• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Core i9-12900K E-Cores Only Performance

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Energy aside, I think it's revealing how you can get half the performance with 1/16th of the die area.

it has no impact at least for a desktop, and i assume if they packed all the area off a normal CPU with just e cores with would become a furnace

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
it has no impact at least for a desktop, and i assume if they packed all the area off a normal CPU with just e cores with would become a furnace
Oh, I didn't mean to imply they should have gone all E cores. I said it was revealing wrt the complexity of scaling performance.

Thank you for the article, however I have to question the results for the i7-6700K CPU.
I mean....what's going on there, why so ridiculously crappy performance from this i7?
Surelly the CPU is old, but not that old for an i7.
Did you use a completely different system to test th 6700K one? With cheap RAMs?
The CPU is underperforming big time.
Actually 6700K is performing as it should!
We used to offer basic i3 10100 to all costumers asking for 6700K used systems not only because i3 10100 was slightly better than 6700K but also because of upgradability path. Nonetheless i3 10100 is better.
So ‍♂️

btb

I love how 8 downclocked P-cores with hyperthreading disabled beats the 5800X in gaming, while having similar power usage. That bodes well for the competitiveness of the 6P cores i5-12400 once it gets relased.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 4080 RTX SUPER FE 16G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO, 2TB SN850X, 2TB DC P4600, 1TB 860 EVO, 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-9
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
E cores works out to about 18% worse power draw for 47.8% higher multi thread performance per die space area roughly based on w1zzard's charts at least on the power draw and performance. I think that's pretty damn good in the context of things. Intel could've made a 5P 20E chip and would have been insanely powerful at multi-thread performance relative to dollar cost. The power drawn would've gone up a bit further, but you'd have more E core clusters for individual E core multipliers instead of 2 it would be 5 different clusters of E cores and multipliers that you could scale while the P cores could still be scaled individually.

You'll get a cleaner sweep of frequency scaling to power efficiency with more clusters of E cores with multipliers that can be finely adjusted. I can't say how they'll be stock, but as a consumer you'll have the option to tweak them to taste and price will be the only relevant concern in regard to that. Right now you can only adjust 2 individual E core clusters multipliers, but they could easily have as many as 5 in future iteration of the same design. I have to wonder if maybe they should've gone with a 2:1 ratio on the E cores, but it doesn't matter at this stage, but if they insert a mid core it should be 2:1 and maybe 1HT as a in between the P and E cores.

At that point they could rename them H/M/L cores for high/mid/low where high core is 1C 2HT, mid 2C 1HT, and low is 4C 0HT and frequency scales downward linearly along with some of the instruction set differences. The advantage of the mid core is you could fit two of those in place of a low core and thus double the CPU multiplier granularity further to fine tune efficiency. The most power hungry cores would have the highest granularity control over CPU multipliers, but worst efficiency relative to die space occupied when pushed due to a higher peak frequency however they would have the most optimal efficiency when reduced to the base frequency of the low core chip die's.

There is actually room for Intel to put 1P and surround it with 8E cores and have room left over for 1P give or take die space for EDRAM/HBM or to expand upon the already present iGPU in place with the 12900K. Honestly arranging it in such a way would make sense put the P core in the center and 8E cores around it with their own multipliers. The E cores could power and temperature regulate clock wise around the P core so it could turbo constantly at a good frequency while running cool at the same time. You'd also have a ton of multi-threaded performance and if you needed even more drop the P core down to the base frequency of the E cores and overclock those a nudge.
This is the real strength of this architecture.

It allows more efficiency for highly threaded workloads (silicon space efficiency), and also allows for per core performance. All the concerns I have posted I will hope will be ironed out in future generations, software issues will be temporary.

If Intel marketing team get this right they can release products designed for different use cases so e.g. 2+20 configuration for content creators, 8+0 for gamers, 8+8 or 8+4 for mix of both, 2+2 or 2+4 for laptops etc.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
In my opinion i think were going to extremes here, i think it's promissing concept and could be improved, the power draw has it's own context, could be a deal breaker or not a problem at all.
But i also don't think it wont be easy to get this past AMD, or marketing it so easily because by now the tables are turned, people know Intel are the CPU's to avoid in general terms and AMD the ones to get.
And the average consumer is not making excell spreadshets to see if for what they do it's best a 8+0, 8+4 or whatever. And the "500w monster" stays as a headline for people that don't want to read the small print.

Their best bet is price just like they did with the 10400 and keep improving on it

There seems to be some mischief with the single threaded energy efficiency chart. How come that the E-Cores are much more efficient than P-Cores? According to the figures in this review, in SuperPI the power consumption is comparable and the P-Cores are considerably faster in this particular test.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
There seems to be some mischief with the single threaded energy efficiency chart. How come that the E-Cores are much more efficient than P-Cores? According to the figures in this review, in SuperPI the power consumption is comparable and the P-Cores are considerably faster in this particular test.

It's quite likely that these tests with disabled P-cores don't give an accurate picture of their efficiency. All kinds of things can go wrong here from a power perspective and the assumption that disabled p-cores reflects only the e-cores, like portions of the chip still active even with the p-cores disabled. Keep in mind disabling cores was there for compatibility issues, not to make assumptions on power efficiency.

To illustrate, run the tests with just P-Cores, then run the tests with just E-cores, subtract the two results and you might maybe isolate the cores. That wasn't done, so really not a whole lot can be inferred (on power).

I personally looked at the review as an analysis of performance of the E-cores, not power efficiency analysis.

It's quite likely that these tests with disabled P-cores don't give an accurate picture of their efficiency. All kinds of things can go wrong here from a power perspective and the assumption that disabled p-cores reflects only the e-cores, like portions of the chip still active even with the p-cores disabled. Keep in mind disabling cores was there for compatibility issues, not to make assumptions on power efficiency.

To illustrate, run the tests with just P-Cores, then run the tests with just E-cores, subtract the two results and you might maybe isolate the cores. That wasn't done, so really not a whole lot can be inferred (on power).

I personally looked at the review as an analysis of performance of the E-cores, not power efficiency analysis.
That might all be true, but I was simply referring to the figures presented in this review. Allegedly, the single threaded power efficiency should be based on the SuperPI test. In this test, the P-Cores are much more performant than the E-Cores. The power draw in this test is about the same for both P and E-Cores. Based on those results the P-Cores should be a lot more efficient in this particular test, yet, the figure of power efficiency for SuperPI shows opposite result. It does not make sense to me.

Raptor Cove cores replace Golden Cove : +IPC, +200Mhz boost, larger L2 cache, DLVR for higher performance/lower power, faster official DDR5 support (5600), and more E cores - at least that is the current leak.

The efficiency cores (Gracemont) will be the same uArch, just more of them.

DLVR and the doubling of number of E cores makes this worth waiting for. I think AMD will have a hard time convincing me to transition to AM4 or TR based on this. I wish AMD would've done more with TR a few years back at this point it's probably too little too late unless they absolutely surprise me with something bold and much more cost effective than TR has been to this point. I don't think AM4 has enough left in the tank however not until a die shrink and they'll have moved away from DDR4 by that point in time I feel which I'm already set on reusing on my next build.

The DLVR is great and doubling E cores will absolutely help not just multi-core performance further, but it can help with efficiency in turn with more CPU multipliers to scale. I'm telling you now though Intel could use a mid-core die chip with 2C 1HT that sits between a P core and E core and has AVX512 with a frequency between the two. That is one of the next logical steps to this scaling design. Intel could drop 4 P cores and insert 8 of those types of cores in place of them and further boost efficiency and multi-core performance. You'd get more reliable performance at the same time in workloads that do actually depend on AVX512 or ones that do show some upside to HT.

Instead of a 12900K Intel could do something more akin to the following 4P cores 1C 2HT AVX512, 8M cores 2C 1HT AVX512, 16E cores 16C 0HT no AXV512. The P cores would be highest frequency, M cores mid frequency, and E cores lowest frequency. It would be a good practical blend and continuation. I think later on if they were to add a 4th lower frequency core they could insert HT, but still drop the AVX512. I think it would be good for highly parallel I/O workloads that still benefit from HT yet don't require a lot of frequency or AVX512 at the same time.

One more thing Intel could do with bigLITTLE is start doing the same with the iGPU they should create a bigLITTLE iGPU. Some people would probably cringe at that, but I think it would be quite good potentially and particularly well suited to get higher GPU performance at higher resolutions which is where iGPU's struggle the most. It wouldn't be too dissimilar to what Lucid Hydra was trying to do, but with all the janky latency of attempting it while bottle-necked by the NB latency that obviously Intel doesn't have to worry about integrated into the CPU itself.

I think this is a spot where Raja could redeem his reputation over VEGA if it went well. Think of it this way too a scene renders and the the far distance LOD details start to pop in a little bit more slowly common enough scenario right!!? Slight delay and the end user can live with it even if it isn't quite perfectly ideal. Seems like a perfect example of where to apply a LITTLE iGPU core to render the far distance scene detail a bit less aggressively while the closer more near draw distance the big core tackles. It's a good way to handle lighting and shading as well let the LITTLE cores handle of the weaker of the two variable rate lighting or shading in the far LOD distance while the more capable one handles the closer details.

That might all be true, but I was simply referring to the figures presented in this review. Allegedly, the single threaded power efficiency should be based on the SuperPI test. In this test, the P-Cores are much more performant than the E-Cores. The power draw in this test is about the same for both P and E-Cores. Based on those results the P-Cores should be a lot more efficient in this particular test, yet, the figure of power efficiency for SuperPI shows opposite result. It does not make sense to me.
4 to 1 ratio give or take within the same die space area roughly makes perfect sense to me. Yeah the E cores die for die when comparing 1C to 1C aren't going to be as efficient, but why would anyone measure it that way in the first place!!?

Also you can reduce the multipliers and frequency on the E cores and make them more efficient or less efficient in a comparison like that provided you aren't measuring IPC efficiency at 1C at the same clock frequency between both you can make the E cores more efficient or less efficient in relationship to the P cores and vice verse. It's just like the music saying goes it's not the instrument it's how you use it. I mean 18% higher power draw for 47.8% higher peak performance per die space area says enough about the E cores efficiency and performance.

How is that tough to grasp really that's a good figure less than 1/4 additional power draw for about 1/2 more performance within the same die space yeah not bad and especially considering how voltage is squared. The whole point is not needlessly jacking up frequency too drastically along with voltage along with all the added heat that further makes you jack up the voltage and is a losing battle that won't scale linearly it gets progressively more difficult and inefficient look at the P cores and overclocking them it's like rolling coal ffs it ain't pretty how much power draw is required for a meager 100MHz higher frequency at that end of the spectrum.

They give the performance of a 3600X, while using more power.

These E-cores that specifically exist exclusively for one goal of power efficiency, are outdone by last gen budget products by the competition in both power consumption and performance.

View attachment 226154
View attachment 226155

I like the concept. I like the goal.

But these are still power hungry monsters, and do not achieve what they pretend to be... they're just a method to pad the core count and multi threading results, without needing 500W CPU's.

They are neither low power, high performance, or energy efficient.

View attachment 226156
How fair a comparison is this to draw however!? You're trying to compare a 129000K's E cores only to a 3300X and 3900X I mean show some integrity. You do realize you can drop the multipliers on the P cores to match the frequency on the E cores. You have to consider the die space area. You're pretty much comparing a damn 7nm dual P cores Pentium's die space against a 3300x and 3900x.

In terms of the die space occupied Intel could feasibly cram 40E cores roughly into a 12900K or 36E cores with a single P core. In fact Intel dropping the iGPU could insert 40E cores with 1P core or 44E cores with no P cores within the same chip space. The ring bus would probably be a complex matter far as that goes, but it's feasible if they wanted to put the R&D into making it happen.

Also the 129000K has PCIE 5.0 while those other chips are PCIE 4.0 plus DDR5 capable even though at this point DDR5 expensive for is mediocre upside and not something I'd entertain myself, but given some time and cost reduction and the tables will turn these chips will still be around in a year or two and probably discounted a bit so down the road comparing both should little a little different narrative wise.

Alder Lake and bigLITTLE now is similar to when Ryzen was first introduced. It isn't perfect, but give it 2 or 3 more iterations and bigLITTLE will have improved by so much more. I've already talked about pretty decent number of ways they can improve upon it and I'm sure Intel is thinking about even more it's quite clear it's here to stay and will continue to evolve. We've moved beyond simply multiplying core count further towards additional cores with different performance characteristics and considerations it's progress.

Not everyone is happy about that, but it's logical path of progression when chips are thermally limited it's the only way around the problem pacing the heat output is the key to more performance on demand. This is exactly what Intel should've done in this scenario and needed to do and if anything should have been more aggressively pursuing it. I wish that Intel would've just had 1 or 2 P cores on the 12900K and the rest E cores.

As I've been saying a mid core is something I see as a needed stepping stone to make the whole thing smoother a 2C 1HT mid frequency chip die cluster that also has AVX512. Slightly slower P core, but twice as many with half the HT while retaining AVX512 and lowering frequency a nudge.

The quirks and I think those can be worked out in due time pretty readily maybe not as well with Alder Lake, but once a mid core gets introduced I'm convinced it will be a smooth criminal operation by the Intel monopoly.

Last edited:
System Name Room Heater Pro
Processor i9-13900KF
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Cooling Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm
Memory Kingston Renegade RGB, 32GB 2x2x16GB, DDR5, 6400MHz, CL32
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC 24GB
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade Gen.4, 4TB, NVMe, M.2.
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ, 47.5", 4K, OLED, 138Hz, 0.1 ms, G-SYNC
Case Thermaltake View 51 TG ARGB
Power Supply Asus ROG Thor, 1200W Platinum
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight 2
Keyboard Logitech G213 RGB
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 23H2
How fair a comparison is this to draw however!? You're trying to compare a 129000K's E cores only to a 3300X and 3900X I mean show some integrity. You do realize you can drop the multipliers on the P cores to match the frequency on the E cores. You have to consider the die space area. You're pretty much comparing a damn 7nm dual P cores Pentium's die space against a 3300x and 3900x.
I'm not the person you were replying to, but I think that is a fair comparasion, since Intel markets them primarily as "power efficient", not "die area efficient". I don't have a problem with the product itself. After all, I can just disable them if I don't need them or have concerns about performance issues. But Intel's marketing is a bit deceiving. You should probably ask Intel to show a bit more integrity.

Later edit: Looking at Intel's slides, they describe them as "optimised for power and density efficient throughput". So actually both power and small area are emphasised. My mistake. But, while the densitity advantage is not in question, the part about power efficiency is debatable.

Last edited:
System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
I'm not the person you were replying to, but I think that is a fair comparasion, since Intel markets them primarily as "power efficient", not "die area efficient". I don't have a problem with the product itself. After all, I can just disable them if I don't need them or have concerns about performance issues. But Intel's marketing is a bit deceiving. You should probably ask Intel to show a bit more integrity.

Minutia aside, the chips were never designed to disable cores for power reasons and as far as I know Intel has never said any such thing. That is there for compatibility with applications that don't play well with big.LITTLE architecture. May such applications, especially games, will never be patched for this.

There is actually good information to be gleaned from this article, but you have to actually dig a little deeper than the aggregate averages. When the cores are used for what they are good at - something the scheduler would have to decide - the results will differ quite a bit from aggregates. The analysis essentially forced the OS to use them for tasks they are not good at.

Reactions: bug
I don't see the problem 8E cores that lack HT being roughly on parity with a 3300X that's that's 4C with HT. Honestly that's right where it should be and a testament to the E cores doing pretty well in fact. The efficiency and performance are practically within the error of margin of each other between the E cores and the 3300X. The difference in performance and efficiency is rather minuscule.

There is a very modest advantage to the 3300X, but it also boosts to 4.3GHz rather than 3.9GHz on E cores which clearly favors the 3300X on performance however things flip a bit on energy usage and since voltage is square makes perfect sense. Things couldn't be much closer between them overall in context. So Intel can squeeze in a 3300X essentially within 1/5 of the overall chip design.

So now looking at it that way it's a little easier to see the context of why Intel Alder Lake can beat a 5950x chip which is approximately x4 the 3300X from a design standpoint. So x4 the E cores and you match x4 3300X roughly, but you've also got 1/5 of the design for a dual core pair of P cores left over within the die space. All makes perfect sense in context how Intel has managed to retake the performance edge over AMD.

The 5950x does a bit better on energy usage over the 12900K so I wonder if you drop it down to 3.6GHz base/4.9GHz boost to more closely align with the 5950x on frequency how much it changes energy usage and performance of Alder Lake relative to the 5950x. That to me would be nice to look more closely at and compare the two.

I can see why Intel sells them the way they do, but for people more concerned about the efficiency gains and trade off balance in regard to performance Alder Lake I think absolutely has room to improve with fairly minimal effort involved in various area's. The big question is how much performance would you be giving up for how much efficiency gain and how does it then measure up to the 5950x at the same time!!?

I think sacrificing a bit of peak frequency for much improve efficiency is worth pursuing. Another option drop the Intel performance down until the the energy usage is lower than that of the 5950x and then compare person will Intel still beat it or do the tables flip? I wonder how close thing really are between the two and how much of it is just where each company settled on design choices they settled on each respectively.

Later edit: Looking at Intel's slides, they describe them as "optimised for power and density efficient throughput". So actually both power and small area are emphasised. My mistake. But, while the densitity advantage is not in question, the part about power efficiency is debatable.
E cores are better for single thread on efficiency, but worse on multi-thread on efficiency while P core's are just the opposite. It makes sense in context though the E cores allow for under lesser lightly threaded/single threaded workload strains efficiency gains powering down more and that in turn that helps the P cores boost more easily and freely without thermal throttling getting in the way. In the case of more heavily multi-threaded workloads P cores aren't trying to boost as much so it improves efficiency on them.

Overall the clock for clock IPC efficiency and performance on the P cores is higher than E cores on a per core basis. What the E cores have going though is relative to die space they improve performance a lot and under less heavily multi-threaded scenario's offer lots of efficiency which translates into stronger single or lightly threaded performance out of the P cores.

Last edited:
You're just making something so simple and increase the complexity level to 100. Those E cores perform like a ryzen 5 3600, that's it.

I think that's amazing and something no one would expect, even more when they aren't clocked that high and i don't know if many of those games scale that well in all 8 cores
Complexity how could a cpu be more complex than mixing and matching big little cores . They had to write a new program just so that it would work properly. Its mostly sorted now.
Intel are like 10 times bigger than AMD im sure they could do it if they wanted too.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
Complexity how could a cpu be more complex than mixing and matching big little cores . They had to write a new program just so that it would work properly. Its mostly sorted now.
Intel are like 10 times bigger than AMD im sure they could do it if they wanted too.

just pay attention to what you're replying to.

System Name Custom build - I built it for gaming and some content creation
Processor Intel i7 12700K on air
Motherboard MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 64GB G.Skill 3600 DDR4 [16GB x 4]
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Ti SUPRIM X, power limit 75% & Mem +300
Storage SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, SSD Samsung 860 EVO 1T
Display(s) 55" Samsung Q80T 120Hz at 4K [on my desk]
Case Cooler Master 922 HAF [3rd 200mm fan in door], 10 years old & fans still run
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Platinum PX-850
Mouse Corsair M55 RGB Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H2
Benchmark Scores [GPU Score] Time Spy: 13 925 [Power Limit 75%, MEM +300, GPU Max Power 232w, Max Hot Spot 62.4C
If the P-cores were clocked down to ~2.5 GHz to achieve (more or less) performance parity with the E-cores at 3.9 GHz, what would their power consumption look like?

(I think I can guess @W1zzard 's answer: Stop giving me ideas!)

With a 100MHz OC I tweaked my BIOS and maximum watts [running IntelBurnTest & Time Spy] was ~143 with no performance loss, Intel i7 12700K. I feel that is a much better solution. With BIOS tweaking your mileage will vary though.

My favourite thing about Alder Lake is the Gracemont cores. They're marvels of semiconductor engineering.
Now combine them with a phase inverter cooler and you'd steal the spotlight at any tech show!

It's the age of E-Cores. Even the single core Celeron Mobile has 4 E-Cores :D
1665961832651.png