• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VAXEE ZYGEN NP-01

pzogel

Reviewer
The NP-01 is the first mouse release by VAXEE, which was founded by several former Zowie employees. Still true to the no-frills approach, the right-handed ergonomic NP-01 focuses on performance over software or RGB lighting. To that end, it is equipped with PixArt's PMW3389 sensor and Huano switches for the main buttons, and capable of extensive on-device configuration.

Show full review

Button

thx ...
was hoping for a much better scrollwheel as Zowie had, thats a part they may never will learn ... or maybe they prefer it ...

System Name Vedica
Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte AORUS Ultra Z390
Cooling Alphacool Eisblock XPX
Memory 32GB DDR4, 4x Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D30AESBK
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3080
Storage 2x Sabrent 1 TB Rocket - 1x Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004
Display(s) Dell AW3423DWF
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Audio Device(s) Motu M2
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse Cooler Master MM720
Keyboard Wooting One
Ok, an average mouse at premium price.

Processor I7 4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97 Pro
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Corsair Platinum 16GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage PNY SSD 960 x2
Display(s) ASUS 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 450D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Glorious Model O w/DreamCables paracord
Keyboard Ducky Sine 5 YOTG
Software Win 10 Pro
Personally Not my cup of tea.

Too new of a company and it dosent mean they will be better than Zowie.

IMO So far it lacks luster. Avg at best, no software, no RGB and I pay as much. Glad I held off.

Looking at you next Roccat Burst.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Too expensive, and looks like an ugly brother of an FK1 in many ways. The fact side buttons are still shit speaks volumes.

Note, the FK1 wasn't stellar already for a 'simple mouse'. But it was cheaper.

Not with a 10 foot pole, easy commercial cash grab attempt feeding on old success. Strange how this review tries to sell this POS with numerous meh aspects.

pzogel

Reviewer
Too expensive, and looks like an ugly brother of an FK1 in many ways. The fact side buttons are still shit speaks volumes.

Note, the FK1 wasn't stellar already for a 'simple mouse'. But it was cheaper.

Not with a 10 foot pole, easy commercial cash grab attempt feeding on old success. Strange how this review tries to sell this POS with numerous meh aspects.
Not sure which FK1 release you're referring to, but most FK1s retailed for $59.99, so exactly the same. Historically, other Zowie mice have been priced even higher: S Series for $69.99, and the FK Divina Series for $79.99. The NP-01 is priced quite fairly overall.

Have you had first-hand experience with the NP-01? Side buttons on my copy are great, as decribed and demonstrated in the review.

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Not sure which FK1 release you're referring to, but most FK1s retailed for $59.99, so exactly the same. Historically, other Zowie mice have been priced even higher: S Series for $69.99, and the FK Divina Series for $79.99. The NP-01 is priced quite fairly overall.

Have you had first-hand experience with the NP-01? Side buttons on my copy are great, as decribed and demonstrated in the review.

Really? I bought mine for 39,99 EUR. Maybe at the time the dollar was just quite low, or something and its turned around since then.

But 60 for a simple mouse like this... myeah, I'll pass. Its high up the ladder I think.

Regardless, I was unpleasantly surprised by Zowie's FK1. Might be unlucky... but its not the first 'gamur' mouse that fails rather quickly, unlike the Logitechs that didn't have a similar sticker I owned before - and came at even lower prices. Side buttons look like a straight copy on the NP-01, but maybe my mind is foggy and internals might be different... still. Im not seeing the difference, or the innovation, or anything that makes this worth its special existence tbh.

It looks as though generally the standards for gaming related peripherals aren't very high, or certain features are given too much credit while very basic stuff is overlooked. Longevity/durability is a big one that seems awfully lacking in most gamer gear. Switches for example... we hear of rated number of clicks... but practical experience? Those millions of clicks lead to a lifetime of what, two-three years? Before unwanted doubleclicks occur... or some bit of plastic is bent somewhere... or a coating has started going sticky or peeled... you name it.

thx ...
was hoping for a much better scrollwheel as Zowie had, thats a part they may never will learn ... or maybe they prefer it ...

Yeah that scroll wheel, its horrible. I suppose they want it like that, it can't be unintentionally that stiff.

Last edited:

pzogel

Reviewer
It looks as though generally the standards for gaming related peripherals aren't very high, or certain features are given too much credit while very basic stuff is overlooked. Longevity/durability is a big one that seems awfully lacking in most gamer gear. Switches for example... we hear of rated number of clicks... but practical experience? Those millions of clicks lead to a lifetime of what, two-three years? Before unwanted doubleclicks occur... or some bit of plastic is bent somewhere... or a coating has started going sticky or peeled... you name it.
Durability isn't necessarily overlooked, it's just something that cannot be properly tested in a week. I can note when something feels cheap or poorly built, but beyond that it's very difficult to tell how something will hold up, especially when sample variance is taken into account as well. My unit may be fine, but a retail unit could be faulty, or vice versa. There's also the fact that in theory, click latency and switch longevity often are inversely correlated, i.e., the lower the debounce delay, the sooner double clicks emerge. This coupled with switch variation and non-spec operating voltages can result in 50M rated switches failing earlier than 20M ones.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit
VAXEE ZYGEN NP-01
This sounds more like an inoculation than a mouse. o_O

System Name AMDream v2.6.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D+TechN AM4, CO-30 all cores
Motherboard Asus Prime B550-Plus w. PCIe USB 3.0/3.1 case connectors card
Cooling 2x240 slim rads, 1x420mm slim rad, 4xEK Vardar Evo RGB, stock case fans
Memory 2x8GB RGB+2x8GB non-RGB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Reference+Alphacool waterblock+Kryosheet
Storage 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41+Eluteng NVMe heatsink
Display(s) Xiaomi Mi 2k Gaming Monitor 27” (1440p165 IPS)+VESA arm
Case Lian Li Lancool III White ARGB
Audio Device(s) Creative Inspire P380
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Steelseries Rival original (white), Steelseries Qck+ mousepad
Keyboard Keychron K5 (white backlight, blue Gateron Low Profile switches)
Software Windows 11 Pro
Those flex cable connectors are LIF (low insertion force), just pull the flex cables from their socket, and push them for installing them. I don’t like those connectors, because with many insert/remove cycle they tend to either wear the conductive paint that‘s used to create a flex cable, or they tend to separate the thin metal stripes of the flex cables.

pzogel

Reviewer
Those flex cable connectors are LIF (low insertion force), just pull the flex cables from their socket, and push them for installing them. I don’t like those connectors, because with many insert/remove cycle they tend to either wear the conductive paint that‘s used to create a flex cable, or they tend to separate the thin metal stripes of the flex cables.
I figured it would be something like this, but didn't want to take any risks since I wanted to try the mouse with 0.6 mm feet afterwards. Thanks for the comment.

Niloy

I figured it would be something like this, but didn't want to take any risks since I wanted to try the mouse with 0.6 mm feet afterwards. Thanks for the comment.
Can you please share your experience with the 0.60 mm feet? How much is the CPI deviancy for 400dpi using the 0.60mm? Any problems in LOD? What do you recommend the 0.40mm or 0.60 mm?

pzogel

Reviewer
Can you please share your experience with the 0.60 mm feet? How much is the CPI deviancy for 400dpi using the 0.60mm? Any problems in LOD? What do you recommend the 0.40mm or 0.60 mm?
Just to be sure, I wasn't using the official 0.6 mm feet, just some generic OEM 0.6 mm skates (IME shape). Didn't get any scratching with those and CPI deviation was reduced to ~405. No problems with LOD, didn't even have to increase it. Overall, though I can't comment on the official 0.6 mm feet, I'd definitely recommend going with 0.6 mm feet in general.