• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla Benchmark Test & Performance Analysis

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i9-9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax ETS-T50 Black CPU cooler
Memory 32GB (2x16) Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 (OS); 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 2TB MX500; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I wrote about this aspect in What Are You Playing, but feel it bears noting here on the benchmark thread.

The fog is exceptional in this game. It shifts and moves in increasing and decreasing volumes with uncanny realism. I’ve lived and travelled in multiple places around the world. Other than some of the fog in the UK, the fog during winter down here in the vicinity of New Orleans is some of the worst I have seen.

22 years of commuting in it has me very familiar with its almost living properties. The way it moves and shifts shadows and visuals is replicated perfectly in the swampy waterways in the game in East Anglia and vicinity.

Reactions: bug
System Name Computer
Processor Intel Core i9-9900kf
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling MSI MPG Coreliquid K360
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4070 DUAL OC
Storage A Bunch of Sata SSD and some HD for storage
Display(s) Asus MG278q (main screen)
Yes, got myself a month of U+ and been going through WD:L first and now AC:V. I love AC more than WD by far but there's some obvious areas where WD is much much more advanced than AC which is struggling very much particularly with far off LODs (in fact, still well below standards established at the beginning of this gen with The Witcher 3), to not name the obvious RTX bonuses, or how much better the shadow system is and close to HFTS in WD:L compared to how basic it is for AC:V. And on and on, hell even the HDR seems a bit more borked in AC than WD, even though in Odyssey & Origins it was an absolute delight.
I have finished WD:L and i'm 40h into Valhalla already, i still find valhalla a lot better visually than Legion even with the LOD issue and without RT. While the "rendering technology" itself may be evaluated objectively, i have to agree with @W1zzard that the end result also depend on the work of the designers and the atmosphere they created.

Processor i5-14600KF
Motherboard GA-H610M-H-DDR4
Cooling NH-D15S
Memory F4-3200C16D-16GIS
Video Card(s) Palit 4060Ti 16GB
Display(s) VG249Q
Can you add graphs with 1% and 0,1% fps/frametimes?
This could actually be of interest here, although I would say it would be more of a CPU/RAM comparison than GPU comparison. Possibly because of how CPU-heavy the engine is.
Although it's not directly related to GPUs; I've been surprised at the latency improvement by a 20% CPU overclock, and tightened RAM timings. Doing so did nothing for my average fps, but gave me a +10fps to my "FPS min" and a CPU max time drop from 50ms to 33ms. Attached a couple screenshots.

Attachments

• initial.png
    initial.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 196
  • overclock.png
    overclock.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 228
This could actually be of interest here, although I would say it would be more of a CPU/RAM comparison than GPU comparison. Possibly because of how CPU-heavy the engine is.
Although it's not directly related to GPUs; I've been surprised at the latency improvement by a 20% CPU overclock, and tightened RAM timings. Doing so did nothing for my average fps, but gave me a +10fps to my "FPS min" and a CPU max time drop from 50ms to 33ms. Attached a couple screenshots.

How can you play with such frametime spikes? That looks very bad. Either the engine is the problem, or your CPU is running on its last legs. 50ms and more is horrible, 33 ms is not that bad, but considering that you get 75 fps its still noticeable. Probably a time to get that sweet 10700k with 8/16 cores/threads and futureproof yourself for next gen consoles released recently.

System Name Computer
Processor Intel Core i9-9900kf
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling MSI MPG Coreliquid K360
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL16-19-19-39
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 4070 DUAL OC
Storage A Bunch of Sata SSD and some HD for storage
Display(s) Asus MG278q (main screen)
How can you play with such frametime spikes? That looks very bad. Either the engine is the problem, or your CPU is running on its last legs. 50ms and more is horrible, 33 ms is not that bad, but considering that you get 75 fps its still noticeable. Probably a time to get that sweet 10700k with 8/16 cores/threads and futureproof yourself for next gen consoles released recently.
It's an issue with the benchmark that basically never happen while playing ig.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Game runs a bit better for me since patch 1.0.4
Anyone else noticed, or it's just me?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@rtwjunkie

or anyone else

To enjoy the story of Valhalla do you need to play the other games? I have only played and beat 3 AC games, 1, 2, and 3. Never got around to 4 or any of the other spin offs, but I intend to. Should I go with 4 for now? do it all chronologically for release date? or is it cool to jump around after the first 3 games if you get the basic premise?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Processor Core i9-9900k
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax ETS-T50 Black CPU cooler
Memory 32GB (2x16) Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 4070 Ti Super OC 16GB
Storage 1x 1TB MX500 (OS); 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 2TB MX500; 1x 1TB BX500 SSD; 1x 6TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) Infievo 27" 165Hz @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-1000 Gold
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@rtwjunkie

or anyone else

To enjoy the story of Valhalla do you need to play the other games? I have only played and beat 3 AC games, 1, 2, and 3. Never got around to 4 or any of the other spin offs, but I intend to. Should I go with 4 for now? do it all chronologically for release date? or is it cool to jump around after the first 3 games if you get the basic premise?
If you know the basic premise and the older lore you are good to go. You could go straight to Valhalla. You may not understand the real world protagonists (the same as Odyssee and Origins) since they did a lot of background lore in those plus in the games that explains much.

However, I am confident that you can jump right into Valhalla if you want and be pretty ok. In any case, it’s a great historical era simulator that is pretty fun, even if some things like the size of chirches and some of the Saxon armors are ahistorical, if that’s all you want.

Hope that helps.