• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

The Ryzen 7 5800X has a way to high powertarget (great results with powerlimit tweaks)

• Thread starter Deleted member 193596
  • Start date
Processor AMD 5800X @ 4.95GHz PBO
Motherboard MSI X570 Unify AGESA 1.2.0.1
Cooling Phanteks 280mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Neo 32GB 3600 16-19-19-39 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3090 TUF Gaming OC
Storage Sabrent 2TB Rocket 4 Plus, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME SSD
Display(s) Alienware DW3418 34" Ultrawide IPS G-Sync 120Hz
Case Phanteks P600s
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro Build 19042
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z v1.95 - Single: 677 Multi: 6977 Cinebench R20 - Single: 638 Multi: 6154
These two do the same thing. You can select one or the other. Ryzen doesn't need you to set voltages, it can demand it from the motherboard itself. Try to keep one and forego the other. It misses the point if you reduce 15mV and add 125 somewhere else. It only reduces base voltage and that is without the incrementally static 125 offset anyway.
We dearly miss the Stilt making things clearcut.
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried it and set CPU LLC back to AUTO setting. I did not pass my usual GTA 5 game stress test and crashed to desktop within about 30 min. So to me this should disprove PBO Scalar provides the proper voltage stability needed to replace my current setting with CPU LLC at level 3.

I was only able to reach -15 stable with the CPU with both the motherboard .125 offset and CPU LLC at level 3. Without these two, I'm back at -12 to maintain stability. Again, my theory is the -15 should allowing the CPU's algorithm to boost to max clocks more often and consistently with all cores to 5Ghz during normal or heavy use which is what I'm seeing in just by browsing the web with Chrome and a few office apps running.

These two do the same thing. You can select one or the other. Ryzen doesn't need you to set voltages, it can demand it from the motherboard itself. Try to keep one and forego the other. It misses the point if you reduce 15mV and add 125 somewhere else. It only reduces base voltage and that is without the incrementally static 125 offset anyway.
We dearly miss the Stilt making things clearcut.

My understanding of PBO scaler is that it raises either the time for which the cpu will request max voltage (allowing maximum frequency), or it raises the maximum voltage itself, allowing it to sustain a higher boost clock at a given temperature. As temperature increases, the allowable voltage decreases. As requested voltage decreases, clock speed decreases. Increasing this value is effectively a way to oc the cpu, with the cost being possible reduced lifespan of the cpu.

This has a slightly different effect to LLC, which alters the voltage drop between the requested (set) level and that actually seen by the cpu. Increasing LLC will not alter boost clocks directly, but since increasing LLC will increase actual voltage at the cpu core, it will increase heat, which will the result in the cpu lowering it's max voltage band then lower the clock to match. Increasing LLC can help with stability, but also possibly at the cost of some cpu life and setting to a high level can result in voltage overshoots. Generally it is better to have this at a medium to low setting and increase stability by increasing the set (or requested) voltage level.

Setting a voltage offset and changing LLC might be more similar. A voltage offset will offset the voltage level requested by the cpu and so lowering this would have a somewhat similar effect to lowering LLC. However, with Zen3 the cpu seems to be monitoring this somehow and clock stretching when the set voltage goes too low.

So far in my experience, it seems best to leave voltage offset at 0, llc at auto, and just tune curve offset.

You can also increase PBO scaler to allow higher boosts at a given temperature as long as you are ok with potentially reduced cpu life.

My understanding of PBO scaler is that it raises either the time for which the cpu will request max voltage (allowing maximum frequency), or it raises the maximum voltage itself, allowing it to sustain a higher boost clock at a given temperature. As temperature increases, the allowable voltage decreases. As requested voltage decreases, clock speed decreases. Increasing this value is effectively a way to oc the cpu, with the cost being possible reduced lifespan of the cpu.

This has a slightly different effect to LLC, which alters the voltage drop between the requested (set) level and that actually seen by the cpu. Increasing LLC will not alter boost clocks directly, but since increasing LLC will increase actual voltage at the cpu core, it will increase heat, which will the result in the cpu lowering it's max voltage band then lower the clock to match. Increasing LLC can help with stability, but also possibly at the cost of some cpu life and setting to a high level can result in voltage overshoots. Generally it is better to have this at a medium to low setting and increase stability by increasing the set (or requested) voltage level.

Setting a voltage offset and changing LLC might be more similar. A voltage offset will offset the voltage level requested by the cpu and so lowering this would have a somewhat similar effect to lowering LLC. However, with Zen3 the cpu seems to be monitoring this somehow and clock stretching when the set voltage goes too low.

So far in my experience, it seems best to leave voltage offset at 0, llc at auto, and just tune curve offset.

You can also increase PBO scaler to allow higher boosts at a given temperature as long as you are ok with potentially reduced cpu life.
+1. I think you have good insight into the topic. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about scalar if that is the case precisely because right above you also have the PTTL setting which should, incidentally, determine when the scalar starts its temperature adjustment.

Case Phanteks P600s
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z v1.95 - Single: 677 Multi: 6977 Cinebench R20 - Single: 638 Multi: 6154

Based on your in depth explanation of the PBO Scaler, it's similar to my personal understanding of how it works and aware of the consequence to the lifespan of the CPU for more performance in theory. Temperature is not an issue for me at the moment, but I'm still keeping a close eye on my CPU voltages to keep it within or below the max voltage limit of these 5000 Ryzen CPUs when boosting clocks. I also tried CPU LLC set one level down lower to 4 for instance, unfortunately games start crashing again so I believe I have found my CPUs limit or close to it while maintaining stability with my settings. Fine tuning to running less voltage as possible at the limit is always a good thing.

There are always risks with overclocking to the limit I'm used to and accepted for many years :). Technology these days are outdated so fast like cellular phones, I do have less regard to keeping any computer components for no more than 4-5 years at a time anyway to satisfy this hobby. Plus, I haven't personally experienced any degradation effects with any overclocked Intel or AMD CPUs over the past 20 years doing this as long as I stay within or below the safe acceptable voltage and temperature range, but then again I'm also not running at 100% 24/7.

System Name PC on since Aug 2019, 1st CPU R5 3600 + ASUS ROG RX580 8GB >> MSI Gaming X RX5700XT (Jan 2020)
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X (July 2022), 160W PPT limit, 80C temp limit, CO -9~14
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (Rev1.0), BIOS F37h, AGESA V2 1.2.0.B
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm Rev7 (Jan 2024) with off center mount for Ryzen, TIM: Kryonaut
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo GTZN (July 2022) 3600MT/s 1.39V CL16-16-16-16-32-48 1T, tRFC:280, B-die
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900XTX (Dec 2023) 314~466W (366W current) PowerLimit, 1060mV, Adrenalin v24.7.1
Storage Samsung NVMe: 980Pro 1TB(OS 2022), 970Pro 512GB(2019) / SATA-III: 850Pro 1TB(2015) 860Evo 1TB(2020)
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DW 34" QD-OLED curved (1800R), 3440x1440 144Hz (max 175Hz) HDR400/1000, VRR on
Case None... naked on desk
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 headset
Power Supply Corsair HX750i, 80+ Platinum, 93% (250~700W), modular, single/dual rail (switch)
Mouse Logitech MX Master (Gen1)
Keyboard Logitech G15 (Gen2) w/ LCDSirReal applet
Software Windows 11 Home 64bit (v23H2, OSBuild 22631.4037), upgraded from Win10 to Win11 on Feb 2024
Based on your in depth explanation of the PBO Scaler, it's similar to my personal understanding of how it works and aware of the consequence to the lifespan of the CPU for more performance in theory. Temperature is not an issue for me at the moment, but I'm still keeping a close eye on my CPU voltages to keep it within or below the max voltage limit of these 5000 Ryzen CPUs when boosting clocks. I also tried CPU LLC set one level down lower to 4 for instance, unfortunately games start crashing again so I believe I have found my CPUs limit or close to it while maintaining stability with my settings. Fine tuning to running less voltage as possible at the limit is always a good thing.

There are always risks with overclocking to the limit I'm used to and accepted for many years :). Technology these days are outdated so fast like cellular phones, I do have less regard to keeping any computer components for no more than 4-5 years at a time anyway to satisfy this hobby. Plus, I haven't personally experienced any degradation effects with any overclocked Intel or AMD CPUs over the past 20 years doing this as long as I stay within or below the safe acceptable voltage and temperature range, but then again I'm also not running at 100% 24/7.
Do not compare these 7nm chips to what we had 5, 10, or 20 years ago. The same or even less electomigration could potentially inflict more degradation on thinner traces and transistors, caused by voltage and high-er current. Even if temp is within limits. Taking scalar on manual, and above X1, is nevertheless an override, hence PBO-verride. Use it wisely and sparingly, I sincerely advise you.

Too much sustained voltage (+higher speed +load = higher sustained current) could worsen things quickly too, as much as too high voltage alone under load. Thats why these 7nm chiplets hit their stock target voltages and speeds shortly and as AMD declares... opportunistically.

I will agree that 5000's curve optimizer is a way better OC, in terms of performance and reliability, than static values that its the only way on 3000... but still its easy to misuse and you should all be cautious as there is no background that connects 7nm ZEN3 (and ZEN2) to anything. Any reference to older gens of chips I find it to be mistargeted and/or irrelevant.
Tell me 1 CPU of the past (pre 7nm) that can be degraded with 1.35V static. Well, ZEN2 can and I'm pointing at this as an example to past references. Its uncharted waters both ZEN2/3.

What OCing users (most) seems not grasping is how and why these CPUs are regulated the way they are. Its my estimate based on what I see on attempted settings.

----------------------------------------------------

This is general and not directly refering to 7nm ZEN but its food for thought for everyone.

I also discovered something interesting recently. The 5800x is unique in the way it generates heat, and may require adjustment of the positioning of the cooler and mounting. Read more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/kszoh9
Since I have an arctic liquid freezer ii rev3 with an offset mount option I decided to try this. I had originally installed it with the normal mounting position. Removed and switched to the offset position. End result? Almost no difference. After letting it sit for 24hrs, with an 85C temp limit set in the bios, p95 with fixed fft size of 84, avx disabled, I was previously at ~145-150W with a motherboard temp of 22C. Now I'm at 150-152W with a motherboard temp of 23C. That's either a very slight improvement, measurement error, or a change due to better luck with the quantity of thermal compound I used :)

Regarding PBO Scaler I just did a quick experiment and this appears to make no difference with a steady state load that is not power or temp limited. Maybe this makes a short term difference if a power or voltage limit is reached? I also checked all core steady state load and that was the same as well.

I tried with P95, single thread, in place fft fixed size of 84, avx disabled, and used hwinfo to report average effective clocks over >15s for each core.

First ran with all cores to let everything heat soak, then switched to a single core, and used task manager to assign it to a single core (same core each time). Let it sit for a bit for temps to settle down. Clicked reset counters, then let it run for >15s for the average to settle down and made a note of that.

BTW, this is a very good way to test if your curve setting is stable for each core. I thought I was 100% stable, but core2 failed after a few min of having a single thread locked to that core and so I need to go reduce that offset :-|

scaler x1scaler x1scaler x10scaler x10
CoreAverage effective clocktemp (C)Average effective clocktemp (C)
average480571480871

Last edited:
You know the reference two negatives does not prove a positive? You are making assumptions based on unknowns.

I tried a cinebench run as well and that gave the same results too. Clean boot, quit all apps running in the task bar. Single core 264 w/PBO scaler=x10, 266 w/PBO scaler=x1. Multicore was 2593 vs 2594. I'm actually surprised it was that consistent since normally the scores change a little if I run a 2nd time.

Case Phanteks P600s
Do not compare these 7nm chips to what we had 5, 10, or 20 years ago. The same or even less electomigration could potentially inflict more degradation on thinner traces and transistors, caused by voltage and high-er current. Even if temp is within limits. Taking scalar on manual, and above X1, is nevertheless an override, hence PBO-verride. Use it wisely and sparingly, I sincerely advise you.

Too much sustained voltage (+higher speed +load = higher sustained current) could worsen things quickly too, as much as too high voltage alone under load. Thats why these 7nm chiplets hit their stock target voltages and speeds shortly and as AMD declares... opportunistically.

I will agree that 5000's curve optimizer is a way better OC, in terms of performance and reliability, than static values that its the only way on 3000... but still its easy to misuse and you should all be cautious as there is no background that connects 7nm ZEN3 (and ZEN2) to anything. Any reference to older gens of chips I find it to be mistargeted and/or irrelevant.
Tell me 1 CPU of the past (pre 7nm) that can be degraded with 1.35V static. Well, ZEN2 can and I'm pointing at this as an example to past references. Its uncharted waters both ZEN2/3.

What OCing users (most) seems not grasping is how and why these CPUs are regulated the way they are. Its my estimate based on what I see on attempted settings.

----------------------------------------------------

This is general and not directly refering to 7nm ZEN but its food for thought for everyone.

Duly noted. I understand the curve optimization overclocking should not be approached with the same the old conventional overclocking ways. But this was just one configuration I was able to get running and stabilized but may not be my final daily setting just yet. I'm still learning and playing with the curve optimizer to compare my current most stable results. I'm may also be closing in to finding a stable curve optimized negative setting that should net me the similar boost clock behavior and frequency without touching and CPU voltage offsets or PBO Scalar by identifying the 2 best cores first, then configuring the curve by individual cores from there. It's taking a long time by even more meticulous trial and error, but should be better optimized this way if I can get it stable somehow.

System Name Maharajmeister
Processor Ryzen 78000x3D
Motherboard Asus X670E-Plus
Cooling 2x Bitspower 360 rad, EK D5 pump, EK Quantum Kinetic 250 res, Byksky 4080 water block
Memory Kingston Fury DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4090
Storage 2x 2TB Samsung SSD 980 EVO PRO Gen4
Display(s) Acer XV282K KV
Case Themaltake P3 TG Pro
Audio Device(s) ??
Power Supply BeQuiet Pure Power 12 1000
Mouse Roccat Kone Air
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan TKL
I have a 5800x on a GA X570i Aorus Pro WIFI costum water loop dual rad in a tiny Ghost Louqe MKIII.
Will try these PBO settings

Kamilz34

I have mine set on a B550-F to just straight core VID 1.275 and CCX0 Ratio of 46.75. So basically all my cores run to 4.675 GHz and no more. But my Cinebench R23 score is quite good for that at 15780 repeatable, got above 16100 average when I could do -15 undervolt.

It runs at like 66/67C max temps during the run usually with a 280mm Arctic AIO with fans spinning at less than 50%.

I have my PBO at motherboard, I didn't touch anything else as any curve optimizer settings at all, even -5 make my computer not even want to boot up. It used to run at -15 but idk why it won't accept that anymore

Is 1.275v too low for a CPU?

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
I have a 5800x on a GA X570i Aorus Pro WIFI costum water loop dual rad in a tiny Ghost Louqe MKIII.
Will try these PBO settings
You're better off just leaving it at auto or a simple pbo + manual limit aka PPT limit of whatever floats your boat for power draw. Like for ex. 160w on a 5800x is really humming along. That's doable since you're on a full loop.

Kamilz34

Btw for most I see in this thread, your (perf) core clock is not your actual clock, your effective clock is what the program sees. My Cinebench scores are directly related to the Effective clock and could care less that my (perf) clock is at 5Ghz when the effective is at 4.3GHz. I am no expert, but that is what I see from my testing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Btw for most I see in this thread, your (perf) core clock is not your actual clock, your effective clock is what the program sees. My Cinebench scores are directly related to the Effective clock and could care less that my (perf) clock is at 5Ghz when the effective is at 4.3GHz. I am no expert, but that is what I see from my testing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Effective clock vs instant (discrete) clock | HWiNFO Forum

Core clocks are used for epeen. Effective are what's actually doing work as you found out.

I have mine set on a B550-F to just straight core VID 1.275 and CCX0 Ratio of 46.75. So basically all my cores run to 4.675 GHz and no more. But my Cinebench R23 score is quite good for that at 15780 repeatable, got above 16100 average when I could do -15 undervolt.

It runs at like 66/67C max temps during the run usually with a 280mm Arctic AIO with fans spinning at less than 50%.

I have my PBO at motherboard, I didn't touch anything else as any curve optimizer settings at all, even -5 make my computer not even want to boot up. It used to run at -15 but idk why it won't accept that anymore

Is 1.275v too low for a CPU?

Since you have manually set VID you have already undervolted. You don't need to use curve offset in this case. Interesting that had an effect though, I would have thought it would be ignored.

As thesmokingman already mentioned, this is true. But now you need to look at why your effective clock is so much lower than actual

Two things I am aware of that can cause this with Zen3:

1) ASUS Fmax enhancer, if enabled try disabling this.
2) Setting a voltage offset that is too low for the cpu.

Last edited:

Illusion

i am not a native english speaker.

i started investigating many complaints about the 5800x running very hot.

in the last 14 days i tried over 200 different PBO tweaks to get the most out of my Chip.
the 5800X sits on a B550 STRIX-F and is cooled by a Kraken X73.

even with 100% Pump Speed i get like 78-85°C in Cinebench R20... and the reason is pretty clear.
the 5800X has the same power/current limits as a 5950X. (142W PPT, 140A EDC, 95A TDC)
that means the cores consume around twice the power on the 5800X.

after AMD said "this is normal and expected" i started living with it and tweaked it with PBO.

after a specific "benchmark" from me in Rainbow six siege (a custom map with the indentical paths, destroying specific walls with the same operator)

i ran every benchmark 15 times with stock, and the two most successful PBO tweaks.

Results for Rainbow Six Siege:

Stock Mainboard Settings with DOCP on.
all Cores were between 4.35 and 4.5 Ghz with an average all core clockspeed of around 4.43 Ghz. (average VCore 1.403 and 63°C) Average FPS 309

PBO PPT 180 / TDC 140 / EDC 180. 2X Scalar, 100 Mhz Offset.
all cores were between 4.45 and 4.55 Ghz with an average all core clockspeed of around 4.48 Ghz. (average VCore 1.437V and 67°C) Average FPS 313

PBO PPT 200 / TDC 165 / EDC 200. 4X Scalar, 150 Mhz Offset.
all cores were between 4.45 Ghz and 4.58 Ghz with an average all core clockspeed of around 4.52 Ghz. (average VCore 1.465V and 72°C) Average FPS 314

Results with Cinebench R23:
Stock:
1609 SC / 15533 MC (78.8°C 1.331V @ 139W)
4850 Mhz / 4500 Mhz

PBO PPT 180 / TDC 140 / EDC 180. 2X Scalar, 100 Mhz Offset:
1623 SC / 15549 MC (81.5°C 1.34V @ 144W)
4950 Mhz / 4525 Mhz

PBO PPT 200 / TDC 165 / EDC 200. 4X Scalar, 150 Mhz Offset:
1641 SC / 15602 MC (86.1°C 1.365V @ 153W)
4975-5000 Mhz / 4550 Mhz

then i started taking some Power off the CPU and let it do it's thing. (Using PBO with the following settings reduced the performance as much as -200 MHz)

DOCP + Changing Powerlimits in PBO without changing any Scalar or Clockspeed Offset.

PBO PPT 105 / TDC 70 / EDC 90

Rainbow Six Siege:

all cores were between 4.58 Ghz and 4.72 Ghz with an average all core clockspeed of around 4.67 Ghz. (average VCore 1.38V and 61°C) Average FPS 324

Cinebench R20:
1611 SC / 15091 MC (64.8°C 1.2V @ 105W)
4850 Mhz / 4425 Mhz

The results are the biggest improvement so far.
Gaming and other lighter Tasks are much faster than PBO while consuming way less power.
Only the Multicore performance is around 3.5% lower while consuming around 33% less power.

i am currently trying this in other applications like Blender and other/heavier Videogames like Battlefield V and Cyberpunk 2077.

i highly recommend testing this for yourself :)
So, what is your VCore voltage set to? Auto? Also, what is the VCore set to when doing curve optimizer? Thanks!

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Motherboard MSI x570S Unify-X Max
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Memory 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance bdie 3600@CL16 1.35v
Video Card(s) GB 2080S WaterForce WB
Storage six M.2 pcie gen 4
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar AE, modded Sennheiser HD 558, Klipsch 2.1 THX
Power Supply Corsair RMx 750w
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
Benchmark Scores TimeSpy score Fire Strike Ultra SuperPosition CB20
Got pretty good gains using the clock tuner from 1usmus.
no numbers yet, was just messing with the tool prior to clean win install..

go thru the guide, even if you used prior CTRs.
CTR 2.0

brandofriva

Got pretty good gains using the clock tuner from 1usmus.
no numbers yet, was just messing with the tool prior to clean win install..

go thru the guide, even if you used prior CTRs.
CTR 2.0
Ye this gave me vastly improved numbers too.
You can however still get a pretty good improvement just from PBO etc as in the rest of this thread.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Cooling D5 clone, 280 rad, two F14 + three F12S bottom/intake, two P14S + F14S (Rad) + two F14 (top)
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
it makes use of pbo. just switch to enabled prior to tuning.

PBO + manual tuning of curve offset gives me higher clocks than CTR 2.0. CTR uses lower voltages so less heat and power though. I need to play with it some more to figure the right balance and also understand how it works when there is a heavy avx load. It is nicely written and a lot less effort than manual tuning.

System Name Main
Processor R7 5950x
Display(s) Sony 50X90J
Case Tt Level 20 HT
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard GSKILL Ripjaws
VR HMD NA
Software win 10 pro x64
@bluefrisky
unless you have a really crappy block, doubt the offset bracket will make any impact,
as almost all decent aio/blocks will cover the full HS.

when i look at my 30$ block (clear), it shows the channels cover whole (cpu) HS,
and when i took a friends pump apart (240 eisbaer) for cleaning, same thing.
water channels are covering the whole HS, so the bracket wont do anything.