryzen 3000.
The problem is that AMD hasn't been great at communicating what is normal.
My Voltages fluctuates like crazy and so does the temperatures, however, if you've read any of the limited feedback from AMD, this is how the CPUs are designed.
The Ryzen 3000 thermal sensors react quite differently to previous generations of CPUs and they seem to report the hottest temperature in the chip and the least bit of load, will cause temperatures to spike, but they also drop back just as quickly. This is "strange" behaviour compared to past generations of CPUs and it's something AMD could've communicated much better.
Yes, I was also wondering about all of this, but from what I have managed to find, it's all the new "normal".
What I cant' complain about is stability, as despite all of the weirdness, my system is 100% stable.

I understand that this is how Ryzen 3000 is supposed to work, but it feels a lot like AMD is trying to reach what are in essence, unattainable clockspeeds, by leveraging this generation's aggressive PB2 to save it from disaster at the last second.

What do I mean? With any 65W SKU in the past, you have an initial period of boost when you can hit those speeds on the box, and then TDP takes over, and you're back to either base speed or Turbo Table's (for Intel) recommended allcore speed. This way, you can have that burst speed whule staying within the power and thermal envelope.

With the 3700X, it's not content with that burst. PB2 ensures that even at full load, it's a constant cycle of
  • Ryzen reaches 4361MHz
  • Ryzen finds it wholly unsustainable on power
  • Ryzen scales back to 3900MHz
  • Ryzen starts twiddling its thumbs
  • Ryzen goes back to 4361MHz
Whereas you can have a 9400F or 9700 and on a Z390 have it run at max boost all day long and it'll be happy as long as it's cooled, Ryzen isn't. It's too "smart" a CPU that it's always trying to give you that boost speed. But at the same time, it is so strict on itself that it can't stay at those speeds, but also so enthusiastic that it can't make do with anything less than max boost.

Case in point: Prime95. People say a lot of things about P95 but at the end of the day, if you can pass P95 for extended periods, your system is stable. With Ryzen constantly fluctuating in speed and voltage, what is stable anymore?

I am missing out on a whole bunch of performance at 3.6GHz, but it's, if anything, a more traditional experience.

As for stability, I always have one WHEA error popping up whenever I let Ryzen do its PB2 thing. The only sure thing is that I don't get it at base speeds, so as long as it's boosting, I get that WHEA.

At 3.6GHz, 7nm Ryzen is the perfect storm of efficiency. Is it just me or do I remember AMD initially showing off the IPC gains and efficiency gains with a ES 3700X running at sub-4GHz? Thats because it's Ryzen's sweet spot. Pushing it further, as they've done, is either to close the gap with Intel or overcome the shame of selling a CPU that can barely beat its predecessor, the 2700X. And honestly, there's no shame, because that's how 7nm is right now, but the market doesn't see it that way.

I guess this is the price we pay for 7nm early adoption without waiting for process optimization. Where AMD is right now technologically is not quite where you want to or need to be, ideally.

Last edited:
System Name Planet Espresso
Processor 13700KF @ 5.4GHZ UV - 220W cap
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit EVO
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2TB WD SN850, 4TB WD SN850X
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case Jonsbo Z20
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard 65% HE Keyboard
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbizxh
it might also be related to your videocard driver...

"This issue is a flaw in firmware's using AGESA 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.2, it has resulted in previously stable Ryzen 1x00 and 2x00's to be unstable and produce the same errors.
users should move to agesa 1.0.0.3 based firmwares if on 3k cpu's once released, or downgrade back to older firmwares if using 1 and 2k products."

Looks like the current AGESA is not the stablest of the bunch when pushed - basically affecting nvidia users at a larger rate than others. Nvidia was able to reproduce.

I feel like this is why the 3900 (non-x), if they make it, with a clean PBO boost to 4.2 or 4.1 Ghz (and an ageasa update) might be the best ws chip of the bunch.

Last edited:
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
@tabascosauz This is with CPB on, PBO on, everything pretty much at default in gigabyte bios, apart from memory timings and frequency:

And it's 32C outside. No AC in room.

With Mozilla and TPU in background:

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6400CL32┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
@tabascosauz This is with CPB on, PBO on, everything pretty much at default in gigabyte bios, apart from memory timings and frequency:

And it's 32C outside. No AC in room.

With Mozilla and TPU in background:

There's no point for me. Temperature doesn't matter. I have central A/C. My case may be small, but I'm already pull-pulling the D9L with A9s (a setup that handles my 4.4 all core voltage-lemon 4790K with ease). I've tested with the F12 (almost directly over top the D9L) running max PWM (jet engine mode) and it barely makes 1 degree of difference when I'm doing OCCT Large.

For an analogy, imagine my not-OC-happy 4790K had its max allcore STOCK boost set by Intel at 4.6GHz instead of 4.2GHz. It would have an absolutely abominable time because it's already on the cusp of a voltage wall at 4.4. Basically seems to be what's happening with my chip, AMD wants it to do x GHz but it physically just isn't up to the task.

No point in even running Linpack and P95 because with CPB on, Ryzen's pulling back and advancing its clocks on its own accord.

There are three possibilities that are not necessarily mutually exclusive:

1) My 3700X is on the lower end of the lottery. Might explain why it's an angel at base clock and Diablo at even 4.2GHz, and why others seem to do better.

2) The B450I Aorus isn't built to handle the 3700X.

3) Gigabyte is doing a terrible job on preparing 400-series BIOSes for Ryzen 3000.

----

@phanbuey I would very much love for it to be a GPU driver thing, and for a simple WHQL rollout to solve the problem, but it doesn't look like it as at base speeds, no WHEA errors are tripped ever. Reinforces my belief that AMD's strategy of demanding more than the chips can deliver, just to suit their marketing team - the poorly binned ones would suffer significantly. Also, there have been a few Geforce driver releases in the past month since that thread was created and they were "looking into the issue"; since I'm on the Gamescom driver, they clearly are either still "looking" or have ignored it altogether.

Deep down, I don't feel like Nvidia is responsible here or the root cause of these issues. AMD clearly needs to get their shit together. I don't think I have ever offered more than lukewarm praise for Intel's hardware, but the software and firmware they develop to support said CPUs is generally solid. From the 1.0.0.2-1.0.0.3A AGESA fiasco and the ongoing gong show that is driver support for RX 5700, I think we know where AMD stands on this. Maybe 1.0.0.4 will be a bit better for me, maybe not.

Have got a new WHEA event today, aside from the usual one. Looks like AMD and Nvidia just really don't want to work together.

Last edited:
System Name Revenge of the Strix
Processor Ryzen 5800x3d
Motherboard Asus Strix-e x570
Cooling Corsair H150i pro xt
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Red Devil 7900xtx
Storage Adata S50 1tb gen4 - WD Black 1tb gen3 - Seagate2tb SSHD - WD 2tb
Display(s) Dell G3223Q
Case Asus Helios
Audio Device(s) X-fi + Bose Companion 50
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX 750w
Mouse Asus Pugio II
Keyboard Asus Falchion
Software Windows 11
I have the original SX8200NP and a "last BIOS time" in Task Manager of around ~18 seconds. I previously thought it was a Ryzen 3000 + B450 problem.

The fast boot options don't make a difference for me; once Windows starts booting everything is hella fast. You should probably just move it up to the first slot, it's not like NVMe/PCIe isn't backwards compatible. You get to use the board's heatsink too.

I'm not even sure if it's NVMe that causes this delay at boot. It seems like the most plausible explanation, but in that case, how come just changing from 2133 JEDEC speeds to 3200 C16 XMP cut down my pre-Windows booting time to 1/3 of what it was on JEDEC? Literally nothing else had changed with my system when this happened.

i've noticed something.fast boot disable in bios and windows but when i change mouse and keyboard windows starting with no loops like flash on samsung 970 m2 but now i can't do it.windows doesn't "loading" anything it only search mouse and keyboard.sorry for the wallpaper. :p

System Name El Calpulator
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Pro RS
Cooling ArcticCooling Freezer 3 360ARGB AIO
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengance 6000Mhz C30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Gaming Trio X @ 2925 / 23500 mhz
Storage 5TB nvme SSD + Synology DS115j NAS with 4TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung G8 34" QD-OLED + Samsung 28" 4K 60hz UR550
Case Montech King 95 PRO Blue
Audio Device(s) SB X4+Logitech Z623 2.1+Astro A50 Wireless
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W ATX 3.0 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Keyboard Logitech G915 LightSpeed Wireless
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores Just enough
So I've decided to go back to Intel after moving to AMD with their latest generation, I've just only had issues since I've moved and I came from a hassle free Intel rig (not a fanboy) . I really like what AMD is doing right now and I really wanted this to work (changed a few MB and CPU and RAM) the system is not stable in idle most of the times, I get frequent BSOD's. I tried all the options over the internet (apparently there are a few people with this issue). Also the CPU tends to get very hot , especially on core 2nd and 6th. I don't really have the time to sort this out as I have a 18 month old boy, downgraded as I don't use the PC that much anymore but I wanted something to just work out of the box without any issue. I am an IT technician so I kind of know how to troubleshoot but in this case it is taking too much time...I know that with time the bugs and issues will be sorted but I can't wait. I will keep my 5700XT as I really like it.
If anyone wants to upgrade to this gen I would say give it a bit more time, especially if you want a Ryzen 5, the X570 chipset is an overkill for this, wait for B550 imo...
Sorry for the long post.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 CL36 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-FX5)
Video Card(s) INNO3D GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti SUPER TWIN X2
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, 4TB WD Black SN850X
Display(s) 42" LG C2 OLED, 27" ASUS PG279Q
Case Thermaltake Core P5
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE
Keyboard Corsair K100 RGB
VR HMD HTC Vive Cosmos
I have been seeing BSODs caused by drivers in my B450/2400G system with last 2 drivers. Unfortunately, I have been updating both chipset and GPU drivers so I am not sure which ones are root of this evil.
Getting very hot is probably expected. 1.5V to a single core will get that core pretty hot pretty fast and this is normal operation for Ryzen 3000 CPU. It is nothing to worry about.

Mouse Logitech G502X Plus LightSpeed Hero Wireless plus Logitech G POWERPLAY Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Software Win 11 Pro
I have been seeing BSODs caused by drivers in my B450/2400G system with last 2 drivers. Unfortunately, I have been updating both chipset and GPU drivers so I am not sure which ones are root of this evil.
Getting very hot is probably expected. 1.5V to a single core will get that core pretty hot pretty fast and this is normal operation for Ryzen 3000 CPU. It is nothing to worry about.
I've reinstalled Windows a couple of times on different drives, latest updates and drivers.Also I have the latest BIOS
The high temps are showing on only 2 cores the rest are below 50C but the 2 ones are over 80C in AIDA64 Extreme stability test

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
Interesting that you guys have been having so many issues with with your new systems, my 3700x with gigabyte's x570 m-itx board has been dead stable for me, the only times I've had crashes or anything has been when I've been playing with overclocks

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Anyone with a Ryzen 3 CPU and Asus X570 board have issues installing AISuite 3? I'm suddenly not able to get it to work. The app will install but throws off the message:

The system cannot find the file specified, ProgID:
"AsusFanControlService.FanControlManager"

If I google that, the hits return to 2018 and point to a windows update and a way(ways) to fix it...of which none work. The funny thing is that I installed it literally a couple of weeks ago on a budget X570 Asus board, but it won't work on the fully updated (bios 1805) Crosshair VIII....

EDIT: Fixed. Had ot run CC Cleaner for the registry, then run AIS Cleaner, then reinstall. Weird.

Last edited:
Software Win 11 Pro
Changed my mind and I am willing to go through with this, I will order new RAM and get windows installed on my non m.2 drive. I hope I can get rid of those BSOD's...ran AIDA64 Extreme stability test for 1 h 20 min yesterday with the CPU OC'ed to 4250mhz 1.28v and it worked fine. My only problem is when is idle...tried disabling C state, put normal voltage value on idle in BIOS...same issue