• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Millitronic HIVE Wireless Docking Kit

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Wireless AD networks came and went without as much as a buzz in the consumer space, and yet there is more here to see before completely dismissing it. Millitronic certainly agrees, with their HIVE wireless docking station able to connect a laptop to an external display wirelessly at low latency, while adding some more tricks on top.

Show full review

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
What's with the "speaker" grills? It's the one part I don't get with this product, as it seems to serve no function.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
What's with the "speaker" grills? It's the one part I don't get with this product, as it seems to serve no function.

Ventilation, at least on the transmitter.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ventilation, at least on the transmitter.
Right, but it seems like a rather fugly design choice if it's only for that.
Then again, there are a lot of fugly housings out there...

• Haha
Reactions: VSG
System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
I have some questions about how using DisplayLink may impact the picture quality of the HDMI output. As far as I know, DisplayLink is not truly loseless, and though 2 Gbps is quite high, HDMI needs at least 3.2 Gbps (actual) for 1080p60 uncompressed. I'm curious if it's possible to get some comparisons of game image quality over the link, or some comment on how the stream degrades, whether it's typical compression artifacts, or downscaling the resolution, or lowering the refresh rate. I would assume that artifacting slightly would be preferable to jitters in the delivered frames.

I'm also curious about stream priority for the USB 3.0 port or Ethernet port being used in concert with the HDMI output. Is there a situation where a file transfer would be faster if your screen is mostly static versus full video? Could a large file transfer end up impacting video quality, or transfer speed? I would assume that a fixed bandwidth mix would be most reliable, but it would have to scale gracefully with lower throughput as you put more distance between the dock and the dongle.

I could see something like this being used for a Nintendo Switch successor. If you could keep the console in your hand and have it display an image on a TV from a dock, you'd essentially have the Wii U without the downsides. I'm not too convinced that relying on USB to pass a video signal is the right approach, but it's hard to beat having one connection doing all of the heavy lifting. I assume that the 802.11ad link is the bottleneck so going to Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.2 Gen 2 would not improve the concerns I have about bandwidth contention.

Millitronic

Millitronic Rep

Hi,

The speaker grills in the front are radio booster for 60GHz signals, without it, the working distance will be cut in half.

Thank you
Millitronic service team

I have some questions about how using DisplayLink may impact the picture quality of the HDMI output. As far as I know, DisplayLink is not truly loseless, and though 2 Gbps is quite high, HDMI needs at least 3.2 Gbps (actual) for 1080p60 uncompressed. I'm curious if it's possible to get some comparisons of game image quality over the link, or some comment on how the stream degrades, whether it's typical compression artifacts, or downscaling the resolution, or lowering the refresh rate. I would assume that artifacting slightly would be preferable to jitters in the delivered frames.

I'm also curious about stream priority for the USB 3.0 port or Ethernet port being used in concert with the HDMI output. Could a large file transfer end up impacting video quality, or transfer speed? I would assume that a fixed bandwidth mix would be most reliable, but it would have to scale gracefully with lower throughput as you put more distance between the dock and the dongle.

I could see something like this being used for a Nintendo Switch successor. If you could keep the console in your hand and have it display an image on a TV from a dock, you'd essentially have the Wii U without the downsides. I'm not too convinced that relying on USB to pass a video signal is the right approach, but it's hard to beat having one connection doing all of the heavy lifting. I assume that the 802.11ad link is the bottleneck so going to Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.2 Gen 2 would not improve the concerns I have about bandwidth contention.

Hi,

DisplayLink has different models of USB graphic cards, according to the image quality they require different throughput
In order to provide the best user experience, DisplayLink dynamic software encode / hardware decode will adjust image quality accordingly.

Is there a situation where a file transfer would be faster if your screen is mostly static versus full video?
Ans: yes, faster when the screen mostly static.

Could a large file transfer end up impacting video quality, or transfer speed?
Ans: the priority is video quality

Thank you for your valuable opinion
Millitronic service team

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for joining TPU and commenting here :)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi,

The speaker grills in the front are radio booster for 60GHz signals, without it, the working distance will be cut in half.

Thank you
Millitronic service team
Right, at least it has a functional reason then, as it looks really odd from a design perspective.