• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This. Wow... I hadn't noticed. It's not like performance will change much, but yeah, running BELOW platform spec isn't doing the platform justice. Wow...

I mean a potato would work at those speeds on either platform. It isn't testing much and leaving a bit of performance that EVERYONE would have on the table.. yikes... yikes. :(

JEDEC are simple specs/standards for the memory. It has nothing to do with the platform...just the base specs for the RAM and for compatibility. As far as the IC's under rated lower and anything above that overclocking... that is false. When I buy sticks of RAM, on the box it is rated to run at XXXX MHz, period. For 9900k, anything over 2666 is considered overclocking the IMC (not the sticks). For Zen 2, anything over 3200 MHz would be overclocking its IMC. You are only overclocking the RAM if you are going over what is rated on the box. Don't worry about JEDEC.

If brands want to show products in the best possible light, they should provide the supporting hardware. I mean I know its different here on TPU because of the global spread of staff, but... you know what going on and YOU complaining about it seems.... hilarious. ;)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If brands want to show products in the best possible light, they should provide the supporting hardware. I mean I know its different here on TPU because of the global spread of staff, but... you know what going on and YOU complaining about it seems.... hilarious. ;)
Dave, it isn't up the AIBs to provide you with the right speed of memory for testing. Many sites have some around from memory reviews or other test system that would be appropriate/compatible, or one can simply ask for it (a site this big they will send it when asked, you know this). I don't recall what we had shipped with things (if anything), but we used GSkill Flare X kit @ 3200 MHz. If I'm a reviewer and know a platform spec is 3200 and I got sent 2400 sticks by an AIB as I think you are inferring, I would be on the horn immediately asking what is up and trying to land some 3200 MHz sticks. Certainly any one of the memory partners would have sent a 3200 MHz kit if asked. Worst case, it's procured after a launch review... but TPU is 5 boards deep and it has been nearly 2 months since release while still running 2400 MHz memory...

Like I said... yikes... but yikes with a perspective that I know performance wise it isn't a huge deal. Continuing and the way forward being to run the platform under spec is curious...............

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
JEDEC are simple specs/standards for the memory. It has nothing to do with the platform...just the base specs for the RAM and for compatibility. As far as the IC's under rated lower and anything above that overclocking... that is false. When I buy sticks of RAM, on the box it is rated to run at XXXX MHz, period. For 9900k, anything over 2666 is considered overclocking the IMC (not the sticks). For Zen 2, anything over 3200 MHz would be overclocking its IMC. You are only overclocking the RAM if you are going over what is rated on the box. Don't worry about JEDEC.
Are you saying that if I run RAM at 3200MT/s on 3rd gen Ryzen CPU even at 1.35V, it is still within specs??
In that case , TPU should run 3rd gen Ryzen at default 3200MT/s.

Black Haru

Staff member
Yes. That is the BASE speed for the platform.
It's the maximum officially supported speed. It is not the base speed. I see where you are coming from, but my logic has always been to bencark boards in an "out of the box" state. So that if you go and buy an identical system you can replicate my results. The memory kit I use for testing (and all kits I currently have on hand) default to 2400 MHz. To run them at 3200 MHz would be an overclock, officially supported or not.

That makes no sense (to me) to test under the platform specification speed. People can replicate the platform spec just as easily.

Memory will default to whatever the spec out as JEDEC. If your sticks are rated to xxxx mhz XMP it isnt overclocking the ram as they are rated at those speeds out of the box. If you have sticks rated to 3200 mhz and your platform and cpu is 3200 mhz, nothing is overclocked.

I dont know.. just dont see how you can test so far under the platform spec....especially when amd says the sweetspot is 3600/3733. A vast majority will be using 3200-3733 on this platform, not 2400.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
It's the maximum officially supported speed. It is not the base speed. I see where you are coming from, but my logic has always been to bencark boards in an "out of the box" state. So that if you go and buy an identical system you can replicate my results. The memory kit I use for testing (and all kits I currently have on hand) default to 2400 MHz. To run them at 3200 MHz would be an overclock, officially supported or not.
Does this mean you also don't update the UEFI? Or change any settings at all in the UEFI?

And no, it would not be an overclock if you're using RAM that is rated for the speed, since its an officially supported memory speed by the CPU manufacturer.
Likewise, 2666MHz on Intel would not be an overclock.
Considering your kit defaults to 2400MHz, it's still faster than most RAM that defaults to 2133MHz, so isn't that an overclock too then, using your logic?

Not trying to pick holes in your testing or methodology here, just trying to understand why and maybe to have you consider some things when you test boards.

Processor 5700X
Motherboard ASRock Gaming X
Memory 2x8 3600 CL14
Video Card(s) 1080 SEAHAWK
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2703-GS
With all those comment I understand why there was so much perfs dif between all AM4 boards :wtf:

LBomb

Hi All
Looking for some help with connecting this board up to a Corsair RM750x (2018) model#CP-9020179-AU. The mobo has a 8 pin and 4 pin connection (orange box), presumably for the CPU, but the PSU only has an 8 pin connector; as in no 4 pin connection. Is it OK to just use the 8 pin without the 4 pin?

Also want to check what the 24 pin connection (red box) is for and if it needs to be connected in addition to the above? Perhaps its for the actual mobo where the orange box is just for the CPU?

PS: First time build with a nice budget, so small words please :). Rest of the components are here fyi.

1577755769979.png

1577756368949.png

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
Hi All
Looking for some help with connecting this board up to a Corsair RM750x (2018) model#CP-9020179-AU. The mobo has a 8 pin and 4 pin connection (orange box), presumably for the CPU, but the PSU only has an 8 pin connector; as in no 4 pin connection. Is it OK to just use the 8 pin without the 4 pin?

Also want to check what the 24 pin connection (red box) is for and if it needs to be connected in addition to the above? Perhaps its for the actual mobo where the orange box is just for the CPU?

PS: First time build with a nice budget, so small words please :). Rest of the components are here fyi.

View attachment 140893
View attachment 140894
8 pin is fine for everything, unless you are doing LN2 overclocking.
And you need to connect the 24pin (red highlight) power connector. Without it the pc will not power up.

Hi All

View attachment 140893
Small words you say? Read your mobo manual. :)

The manual states that 4-pin EPS is optional as well as detailing the 24-pin ATX (which would not fit on the 8+4 EPS) is required. :)

LBomb

Thank you both @EarthDog and @IceShroom . Do either of you have any recommendations for a quality PSU that has 4 pin connections as well? I'm thinking of future proofing myself a little because I suspect I'm going to get into tinkering. Maybe even reply to questions on forums one day.

Thank you both @EarthDog and @IceShroom . Do either of you have any recommendations for a quality PSU that has 4 pin connections as well? I'm thinking of future proofing myself a little because I suspect I'm going to get into tinkering. Maybe even reply to questions on forums one day.
That isn't really future proofing as you dont need it. Do you plan on overclocking using dry ice or liquid nitrogen in the future? Making an investment on a pot, dewar, ln2/dry ice, etc?