• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Critical Flaw in Windows 10 Could Corrupt Your Hard Drive

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
As long as you don't use the built-in Windows Firewall, that's not really a problem.
Yet. But someday it will be. Hopefully by the time that comes around though most users will have migrated.

Write-buffering actually completes the writes as some point.
True. At least, usually true. There are some exceptions but not generally worth mentioning. JFS on linux for example, has the amazing property of a write buffer that won't flush until it's full: that's right, no timeout.

No one really uses that anymore though.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I still wouldn't trust it. If I knew that a file was corrupt, I'd wouldn't trust any repair of it. Replace it from a known good source.
Now there's the rub. Without a checksum, how are you going to know that data become corrupted in the first place if you don't have a signature to check it against? You won't until you try to use it and if (and only if,) the application using it throws an error due to the corruption as opposed to still continuing to operate with the bad data.
Write-buffering actually completes the writes as some point.
So does CoW. Metadata gets copied, but why copy the data when it doesn't change? The data is already there and it's not going to change. If you as the consumer of data get your data when you ask for it, why do you care if under the hood there is structural sharing to save on space along with all the other benefits of going that route? You shouldn't. You should however care about things like snapshotting and disk space optimization because it enables you to have more control over your data without having to do all of this yourself and things like optimizing disk usage gets you more out of your drive. That's definitely not a bad thing.

Last edited:
System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
has the amazing property of a write buffer that won't flush until it's full: that's right, no timeout.
I'm not sure I like that concept. We've already had discussions in other parts of these forums where people have complained about how SSDs (except for those expensive enterprise drives) don't have some form of onboard power device to complete the write transactions in case of a power failure. Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Now there's the rub. Without a checksum, how are you going to know that data become corrupted in the first place if you don't have a signature to check it against? You won't until you try to use it and if (and only if,) the application using it throws an error due to the corruption as opposed to still continuing to operate with the bad data.
For my most important data, I make my own checksums. Do I wish I didn't have to do that? Yes. But I only do that for about 1 to 2% of the data that I store, mostly ripped DVD ISO files (yes, I own them). As for the rest of the six or seven terabytes of data that I have, oh well... it's not a big deal.

If you guys must know, I have a TV series set that is really old and the DVD set is experiencing bit-rot. Some of the disks are physically delaminating. Needless to say, I have all the disks ripped to ISO files on my drives and store them in multiple locations with manually created SHA512 checksums.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
I'm not sure I like that concept. We've already had discussions in other parts of these forums where people have complained about how SSDs (except for those expensive enterprise drives) don't have some form of onboard power device to complete the write transactions in case of a power failure. Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
No, you are completely correct.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I thought so. Any write buffer that doesn't start spooling the data to the disk as fast as possible opens the door for data corruption the likes of which... yeah, I really don't want to think about it.

Yet. But someday it will be.
If you really think that, you need to brush up on how firewalls work. If a person using a third party firewall that is currently being maintained and continuing to support Win7, if properly configured, that user will not be exposed to anything that will put them at risk.
Hopefully by the time that comes around though most users will have migrated.
Time will tell.
No one really uses that anymore though.
Likely because it's not very useful.
I thought so. Any write buffer that doesn't start spooling the data to the disk as fast as possible opens the door for data corruption the likes of which... yeah, I really don't want to think about it.
Exactly.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
If you really think that, you need to brush up on how firewalls work.
No, I don't. a firewall can't supersede the TCP/IP stack that accepts the incoming connection in the first place. Find a hole in that and you've got the keys to the kingdom.

It'll take time. It took A REAL LONG TIME for 2000 to get there. I don't think XP is even there yet. But it'll happen, because software isn't perfect. As I said, I doubt it'll be a real issue because by then, the install base will be gone. We hope anyways.

Likely because it's not very useful.
It's fast and has low cpu cycles, but it's largerly from IBM datacenter land and doesn't care if you lose power, screw you in that situation lol. You also should be using ECC according to them. Yeah. Old school IBM exec logic... lol.

NTFS as far as a filesystem has it's lineage in HPFS from OS/2. It's a very old design. That doesn't mean it's bad though. It's decently vetted and proven. But Microsoft is aware it is aging, and is working on a replacement already. That's why I mentioned ReFS. It's already available in Server, but it doesn't support extended attributes yet, so you can't install to it.

No, I don't. a firewall can't supersede the TCP/IP stack that accepts the incoming connection in the first place. Find a hole in that and you've got the keys to the kingdom.
Oh yes you do. Most good firewalls use kernel level implementations to regulate network traffic coming into and out of a system being firewalled. I'm aware that IT security is your line of work, however that doesn't mean you have nothing to learn.
But Microsoft is aware it is aging, and is working on a replacement already.
NTFS doesn't need replacement, it needs refinement. Nothing more. You don't fix something that isn't broken.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Oh yes you do. Most good firewalls use kernel level implementations to regulate network traffic coming into and out of a system being firewalled. I'm aware that IT security is your line of work, however that doesn't mean you have nothing to learn.
Your saying they use their own TCP stack? I really doubt that. Mind you stack level exploits are really rare. Like I said the last I'm aware of is in Windows 2000... or maybe it's even NT, I forget. They aren't common, is the point.
Regardless, I basically agree with you.
NTFS doesn't need replacement, it needs refinement. Nothing more. You don't fix something that isn't broken.
In the same sense that FAT32 doesn't need replacement, yes (I'm aware they are not in the same league but they both fill roles, so bear with me). See, it's good at what it does but having a newer flashier "heir to the throne" would not hurt the PR people. That's what MS is after, honestly. ReFS is slowly being retrofitted for that, I feel.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Your saying they use their own TCP stack? I really doubt that.
Exactly. The firewall still needs to insert itself into the networking stack. If at any stage of the networking stack there is a vulnerability below that of where the firewall is loaded, as @R-T-B has said before... you have the keys to the kingdom.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Exactly. The firewall still needs to insert itself into the networking stack. If at any stage of the networking stack there is a vulnerability, as @R-T-B has said before... you have the keys to the kingdom.
But again, these kind of exploits are rare, because the best coders are hired for that sort of stuff. Because they know that's entry point #1.

Not impossible, but pretty far out.

So we both have points here.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
But again, these kind of exploits are rare, because the best coders are hired for that sort of stuff. Because they know that's entry point #1.
Ah but I still remember the days of using punters back in the old Windows 9x days. Oh those were the days. Losing an online game? Load the punter and sit back as your opponent dropped out of the game. I believe it used a malformed ICMP packet that crashed the old Windows 9x TCP/IP stack.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Ah but I still remember the days of using punters back in the old Windows 9x days. Oh those were the days. Losing an online game? Load the punter and sit back as your opponent dropped out of the game. I believe it used a malformed ICMP packet that crashed the old Windows 9x TCP/IP stack.
9x was kind of an abomination in that regard, lol.

I think it's the last one Bill Gates actually had lines of code in too. Makes me wonder how competent he really was...

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
9x was kind of an abomination in that regard, lol.

I think it's the last one Bill Gates actually had lines of code in too. Makes me wonder how competent he really was...
Oh yeah, it was only when Windows XP came out that the consumer world graduated to using a real OS. Everything before Windows XP was an absolute dumpster fire.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / ST10000VN0008 / SA400S37960G / SNV21000G / NM620 2TB
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Everything before Windows XP was an absolute dumpster fire.
Hey, my Windows 2000 nostalgia is insulted by that comment! :laugh:

I do agree, though. I would go even further and say XP before SP2 was garbage.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Yep. I have another unwanted forced update last night.

And YES I have done all the registry policy and O&O shut ups to stop forced update. But somehow, MS, automagically does it anyway.

You can COMPLETELY disable Windows updates on Windows 10. Tested on 1903,

First go to Services and shut off Windows Update and disable it. Refresh Services to make sure it isn't running.

Now navigate to \windows\system32\ and find files wuaueng.dll and wuauclt.exe. If you can find the former, then look for wuauserv.dll.

For each, go to properties, security, advanced.
Click change owner and type in your user name, Click Check Names to select your user name and Click ok. Then Click Apply or Ok on the main window and close it and reopen it.
Now, you can change permissions for all users.
Delete/Remove permissions from all users and Click Ok.

If that doesn't work, then change owner to Administrator, close the window and try again.

That's it.
To re-enable, add "Read/Execute" permissions to System on wuaueng.dll or whichever dll you have. Doesn't need it on wuauclt.exe for some reason.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
...we need an update script, to allow permissions, force manual update, then deny permissions.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
RTB, thanks for the tip. Installed. Looks nifty. But look at this screenshot:

winup.png

Please tell me what i am doing wrong. Look, the screenshot shows that "Disable Automatic Update" was ALREADY set. But guess what, Windows autoupdates, auto reboots. Can you lot even begin to understand my frustration!

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
RTB, thanks for the tip. Installed. Looks nifty. But look at this screenshot:

View attachment 187436

Please tell me what i am doing wrong. Look, the screenshot shows that "Disable Automatic Update" was ALREADY set. But guess what, Windows autoupdates, auto reboots. Can you lot even begin to understand my frustration!
Try running as Administrator? Maybe it'll unlock other checkboxes there, I usually use "Disable Update Facilities."

Is this specific to the C:/ drive only or any drive!?!? Curious if you can use this to corrupt then reformat a bitlocker encrypted drive.

Last edited: