• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Akko Black & Pink 3098 ASA

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
The Akko 3098 Black & Pink ASA has many quality of life improvements over previous Akko keyboards reviewed here, including hot-swappable switch sockets, custom 1st-party switches, noise-dampening foam, and a unique keycap profile—these are the cake layers underneath the icing that is the black and pink keycap set.

Show full review

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@VSG have you ever tried KAT or MT3 profile keycaps? I've always been interested in the higher profile keycaps and if there were more colour choices available, I probably would've ordered a couple MT3 keycaps set.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@VSG have you ever tried KAT or MT3 profile keycaps? I've always been interested in the higher profile keycaps and if there were more colour choices available, I probably would've ordered a couple MT3 keycaps set.
Not yet, always been interested but never had the chance. SA/ASA/GK2 profiles are the highest profile keycaps I have tried to date.

I have /dev/tty on my Novatouch. They very fine for typing. And everything else too really.

But make sure your keyboard/switches really follow cherry MX spacing and stem size to the fraction of millimeter.

Also not sure about QC today, but first one I got was crap, majority of letters was tilted to left or right and quite visibly so. I got replacement from them (for free) which was a bit better, but still far from perfect. I had it pre-ordered almost from moment it was announced.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
What really grinds my gears is the use of loud switches. I could live with the tiny Enter, I can handle the lack of a volume wheel or a backlight and I find this layout to be almost perfect, but the switches.... what the hell, are we going back to the 80's and keyboards which wake up the neighbors? Ones on the other side of the road of course.
Logitech made a near-silent, mechanical, backlit keyboard with extensive macro ability many years ago, called it the G710+ and I would marry it if I could - in all honesty, I spend more conscious time with my keyboard than with my wife, as most people do nowadays - but it's too wide to be perfect, I like them slim (and yes, it's a fat joke).
If anyone forces this Akko keyboard to have a child with the G710+ I will pay whatever the price would be for the offspring.
I guess it's time to dive into the cruel world of DIY keyboards.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
What really grinds my gears is the use of loud switches. I could live with the tiny Enter, I can handle the lack of a volume wheel or a backlight and I find this layout to be almost perfect, but the switches.... what the hell, are we going back to the 80's and keyboards which wake up the neighbors? Ones on the other side of the road of course.
Logitech made a near-silent, mechanical, backlit keyboard with extensive macro ability many years ago, called it the G710+ and I would marry it if I could - in all honesty, I spend more conscious time with my keyboard than with my wife, as most people do nowadays - but it's too wide to be perfect, I like them slim (and yes, it's a fat joke).
If anyone forces this Akko keyboard to have a child with the G710+ I will pay whatever the price would be for the offspring.
I guess it's time to dive into the cruel world of DIY keyboards.
This is not really a loud keyboard at all, not sure where you got that impression. If anything, between the tactile switches and the foam pad, it is one of the quieter mechanical keyboards on the market. You can even replace the switches with a silent switch if you prefer going further down that road.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
the switch pins clip looks last longer and easier to install

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
This is not really a loud keyboard at all, not sure where you got that impression. If anything, between the tactile switches and the foam pad, it is one of the quieter mechanical keyboards on the market. You can even replace the switches with a silent switch if you prefer going further down that road.
My apologies, I somehow managed to miss the part about switches being swappable. In the review you mention that a user can potentially mod in backlighting, and, as a custom keyboard novice, I'd like to ask what would such action require? When I buy it (it's out of stock now) what would the steps be to convert it to a single color backlit, maybe brown switch equipped keyboard? There seem to be LED pads on the board and the Akko shop mentions soldering LEDs, so am I correct to assume it's enough to just solder in some 3mm LEDs and get keycaps with translucent legends? Which begs another question: Are the keycaps standard size or does the 96% layout require another size? I didn't find a mention of non-standard keycap size, so I could just solder some LEDs, use a bag of silent switches if I find the included ones offensive and transplant the keycaps from my beloved G710+? You mentioned the MCU supports basic backlighting and I only want single color with brightness control, nothing fancy - is there a keyboard shortcut for controlling brightness or would I have to find alternative firmware of sorts?.
Please excuse all the basic questions, but you are far more intimate with this particular product and the general category than anyone I know of, and this information might be useful for someone else looking for a compact keyboard.

//EDIT: I did some research today and answered some of my questions:
-I asked the Akko store support about the LED mod - no answer yet, but it's Sunday today so I did not expect any, At this point I know that the best choice for this keyboard would be 1.8mm LEDs but I still don't know about the firmware compatibility with the mod.
-If you want to dive into mechanical keyboards, check out the Kono store "articles" page. They have some articles about about hardware compatibility. And there are compatibility nuances, like I wanted to use cheap Kalith box brown switches but they're only compatible with SMD LEDs which this board can't use unless I drill a 3mm hole where the LED pads are and solder SMD LEDs over the holes, a pain in the backside.
-At this point it seems that my old keycaps from the G710+ will mostly work fine, which is great since I'm so used to them.

Sorry for the "sort of" off-topic derail, but the longer I think about this keyboard the more I see it as a near perfect gateway drug into mechanical keyboard madness.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
^Ah not sure how I missed your questions but glad you got the answers. Yes, you need 1.8 mm LEDs that are going to be switch mounted through the PCB and soldered to the pads there. The PCB and microcontroller already support backlighting, so the solder job will do. I recommend single color LEDs since I am not 100% sure about RGB LED control here, and refer to this video for a quick demo of the LED mod:

FYI I do need to let you know that some of your old keycaps won't work here, especially R.shift as well as R. Alt, Fn, and R. Ctrl as well as 0 on the numpad. These are all shorter here than on your G710+. I would recommend getting a keyboard that has the keycaps you already like, just search for Akko 3098 if you like the Akko style, or one of many different keycap sets Akko makes as well.

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
^Ah not sure how I missed your questions but glad you got the answers. Yes, you need 1.8 mm LEDs that are going to be switch mounted through the PCB and soldered to the pads there. The PCB and microcontroller already support backlighting, so the solder job will do. I recommend single color LEDs since I am not 100% sure about RGB LED control here, and refer to this video for a quick demo of the LED mod:

FYI I do need to let you know that some of your old keycaps won't work here, especially R.shift as well as R. Alt, Fn, and R. Ctrl as well as 0 on the numpad. These are all shorter here than on your G710+. I would recommend getting a keyboard that has the keycaps you already like, just search for Akko 3098 if you like the Akko style, or one of many different keycap sets Akko makes as well.
Thank you. Sadly, Akko doesn't seem to manufacture keycaps with translucent legends compatible this particular keyboard, but the manual has some references to the backlit version, so who knows, maybe they will come. As it is, I'm fine with a few keys not being backlit for now - or none at all, backlighting is kind of aa optional "quality of life" improvement since I can type blindly and I really like this layout with slight separation between the main cluster, arrows and numpad.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thank you. Sadly, Akko doesn't seem to manufacture keycaps with translucent legends compatible this particular keyboard, but the manual has some references to the backlit version, so who knows, maybe they will come. As it is, I'm fine with a few keys not being backlit for now - or none at all, backlighting is kind of aa optional "quality of life" improvement since I can type blindly and I really like this layout with slight separation between the main cluster, arrows and numpad.
There are plenty of other keycap sets that cater to the 96% layout, since the different keycaps are also used on a few other form factors (65%, 75%, 80%). Maybe look at the Epomaker website and send them an email for suggestions.

Processor 9600k
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
VR HMD HTC Vive
(...) Maybe look at the Epomaker website and send them an email for suggestions.
I will do exactly that, thank you yet again for the suggestion.

Reactions: VSG