• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel i5 9300H with 100° even with undervolting (throttlestop)

Otávio Melo

First, sorry for my bad english, im brazilian. well i buy a G3 3590 U20P, i install the windows and everything was fine so i decided to download the new Cod:warzone and the temperatures of cpu.. wel... they stay almost all the time on 100° i already undervolted my cpu (i5 9300H) and i still get higher temperatures and throttling when i play or make a stress test. while im using just the chrome the cpu stays on 70°. Any help? i cant write well but understand almost everything so any help means a lot for me. my TS config:
1585455959542.png
1585455998964.png

In case of any more information is needed i will update as fast as possible!

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Intel has decided to disable under volting. Dell has recently started adding this microcode update to their laptops so no more under volting. Look at the monitoring table in the top right hand corner of the FIVR window. That data shows the state of your CPU. The Offset column shows the offset voltages that your CPU is using.

None of your offset voltages are being applied. They have been blocked by Intel / Dell.

The only option is to try going back to the previous BIOS version. After you do this, go into the BIOS and select the Reset to default settings option.

The cooling solution that Dell is using is somewhere between barely adequate and inadequate. I think it is poor design when you cannot use your laptop at its rated speed without it constantly bouncing off the 100°C thermal throttling temperature.

Otávio Melo

but i used it at 80/90° (one or two week ago) maybe is something that i can do? now any stress on CPU make the temperature goes on 100°, any stress make it throttle, any sugestion? or the only solution is downgrade the bios?
the only thing that is making me think so much is because is a new brand pc with 2 months of use only and i used to run with normal temperatures.

unclewebb

but i used it at 80/90° (one or two week ago)
Yes, 1 or 2 weeks ago everything was fine. The update was just recently released by Dell. Do some Google research and you will find that people all over the world are starting to notice the problems that this update is creating.

the only solution is downgrade the bios?
Correct. That is the only possible solution and this might not work on your laptop. Find a forum specific to your laptop model.

Otávio Melo

i try to downgrade the bios and it give Failed ME update, and i try the lasts 2 versions, well, i dont know what to do anymore so thanks for your time!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Oh wow can I just say... that is some screwed up business (trying to avoid a stronger version of that wording :D)...

Unless you manually updated a BIOS or took some other action, I suspect the culprit here is Windows Update's guerilla installs and installation of hardware updates / drivers. It's getting harder and harder but you can still block the installation of hardware / drivers / updates.

Otávio Melo

Unless you manually updated a BIOS or took some other action, I suspect the culprit here is Windows Update's guerilla installs and installation of hardware updates / drivers. It's getting harder and harder but you can still block the installation of hardware / drivers / updates.
What exactly can i do? i mean, i downloaded the olders bios versions from the dell site and they are all exe. so i just need to double click them and follow the instructions, aparently dell make it more easy, but no matter version i install i cant undervolt or change the turbo ratio limits. jesus if i could just change this turbo ratio... all overheating problem probably would go way

if you guys have any tip for lower the cpu temperature please let me know, im on true suffering here kkk

Guys i downgraded the bios and restore on bios for the factory version with this i now can undervolt and change turbo ratio settings, thank you guys! thank ou so much!!

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Glad it worked out! Make sure you block those automatic updates or this will happen again...

If it's new, send it back. Your temperatures are way too high. Maybe there's an assembly problem or you got a bad fan.

If it's used, get it cleaned etc.

Oher than that, you should not be afraid of temperatures between 70 and 90*C. It's fine.

I read your comments, how you'll now try to downgrade the BIOS and so on, but you're not entierly sure how it all works. I'm affraid your next thread will be about a laptop that doesn't work at all.

It's an OEM-made device. You paid them to choose the cooling and put it together. Stop messing around.
Oh wow can I just say... that is some screwed up business
Because they limit how users can interfere with default configuration? That's absolute fine and welcome.

unclewebb

Unless you manually updated a BIOS or took some other action, I suspect the culprit here is Windows Update's guerrilla installs
It is a BIOS / firmware update that comes to your computer complements of Windows Update. I use Sledgehammer to try and keep a close eye on Windows Update.

As @Otávio Melo found out, not only does this update block CPU voltage control but it also blocks turbo ratio limit adjustments. Anyone with a hot running laptop is doubly screwed.

you should not be afraid of temperatures between 70 and 90°C.
That is correct. Those temperatures are fine and within the Intel spec. The problem is that without under volting, his screenshot shows that each and every one of his CPU cores were hitting the 100°C thermal throttling limit. Intel specifically recommends that manufacturers should include adequate cooling in their designs. Thermal throttling is not supposed to be used as a crutch to cover up bad design choices on Dell's part.

That is correct. Those temperatures are fine and within the Intel spec. The problem is that without under volting, his screenshot shows that each and every one of his CPU cores were hitting the 100°C thermal throttling limit. Intel specifically recommends that manufacturers should include adequate cooling in their designs. Thermal throttling is not supposed to be used as a crutch to cover up bad design choices on Dell's part.
And that laptop is known for fairly average cooling. But what happens in OP's case is way worse that what reviewers and other users observed. So the most probable cause is a problem with that particular laptop.
It could be an assembly problem, it could be clogged vent or bad fan.
Or maybe OP has already messed with fan profile?

Undervolting should not be the first solution that comes in mind. More likely the last one.
Also, in a DIY setup, when you consciously use a sub-par cooling (because of noise or form factor or whatever), undervolting could be a practical solution (albeit risky at best).

In an OEM device there should be absolutely no reason to change the voltage that the OEM set.

BikeHelmet

When I saw the 100C, I wondered... could it be a Dell?

G3 3590 U20P - Yep, a Dell.

If it's new, send it back. Your temperatures are way too high. Maybe there's an assembly problem or you got a bad fan.

Dell has produced many laptops in the past 3 years that have stock temperatures in the 60-85C range just with Chrome running. I set a few up a couple months back and told the person buying them that the model had wholly inadequate cooling and they should consider returning them, because they won't last long. They kept them...

Dell aims very conservative (AKA High) on voltages going to the CPU, which doesn't help the matter. Often other manufacturers are 80 to 120mv lower than Dell... that is a HUGE difference when you also add in more meagre cooling solutions.

These BIOS/microcode updates are going to cook so many computers, it's not funny. Poorly thought out rollout. They should still offer some voltage buckets that work. (-40mv, -80mv, -120mv, etc. - the odds of the exploit landing on exactly one of those is pretty low.)

Review models are usually specially prepared and may not represent the actual performance attained. My own setups of recent Dell laptops have left me uninterested in the brand due to glaring problems like this.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Because they limit how users can interfere with default configuration? That's absolute fine and welcome.

Of course its not, compared to just providing a default config where advanced users can make tweaks to improve their experience. Welcome it certainly is not. Nobody likes locks without keys. In the end its a product you own, not one Dell owns, nor did you sign a contract with Dell to somehow do management for you. So, they really shouldn't and the product should work as it did on day one. If it had undervolt capability, it should keep access to it.

Its not like you flip a switch and poof undervolt, normal users will never know it existed.

Acapovilla

What exactly can i do? i mean, i downloaded the olders bios versions from the dell site and they are all exe. so i just need to double click them and follow the instructions, aparently dell make it more easy, but no matter version i install i cant undervolt or change the turbo ratio limits. jesus if i could just change this turbo ratio... all overheating problem probably would go way

if you guys have any tip for lower the cpu temperature please let me know, im on true suffering here kkk

Guys i downgraded the bios and restore on bios for the factory version with this i now can undervolt and change turbo ratio settings, thank you guys! thank ou so much!!

Good to know you could downgrade the BIOS. Also if you have a lot of heat try setting the Turbo Boost Long Power Max and Turbo Boost Short Power Max a bit lower than 90. I don't think you can get 90W straight to you processor. Do a TS bench and see what's the max W consumption you have. Set you long power max to that around that number.