• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Global CPU Market Share is on the Rise, AMD Starts the Downfall

I bought TMSC, Applied materials, and AMD. I got AMD at 29. I had a 200% return total on all stocks. Until this centuries napoleon decided to start a war. And we have a pansy of a president. Now it's 100%. The stock market is a slot machine they attach to your retirement in this country. I think market share will swing back and forth as new products are released. My 2 cents worth a halt a cent due to inflation.
You don't just hodl. You buy and sell if you want to make money out of it.
Otherwise you're just hoping for a good run when you hit retirement age.

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
Using Passmark test submit data to indicate "Global CPU Market Share" ?
New CPUs came out and more users ran Passmark on their new toy = High Market Share ?
There are so many things fundamentally wrong in that logic.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
AMD dont geddit, they main customers for them are Price/Performance buyers in the entry and midrange segment even in OEM too.

That's not exactly true, there's gpu's, there's enterprise, server, they also do machine learning, AI.

But you also have a point, AMD stabbed a lot of the people that supported them when things were rough, almost bankrupt. But you gut to see.... MONEY, that's all they care. Non of those companies care about you.

if you buy and hold, best to to just buy property, you'll make more money out of it. And if wasn't Putin or covid would be something else. There's a lot of people that entered the markets recently that was under the impression market only go up, and if you use a linear graph, you can't even tell there were crashes in the the past century. It was all UP.

I bought TMSC, Applied materials, and AMD. I got AMD at 29. I had a 200% return total on all stocks. Until this centuries napoleon decided to start a war. And we have a pansy of a president. Now it's 100%. The stock market is a slot machine they attach to your retirement in this country. I think market share will swing back and forth as new products are released. My 2 cents worth a halt a cent due to inflation.
if you buy and hold, best to to just buy property, you'll make more money out of it. And if wasn't Putin or covid would be something else. There's a lot of people that entered the markets recently that was under the impression market only go up, and if you use a linear graph, you can't even tell there were crashes in the the past century. It was all UP.

Low cost broad market index funds! No silly day to day swings, very low maintenance costs and no upkeep.

That's not exactly true, there's gpu's, there's enterprise, server, they also do machine learning, AI.

But you also have a point, AMD stabbed a lot of the people that supported them when things were rough, almost bankrupt. But you gut to see.... MONEY, that's all they care. Non of those companies care about you.

One shouldn't go in a market without certain knowledge of the risks. People should really learn some basics beforehand.

Low cost broad market index funds! No silly day to day swings, very low maintenance costs and no upkeep.
That's one way to do it. Depending on the risk/reward ratio there are plenty of other options to lose money on. :D

Its only been a competitive duopoly since Zen came out and more so at Zen 2. Intel has been in the premium position for over a decade charging $500 for Quad core cpu's. Even with the market the way is it now why is AMD not allowed to do the same? They have shareholders to please that want to see an increase in ASP. I think too many people are use to AMD being the budget brand and think they should stay there. They are trying to hold market leading positions and will price accordingly. No business ever has said I want to stay in 2nd place to keep pricing low for consumers that will not grow your business.
If AMD were spelled Apple, people would be praising them for their high sensible pricing. Amazing people think this is some inferior budget brand that was just a good stop gap while Intel reinvented itself.

Zen 4 will be more than competitive with Raptor Lake and Meteor Lake won't be any where near as big an update as Zen 5 will be, which also moves to big.little. The next huge changes for Intel are Arrow Lake in 2024. Also there's nothing on any roadmap that shows any more than 8P cores from Intel out to 2025. It will be just more and more E cores and only Arrow Lake introduces new E cores, Gracemont soldiers on for RL and Meteor Lake.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
AMD doesn't give a sht about CPU desktop. each EPYC CPU provides much more profit than CPU Desktop. One EPYC 64 cores with price $7500 is equal to 25x Ryzen 5600x at price $300 but more profit.
This is the kind of blatantly ignorant attitude that requires a good smacking. Intel has massive hoards of cash on hand, AMD doesn't. Intel was literally paying Dell billions of dollars a quarter just to not use AMD processors. If people want competition then the "little guy" needs to bulk up financially period.

Processor Intel Core i3 8350K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Z370-P
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.C
Memory 12GB DDR4 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB DDR5 128bits
Storage 2TB + 2TB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 794MB
Software Tubuntu 22.04 LTS x64 + Windows 8.1 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 Single Thread: 215 points
Can't say I'm surprised. Hope Zen 4 is as monstrous as it's rumored to be and that Raptor Lake can throw hands with it.
zen 4........

:)

i vote for no,
amd didnt care since a long time for customers btween 50 150€.
who in this year is using 50€ like lololololoolol fast forward 2 years... that is a joke ... sorry he person posting it is the last to the party is sooooo red funnny like how... for real how

i mean somone his live in the less then 25% of the entire world market... and OMG HOLY st has 739 post in under 4 months ... lets be honestt this is ajoke account no one would/ should ever do what you did... x10.. plz plz let this just be a"boom" for even poor ppl of like wtf... even 200 post is a joke x 5...

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
I think AMD will fail in the short term at least, as it has simply not been aggressive enough against Intel. They had the head start on Intel for years, but as usual for AMD, they blew it buy raising their prices when they should have stayed the same to build their user base, and make cash, now their CPU's are very over priced compared to Intel's latest. AMD's situation is now that Zen4 is not going to offer enough against what Intel has coming next. Zen5 needs to be seriously good, as it will be critical for AMD in the long term.

AMD's next mistake was to not offer DDR4 support to Zen4, this will prove costly to AMD, as Intel sells many DDR4 motherboards. I, personally will not "upgrade" to DDR5 until it costs half as much as it does now, and offers a tangible performance increase, which it does not currently, and probably won't for the next 18 months.

As AMD chose not to offer DDR4 support on AM5, they should have refreshed and simplified the 5000 desktop series, such as a low-end 8 core, a mid-range 8 core CPU with 3D Cache, and a high end 16 core CPU with 3D cache, and reduced the price slightly of the low and mid-range SKUs, then they would have had a good platform to see out DDR4 that would have died naturally in a couple of years as DDR5 gets better and cheaper.

I think AMD were shell-shocked by Intel's new µarch, and simply do not have a direct answer to it. I think Zen4 is going to be a challenge to sell in high quantities, as you can build a performance equivalent Intel system using DDR4, saving considerable money compared to shelling out for a likely more expensive AM5 motherboard with high end DDR5.

But I guess time will tell. I want AMD to succeed, but they lack the killer instinct against a deadly opponent that will not hesitate to cheat and destroy to get what they want.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
AMD is doing what Intel did but without being the only one with a working product. Obviously it will go terrible wrong and i can't fell even a bit sorry for them.

There is Intel, it's competitive and cheaper so who cares.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
AMD is doing what Intel did but without being the one with a working product. Obviously it will go terrible wrong and i can't fell even a bit sorry for them.

There is Intel, it's competitive and cheaper so who cares.
You should feel sorry for them. Without AMD we would still be buying 4 core CPUs, with 8 being the high end. Competition is a good thing dude, look at the GPU market to see why.

It was borderline criminal they ignored 100-200 USD Priced CPU range. and considering that consumer base was their saviour when they were a laughing stock. They cut off themselves from one big pie of the cake, as well shown the middle finger to the core that helped them stay a float.

Wtf you talking about. You got the Ryzen 7 series (2x00) still up for sale. 2700x is still decent.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I care, since I don't want another 5 years of Skylake. It's best when companies fight, not when one goes to sleep and the other can stay up late and do what it wants.

Wait, what! When profits eventually go down, they will turn consumer friendly again. I don't think they will go anywhere. Certainly it's not a bankrupt move, it's a stupid move that's all.

Last edited:
AMD continues its war on poor people.
Alder Lake is the product of Intel needing to cook something up to battle a resurgent AMD after years of stagnation, and so they did. They hit hard. In the previous years, they didn't care about poor people, still don't, nor does AMD, or any other company. What they actually care about is constantly looking at where the competitor is lacking so they can strike there and maximize margins - see the i3-12100F. Thinking ANY company cares about the actual consumer and what their net worth is, is just naive. All these companies want is your money, and any of them will take the opportunity to sell higher priced products and even ignore the wishes of 'poor people' if the situation allows it. When it doesn't allow it, and they're forced to release actual good value products (which companies hate doing because muh profit), you get posts like these painting one company over the other in a good light when in reality none of them deserve that merit.

System Name "Run of the mill" (except GPU)
Processor R9 3900X
Motherboard ASRock X470 Taich Ultimate
Cooling Cryorig (not recommended)
Memory 32GB (2 x 16GB) Team 3200 MT/s, CL14
Video Card(s) Radeon RX6900XT
Storage Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB NVMe
Display(s) Samsung Q95T
Case Define R5
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Mouse Roccat Leadr
Keyboard K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64, insider preview dev channel
Benchmark Scores #1 worldwide on 3D Mark 99, back in the (P133) days. :)
I think "downfall" is a bit harsh/OTT/wrong. "Downtrend" maybe. Temporarily.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
The problem is the duopoly, they are playing a game of tag. The one on top just screw us and laughs to the bank, the one on the bottom is all consumer friendly. And they just keep swapping places

The problem is the duopoly, they are playing a game of tag. The one on top just screw us and laughs to the bank, the one on the bottom is all consumer friendly. And they just keep swapping places
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Alder Lake is the product of Intel needing to cook something up to battle a resurgent AMD after years of stagnation, and so they did. They hit hard. In the previous years, they didn't care about poor people, still don't, nor does AMD, or any other company. What they actually care about is constantly looking at where the competitor is lacking so they can strike there and maximize margins - see the i3-12100F. Thinking ANY company cares about the actual consumer and what their net worth is, is just naive. All these companies want is your money, and any of them will take the opportunity to sell higher priced products and even ignore the wishes of 'poor people' if the situation allows it. When it doesn't allow it, and they're forced to release actual good value products (which companies hate doing because muh profit), you get posts like these painting one company over the other in a good light when in reality none of them deserve that merit.
https://www.materiel.net/produit/202010120110.html
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X €324,95

https://www.materiel.net/produit/202112030055.html
Intel Core i5 12400F €215,95

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wtf you talking about. You got the Ryzen 7 series (2x00) still up for sale. 2700x is still decent.
Depends on the use case. It's still decent for productivity tasks - even great for the money in rendering and similar tasks - and of course it works perfectly usable for gaming too, it's just that more recent architectures absolutely trounce it in gaming and other latency-sensitive and cache-dependent applications. Just take a look at how it compares to a 5600X or 12600K (scroll down past the regular CPU tests to see gaming tests). Of course those are relatively high end chips, but especially with ADL, the lower end i5s and even i3s perform admirably in games. The 12300 and even 120100F are nipping at the 5600X's heels in TPU's testing, with even Ryzen 3000 being noticeably behind - and that generation had significant gaming performance improvements over 2000. So, AMD using Ryzen 2000 (and even the venerable 1600AF) as their budget options today leaves them out of the consideration for the vast majority of budget buyers - those wanting to build a gaming PC on a limited budget. Obviously not all PC builders are gamers, but the majority are.