• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller Receives 56% Battery Capacity Boost over DualShock 4

The DualShock 4 pales in comparison to the Xbox One Controller with a capacity of 4200mAh from its 2 AA batteries.
Not even close to comparable. AA batteries are 1.2-1.5V. Compare using Watt-hours instead of Amp-hours when the batteries use different voltages.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
There are aftermarket replacements that have upto 2500mah, but using them voids the warranty(not really a problem after 90days). I have done this to all four of my DS4 controllers and the replacements fit right in. The original batteries started having problems just after the first year of use. The replacements are still going strong after 3 years of use.
Is there a particular brand of replacement you would recommend? Or will I be pretty safe with just about anything (as long as it meets spec of course)?

Is there a particular brand of replacement you would recommend? Or will I be pretty safe with just about anything (as long as it meets spec of course)?
There are several variants of DS4 controller, you need to select the replacement battery that is appropriate for the controller you have. These are 2200mah units, which is different from the ones I bought a few years ago, but it's the same company and the difference isn't huge.

I'd be very careful with these batteries. The vast majority, as in the good ones being actually really hard to find and expensive, are poorly made knockoffs which are know to be performing badly after a while or being even dangerous.

I'd be very careful with these batteries. The vast majority, as in the good ones being actually really hard to find and expensive
Mine are 3+ years old and have lasted longer than the original Sony batteries. Also reviews are solid as is the company reputation... But hey what do I know...

I prefer corded controllers as well. Not a common choice anymore though...
after two threads of noise, you want wired? then play wired.. PS controllers will continue to work in game over usb

i dont know what it's like for xbox, i just cant stand its asymmetric stick positions, but if it's only AA then that's not the best it could be, especially if it doesnt give an early charge warning on screen like PS does

the correct answer would be a lithium controller that's swappable like phones used to be, optionally wired chargeable while playing, so there would be no need for disposing often or a special external charger

this is optional entertainment with known quirks & workarounds, i dont get why so many people in these threads turn into hysterical crusaders (not you specifically, though it's a good thing i waited a few days before replying, har har)