• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Addlink S95 2 TB

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
The Addlink S95 is based on the ultra-fast Phison E18 controller paired with Micron 96-layer 3D TLC flash. Support for the PCI-Express 4.0 interface means that this drive is fast. In our testing, we saw transfer rates of up to 7 GB/s, making the S95 one of the fastest SSDs we ever tested.

Show full review

$470

I expected less from a lesser know brand. I can get 980 Pro or even the newer Aorus 7000s for cheaper.
Even the PM9A1 (980 Pro's OEM variant) is under 400.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
No heatsink and overpriced, why is this recommended? Addlink has been a lower end brand name in past, even though this by no means uses a low end controller, other brands offer the same thing in a better shape for less $$.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair MP600 Pro LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
"Addlink mentioned Chia cryptomining as a reason for high pricing now"

I will let the online pricing dictate..................

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Why are they charging top dollar for unexciting Micron 96L NAND? There's nothing wrong with an E18 controller and the same old commodity NAND we've seen in countless drives for years now but it's mediocre, average, acceptable, unexceptional.

Certainly nothing there at all to justify the pricing which is around double what it should be....

Certainly nothing there at all to justify the pricing which is around double what it should be....
Hold that though...
making the S95 one of the fastest SSDs we ever tested.
And the tests back that up.

@Chrispy_
You were saying?

Addlink has a premium product and they know it. They can demand a premium price because they can deliver premium performance. It's Economics 101...

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I guess I see that performance/$ is pretty much the worst thing in the charts, yet it's not the undisputed performance chart topper and it's within margin of error to a whole bunch of other drives, some of which are old, and cheap, and half the price.

If you want the best, W1zzard's charts show similarly-performing options for less money.
If you want the best performance/$ this thing is atrociously bad.

An E18 controller means this is a high-performance drive, but it's not special.

Hold that though...

And the tests back that up.

@Chrispy_
You were saying?

Addlink has a premium product and they know it. They can demand a premium price because they can deliver premium performance. It's Economics 101...
Does not win in any metric. Does not use the latest 176 layer TLC flash. Does not have heatsink. Does not have extended endurance rating.
No. It is not premium by any standard. Using E18 does not automatically mean that it's normal to ask nearly 500 bucks when rest of the package is lacking.

Does not win in any metric. Does not use the latest 176 layer TLC flash. Does not have heatsink. Does not have extended endurance rating.
No. It is not premium by any standard. Using E18 does not automatically mean that it's normal to ask nearly 500 bucks when rest of the package is lacking.
So you are calling W1zzard a fraud? That's what you're saying effectively..

So you are calling W1zzard a fraud? That's what you're saying effectively..
No i am not. Dont put words in my mouth. I have zero problems with the review. Even the conclusion states it being expensive as one of the cons. Not once does the review state that it's "premium" like you put it.

It's you who simply took the performance results from the review and then proceeded to call it a "premium product" and justifiying its high price (something the review never did) you said "They can demand a premium price because they can deliver premium performance" wich is BS obviously since the drive does nothing exceptional compared to others that use the same controller but cost less.

No i am not. Dont put words in my mouth.
Then don't make that implication.
I have zero problems with the review.
Good.
Even the conclusion states it being expensive as one of the cons.
Price has nothing to do with performance. At ALL, full stop.
Not once does the review state that it's "premium" like you put it.
Sure it does, how did you miss the performance numbers?
It's you who simply took the performance results from the review and then proceeded to call it a "premium product"
Yes, true. That's what I call a product that performs like a top tier product. Premium performance makes it a premium product. Simple logic. I think I read that in a book somewhere...
justifying its high price
Yes, and? Are you saying that a Geforce RTX 3090, being a top tier GPU on the market, can not justify the premium price one can expect to pay to get one? If you're trying to say that, you need to wake up to reality.
(something the review never did)
Never said it did.
you said "They can demand a premium price because they can deliver premium performance" wich is BS obviously since the drive does nothing exceptional compared to others that use the same controller but cost less.
You need to re-read the review and pay more attention to the performance numbers. Why? Because you're missing something...

Just stop. Your excuses to justify it's price are absurd and unfounded. And like i said before the review does not say premium. Not once. This is purely your flawed interpertation.

Price has EVERYTHING to do with performance. To use your 3090 example - if it was not the fastest gaming graphics card in the world do you thing it would cost 1500-4000?
Ofcourse not. It does because it is the fastest. Therefore performance dictates the price.

Its sad that you consider these numbers as something magical and never before seen. This drive does not even top the chart in limited selection that the reviewer has run. Much less beat other drives that use higher layer count NAND that are not tested here (yet).

The only one that needs to stop here is you, before you embarrass yourself even more with your absurd arguments and reading between the lines.

Just stop. Your excuses to justify it's price are absurd and unfounded.
Oh, ok. :rolleyes::kookoo:
This is purely your flawed interpretation.
Your deeply flawed opinion..(spell check much?)
Price has EVERYTHING to do with performance.
How so? Does price determine how many MB per second the drive can read or write? Does price determine random read or random write access times? Hmm? Please help us all understand your logic..
The only one that needs to stop here is you, before you embarrass yourself even more with your absurd arguments and reading between the lines.
Irony much? Look in a mirror while saying that..

Last edited:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Interesting
@Chrispy_
You were saying?

Identical overall performance, 10c/GB cheaper - so almost half the price.

Interesting

Identical overall performance, 10c/GB cheaper - so almost half the price.
You're comparing Hynix TLC to Micron TLC? Think about that for a moment..