• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Amen to that. Plus saying you have a dual CPU workstation is simply cool. Dell's consumer stuff is pretty naff, but their workstation gear is A++, wouldn't use anything else any more (as my main system) Once you understand how and why Dell did things, it's pretty easy to spiff them right up.
Things will get dark for us. For the people that actually notice how the machine they bought works I've been a part of some conversations on Dell forums with the newer machines like the t5820 running xeon w CPUs. Some of those w chips are like 165w TDP and the dells won't use them to anywhere near the potential. These are systems bought brand new from Dell. Maybe by the time it gets cheap for us to buy someone will get it figured out but I doubt it since me nor anyone else so far has been able to mod the bios on my 5810.

What do you need modded? The gov't agency I work for is in tight with Dell, maybe I can make some headway...
Lmao really. I needed overclocking and power limits changed. Ultimately needed more menu items in my bios but I think that's a pipe dream. Right now I overclock with throttle stop but I can't go to far because of the tdp and current limits. If there is some engineering bios sample that is fully unlocked that would be the ticket. I will appreciate the effort but letting you know I'm not going to hold my breath lol

And I wouldn't expect you too, but I'll give it a college try and let you know what happens.
Much appreciated. It would definitely open up a new world for these great workstations

If anyone could explain this to me. I just swapped some stuff around getting my boys PC hooked up. This t5810 is replacing an optiplex 7010 Mt. I'm re using the SSD boot drive. I configured the bios and attached my windows installation media. Machine wouldn't boot. I disconnected my flash drive and it booted. Right into windows. The same installation from the 7010. And it seems to all be working. I didn't think this was a thing. A 7010 is a completely different system. Not even same era. I'm currently running through bios updates using it right now. And fyi I'm not leaving it like this. It just feels wrong. I'm going to finish updating the bios and do a clean windows install.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Need some help I have a T3500 motherboard and wanted to know if that CPU backplate heatsink come off if so how
Did this on a spare board for this post. Really need to remove the motherboard from case. T20 torx bit to loosen four screws holding CPU retainer and the backplate comes right out. Remove one of two white push pins that retain black plastic protector and swivel it aside for ease of access. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• backing.plate.jpg
    backing.plate.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hey any Dell T5820 owners here? I may be putting together a racing sim rig for someone and might use this PC. I can get one specd with a w-2255 xeon(i9-10900x) 32gb 4x8gb ecc ram, 950watt psu and a win 10 pro license for just under 1300 bucks. I can't build "that" system for that. Things im concerned about are cpu temps my 5810 had a hard time before upgrading the heatsink, GPU space(will only fe edition cards fit? Looking at a 3070ti or a 3080), GPU power connections and nvme m.2 22110 drive installs. It has flex bays that take m.2/u2 drives. I have zero experience with flex bays and if any adapters are needed.
Any input always appreciated

Last edited:
System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
Did any of you have problems with random rebooting of T5500?

It is not CPU temps, as those are not stressed 100% anymore. Not the RAM, as those have been tested with MEMtest.

Can it be that PSU is not so good? :confused:

875W PSU, for a:
- 48GB RAM
- 2x X5670 (I think) CPU
- 1x SSD
- 1x DVD
- 1x 1650 SUPER
- 2x 80mm fans on EIDE power
& that is it.
That's not a lot of load. Have you tested the PSU with a PSU voltage tester? And have you done a run of Memtext86?

Last edited:
System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Did any of you have problems with random rebooting of T5500?

It is not CPU temps, as those are not stressed 100% anymore. Not the RAM, as those have been tested with MEMtest.

Can it be that PSU is not so good? :confused:
Have you checked the two chipset heat sinks for warmth? If they seem cold under load that may be the problem. Poor heat transfer. Boards I have dissembled the thermal paste or pad had gone bad long ago. These systems can be 13 years old with countless run time hours by now.

I would also inspect the capacitors carefully. Earlier board revisions use caps that are known to be defective. Though they do not always show sings of going bad.

System Name D30 w.2x E5-2680; T5500 w.2x X5675;2x P35 w.X3360; 2x Q33 w.Q9550S/Q9400S & laptops.
That's not a lot of load. Have you tested the PSU with a PSU voltage tester? And have you done a run of Memtext86?
Well, computer does power up...but resets after minute or two. That is what troubles me!

Yes, MEMtest has passed with flying colors.
Have you checked the two chipset heat sinks for warmth? If they seem cold under load that may be the problem. Poor heat transfer. Boards I have dissembled the thermal paste or pad had gone bad long ago. These systems can be 13 years old with countless run time hours by now.

I would also inspect the capacitors carefully. Earlier board revisions use caps that are known to be defective. Though they do not always show sings of going bad.
Heatsinks are warm enough, though I am not running calcs on them (as WCG is down at the moment). Last time it was 6m ago that paste was changed & it run 24/7 without problems.

Need to check Caps. Any Cap in particular is known to go bad?

Well, computer does power up...but resets after minute or two. That is what troubles me!

Yes, MEMtest has passed with flying colors.
Is the fan in the PSU spinning properly? If it's not, that might be your problem.

Need to check Caps. Any Cap in particular is known to go bad?
To be safe, inspect them all. You may wish to open the PSU(after you properly discharge it) and check those caps as well.

hello Dell and goodbye Hp (it was nice while it lasted :) )

this topic has 89 pages so will admit i did not go through all of it .. due mostly to eye strain.

just managed to sell the Z440 (not sure it is safe to mention hp products on the Dell thread - hope i don't get a kick and permaban)
and i got a T7810 dual socket with 2xV3s.

long story short i rushed to get 2x V4s , they didn't get here yet, still on the way so i am hoping they will just run fine out of the box.
^^^otherwise i read i need to upgrade BIOS (not a fan of that dangerous manoeuver tbh)

the mainbord is 0kjcc5 (as CPU-Z states) can anyone mention some RAM "restrictions"?
i have 32gb of 1rx8 and i keep seeing 2rx4 on ebay etc.

bottom line is i want to get 64 or 128 but i read single rank is faster and that RDIMM is better etc. (i want "this much RAM" cause i don't want to upgrade it for 3-4-5 years)

is there some brand of ram that just does not work? that the mainboard does not like?
is there some type of RAM that does not work? 2rx8 or X rx Y you get the point. i read that 2rx4 is rejected by some mainboards - i am going a bit crazy on this issue.
would not like to spend 2-3xx $ for the system to not boot. i will die on the inside and outside.

i am looking into Micron and SK Hynix as i am guessing these will be fine?

I can't speak for exactly which ram to get. On workstation stuff I usually just look to buy what was already in it. I will tell you that you will have to update your bios to run that v4 cpu. If your slightly cautious there is nothing to worry about. Always a good idea to have the PC plugged into a UPS. But the scenerio I follow is update it through windows. After I do a fresh install of windows and before I do anything else I start updating my bios. Typically whatever machine I get is on a pretty early revision. Do not jump to the latest version. If you go to dells site and punch in your service tag you will find the latest bios. Click older versions. You can read down through them and sometimes you'll see that it states can only be upgraded if so and so version is already installed. For this reason I typically only jump about 2 versions at a time. On the fresh install I won't even have it hooked up to the internet yet. On another PC I will download all the bios versions I plan to install. Use a thumb drive and get going on it. Fresh install with no other garage going yet your reboots will be quick and easy. You can fly through many bios updates quickly. Following this I've never bricked anything. I have intentionally bricked a machine but I also have a programmer so i brought it back to life a few minutes later. I'll do a little digging on what memory works best.

Upgrading the the v4 should allow for 2400 memory. That's PC4-19200. I believe from what I've seen hynix has came oem in those dells. I can't find any real reason to go single rank over dual rank. From what I've read the difference is negligible. So hynix PC4-19200 rdimm ecc memory I guess in 16gb modules would be how I'd go. Enjoy the large amount of money that's going to cost lol. What do you plan on using the rig for if you don't mind me asking? V4 CPUs and ddr4 2400ecc haven't aged out yet making them about double in cost compared to a v3 setup and the performance increase isn't huge. Ideally with my budget in mind I'd get the v3 CPUs I wanted and just double up the 32gb of memory you have. Save a ton and have almost the same performance.

Last edited:
I can't speak for exactly which ram to get. On workstation stuff I usually just look to buy what was already in it. I will tell you that you will have to update your bios to run that v4 cpu. If your slightly cautious there is nothing to worry about. Always a good idea to have the PC plugged into a UPS. But the scenerio I follow is update it through windows. After I do a fresh install of windows and before I do anything else I start updating my bios. Typically whatever machine I get is on a pretty early revision. Do not jump to the latest version. If you go to dells site and punch in your service tag you will find the latest bios. Click older versions. You can read down through them and sometimes you'll see that it states can only be upgraded if so and so version is already installed. For this reason I typically only jump about 2 versions at a time. On the fresh install I won't even have it hooked up to the internet yet. On another PC I will download all the bios versions I plan to install. Use a thumb drive and get going on it. Fresh install with no other garage going yet your reboots will be quick and easy. You can fly through many bios updates quickly. Following this I've never bricked anything. I have intentionally bricked a machine but I also have a programmer so i brought it back to life a few minutes later. I'll do a little digging on what memory works best.

Upgrading the the v4 should allow for 2400 memory. That's PC4-19200. I believe from what I've seen hynix has came oem in those dells. I can't find any real reason to go single rank over dual rank. From what I've read the difference is negligible. So hynix PC4-19200 rdimm ecc memory I guess in 16gb modules would be how I'd go. Enjoy the large amount of money that's going to cost lol. What do you plan on using the rig for if you don't mind me asking? V4 CPUs and ddr4 2400ecc haven't aged out yet making them about double in cost compared to a v3 setup and the performance increase isn't huge. Ideally with my budget in mind I'd get the v3 CPUs I wanted and just double up the 32gb of memory you have. Save a ton and have almost the same performance.
good idea with buying what's inside, but i don't remember seeing 1xr x 8 yet in the ads.
can i mix 1r x 8 with 2r x 4 of the same brand (Micron)?
buying what i have means 2133.
would have liked to go 2400. (max it out)

i guess it will not affect performance too much if i have 4 x 4 Gb and 4 x 16 Gb sticks in there?

VERY Good idea to increment BIOS in baby steps. i will do that, together with UPS.

about prices of v3 and V4 s and perf differences - i know V3 s are very OK but i want to aim high so i will use it for many years to come.
i got some cash and i need to spend it now on this , otherwise it will go on something else.

thank you for all the info, need to find that service tag, the HP had a sticker, i think this dell has the sticker removed :|

i am using it for hobby vide editing. so i need a lot of ram, RAM preview and stuff :)
i had 40 Gb in the previous pc and it filled up quick.

Last edited:
(not sure it is safe to mention hp products on the Dell thread - hope i don't get a kick and permaban)
You're fine. We're not that strict.
i got a T7810 dual socket with 2xV3s.
Nice!
^^^otherwise i read i need to upgrade BIOS (not a fan of that dangerous manoeuver tbh)
It's not dangerous. The chances of "bricking" your system are very, very, very, very, VERY slim.
the mainbord is 0kjcc5 (as CPU-Z states) can anyone mention some RAM "restrictions"?
i have 32gb of 1rx8 and i keep seeing 2rx4 on ebay etc.

bottom line is i want to get 64 or 128 but i read single rank is faster and that RDIMM is better etc. (i want "this much RAM" cause i don't want to upgrade it for 3-4-5 years)
would have liked to go 2400. (max it out)
I'm going to presume you're stateside. The following should serve you well.
8x16gb will give you 128GB total.

However, if you have budget;

can i mix 1r x 8 with 2r x 4 of the same brand (Micron)?
Last time I checked, no, single and dual rank dimms can not be mixed. It has to be one or the other. So whatever you end up buying, make sure it's all the same ranking.

VERY Good idea to increment BIOS in baby steps. i will do that, together with UPS.
Unless Dell's instructions on the BIOS update page given that instruction, it is not necessary to increment the updates. Go straight to the newest one and call it a day. The latest BIOS, version A34, is found below;
https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...biosa&productcode=precision-t7810-workstation

It's not dangerous. The chances of "bricking" your system are very, very, very, very, VERY slim.
so help me God i will update it.

possible sutpid question: can i just install the V4 s and maybe it works? Any downside to that?
I'm going to presume you're stateside. The following should serve you well.
no Sir, unfortunatelly i am not stateside.
but fortunatelly i can buy from "stateside" :D

thanks for those suggestions, i am using ebay.

Unless Dell's instructions on the BIOS update page given that instruction, it is not necessary to increment the updates. Go straight to the newest one and call it a day. The latest BIOS, version A34, is found below;
https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...biosa&productcode=precision-t7810-workstation
that does sound legit, do it once and do it well :D
fingers crossed!

i guess i don't need to check service number for my PC since the BIOS is for T7810 and i got a T7810, right?

OK i don't get this, it's on the BIOS link you provided:

" Important Information
BIOS version A11 and earlier releases are incompatible with Intel Xeon E5-16xx and 26xx-v4 CPUs (Broadwell). <<<clear enough, will need to upgrade if i have A11 or earlier
It is recommended that you downgrade BIOS to version A11 before(???) downgrading from version A12 and later. <<<so if i have BIOS version higher than A11 i need to first downgrade to A11?? but if it's highet than A11, doesn't it mean it supports V4s? Confusing ...
This process is due to some significant changes required to enable v4 (Broadwell) CPUs. Also, along with that it enables Xeon E5-16XX and 26XX v3 (Haswell) CPUs and v4 (Broadwell) CPUs BIOS to stay in one BIOS stream. <<<so this is to keep both options open - V3 and V4?
All versions of the Broadwell CPU enabled BIOS (A12+) understand how to migrate the Haswell settings. There are no upgrade restrictions." <<<so if i have BIOS v A12 or higher i can just install the V4s, right?

Last edited:
i read that a few times.

What version of BIOS are you on now?
will check it later tonight so i don't get wife AGGRO :D

please check my previous post - i edited it - it's some important info for BIOS upgrade on the link you provided.

...before downgrading or before upgrading? Omg..

Ok cool! You should be able to find what you need in your nation's ebay system
Oh no, I will use USA s system :) better prices and a lot more stuff. :)

No disrespect meant and I'll assume you know more than me seeing how involved you've been here well for a while lol. I only recommend what I do due to I've been apart of more than 1 thread on different sites where someone has made a giant jump in bios revisions and it didn't work out. Obviously I don't ever know the full circumstances around whatever happened. Playing around with things I've upgraded fully and downgraded through all of them trying to get something to work and I've never had a failure.

Important Information
BIOS version A11 and earlier releases are incompatible with Intel Xeon E5-16xx and 26xx-v4 CPUs (Broadwell). <<<clear enough, will need to upgrade if i have A11 or earlier
It is recommended that you downgrade BIOS to version A11 before(???) downgrading from version A12 and later. <<<so if i have BIOS version higher than A11 i need to first downgrade to A11?? but if it's highet than A11, doesn't it mean it supports V4s? Confusing ...
This process is due to some significant changes required to enable v4 (Broadwell) CPUs. Also, along with that it enables Xeon E5-16XX and 26XX v3 (Haswell) CPUs and v4 (Broadwell) CPUs BIOS to stay in one BIOS stream. <<<so this is to keep both options open - V3 and V4?
All versions of the Broadwell CPU enabled BIOS (A12+) understand how to migrate the Haswell settings. There are no upgrade restrictions." <<<so if i have BIOS v A12 or higher i can just install the V4s, right?

I thought it was revision 12 that allowed it just didn't say anything without looking it up. Yes if it is 12 or higher you should be good. And there is no risk of losing support if you go all the way. I'm running v3's on a fully up to date system.

No disrespect meant and I'll assume you know more than me seeing how involved you've been here well for a while lol. I only recommend what I do due to I've been apart of more than 1 thread on different sites where someone has made a giant jump in bios revisions and it didn't work out.
While it's true that there are some instances where incrementing the BIOS revisions is needed, as a general rule it's not common. And Dell is very good at indicating in the instructions when it is required. In this case the A34 is a one step solution.

will check it later tonight so i don't get wife AGGRO
Fair enough. As long as you are above A16 you will have complete Xeon V4 support. A12 introduced support for the V4 line but the microcode set was not complete. The complete set was included in A16. However, there is no reason not to use A34. Perform the update while the Xeon V3's are installed and then switch over to the V4's.
...before downgrading or before upgrading? Omg..
Before downgrading. Back then there were legitimate reasons to downgrade, having to do with compatibility using certain Xeon V3 CPU's. You should not have a need to downgrade as you are going with Xeon V4's.

BTW, which V4's are you going with?

As long as you are above A16 you will have complete Xeon V4 support. A12 introduced support for the V4 line but the microcode set was not complete. The complete set was included in A16. However, there is no reason not to use A34. Perform the update while the Xeon V3's are installed and then switch over to the V4's.
Ok, I got it refurbished so I am hoping it has the latest one but let's see later tonight.
So the bar is set a little higher - A16 :)
BTW, which V4's are you going with?
I have a fetish for cores I guess :D
They were cheap, close to v3 so that was it. Like 100 bucks a piece.

Low tdp 120w compared to 2697 v3 with same cores (but better performance) was at 145.

Most of those high core count chips go down close to base clock under all core load. A higher TDP let's them stay there a bit better under an avx type workload that will hit that TDP and then throttle down further. If your software can use a ton of cores fantastic, otherwise chips like a 2643,2667 which have fewer cores (still get to run double) but have a higher base clock with pretty respectable turbo speeds work better. Myself not having much real experience with professional software have only used things that can take advantage of about 10 cores max.