• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

JHAKK

With the parts you're running, that 685W PSU will do the job, but the 825W would be better. The 1300W unit would be a waste unless you run dual GPU's.
I will be running 2 gpus yes correct.

Is there a different psu breakout board that's needed for the larger supplies? I haven't looked into the 825 or 1300 watt supplies to know and those are typically for 7000 series dells.
T5810 breakout is fine apparently but T3610 or similar will not suffice...

That's a good question. Never noticed a difference on the ones I've worked on, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. However, those PSUs are designed to be easily swapped and upgraded, so it stands to reason that they're universal within that PSU/System product range.

JHAKK

Splitters are being widely used by the mining community and should be safe so long as the wire gauge is within spec and wattage doesn’t exceed spec as well. The cable you linked should handle up to 150w. A pcie slot can do up to 75w as well. YMMV but cable should be ok.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Splitters are being widely used by the mining community and should be safe so long as the wire gauge is within spec and wattage doesn’t exceed spec as well. The cable you linked should handle up to 150w. A pcie slot can do up to 75w as well. YMMV but cable should be ok.
Indeed. It's when people try to power their GPU with a 4-pin molex to PCIe adapter is where magic smoke happens. Cannot expect to supply all that juice through a single wire of that size.

Splitter in the link should be able to actually handle a lot more than 150w depending on gauge of the wires, and what is provided by the PSU. That 150w spec is a requirement not a limit. Nothing about PCIe connectors themselves regulate power.

JHAKK

Update: 1300w psu arrived and does work in t5810.
I purchased the 0T31JM model to be precise.
It powers main gpu via pcie and secondary gpu via custom made cable(cpu2) as noted in previous posts.
Cheers!

@JHAKK Awesome. What did you do to make the custom cable? Just buy another cpu and GPU cable to steal the connectors and re-pin? That 10 pin eps connector is not the most common out there.

JHAKK

@JHAKK Awesome. What did you do to make the custom cable? Just buy another cpu and GPU cable to steal the connectors and re-pin? That 10 pin eps connector is not the most common out there.
Went to local computer store and asked for a dead atx psu-they had several and I got it free.
Then used tin snips to cut wires and connector plastic motherboard end, leaving first 10pins of connector intact.
Used posted diagram to then splice in a purchased 6pin to dual 8pin pcie cable.
Voilà!

1649641927722.png

System Name Terminator T3500
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 4GHz
Motherboard Dell T3500
Cooling Deepcool Gammax 400
Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Acer H233H - 1920x1080 75Hz
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01
Audio Device(s) Kinter MA-170
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Went to local computer store and asked for a dead atx psu-they had several and I got it free.
Then used tin snips to cut wires and connector plastic motherboard end, leaving first 10pins of connector intact.
Used posted diagram to then splice in a purchased 6pin to dual 8pin pcie cable.
Voilà!
Sounds like you cut up the 24-pin to get the 10-pin? Great idea! I'll have to start clipping the connectors off of dead PSU that come my way. I would also love to see some photos of the build, and any "custom" bits you have done to make it work so far.

JHAKK

@JHAKK
Got a pic of your rig with 2 GPUs shoved in it? Guessing you had to drill the card hold down bracket off the cover
I used a riser and 2nd card is outside case on top of it.
Let me tell you it is function over fashion! =)
Super FUGLY!!! lol

Sounds like you cut up the 24-pin to get the 10-pin? Great idea! I'll have to start clipping the connectors off of dead PSU that come my way. I would also love to see some photos of the build, and any "custom" bits you have done to make it work so far.
Correct yes. Starting from left of ATX cable, counted 5pins(2 rows of 5) = 10pins total) to right and cut.
This matches the pattern perfectly which the Dell CPU_2 connector is expecting, if that makes sense.
I will post some pic's when I can.
Basically only 3 positive and 5 GND wires need to be active as pin 9 and pin 10 on CPU_2 side are empty.
Cheers.

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Makes total sense, I had already looked at the connectors and, well...made the connection lol

Hi everyone,

I have a RAM issue on my T3500. I think it may be a CPU problem but I wonder what you guys think. I got the workstation for almost nothing 2 years ago, it came with a weak W3503 CPU and 4x1GB of RAM. I upgraded the system with a W3690, an SSD, 3x4GB of 1333 ECC RAM and an RX570 GPU.

Since I've done the upgrade, my BIOS ask me to press F1 to continue each time I reboot due to an error in DIMM slot 3. Windows task manager shows 12GB of RAM but only 8GB usable. I tried to re-seat the ram ( which was brand new ) several times without success. I also tried to put a set of 3x1GB that I had laying around and it still shows an error in slot 3. If I understand correctly, the memory controller on these systems is located on the CPU, so I guess it may be the culprit as I had no RAM issue before switching it.

I'm using the system like this for 2 years because it works not bad at all and I didn't want to spend too much time troubleshooting this problem. It is actually super stable and works well for its intended purpose ( media center for my TV with some occasional gaming ). But I just found a great deal for an RTX3060 and I'm thinking of buying it to play more recent games, so I'd like to add more RAM as well or at least being able to use the whole 12GB installed. A used W3690 CPU is almost the same price as another 12GB kit of RAM, I still have 3 empty slots. What is the best thing to do in your opinion? Thanks in advance for your help.

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Hi everyone,

I have a RAM issue on my T3500. I think it may be a CPU problem but I wonder what you guys think. I got the workstation for almost nothing 2 years ago, it came with a weak W3503 CPU and 4x1GB of RAM. I upgraded the system with a W3690, an SSD, 3x4GB of 1333 ECC RAM and an RX570 GPU.

Since I've done the upgrade, my BIOS ask me to press F1 to continue each time I reboot due to an error in DIMM slot 3. Windows task manager shows 12GB of RAM but only 8GB usable. I tried to re-seat the ram ( which was brand new ) several times without success. I also tried to put a set of 3x1GB that I had laying around and it still shows an error in slot 3. If I understand correctly, the memory controller on these systems is located on the CPU, so I guess it may be the culprit as I had no RAM issue before switching it.

I'm using the system like this for 2 years because it works not bad at all and I didn't want to spend too much time troubleshooting this problem. It is actually super stable and works well for its intended purpose ( media center for my TV with some occasional gaming ). But I just found a great deal for an RTX3060 and I'm thinking of buying it to play more recent games, so I'd like to add more RAM as well or at least being able to use the whole 12GB installed. A used W3690 CPU is almost the same price as another 12GB kit of RAM, I still have 3 empty slots. What is the best thing to do in your opinion? Thanks in advance for your help.
It's very likely the CPU just needs to be reseated...but cleaning the CPU socket with a very soft brush and some isopropyl alchohol and also the RAM slots would be a good idea. I bet it all RAM slots work again after a reseat and some cleaning. I've never actually personally seen a CPU damaged in a way that knocks out a single RAM slot.

It's very likely the CPU just needs to be reseated...but cleaning the CPU socket with a very soft brush and some isopropyl alchohol and also the RAM slots would be a good idea. I bet it all RAM slots work again after a reseat and some cleaning. I've never actually personally seen a CPU damaged in a way that knocks out a single RAM slot.
When I installed it, I cleaned the CPU with isopropyl alcohol but not the motherboard. I will try to do that and re-seat the CPU, thanks for the suggestion.

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
When I installed it, I cleaned the CPU with isopropyl alcohol but not the motherboard. I will try to do that and re-seat the CPU, thanks for the suggestion.
Don't forget those RAM slots too, long+soft brush and alcohol. Let us know how it goes and we can push further if that doesn't fix it for you. Try to reseat a few times if it doesn't work the first time. These motherboards are getting pretty old now, and the metal of the pins isn't what it used to be.

Did you try using the other slot sets? As long are all DIMMs are on the same channel you can use either set of slots.

If you can, take a photo of the socket with the CPU taken out and the CPU clamp open.

BTW, Welcome to TPU!

Did you try using the other slot sets? As long are all DIMMs are on the same channel you can use either set of slots.

If you can, take a photo of the socket with the CPU taken out and the CPU clamp open.

BTW, Welcome to TPU!
I thought about doing that but the Dell documentation showed only a single configuration for 3x4GB in the slots 1,2 and 3. So I didn't try by fear of damaging something but I should have asked here at the time. I will take pics, thanks for your help and the warm welcome!

I thought about doing that but the Dell documentation showed only a single configuration for 3x4GB in the slots 1,2 and 3.
That just the recommended configuration, it'll still work in the other slots just fine.
So I didn't try by fear of damaging something but I should have asked here at the time.
Fear not, you'll be fine. Give it a try and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you might have a socket/CPU problem. If the problem goes away, you might have a bad/damaged slot.
thanks for your help and the warm welcome!
You're welcome!

That just the recommended configuration, it'll still work in the other slots just fine.

Fear not, you'll be fine. Give it a try and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you might have a socket/CPU problem. If the problem goes away, you might have a bad/damaged slot.

You're welcome!
I hope it's not a motherboard failure, but there was no issue with the old CPU. I think I will first try to move the sticks in the 3 other slots now that I know it's safe. Then if it works, that would point in the direction of a defective / dirty RAM slot and if it doesn't, I would have to look at the CPU / motherboard if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited: