• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Montech Flyer

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Montech Flyer mATX chassis clocks in at around an affordable $50, but offers two fans, RGB with built-in control, AIO liquid cooling capabilities, and a shiny and clean paint job. Could this be the perfect starter chassis or does the low price mean corners were cut?

Show full review

A case review without thermals seems rather pointless...
From a user's perspective it is indeed like 99% worthless (I assume a photo here or there might actually help a user once in a while).
From a business perspective, however, it makes perfect sense: minimal effort is invested, and the money from the companies whose cases are being adver... I mean reviewed... pays the bills.

Anyhoo, it would seem you are now a member of the exclusive club of people who express their opinions about the issue, but our words fall on deaf ears. Or should it be text falling on blind eyes on an Internet forum?

System Name PATATAS-3XTR3M3
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 240MP
Memory 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti UV:850@1850
Storage Boot Drive: ADATA XPG SX6000 256gb, Storage Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 x2
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Audio Device(s) Samson SR850 connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Akko MOD006, Durock POMS
IMO you guys should check out more of Tecware's cases. Here in SEA they're hella good cases for the price.

From a user's perspective it is indeed like 99% worthless (I assume a photo here or there might actually help a user once in a while).
From a business perspective, however, it makes perfect sense: minimal effort is invested, and the money from the companies whose cases are being adver... I mean reviewed... pays the bills.

Anyhoo, it would seem you are now a member of the exclusive club of people who express their opinions about the issue, but our words fall on deaf ears. Or should it be text falling on blind eyes on an Internet forum?
That club grows with each passing month, to be fair. When I started bitching about this in March Of 2018 it had far fewer members.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) ASUS PROART RTX 4070 Ti-Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White, MODDIY 12VHPWR Cable
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Agreed, needs thermal testing. This case has limited airflow.

Processor Intel Core i5 4590
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3
Cooling Intel Stock Cooler
Memory 8GiB(2x4GiB) DDR3-1600 [800MHz]
Video Card(s) XFX RX 560D 4GiB
Storage Transcend SSD370S 128GB; Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S20D300 20" 768p TN
Case Cooler Master MasterBox E501L
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair VS450
Mouse A4Tech N-70FX
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores BaseMark GPU : 250 Point in HD 4600
I read it as Montech Fryer instead of Flyer. :p

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Thanks for the review. However, I would consider more along the lines of an unboxing, so reviewing thermals and such would be a more advanced review. Still, its good enough.

Still, its good enough.
I beg to differ. If essential aspects of a case (one of which being critically important) are not tested, then it defeats the purpose of making said "review".
Would you consider a CPU or a graphics card review that contains no benchmarks or thermals to also be good enough? Or how about PSU reviews without any actual tests and measurements?

If you can (yourself) call a this unboxing, then it isn't a review, and if it isn't a review to begin with, then by definition it cannot be a "good enough" review.

IMO you guys should check out more of Tecware's cases. Here in SEA they're hella good cases for the price.
you're right, thanks for the recommendation! they're also selling this as the "m3", so probably same oem.

their cases aren't anything special, but they stick to tried and true structures with just enough visual differences in the panels to stand out. rest of the industry's really stagnating in designs, except for a few gems.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
ou're right, thanks for the recommendation! they're also selling this as the "m3", so probably same oem.

I'm on the Alpha M right now and for $40 this is such a steal of a case. Amazing airflow and decent expansion. Included fans are great as well that I didn't need to buy fans for it. Lots of rad space as well if you ever do decided to slap in one.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Neat little case! I like how it looks!

A case review without thermals seems rather pointless...
Welcome to TPU! It's how they do!

and the money from the companies whose cases are being adver... I mean reviewed... pays the bills.
It doesnt work that way... otherwise I agree with your sentiment.

Last edited:
System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
I beg to differ. If essential aspects of a case (one of which being critically important) are not tested, then it defeats the purpose of making said "review".
Would you consider a CPU or a graphics card review that contains no benchmarks or thermals to also be good enough? Or how about PSU reviews without any actual tests and measurements?

If you can (yourself) call a this unboxing, then it isn't a review, and if it isn't a review to begin with, then by definition it cannot be a "good enough" review.
it is good enough. I didnt call this an unboxing, I implied it was closer to being an unboxing than it is a review. You should lobby to change the name to reflect what is and what isnt in the content since you disagree with it being called a review because a few select elements you think are missing.

If you dont like the review as is, I dare you to step up and do better. Its easy to bash or complain content you get for free, its harder to be grateful. @W1zzard considers all suggestions so why not ask for "thermals" be added to reviews instead of bashing?

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Where can I buy them to have shipped to the U.S.?
Sadly I'm not sure how you can buy them over in the US as I live in SEA :( you could try reaching out to their FB page and ask there

it is good enough. I didnt call this an unboxing, I implied it was closer to being an unboxing than it is a review. You should lobby to change the name to reflect what is and what isnt in the content since you disagree with it being called a review because a few select elements you think are missing.

If you dont like the review as is, I dare you to step up and do better. Its easy to bash or complain content you get for free, its harder to be grateful. @W1zzard considers all suggestions so why not ask for "thermals" be added to reviews instead of bashing?
Did you not read the rest of the thread?

We've been asking for thermals for *years*. I've pinged Wizzard on a number of occasions. I've pinged Darksaber also. Not only do they not add thermals, they don't even bother to respond to explain why thermals are absent.

It doesnt work that way... otherwise I agree with your sentiment.
Which doesn't work in what way?
When running a website there are bills to pay. Bills are paid with money. Advertisements are a source of revenue. They can be of the more obvious kind (banners & the like) or the less obvious kind (like articles or reviews that recommend various products).
Now comes the tricky part. Recommending a product can be either shilling/advertising, or it can be genuine. What determines that is if the product was actually and properly tested. When W1zzard recommends a graphics card at the end of a review, I consider that to be a genuine and honest recommendation because the review also contains data to back up his claims. When Darksaber recommends a case, there is no data to back it up. Sometimes it is actually the contrary -- he recommends cases that we know are crap. I don't know about you, but when someone recommends a product that has been proven to be terrible, I call it advertisement.

I (and possibly others) already have suggested changing the category to "unboxing" (or something similar).
Oh, and those "few select elements" are -- as I have already stated -- very important.

First of all, "if you don't like it, do it better" is a very spurious argument. Can I use it the next time someone criticizes a company? How about Microsoft? People love to hate Microsoft. If you don't like Windows, make your own operating system.

Yes, the content is in a way free, but just like any other website that relies on some kind of advertisement and sponsorship deals, you need traffic and users. So TPU is actually dependent on us, the users.

And I would like to return your dare. Don't worry, it will require virtually no effort from you. I dare you to answer the following question with "yes" or "no": will you consider W1zzard's graphics card reviews to be "good enough" if he stopped doing benchmarks, thermals, noise and power consumption?

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
And I would like to return your dare. Don't worry, it will require virtually no effort from you. I dare you to answer the following question with "yes" or "no": will you consider W1zzard's graphics card reviews to be "good enough" if he stopped doing benchmarks, thermals, noise and power consumption?
I cant answer that, it depends on the content as a whole. I would lean to NO, but if it has what I am looking for, than yes.

Can I use it the next time
I am not your parent, use it as you see fit. :cool:

I cant answer that, it depends on the content as a whole. I would lean to NO, but if it has what I am looking for, than yes.
Well, if one is looking for a review without any benchmarks, thermals, noise and power consumption tests, then a "review" without them would be "good enough". But why would you look for a review without that information? Those tests comprise around 99% of what is important in a graphics card. By that logic, the product page on a manufacturer's website would be a "good enough review", as it contains technical specifications and photos.

The whole point of a product review on websites like TechPowerUp is to put said product to the test, to check if manufacturer's claims are accurate, to determine if a product is worth purchasing, either by itself, or compared to a different product of the same type, etc.

If the case reviews were renamed to "unboxing" or "presentation", and no rewards were no longer awarded at all, then I would be alright with it. Sure, they would still be almost worthless, but at least they wouldn't be pretending to be what they are not, misleading/lying to users in the process.

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
But why would you look for a review without that information?
because not everyone looks for the same thing in an item review. Same goes with what you view as important, i disagree, its pertinent but not important enough for someone who has knowledge of 'thermals'.
If the case reviews were renamed to "unboxing" or "presentation", and no rewards were no longer awarded at all, then I would be alright with it.
And... lets go round and round go back to what I already said.

Sure, they would still be almost worthless, but at least they wouldn't be pretending to be what they are not, misleading/lying to users in the process.
i dont see any pretending here or lying, the only thing wrong here is you complaining its not a complete review and continuing an argument over it.

because not everyone looks for the same thing in an item review. Same goes with what you view as important, i disagree, its pertinent but not important enough for someone who has knowledge of 'thermals'.
If you don't need actual measurements or tests, then you don't need a review. I don't need Darksaber (or any other reviewer) to tell me the dimensions of the case, or how many 3.5" drive bays it has, or what and how many fan mounts it has, etc. That information is already available on the manufacturer's website, along with some photos. Why would I look for a review, if the all of the important information in it would be what is already on the manufacturer's website? The review has to provide information I don't already know.

i dont see any pretending here or lying, the only thing wrong here is you complaining its not a complete review and continuing an argument over it.
Are you being intentionally dense?

How about this review.
That case received "innovation" and "highly recommended" rewards, and yet has terrible cooling performance, which could very realistically lead to the graphics card throttling and the player losing FPS. An inexperienced user, seeing the above mentioned awards, can very easily be mislead into thinking this is a great case, purchase it, and end up having worse performance than he would have, had he purchased a decent case.

And I keep arguing because it is an important issue. TechPowerUp is respected and has a good reach, and thus, I would assume, should also have the responsibility to not lie/mislead its readers.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Which doesn't work in what way?
When running a website there are bills to pay. Bills are paid with money. Advertisements are a source of revenue. They can be of the more obvious kind (banners & the like) or the less obvious kind (like articles or reviews that recommend various products).
As in, a company doesn't typically pay websites for reviews. The products are given to them free for review or sometimes they are purchased and reviewed. But the vast majority of reviews from TPU and other major sites are not paid reviews. And regardless if the product is recommended or not, the site gets the same amount per hit. So I dont get what you are really saying here.

As in, a company doesn't typically pay websites for reviews. The products are given to them free for review or sometimes they are purchased and reviewed. But the vast majority of reviews from TPU and other major sites are not paid reviews. And regardless if the product is recommended or not, the site gets the same amount per hit. So I dont get what you are really saying here.
Yes, that is what I also know: reviews are not paid. At least in general.
However, when a reviewer (highly) recommends products that perform poorly (and should actually be avoided), my only conclusion is that said reviewer has been paid to say that.