• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Building a Keyboard 4: Epomaker GK61XS, Akko Carbon Retro Keycaps, Kailh BOX Switches

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Join me as we build a keyboard again! Today, we use a 60% case made out of real wood from Epomaker and pair it with Akko's ASA profile Carbon Retro PBT keycap set. I also cover in detail my personal favorite mechanical switch design by going over five different Kailh BOX switches.

Show full review

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
This is great. You got me interested in custom or semi-custom mechanical keyboards and I strongly dislike you for that.
Seriously tough, I got the Akko 3098 (the "Ocean Blue" version with horribly loud blue v2 switches, since the black hotswap version is out of stock), soldered LEDs, transplanted keycaps from my old Logitech G710+ and I'm surprisingly happy with the result, even if the cat decided to sleep somewhere else and my wife comments about my typing speed which she can estimate while sleeping two rooms from me, thanks to the blue switches. Now I want something silent and I hit the wall known as "keycaps". I want ones with transparent legends and there seem to be basically none. You either get the blinding "pudding" ones or non-transparent, of which there really is a great choice. And don't even think about getting something crazy like XDA profile keycaps with transparent legends. Epomaker store support directed me towards Aliexpress, which is a very polite way of saying "go f*ck yourself".
Either way, thank you and screw you for making me spend a few nights researching keycaps.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This is great. You got me interested in custom or semi-custom mechanical keyboards and I strongly dislike you for that.
Seriously tough, I got the Akko 3098 (the "Ocean Blue" version with horribly loud blue v2 switches, since the black hotswap version is out of stock), soldered LEDs, transplanted keycaps from my old Logitech G710+ and I'm surprisingly happy with the result, even if the cat decided to sleep somewhere else and my wife comments about my typing speed which she can estimate while sleeping two rooms from me, thanks to the blue switches. Now I want something silent and I hit the wall known as "keycaps". I want ones with transparent legends and there seem to be basically none. You either get the blinding "pudding" ones or non-transparent, of which there really is a great choice. And don't even think about getting something crazy like XDA profile keycaps with transparent legends. Epomaker store support directed me towards Aliexpress, which is a very polite way of saying "go f*ck yourself".
Either way, thank you and screw you for making me spend a few nights researching keycaps.
Haha have fun, it's a rabbit hole so be careful on the way down.