• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Been watching that kid since he had almost no subscribers, always liked his low budget builds. Great to see his channel went big :)

I like him because he does what we all do, budget stuff (well, most of us at least) and he seems like a good hearted kid.

This card looks pretty good but I'm concerned about how "short" the PCIe connector is vs. my motherboard slot which are longer
Will it work properly in the PCIe2 x8, PCIe2 x16, PCIe2 x8 slots? Another newb question, but the connector is so small?!
That's a solid USB3.0 card. It'll work in any of the PCIe slots you have. However in the picture you posted, the black slot on the bottom would be the best to use as it's on the back side of the video card and will not block ventilation or air flow.

rdizzle321

Thanks. Because I'm using an unraid server and will want to use this as a pcie passthrough do I need to make sure it supports Linux or any other driver/hardware specific things? That card doesn't obviously state Linux support

Processor Core i7-13700
Motherboard MSI Z790 Gaming Plus WiFi
Cooling Cooler Master RGB something
Memory Corsair DDR5-6000 small OC to 6200
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB,,WD850N 2TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 11 Professional v23H2
Thanks. Because I'm using an unraid server and will want to use this as a pcie passthrough do I need to make sure it supports Linux or any other driver/hardware specific things? That card doesn't obviously state Linux support
The chip advertised in the photo is VLI VL805-Q6. It's soldered on the Raspberry Pi 4 board for the two USB 3.0 ports so compatible with Linux. It's on my Raspberry Pi 4

Actually, Linux support is mentioned on the description page front and center, sadly, no Linux support.

However, you can use this one;
Which states Linux is supported.

System Name Custom Dell t5500
Processor 2x Xeon X5690s
Motherboard DELL CRH6C
Cooling Aio liquid cooler on 1 cpu, air cooler on the other.
Memory 64 gb of ecc registered ddr3
Video Card(s) Zotac twin edge oc rtx 3070
Storage 1tb nvme ssd with pcie adaptor, and 2tb hdd
Display(s) 2 basic monitors, nothin fancy
Case stock case with custom paint, and custom acrylic side panel
Audio Device(s) bluetooth speaker
Power Supply 875 Watt 80+ Silver
Mouse Corsair ms5
Keyboard corsair k68
Software Windows 10
Hey guys, I have a t5500 with 2 xeon x5690s 48 gb of ram, and an rtx 3070. I was wondering if there was a way to use set fsb or throtle stop to overclock? Iv tried them before and the sliders were greyed out, and I coudn't really do anything. Are there older bios revisions that allowed it, or any functional custom bioses? Id love to squeeze as much preformance as I can out of these chips.

rdizzle321

Hey guys, I have a t5500 with 2 xeon x5690s 48 gb of ram, and an rtx 3070. I was wondering if there was a way to use set fsb or throtle stop to overclock? Iv tried them before and the sliders were greyed out, and I coudn't really do anything. Are there older bios revisions that allowed it, or any functional custom bioses? Id love to squeeze as much preformance as I can out of these chips.
I am by no means an expert, but when I was asking a few weeks ago, I believe I was told the T5500 do not support overclocking the CPUs. If you find out, let me know!

setfsb works (I've had it working) but it's really marginal gains and you need to run all your drives from a card rather than the onboard controller. End of the day.. it's not worth it

rdizzle321

Actually, Linux support is mentioned on the description page front and center, sadly, no Linux support.

However, you can use this one;
Which states Linux is supported.

Again, thanks lex! I see that card is $125... I searched for "linux usb pcie" on amazon and it seems like this $40 one achieves the same. Any reason it wouldn't work? Sorry for being so pedantic, but Amazon returns are annoying!

Processor 2x Xeon X5690s
Motherboard DELL CRH6C
Mouse Corsair ms5
Keyboard corsair k68
Software Windows 10
setfsb works (I've had it working) but it's really marginal gains and you need to run all your drives from a card rather than the onboard controller. End of the day.. it's not worth it
Thanks for the response, what do you mean by a card rather than an on board controller?

Thanks for the response, what do you mean by a card rather than an on board controller?
The onboard sata can't handle running above standard bus speed but some sata/sas cards can deal with it better. Do you have your drives runnning from the motherboard or do you have a SAS card?

Hey guys, I have a t5500 with 2 xeon x5690s 48 gb of ram, and an rtx 3070. I was wondering if there was a way to use set fsb or throtle stop to overclock?
There is no way to change the bclk, and because you have X5690, which have locked multipliers the only OC you can get from them with ThrottleStop is to force max multi turbo on all cores. Still, for those CPU's that will give a health boost and you should enjoy the results.

BTW, welcome to the forums Spoonman!!

Again, thanks lex! I see that card is $125... I searched for "linux usb pcie" on amazon and it seems like this $40 one achieves the same. Any reason it wouldn't work? Sorry for being so pedantic, but Amazon returns are annoying!
Nice! The Startech was the cheapest Linux compatible one I could find. Of course I'm in the states and Amazon sorts by shipping area, so it's possible the others don't ship to the US from Canada. Glad you found a good card!

rdizzle321

Awesome thanks! For once something is available here and not there LOL, and at a cheaper price. :)

all the best

Processor 2x Xeon X5690s
Motherboard DELL CRH6C
Mouse Corsair ms5
Keyboard corsair k68
Software Windows 10
There is no way to change the bclk, and because you have X5690, which have locked multipliers the only OC you can get from them with ThrottleStop is to force max multi turbo on all cores. Still, for those CPU's that will give a health boost and you should enjoy the results.

BTW, welcome to the forums Spoonman!!

Nice! The Startech was the cheapest Linux compatible one I could find. Of course I'm in the states and Amazon sorts by shipping area, so it's possible the others don't ship to the US from Canada. Glad you found a good card!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I was at school yesterday when I commented, and couldn't really test throittle stop, but now when I go to change my trl, everything is greyed out, along with the options in the tpl. So how would you set an all core max turbo

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was at school yesterday when I commented, and couldn't really test throittle stop, but now when I go to change my trl, everything is greyed out, along with the options in the tpl. So how would you set an all core max turbo
Have to "checked" the "Set Multiplier" and moved it up to it's maximum and then clicked "Turn On" followed by "Save"?

Remember that you have to uncheck "Speed Step" and "C1E" as well.

Processor 2x Xeon X5690s
Motherboard DELL CRH6C
Mouse Corsair ms5
Keyboard corsair k68
Software Windows 10
When I do that, my task mgr shows no change to my turbo. Everything is still greyed out in tpl and trl, incase your instructions were to fix that, rather than the turbo.

Everything is still greyed out in tpl and trl, incase your instructions were to fix that, rather than the turbo.
No, the locked status of the X5600 series means those settings are always greyed out. But forcing the multi to max all-core turbo should be doable. When I was using my X5680 and X5675 before it, this worked. I'm currently on a W3680 which is fully unlocked.

Last edited:
Processor 2x Xeon X5690s
Motherboard DELL CRH6C
Mouse Corsair ms5
Keyboard corsair k68
Software Windows 10
No, the locked status of the X5600 series means those settings are always greyed out. But forcing the multi to max all-core turbo should be doable. When I was using my X5680 and X5675 before it, this worked.
ok, I always thought the 5690 was the only chip ion the family that could be overclocked, as I'v seen youtubers do it with the evga sr2 mobo, but i may be wrong. When I made thoes changes, nothing happened, but my pc wasn't under load. Would it need to be in order to see results?

mgv

Hi, I have a T5600, and I'm replacing the PSU with a 1300W PSU from a T7600. My power distribution board CVHT6 has 1x 24-pin POWER1, 1x 8-pin VGA and 2x 8-pin EPS for the two CPUs. I see the power distribution board MGW39 for T7600 has 1x 24-pin POWER1, 3x 8-pin VGA, but for the two CPUs there is a single 20-pin connector. I assume the PSU would work fine with my current power distribution board, but I don't know if the extra power rails would be used. I've considered using the T7600 power distribution board, but is there any reasonable way to get 2x EPS from that 20-pin connector?

I'd use the 7600 board just for the added vga sockets. The eps harness should just be made up of black and yellow wires 12+ and ground. If you buy a 7600 board get one with the harnesses. Shouldn't be hard to find. Un pin the motherboard side of the eps harness and plug 16 of the wires to the correct spots on your 5600 8 pin eps connectors. Remove the 4 un used pins from the original 7600 psu board connector

After thought you may not be able to fit the psu board from the 7600. I was not able to find a pinout of a 7600 so I can't say if anything is switched up on the psu. I doubt it but can't be sure.

It seems I've blown up the PSU in my T5500. But I just wanted to ask a question. Does the self power test button on the back of the PSU work with the PSU unplugged from it's harness? IE it's independant from the T5500 itself?. Asking because I'm want to be sure it's the PSU that popped (something made a pop on power on) before I order another. I've had a look inside the PSU and can't find and obviously damaged component and it was a very small pop sound so I guess it might not be visible (fuse is ok).

Edit: Nevermind I unplugged the PSU on my T7500 and can confirm the PSU self test is totally independent to the machine. So the PSU in the T5500 has failed. I'll have a real good look for the failed component and if I can't find it I'll decide on replacing the PSU with either another T5500 unit or maybe even the 1100 watt from the 7500, people say it can be made to fit.

Update: Found the source of the pop, a cracked resistor. But this doesn't really explain what went wrong. Guess it can't hurt replacing the resistor and seeing if it pops again

Update 2:.. No change with new resistor but I think it's the IC TNY279PN that is the problem, seems these are dodgy

Last edited:

mgv

After thought you may not be able to fit the psu board from the 7600. I was not able to find a pinout of a 7600 so I can't say if anything is switched up on the psu. I doubt it but can't be sure.

You're right. I got the power supply and psu board today, the T7600 psu board is significantly larger :-(
I've installed the power supply and it works with my current T5600 psu board, but I assume I'm not benefiting from the extra power because the extra power rails are not being used.

Don't be certain your not using all the rails. Just because there are less connections doesn't mean psu pins aren't shared. I'm willing to bet that the 7600 psu board has more pins than the psu has rails.