• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

I hope it's not a motherboard failure, but there was no issue with the old CPU. I think I will first try to move the sticks in the 3 other slots now that I know it's safe. Then if it works, that would point in the direction of a defective / dirty RAM slot and if it doesn't, I would have to look at the CPU / motherboard if I'm not mistaken.
recommendations aside (as to 1-2-3 ram slots) there is a lot of misinformation going on in the user manuals.
such as "do not combine single rank with dual rank" or T7810 does not support 32Gb sticks.

i really don't get how these manuals are made.
or why arn't they updated.

if there is no risk of ruining something - give it a go.

(had a legion laptop - specs said max 16Gb ram, but i went with 24 - and read it could go to 32)

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
i really don't get how these manuals are made.
or why arn't they updated.

Updates don't happen in a product segment that moves as fast as computing because by the time a revised version of the documentation is ready, existing users have already figured out what they need to, and new users are more-or-less nonexistent. Or the product has been discontinued entirely. What's the production life of a "tech" product these days; 18 months? 12? Less?

Little update about my RAM problem. I moved the sticks to the slots 4,5 and 6 and I got 5 bips from the MB with the "1" lit on the front panel and no output. According to the manual, this means no RAM is detected. I will try to clean them more tomorrow but it looks like I will have to remove the CPU as well. For now I've put back the sticks in the 1,2,3 slots and I still have the same problem (12GB detected but 8GB usable)

System Name Terminator T3500
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 4GHz
Motherboard Dell T3500
Cooling Deepcool Gammax 400
Memory 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580 8GB
Storage 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) Acer H233H - 1920x1080 75Hz
Case Corsair Carbide Spec-01
Audio Device(s) Kinter MA-170
Power Supply Corsair CX600
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Little update about my RAM problem. I moved the sticks to the slots 4,5 and 6 and I got 5 bips from the MB with the "1" lit on the front panel and no output. According to the manual, this means no RAM is detected. I will try to clean them more tomorrow but it looks like I will have to remove the CPU as well. For now I've put back the sticks in the 1,2,3 slots and I still have the same problem (12GB detected but 8GB usable)
Fingers crossed, but the CPU socket is generally the cause of RAM slot issues, in my experience, so I think that'll fix it. It is kind of a pain to remove and remount the cooler, but it sounds like the next logical step. Make sure to clean the CPU pads real well too.

Fingers crossed, but the CPU socket is generally the cause of RAM slot issues, in my experience, so I think that'll fix it. It is kind of a pain to remove and remount the cooler, but it sounds like the next logical step. Make sure to clean the CPU pads real well too.
Yeah, that sounds like a socket problem to me as well. Hopefully it just needs to be cleaned. Worst case scenario, take the RAM out of the slot having the issue and just run the system in dual channel mode, which it will do.

guys this might sound useless but any idea on why does the CPU bench differ by so much?

First bench 11800 score
1650285386023.png

Second 10800 score. On the same PC.
1650285402141.png

i remember obtaining a high score on a Z440 and i could not obtain it again, it was always lowere and i blamed myself for ruining some BISO setting but now i did not change anything and scores are different.

Which annoys me.
A lot. :D

thinking of upgrading from storage hdd to ssd , not sure if to go for PICe ssd - the speed i heard is much faster for NVMe ones but is it usable?
will the T7810 boot from PCIe mounted NVMe drive?

guys this might sound useless but any idea on why does the CPU bench differ by so much?

First bench 11800 score
View attachment 243990
Second 10800 score. On the same PC.
View attachment 243991

i remember obtaining a high score on a Z440 and i could not obtain it again, it was always lowere and i blamed myself for ruining some BISO setting but now i did not change anything and scores are different.

Which annoys me.
A lot. :D

thinking of upgrading from storage hdd to ssd , not sure if to go for PICe ssd - the speed i heard is much faster for NVMe ones but is it usable?
will the T7810 boot from PCIe mounted NVMe drive?
This might be background tasks running & interfering with the benchmark runs. You might want to look at whats running and see if you can lean it out.

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
Well it always runs the same things.
It's quite some difference 1000 points.
If you put the CPU to stock settings, and run the bench twice in a row...does it do the same thing?

If you put the CPU to stock settings, and run the bench twice in a row...does it do the same thing?
well i didn't do anything, just installed them and that's it.
what do you mean by stock settings? (as in reset BIOS settings to default?)

i am a bit tired of this so it does not affect me so much, i am just curious how the same test on the same system yields 2 different results LOL

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
well i didn't do anything, just installed them and that's it.
what do you mean by stock settings? (as in reset BIOS settings to default?)

i am a bit tired of this so it does not affect me so much, i am just curious how the same test on the same system yields 2 different results LOL
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was stock already. That is curious, then. Probably related to turbo and heat, but not too familiar with any CPU past 1366. If you wait several minutes between runs, does the score go back up? Or did you only get that score once, and can't get it anymore? No worries though if you're not worried lol

What kind of brush do you use to clean socket pins? Would a paint brush do the trick?

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
What kind of brush do you use to clean socket pins? Would a paint brush do the trick?
Just make sure the bristles are soft and aren't gonna come loose and get lodged in the socket...if you're scared, you can try spraying it down real good with isopropyl alchohol and then using some compressed air to blow it out...but it won't work as well as with a brush. I use make up brushes if I am honest lol But any brush will do, just take care not to bend any pins. Just soak it down in alcohol, then brush it around gently with the brush, dry it out completely (won't take long if you use 90+% alcohol), and give it another light brush to clear any remaining dust particles. While you are in there, take a few photos of the socket so we can make sure there aren't any obviously bent / deformed pins or anything else obvious. When you have your CPU out, could always take a pic of the pad side as well.

I cleaned everything as much as I could but there is a tiny fiber or hair stuck in the socket. I didn't see it until I took a pic. I don't have any compressed air, so I will get some tomorrow. I tried to get it out with my brush but it doesn't move at all.

IMG_20220418_223848.jpg

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
I cleaned everything as much as I could but there is a tiny fiber or hair stuck in the socket. I didn't see it until I took a pic. I don't have any compressed air, so I will get some tomorrow. I tried to get it out with my brush but it doesn't move at all.
Have you tried reassembling as is? That stray fiber might not interfere, but it certainly might, it's hard to tell from the pic. If it doesn't budge, you may have to, VERY carefully, nudge it with the head of a needle. If you can't get compressed air right away, just reinstall the CPU without cooler or paste, turn PC on its side, and just set the cooler on the CPU so you can boot up and verify your RAM slots are working again without overheating the CPU or having to repaste / remount it until it's working...if that makes sense.

Have you tried reassembling as is? That stray fiber might not interfere, but it certainly might, it's hard to tell from the pic. If it doesn't budge, you may have to, VERY carefully, nudge it with the head of a needle. If you can't get compressed air right away, just reinstall the CPU without cooler or paste, turn PC on its side, and just set the cooler on the CPU so you can boot up and verify your RAM slots are working again without overheating the CPU or having to repaste / remount it until it's working...if that makes sense.
I tried with a bit of thin guitar string ( closest thing to a needle I found ) and also by approaching my vacuum cleaner as much as possible. That was quite sketchy and didn't work. I will try with compressed air tomorrow and if it doesn't go away, then I'll reassemble it as is. I think I will also buy a 80mm fan to mount on the heatsink while it's out

Motherboard Dell T3500
Mouse Corsair Katar
Keyboard Ajazz AK33
Software Windows 10
I tried with a bit of thin guitar string ( closest thing to a needle I found ) and also by approaching my vacuum cleaner as much as possible. That was quite sketchy and didn't work. I will try with compressed air tomorrow and if it doesn't go away, then I'll reassemble it as is. I think I will also buy a 80mm fan to mount on the heatsink while it's out
Will a 90mm fan fit? And yeah, be super careful in that socket, especially going in there with things like a guitar string! One wrong move and you could be fubar'd. If you aren't confident, best to wait until you are, or just try running it again as is. Also...you shouldn't vacuum your PC hardware...unless it's with a "data vac" or whatever. Something about ions blah blah something something...can't remember lol

Last edited:
If you wait several minutes between runs, does the score go back up? Or did you only get that score once, and can't get it anymore?
ran the bench again after boot, via teamviewer from the mobile phone - score was 12400 :)
ran it again, 12300
so i guess it comes down with every test.

i will run it again using Remote Desktop Connection - where highest was 11800.

kind of weird for the value to change based on how i am using the pc - mobile Team Viewer vs Remote Desktop from anoter pc.

JHAKK

ran the bench again after boot, via teamviewer from the mobile phone - score was 12400 :)
ran it again, 12300
so i guess it comes down with every test.

i will run it again using Remote Desktop Connection - where highest was 11800.

kind of weird for the value to change based on how i am using the pc - mobile Team Viewer vs Remote Desktop from anoter pc.
could be heat/throttling?
do a fresh reboot and let it idle for a few mins...also kill all un-needed things from msconfig--startup...
good luck!

could be heat/throttling?
do a fresh reboot and let it idle for a few mins...also kill all un-needed things from msconfig--startup...
good luck!
It could the heat since first test was high score, second was lower.
Startup is taken care of :)

I will fiddle with it a bit out of curiosity keeping an eye on the temperature.

What is throttling?

All benches regardless of score (high or low) showed the 2.9GHz frequency for all cores.

My bad: cores have different clock speeds - quite weird.

Is this ok?

And what s with that vulnerability?
nevermind that, i don't care about it.
or should i? (online payments and stuff?)

Some cores run at 1100 while others at 3300.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-19-19-55-37-42_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-19-19-55-37-42_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
glad i got that off my chest :)
never observed this before - i could swear that the speeds were always the same for all.
but then again if i missed this once i could have missed it more in the past.
The reason for it is power savings. Modern CPU's will dynamically adjust/drop their speeds/voltage to meet load demand. When the CPU is barely being used, there's no need to run it at full speed and voltage.