• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia GTX 1650Ti stuck at 300mhz clock speed

bringme_115

I recently (December 2020) bought an Acer Nitro 5 with the 1650Ti GPU. However after updating the graphic drivers via GeForce Experience, i noticed a significant drop in fps (150 to 12 lol). Unaware of what could cause the problem, i simply jsut rolled back the driver and everything was fine. I also did not upgrade the drivers afterward in fear of the problem recurring. Last week however, when the new driver was released, i accidentally okayed it as i was in a class and in a rush to get it off the screen. The problem came back and I cannot seem to fix it. Do note Im not a tech expert so im not really sure why this is happening. After many attempted fixes and diagnosing I think i narrowed it down to the gpu's internal throttling since the voltage caps at 0.6V. This is also my first gaming laptop so its kinda bumming me that i now cannot play any games since the issue arose. ANY and ALL help will really be appreciated. Here is a list of things I did in trying to undo this problem.

1. Adjust Power Settings
  2. Reset Laptop (about like 5times)
  3. Uninstall GPU drivers using DDU and Reset Laptop then reinstall older versions of Drivers (I did it with each driver version available for the GPU)
  4. Uninstall GPU drivers using DDU and Nvidia Clean up Tool then Reset Laptop then reinstalled older versions of Drivers (also with each version)
  5. Tried to Use Afterburner to Overclock (this was only done as an attempted solution i.e. the gpu was not overclocked prior)
  6. Uninstall GPU and Integrated drivers using DDU and Reset laptop then reinstall older versions of Drivers. (also with each version)
  7. Tried connecting a gaming monitor and attempting all the previous 6.
The one thing I haven't tried and hesitant to is flashing the Bios of the GPU. If anyone has any ideas how to solve, im all ears.

Attachments

• gpuz ss.gif
    gpuz ss.gif
    18 KB · Views: 1,224
My first thought would have been that the laptop is using integrated graphics from the cpu if the cpu has them.
But cpu-z shows 98% load on the gtx 1650ti. Weird one.

bringme_115

My first thought would have been that the laptop is using integrated graphics from the cpu if the cpu has them.
But cpu-z shows 98% load on the gtx 1650ti. Weird one.
That was my first thoughts too but i tried almost everything i could think of and researched. I wondered as well if bad drivers could "break" the card, but from what i see on the gpu-z the card is working, its just not being powered fully. :/

Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI MPG X570S Carbon Max Wifi
Cooling CPU: bequiet! Dark Rock 4. Case fans: 2x bequiet Silent Wings 3 140s, 2x Silent Wings 3 120s
Memory 2 x 8 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 C19
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E M.2, 1 TB SK Hynix P31 M.2, 1 TB Inland Professional, 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG271CQR 1440p 144Hz, MSI Optix MAG241C 1080p 144Hz
Case Lian Li Lancool III
Audio Device(s) Philips SHP9500, V-Moda BoomPro, Sybasonic Better Connectivity USB DAC/Amp
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 80+ Gold 750W
Mouse Glorious Model D Wireless
Keyboard Custom Qwertykeys Navy QK80: Sarokeys Strawberry Wine switches, GMK CYL DMG3 keycaps
I would start by making sure your power plan settings in Nvidia Control Panel and Windows 10 are set to prefer maximum performance.

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 6000 CL30 (A-Die)
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Streacom BC1 V2
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
when a GPU does not boost means (mostly) that it is in some kind of safemode. (when something is shorted, powerdelivery has an issue etc.)

did you took a look inside if something does not look good on the PCB around it?

bringme_115

when a GPU does not boost means (mostly) that it is in some kind of safemode. (when something is shorted, powerdelivery has an issue etc.)

did you took a look inside if something does not look good on the PCB around it?
Oh. I did not open it up. I dont know much to open it up myself, i figured it would have been a software issue that could simply be resolved. i would get someone who can open it to check for me though

Processor ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard AB350m Pro4
Cooling custom loop
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force TXKD416G3600HC18ADC01 16gbs XMP
Video Card(s) HP GTX1650 super 4gb
Storage MZVLB256HBHQ-000H1 PM981a (256GB)/3TB HDD
Display(s) Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx
Case Rosewill CULLINAN
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Mouse Best Buy Insignia
Keyboard Best Buy Insignia
Software Win 10 pro
Oh. I did not open it up. I dont know much to open it up myself, i figured it would have been a software issue that could simply be resolved. i would get someone who can open it to check for me though
dont bother. sounds more like you need to get it rma'd. i know companys are not supposed to void the warranty if you open it but they may claim that and you are out of luck unless you put up one heck of a fight.

System Name Lenovo ThinkCentre
Processor AMD 5650GE
Motherboard Lenovo
Memory 32 GB DDR4
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Mouse Lenovo
Keyboard Lenovo
Software W11 Pro 64 bit

Sounds like this issue

bringme_115

I wanna thank everyone who took time out to reply. I solved the problem with a very easy solution...... i simply plugged the laptop directly into the wall rather than into the surge protector. Ive always used my laptops plugged it so it totally escaped my mind to try it out on the battery. If anyone hasnt tried that, id say try it because a faulty surge protector was the last thing id have ever thought was the problem.

D

Deleted member 205776

"Surge protectors" caused me a lot of power supply issues. Plugging it into an UPS instead solved everything.