• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible NVIDIA RTX 3000 Rollout Schedule Detailed - RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 After September

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Early adopter tax is always going to hurt.

Smartest is to wait for RDNA2 to launch before buying: best case it forces NVIDIA to drop their prices, worst case you have a slightly lower performance, but lower-priced alternative to drop your hard-earned cash on. There will also be a lot of second-hand Turings and Navis popping up which might be a better option, depending on how much of a performance boost the new gen does (or doesn't) give.
We've said the same thing about RDNA: just wait for it, it must bring Turing prices back in check. Boy, were we wrong...

But yeah, wait for both launches, the advice is sound. What happened with Turing is not the norm.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
We've said the same thing about RDNA: just wait for it, it must bring Turing prices back in check. Boy, were we wrong...

But yeah, wait for both launches, the advice is sound. What happened with Turing is not the norm.

Navi did have an impact on Turing prices with the RTX 2060/RX 5600 XT launch, because it can compete there. All we need is RDNA2 to compete in the high-end...

I agree you should generally wait after a launch. But my curiosity is what are the launch prices for both RTX and RDNA2 since the Wu-Flu thing, economic issues in most countries, an up tick of mining and the next-gen consoles coming out complicate matters.

Also i would like to play Cyberpunk 2077 on a new GPU by Christmas :)

I'd rather say everyone's winning with the way Nvidia pushes performance every time.
Yeah, I don’t really feel like I’m winning here....:) Nvidia yes. Consumers no.

While I get your point, isn’t that is how technology is supposed to work? More efficient processes, better performance, lower prices. What Nvidia has been doing lately is simply raising their sku rank each gen so it appears you are getting an even better product, but for more money. (They are not the only company doing this). Great illustration is the rtx3090 (if it comes out) will essentially be the 2080ti (in the 3000 series) but now it has a higher product number so it wouldn’t make sense to charge the same amount as a 2080ti. This can be see through their entire line and is basically marketing 101. Leather jackets ain’t cheap ya know... this will continue until they have some serious competition.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506

While I get your point, isn’t that is how technology is supposed to work? More efficient processes, better performance, lower prices. What Nvidia has been doing lately is simply raising their sku rank each gen so it appears you are getting an even better product, but for more money. (They are not the only company doing this). Great illustration is the rtx3090 (if it comes out) will essentially be the 2080ti (in the 3000 series) but now it has a higher product number so it wouldn’t make sense to charge the same amount as a 2080ti. This can be see through their entire line and is basically marketing 101. Leather jackets ain’t cheap ya know... this will continue until they have some serious competition.
Hopefully it's on the way , forgetting the obvious there are a few possible competitor's ,they will affect pricing.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Compare it to Kepler. Not only was there competition, we were also content with 2GB cards from the x60 on up all the way to a GTX690 (!! Hi!) that still had 2GB per chip. That was a 1000 dollar card. Progress yes, but now Pascal: up to 11GB and down to 3!!!GB on an x60. With 1080ti commanding an MSRP of 700 bucks.

That is the point. You get a shitload more GPU for your money. Its only logical the price reflects that. The alternative to that strategy is spoon feeding 5% improvements, a bit like Intel was doing since Sandy Bridge. And were those cheap??? Exactly. Id much rather pay for leather jackets.

In other words, the rumor suggest that they wil;l do basicaclly the dame thing they do every launch. The amazing this is that, outside of of 25% tariffs, shortages and artificial pricing to force the empying of last generation inventories, the cost of the *80 level seies card has remained relatively constant since the year 2000. Hot Hardware had a nice graphic showing this that is no longer accessible since they revamped the site ... wish I had saved the graphic, bit it showd proces of the top card averaging 700 ... all prices were adjusted for inflation and presented in 2017 dollars.

Take that $700 and add 25% China tariff in US .... and you are at $875 for the $2080 ... popular AIB cards are running $725 to $950. The tariff was to boost even higher but the bump was temporarily suspended . However, last I heard, that reprieve was scheduled to expire tomorrow (August 07, 2020). Considering that MoBos and pretty much everything else is up and exacerbated by pandemic related costs and supply difficulties, I don't see a justification for the whinerbagging. Sure, when the 2xxx cards 1st came out card, prices were insane ... nvidia did it to clear the shelves and warehoses of 10xx series cards, but it was the folks who had to be the 1st one on the block that had that price up the for so long ... nvidia was selling them as fast as they could make them, shortages were common. We've never recommended buying GFX cards for at last 3 months after they come out.

Wait a bit and a) you'll spend less, b) you don't have tpo deal w/ imature drivers, c) you don't have to deal with the bad designs (AMD 6 pin 480, EVGA inadequately cooled VRMs on 1xxx series as well as 970 SC GPU misaligned missing 1/3 of the heat sink and MSI super adhesive tale holding the fans in place during shipping, d) you get 2nd and 3rd stepping hardware, free of the bugaboos from 1st steppings and often tweaked performance. How much should companies charge for their products ? ... by law, as much as they can. Directors have a financial / legal obligation to maximize stockholder value.

In other words, the rumor suggest that they wil;l do basicaclly the dame thing they do every launch. The amazing this is that, outside of of 25% tariffs, shortages and artificial pricing to force the empying of last generation inventories, the cost of the *80 level seies card has remained relatively constant since the year 2000. Hot Hardware had a nice graphic showing this that is no longer accessible since they revamped the site ... wish I had saved the graphic, bit it showd proces of the top card averaging 700 ... all prices were adjusted for inflation and presented in 2017 dollars.

Take that $700 and add 25% China tariff in US .... and you are at $875 for the $2080 ... popular AIB cards are running $725 to $950. The tariff was to boost even higher but the bump was temporarily suspended . However, last I heard, that reprieve was scheduled to expire tomorrow (August 07, 2020). Considering that MoBos and pretty much everything else is up and exacerbated by pandemic related costs and supply difficulties, I don't see a justification for the whinerbagging. Sure, when the 2xxx cards 1st came out card, prices were insane ... nvidia did it to clear the shelves and warehoses of 10xx series cards, but it was the folks who had to be the 1st one on the block that had that price up the for so long ... nvidia was selling them as fast as they could make them, shortages were common. We've never recommended buying GFX cards for at last 3 months after they come out.

Wait a bit and a) you'll spend less, b) you don't have tpo deal w/ imature drivers, c) you don't have to deal with the bad designs (AMD 6 pin 480, EVGA inadequately cooled VRMs on 1xxx series as well as 970 SC GPU misaligned missing 1/3 of the heat sink and MSI super adhesive tale holding the fans in place during shipping, d) you get 2nd and 3rd stepping hardware, free of the bugaboos from 1st steppings and often tweaked performance. How much should companies charge for their products ? ... by law, as much as they can. Directors have a financial / legal obligation to maximize stockholder value.

Alot of good points... I found the graphic you mentioned (reposted on hexus). I'll admit i wasn't aware they had cards that expensive going back to 2000. The one problem with your argument however is they've sucked you into the exact ploy I mentioned. The 2080 isn't their top tier card, for that you need to jump up to the 2080ti, around $1300 which is well out of the $700 range (even with tariffs/pandemic and all the other stuff going on.)

Last edited: