• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[EOL] Arctic MX-5 is here!!Tests incoming! Completed. Now its MX-6 testing time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried with another thermal paste, same waterblock bracket and screws pressure... Passed OCCT, Cinebench, AIDA... short stress tests. Something that with this batch MX5, was not happening. I really hope to try soon a new batch of it. For you guys, how's going on the experience with MX5?

Depends on your CPU. For me MX-5 is one of the worst thermal pastes.

Depends on your CPU.
It really doesn't.
For me MX-5 is one of the worst thermal pastes.
I have yet to find even one benchmarking test done that shows anything other than MX-5 performing like an absolute champion. Go ahead, go look... If you had a bad experience with it, either you did something wrong applying it or you had a sample of that bad batch that accidentally got shipped.

If the former, you might want to chance up your application method.

If the later, you need to get in touch with Arctic to get the bad tube you have replaced with a good one.

It really doesn't.

I have yet to find even one benchmarking test done that shows anything other than MX-5 performing like an absolute champion. Go ahead, go look... If you had a bad experience with it, either you did something wrong applying it or you had a sample of that bad batch that accidentally got shipped.

If the former, you might want to chance up your application method.

If the later, you need to get in touch with Arctic to get the bad tube you have replaced with a good one.

I don't have to look, I tested all the major pastes on my notebook and in fact MX-5 runs like crap. And no I didn't do anything wrong, I can assure you MX-5 runs like crap on my notebook. It's not that I tried MX-5 like 5 times. MX-5 is way to runny, it cannot work on my laptop.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I don't have to look, I tested all the major pastes on my notebook and in fact MX-5 runs like crap. And no I didn't do anything wrong, I can assure you MX-5 runs like crap on my notebook. It's not that I tried MX-5 like 5 times. MX-5 is way to runny, it cannot work on my laptop.

Arctic recalled some of the MX-5 for not working right, sounds like you may have got that bad batch. You can get a free replacement if you contact them.

MX-5 was never runny for me, in fact just opposite, I find it to be too thick, so def sounds like you got the bad batch.

Arctic recalled some of the MX-5 for not working right, sounds like you may have got that bad batch. You can get a free replacement if you contact them.

MX-5 was never runny for me, in fact just opposite, I find it to be too thick, so def sounds like you got the bad batch.

My MX-5 is not affected from the batch issue. I bought my MX-5 very early last year, it was one of the first batches, it works as intended. As I said MX-5 is too runny, it cannot really work on my notebook because the CPU die heatsink contact is uneven and pressure is low. The viscosity of MX-5 is lower than the older MX-4 which wasn't a thick paste either. Maybe you never tried out a thick paste, that's why you think it's a thick paste. MX-5 is definitely not a thick paste unless you are affected from the batch issue.

I don't have to look, I tested all the major pastes on my notebook and in fact MX-5 runs like crap.
You are alone in that conclusion.
My MX-5 is not affected from the batch issue. I bought my MX-5 very early last year, it was one of the first batches, it works as intended.
Then you are doing something wrong.
As I said MX-5 is too runny, it cannot really work on my notebook because the CPU die heatsink contact is uneven and pressure is low.
MX-5 should NOT be runny. You have a sample of a bad batch. Contact Arctic about it, get your free replacement and quit your whining & meritless badmouthing.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
My MX-5 is not affected from the batch issue. I bought my MX-5 very early last year, it was one of the first batches, it works as intended. As I said MX-5 is too runny, it cannot really work on my notebook because the CPU die heatsink contact is uneven and pressure is low. The viscosity of MX-5 is lower than the older MX-4 which wasn't a thick paste either. Maybe you never tried out a thick paste, that's why you think it's a thick paste. MX-5 is definitely not a thick paste unless you are affected from the batch issue.
You point out that your heatsink makes poor, uneven contact and your conclusion is that the paste is at fault. Sigh. Thermal paste is designed to go on as thin as possible and to only fill the tiny micro cavities between the die(or ihs) and sink. What you need is a proper heatsink replacement or repair.
Having successfully ruined any credibility right from the start. You forge ahead with a thinly veiled insult(aimed at the very first member to try and help you)? It may be wise to put a tiny bit more thought into your responses.

Generally when there's a mechanical failure(in your case a seemingly bent heatsink) the next step is to attempt an actual repair vs. duct taping it with gobs of thicker paste. Maybe you've never learned to apply a quality tim before and you just don't know any better?

You are alone in that conclusion.

Doesn't matter for me, I just say how it is in my experience based on my notebook. Sorry if it disappoints you when MX-5 works like crap on my notebook.

Then you are doing something wrong.

I'm not doing something wrong, don't worry. My experience with thermal pastes is huge with many hundreds of different applications from over more than 60 pastes.

MX-5 should NOT be runny. You have a sample of a bad batch. Contact Arctic about it, get your free replacement and quit your whining & meritless badmouthing.

Once again, the consistency of my MX-5 is working as intended, my paste is not affected from the bad batch. If anything the bad batch dries out the paste and not the other way around. A replacement won't improve the temps, no chance. MX-5 is too runny for my notebook. MX-4 doesn't work either, although the temps are a bit better actually. MX-4 viscosity is a bit higher which helps in my case.

You point out that your heatsink makes poor, uneven contact and your conclusion is that the paste is at fault. Sigh. Thermal paste is designed to go on as thin as possible and to only fill the tiny micro cavities between the die(or ihs) and sink. What you need is a proper heatsink replacement or repair.

Doesn't work on a laptop, sorry. I can only change the paste, that's all what I can do which is fine when I can easily use a thicker paste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Doesn't matter for me, I just say how it is in my experience based on my notebook. Sorry if it disappoints you when MX-5 works like crap on my notebook.

I'm not doing something wrong, don't worry. My experience with thermal pastes is huge with many hundreds of different applications from over more than 60 pastes.

Once again, the consistency of my MX-5 is working as intended, my paste is not affected from the bad batch. If anything the bad batch dries out the paste and not the other way around. A replacement won't improve the temps, no chance. MX-5 is too runny for my notebook. MX-4 doesn't work either, although the temps are a bit better actually. MX-4 viscosity is a bit higher which helps in my case.

Doesn't work on a laptop, sorry. I can only change the paste, that's all what I can do which is fine when I can easily use a thicker paste.

No need for you to be in this thread then, buy some Noctua paste is my advice, no need to post here anymore really, take care.

No need for you to be in this thread then, buy some Noctua paste is my advice, no need to post here anymore really, take care.

And why? He asked for experience with MX5 and that's what I gave him. You are not the one who decides in which thread I should go, this is not your business. On a bare die chip an uneven contact can happen, that's why a viscous paste is often recommended for GPUs or notebooks. Something to read for you: https://www.igorslab.de/en/geforce-...water-and-air-coolers-so-heavy-investigative/

Noctua NT-H2 is a much better choice by the way, sure some are better but this is a solid paste even on a my notebook. The last 1 or 2 degrees are not that super important anyways.

I'm not doing something wrong, don't worry.
If you are getting a result VASTLY different from everyone else, you're doing something wrong or have a sample of the bad batch. Either way, your testing is flawed and YOU have the problem.
Once again, the consistency of my MX-5 is working as intended, my paste is not affected from the bad batch.
Utter bunk & nonsense. MX-5 has a very viscous consistency. EVERYONE has remarked on that FACT. If your sample is runny, you have one of the bad batch samples.

Say it with me:
CONTACT ARCTIC FOR A REPLACEMENT!!

He asked for experience with MX5 and that's what I gave him.
I didn't ask you for anything.
Because you seem to be trolling and little more. Clear off and quit causing trouble.

If you are getting a result VASTLY different from everyone else, you're doing something wrong or have a sample of the bad batch.

Every device can be different, especially when it comes to bare die chips. Most tests are based on desktop chips, you cannot use test A and say test B must be wrong because of different results, it doesn't work like this. My MX-5 is perfectly fine, for my use case it just doesn't work.

Utter bunk & nonsense. MX-5 has a very viscous consistency.

You can be sure that every experienced thermal paste tester agrees with me that MX-5 is by no means a viscous paste. A viscous paste is completely different. For example this is a real viscous paste:

Obviously you have no clue about what you are talking about.

Because you seem to trolling and little more. Clear off and quit causing trouble.

You don't like my sharings because you are obviously a MX-5 ******, that's why you are trying to discredit my sharings. You have to learn that not everyone agrees with you and goes into a MX-5 hype mode. Unlike you I have tested almost every major paste. I have a collection of over 60 thermal pastes.

Just learn to accept different experiences. My experience with MX-5 is a bad one based on real tests over many many hours on my notebook, I'm not saying it's a bad one for others. Think about it.

Every device can be different, especially when it comes to bare die chips. Most tests are based on desktop chips, you cannot use test A and say test B must be wrong because of different results, it doesn't work like this.
I personally have three laptops. I've also installed MX-5 on every laptop in my office and at my PC shop for the last year. In ALL cases, thermal performance improved.

You can be sure that every experienced thermal paste tester agrees with me that MX-5 is by no means a viscous paste. A viscous paste is completely different.
Blah Blah blah..

Obviously you have no clue about what you are talking about.
Oh clearly. :rolleyes:

You don't like my sharings because you are obviously a MX-5 ******
You know I'm right. How do I know you know I'm right? Because you've resorted to multiple insults. You can stop with the insults. You how else do we know you're wrong? You have yet to produce ANY credible evidence to support your claims. This is because you can't, none exists. EVERY review of MX-5 shows it to be excellent.

My experience with MX-5 is a bad one
And you are ALONE in that experience. So again, you're either doing something wrong or have a sample of the bad batch. It is that simple.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
I personally have three laptops. I've also installed MX-5 on every laptop in my office and at my PC shop for the last year. In ALL cases, thermal performance improved.

Blah Blah blah..

Oh clearly. :rolleyes:

You know I'm right. How do I know you know I'm right? Because you've resorted to multiple insults. You can stop with the insults. You how else we know you're wrong? You have yet to produce ANY creditble evidence to support your claims. This is because you can't, none exists. EVERY review of MX-5 shows it to be excellent.

And you are ALONE in that experience. So again, you're either doing something wrong or have a sample of the bad batch. It is that simple.
Borc is entitled to his opinion. When it comes to a product like thermal paste, with different philosophies on composition and viscosity, that is fair. It is going too far to say he cannot contribute and should leave the thread because others disagree with his opinion on the product. I don't think anyone wants an echo chamber. Personally I only use Thermal Grizzly so I really have nothing of substance to add.

Borc is entitled to his opinion.
True. But he is NOT entitled to be a troll. He was asked by myself AND the OP to let the matter go and he persisted in pressing his nonsense agenda, which to me seems to be focused on badmouthing MX-5 and Arctic.
It is going too far to say he cannot contribute and should leave the thread because others disagree with his opinion on the product.
He's not being asked to leave the thread for disagreeing. He's being ask to stop with the disinformation. When opinion flies in the face of established knowledge and fact, it ceases to be opinion and becomes disinformation. Persisting with that disinformation is a form of trolling.
I don't think anyone wants an echo chamber.
Of course not. However what we DON'T want or need is people spouting nonsense easily proven wrong.
Personally I only use Thermal Grizzly so I really have nothing of substance to add.
And that is your preference. You are welcome to it and I think everyone can agree it's a good one. Thermal Grizzly is a solid performer. But you see, you're not calling MX-5 crap. That's what Borc was doing.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Mine seemed wet too but sure isn't worth contacting them for another tube I'm not using it on a laptop anyway not sure mx-5 was ever recommended for one
It's so-so if you spread it thin on both surfaces and let it sit for a little while it dries a bit.

Think I went back to nt-h1 on z490 and x99 think mx-5 is still on x299 though might be opening it up tomorrow see if the block is still clear optimus water blocks make pretty good filters lol

I get poor results with my MX-5....and by the way with many other pastes as well.

You know I'm right. How do I know you know I'm right? Because you've resorted to multiple insults. You can stop with the insults. You how else do we know you're wrong? You have yet to produce ANY credible evidence to support your claims. This is because you can't, none exists. EVERY review of MX-5 shows it to be excellent.

Whatever I post you wouldn't agree. I have posted all my results in other forums, just not here.

You cannot do this with a viscous paste, doesn't work.

Arctic MX-5= 550 poise
Arctic MX-4= 870 Poise

Perfectly fine for a heatspreader CPU and I would guess also for most of the bare die CPUs/GPUs. However on a bare die CPU/GPU it is a risk, I would recommend a more viscous paste.

After many hundrets of hours or thermal paste tests in the last 1.5 years I'm certainly a master of thermal paste application. MX-5 is a paste I tried a lot, roughly 15 applications. Quite funny when people tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Lateshow

After reading through this thread I decided to try out some MX5. I had been running various pastes over the decades, AS5 to Kryo to LM. Was planning on doing a mass repaste on a bunch of hardware we purchased last year. I wanted something that was easy, and would last. MX5's claimed 8 yr running time, temps, and price (2g for $5.xx at amazon) seemed like a no brainer. Grizzly was like 4x's the price.

First thing was my laptop. I thought it may have been a bit watery when I applied it, but using an old grizzly spatula, it seemed to have substance, and covered the chips nicely. I then "painted the cooler jic. I was expecting at least a 5 degree drop, which is fair since the laptop has been in heavy use, the old paste was mostly dried up, and the cooler/fans were just cleaned.

Long story short... Temps went up slightly, or were the same. No one said anything about a cure time but after an hour of various tests, it was clear. So I took it apart again, and added more MX5. Ran it overnight, and now I think I'm getting 1 to maybe 2 degrees better than the stock stuff, but I'm not sure if that was any better than than when I originally bought the laptop. I'm in the 80's after running 3dmarks time spy which is basically the same as when I originally got it. So it's not even a mounting thing. Temps would be much higer if the cooler wasn't flush.

I ordered 2 tubes when I saw Arctic had 2g tubes for $5.xx. Arctic had 2 different listings for the exact same (no spatula) 2g tubes, but one Arctic listing had it for $1 more. Now I'm wondering if it's QC thing, or they were actively selling some inferior paste for a buck less. I won't be ordering the $1 more MX5 2g tubes either way. I'd rather bite bullet, and pay quadruple for stuff that works. I'm starting to see how some people are saying that this stuff isn't all that. Reviewers get prime samples straight from the company. No chance of inferior paste going there. I got mines from Arctics store on Amazon.

I might do more testing. Might open the 2nd tube. Might make a return. Not at all impressed.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
After reading through this thread I decided to try out some MX5. I had been running various pastes over the decades, AS5 to Kryo to LM. Was planning on doing a mass repaste on a bunch of hardware we purchased last year. I wanted something that was easy, and would last. MX5's claimed 8 yr running time, temps, and price (2g for $5.xx at amazon) seemed like a no brainer. Grizzly was like 4x's the price.

First thing was my laptop. I thought it may have been a bit watery when I applied it, but using an old grizzly spatula, it seemed to have substance, and covered the chips nicely. I then "painted the cooler jic. I was expecting at least a 5 degree drop, which is fair since the laptop has been in heavy use, the old paste was mostly dried up, and was just cleaned.

Long story shot.., Temps went up slightly, or were the same. No one said anything about a cure time but after an hour of various tests, it was clear. So I took it apart again, and added more MX5. Ran it overnight, and now I think I'm getting 1 to maybe 2 degrees better than the stock stuff, but I'm not sure if that was any better than than when I originally bought the laptop. I'm in the 80's after running 3dmarks time spy which is basically the same as when I originally got it. So it's not even a mounting thing. Temps would be much higer if the cooler wasn't flush.

I ordered 2 tubes when I saw Arctic had 2g tubes for $5.xx. Arctic had 2 different listings for the exact same (no spatula) 2g tubes, but one Arctic listing had it for $1 more. Now I'm wondering if it's QC thing, or they were actively selling some inferior paste for a buck less. I won't be ordering the $1 more MX5 2g tubes either way. I'd rather bite bullet, and pay quadruple for stuff that works. I'm starting to see how some people are saying that this stuff isn't all that. Reviewers get prime samples straight from the company. No chance of inferior paste going there. I got mines from Arctics store on Amazon.

I might do more testing. Might open the 2nd tube. Might make a return. Not at all impressed.

I recommend you get Noctua NT-H2. It is my favorite.

System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage Boot: Intel OPTANE SSD P1600X Series 118GB M.2 PCIE
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply EVGA 500W1 (modified to have two bridge rectifiers)
Software Windows 11 Home
I like GD900 (the original not the -2 version)

Just over $4 for 30g

Attachments

• GD900.jpg
    GD900.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
First thing was my laptop. I thought it may have been a bit watery when I applied it, but using an old grizzly spatula, it seemed to have substance, and covered the chips nicely. I then "painted the cooler jic. I was expecting at least a 5 degree drop, which is fair since the laptop has been in heavy use, the old paste was mostly dried up, and the cooler/fans were just cleaned.

Long story short... Temps went up slightly, or were the same. No one said anything about a cure time but after an hour of various tests, it was clear. So I took it apart again, and added more MX5. Ran it overnight, and now I think I'm getting 1 to maybe 2 degrees better than the stock stuff, but I'm not sure if that was any better than than when I originally bought the laptop. I'm in the 80's after running 3dmarks time spy which is basically the same as when I originally got it. So it's not even a mounting thing. Temps would be much higer if the cooler wasn't flush.
Do try to remember, that's a laptop. Laptops are very heat saturated devices because of the compact nature of them. Other than using liquid metal, you're not going to see any drastic improvements on a laptop and even liquid metal will not improve cooling, it would only improve thermal transfer. To see any benefit from a better TIM, you need to improve your cooling solution. On a laptop, you're spoiled for choice. So in your situation the TIM is not to blame, the cooling solution is.

Lateshow

Do try to remember, that's a laptop. Laptops are very heat saturated devices because of the compact nature of them. Other than using liquid metal, you're not going to see any drastic improvements on a laptop and even liquid metal will not improve cooling, it would only improve thermal transfer. To see any benefit from a better TIM, you need to improve your cooling solution. On a laptop, you're spoiled for choice. So in your situation the TIM is not to blame, the cooling solution is.

I understand what going on. I wasn't expecting a 5 degree drop from stock. 1-3 has been my experience from average to good pastes. This laptop has been heavy use, and temps have gone up a few degrees since I got it. I was looking for a 5 degree drop from current temps, or 1-3 better than stock. It appears to be matching the stock paste at the very least. I'd be fine with it for the claimed long life, but with no drop in temps compared to the stock paste, I'm worried I got an inferior batch. I'll probably try the 2nd tube next. Get another good look at the footprint on the cooler to see if it was somehow off.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll order more Griz. I should have ordered 1 of each arctic, and a krylo lol. Always gonna wonder why they had the same tubes at 2 different prices.

It appears to be matching the stock paste at the very least.
Then it's doing it's job.
I'm worried I got an inferior batch.
If it were, your temps would not be matching the stock temps, they'd be worse. No worries, your laptop is just being a laptop. My Dell Vostro V131 only saw a 3C improvement. But that was also after a good cleaning. Laptops are a different animal from desktops where cooling is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.