• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Akko Black&Gold 3098B Keyboard

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Akko has updated its popular 3098 keyboard family with the new 3098B, which brings with it a slew of new features that make this 95% form factor all the more attractive. There are multiple wireless connectivity modes, hot-swappable switches, RGB lighting, and software drivers on top of several different colors and designs.

Show full review

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
This might be the ultimate keyboard, at least for me. I bought an Akko 3098 after you first reviewed one - only version in stock at the time was the "Ocean Star", soldered blue switches, no backlighting. I changed switches to Gateron brown, soldered LEDs, cut some foam for sound dampening and transplanted most keycaps from my old Logitech G710+ for the translucent legends. Getting used to the numpad location took some time, years of using full sized keyboards really burns into muscle memory, but after this period going back to 104 key layout seems unlikely for me.
This is a good upgrade. While I do prefer the OS-agnostic "old style" Akko macro implementation and am not all that excited about wireless - although I have to say that giving an option to avoid Bluetooth is a huge plus in my book -, such upgrades show that the company continues development of a good product.

That's mine. The keycaps are not uneven, it's just a phone camera being a phone camera, easily overwhelmed by backlight reflections.
20220225_020700.jpg

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
This might be the ultimate keyboard, at least for me. I bought an Akko 3098 after you first reviewed one - only version in stock at the time was the "Ocean Star", soldered blue switches, no backlighting. I changed switches to Gateron brown, soldered LEDs, cut some foam for sound dampening and transplanted most keycaps from my old Logitech G710+ for the translucent legends. Getting used to the numpad location took some time, years of using full sized keyboards really burns into muscle memory, but after this period going back to 104 key layout seems unlikely for me.
This is a good upgrade. While I do prefer the OS-agnostic "old style" Akko macro implementation and am not all that excited about wireless - although I have to say that giving an option to avoid Bluetooth is a huge plus in my book -, such upgrades show that the company continues development of a good product.

That's mine. The keycaps are not uneven, it's just a phone camera being a phone camera, easily overwhelmed by backlight reflections.
View attachment 237855
Yeah I am happily recommending this keyboard series to anyone who is interested in a full-size form factor. Very hard to beat this at the current price.

AsRock

TPU addict
Yeah I am happily recommending this keyboard series to anyone who is interested in a full-size form factor. Very hard to beat this at the current price.

Full size ?, don't look like it. but i guess you mean as it has the typical amount of keys of a full sized keyboard. fail for me as they moved the keys and not added more keys which i have much more interest in.

be a nightmare to game on that being a lefty.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Full size ?, don't look like it. but i guess you mean as it has the typical amount of keys of a full sized keyboard. fail for me as they moved the keys and not added more keys which i have much more interest in.

be a nightmare to game on that being a lefty.
Full-size in terms of functionality, which this 98-key unit pretty much does. Of couse it's a single bank of keys smooshed together, so it takes a bit of time to get used to the lack of gaps as well as some shorter keys.

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
keyboard casual here but that seems like a great value for the quality

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
keyboard casual here but that seems like a great value for the quality
Absolutely, it came real close to getting my Editor's Choice award too. I still can highly recommend it.

Anderich

Has anyone remapped the "home" and "end" keys on the 3098B? Is there a way to do this using Akko's software or do you need to use something third party?

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Had the 3068B and had to return it, the software was awful and the latency noticeable in all modes (including wired). It also had some YiChip MCU weirdness where if you hold down the Caps Lck button the backlight will start flickering. Maybe I'm spoiled by VIA, but I genuinely found AKKO's Cloud Driver to be atrocious, it's the same driver that's found in some other cheap Chinese hotswap boards like the Epomaker EP84 (which is why I believe it has a YiChip MCU, even with the AKKO branding).
Another thing I found quite badly thought out was the switch on the bottom of the keyboard, it made foam or silicone modding the keyboard quite annoying and it felt very flimsy to me. Additionally the way they build the keyboard, with a plastic skirt around the base is quite poor in my opinion as that plastic skirt will creak and feel quite cheap if you put pressure on it.
Also fair warning for anyone reading, the 3068B doesn't have any silicone dampening in the case (some newer batches might have it) and it sounds very hollow and clacky with AKKO CS Jelly switches.

If they improve the build quality a bit and just put a decent MCU in them, they'd be as close to perfect as a pre-built can be.

4TonMantis

Has anyone remapped the "home" and "end" keys on the 3098B? Is there a way to do this using Akko's software or do you need to use something third party?
You can use SHIFT + 7 on numpad and SHIFT + 1 for home and end. Very useful as I was missing having those keys.

Reactions: VSG
System Name Zangief (Reborn)
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 1700X @ 3.825ghz , 1.35v
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming K7 Rev 1.0 BIOS F51e
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Push / Push Config | 2x ML120 | 2x Phanteks 120 mm
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz cl 16 @ 1.45v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 +100 core / +550 mem
Storage 250 GB Samsung Evo 850 / 1tb WD Black / 4tb WD Blue / 512GB Adata XPG Pro SX8200
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU |Asus VX239H 23" AH-IPS Led
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek HD / Logitech G633/G933 Gaming Headset / Corsair H70 Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G903 and G602 Wireless Gaming | Logitech Proteus Core G502
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Red | Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry Browns | Akko 3908N TTC Flame Reds
Software Windows 11 Pro
How about the pause break key , I wanted to remap it to one of the 4 buttons above the numpad since I already have those functions in the numpad area. Is this possible ?

Oh sorry btw using a 3098N model. Same layout. Not sure about the software tho. Thanks.
I've managed to remap it using Sharpkeys an opensource app, it creates the mapping via registry tho. Unlike the provided software that can save to onboard memory.

Last edited: