• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What AMD Didn't Tell Us: 21.4.1 Drivers Improve Non-Gaming Power Consumption By Up To 72%

las

System Name Meh
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Tomahawk
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit
Memory 32GB G.Skill @ 6000/CL30
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX 4090 Phantom / Undervolt + OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB + WD SN850X 1TB + 64TB NAS/Server
Display(s) 27" 1440p IPS @ 360 Hz + 32" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 240 Hz + 77" 4K/UHD QD-OLED @ 144 Hz VRR
Case Fractal Design North XL
Audio Device(s) FiiO DAC
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x / Native 12VHPWR
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight + Razer Deathadder V3 Pro
Keyboard Corsair K60 Pro / MX Low Profile Speed
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
so salty bruh
Salty, why? :laugh: Simply the truth

Here we go again with the AMD = bad, nVidia = sun shines out of its ass everyday. Now that this MINOR problem of increased power consumption has been identified i'm sure it will be resolved in the 21.4.2 or 21.5.1 driver update so no need to have a mental breakdown over it, move on.

Nah AMD is not bad but their drivers are wonky, they seem to focus mostly on games that gets benchmarked often - most early access titles run way worse on AMD, so does lesser known games. Had a 5700XT for most of 2020...

Last edited:
Waste of power isn't a minor problem. And AMD had quite bad non gaming power numbers long after Nvidia imroved theirs. These days there is no good reason why AMD has worse numbers tham Nvidia.

Yes it is a minor problem, it's not a danger to life or anything close to it. A slight increase in power consumption doesn't stop you from using a computer in any way. It doesn't stop you from gaming, watching youtube, looking at webpages and idling away on a desktop. All it does mean it takes more power to do all those things. It seems more to be driver related than anything else and it will be resolved really soon.

Salty, why? :laugh: Simply the truth

Nah AMD is not bad but their drivers are wonky, they seem to focus mostly on games that gets benchmarked often - most early access titles run way worse on AMD, so does lesser known games. Had a 5700XT for most of 2020...

Agreed the software side of AMD GPUs have always been up and down over the years.

Processor Intel E6600 @ 3.8GHz (475 x 8)
Motherboard GigaByte 965P-DQ6
Cooling Scythe Infinity - Dual fan Mod
Memory 2GB | G.SKILL F2-6400PHU1-1GBHZ R @ 1GHz
Video Card(s) MSI 8800GTX 575/1800
Storage GigaByte i-RAM / WD Raptor 10K / Maxtor Barracuda 7200RPM
Display(s) Matrox TripleHead2GO 3800x1024
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) HD Audio onboard
Power Supply BFG 650 watt
Software Windows 2003 Server Standard
Multi monitor power consumption stays high because the gddr is running in the high power profile so it can refresh between sync frames.

Two cards running a single monitor each is a better experience and uses ~40% less idle (2d) power.

AMD and nvidia need to address that another way.

PS: HMB didn't have this problem but it did suffer from multi monitor stability issues, related?

RIckyXDs

Yes it is a minor problem, it's not a danger to life or anything close to it. A slight increase in power consumption doesn't stop you from using a computer in any way. It doesn't stop you from gaming, watching youtube, looking at webpages and idling away on a desktop. All it does mean it takes more power to do all those things. It seems more to be driver related than anything else and it will be resolved really soon.

Agreed the software side of AMD GPUs have always been up and down over the years.
I think It is because the Ryzen Mobile 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 series has battery drain issue when you install APU Drivers and Radeon Software is running in background. If you close Radeon Software you can increase Ryzen's mobile battery by 100% or in others words Double the battery autonomy.

I test the Ryzen 5 2500U, Ryzen 5 3500u and Ryzen 5 4600H... If you install any APU driver, and close manually Radeon Software in task manager, you can Double battery duration

And when Microsoft Release surface laptop 4 and it's battery autonomy is high than any other laptop with Ryzen Chip I think that my point could be correct!

Radeon Software had a drain battery bug! but the bug does not exist and the effect was chained

Processor Intel E6600 @ 3.8GHz (475 x 8)
Motherboard GigaByte 965P-DQ6
Cooling Scythe Infinity - Dual fan Mod
Memory 2GB | G.SKILL F2-6400PHU1-1GBHZ R @ 1GHz
Video Card(s) MSI 8800GTX 575/1800
Storage GigaByte i-RAM / WD Raptor 10K / Maxtor Barracuda 7200RPM
Display(s) Matrox TripleHead2GO 3800x1024
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) HD Audio onboard
Power Supply BFG 650 watt
Software Windows 2003 Server Standard
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 9950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
What about Linux users? When will we have the benefit?
You probably already do.

The AMD drivers on linux are OSS and massively better than the closed source equivalents.

System Name R36XT RX6800
Processor Amd Ryzen 5 3600XT
Motherboard MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 240mm AiO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory Adata XPG Gammix D10 32GB (2x 16GB) @3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon™ RX 6800
Storage ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB, m2 860 2 TB, SG Pro 1TB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ1B 27" QHD VA Curved Monitor
Case Lian Li Lancool II Gaming Case - Black
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1
Power Supply Gigabyte AORUS P750GM 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310 eSports Mouse, Steelseries XAI Ruse Edition
Keyboard Razer Chroma Ornata
Software Win 10 Pro
did you report it through amd software? i did. and i know one other did. the more who report this issue the sooner it gets fixed. you can't complain unless you do the bug report tool in amd software.
I think everybody who has this problems reported with every driver release! They get to many reports to check or they don't care. I did report btw;)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think everybody who has this problems reported with every driver release! They get to many reports to check or they don't care. I did report btw;)

you need to update your system specs.

TPU , Can you check CRU in multi-monitor ? for at least 6800 series.some claims they gain lower memory clock by using CRU

I'm not an expert at CRU but I have used it before... this is interesting... you may be right there may be a way to do this and fix the memory clock issue with CRU, I am not savvy enough with the timings though to do such a thing.

jrzanolini

Haven't updated yet but hopefully the issue with memory clocks unable to idle with a 144hz display have been resolved. Other than that my Aorus Master version of the 6800XT has been one of the most stable, non-issue GPUs I've ever owned. It crushes every game out there and it does so quietly with low power consumption.
The problem is caused by how your monitor handles screen synchronization. Screens with synchronization other than the CVT standard tend to present this problem:

- SOLUTION: Create a custom resolution (144, 165 or the maximum display standard of your monitor) using AMD software, and choose the type of CVT synchronization.

There, your memory will return to normal operating patterns.

How about fixing 165hz refresh on monitors, memory clock stays at full speed! Changing to 144 fixes the problem!
The problem is caused by how your monitor handles screen synchronization. Screens with synchronization other than the CVT standard tend to present this problem:

- SOLUTION: Create a custom resolution (144, 165 or the maximum display standard of your monitor) using AMD software, and choose the type of CVT synchronization.

System Name R36XT RX6800
Processor Amd Ryzen 5 3600XT
Motherboard MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 240mm AiO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory Adata XPG Gammix D10 32GB (2x 16GB) @3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon™ RX 6800
Storage ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB, m2 860 2 TB, SG Pro 1TB
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ1B 27" QHD VA Curved Monitor
Case Lian Li Lancool II Gaming Case - Black
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1
Power Supply Gigabyte AORUS P750GM 750W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310 eSports Mouse, Steelseries XAI Ruse Edition
Keyboard Razer Chroma Ornata
Software Win 10 Pro
you need to update your system specs.
What did you mean by updating system specs?
Fixed :D

Just done that, and i've got nice gray flickering image on my display - ASUS VG27WQ1B !

Last edited:

Setting as custom resolution as you suggested makes everything micro stutter and added a weird grain to my monitor (LG 27GN850).