• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Effect Audio Axiom In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Effect Audio is a Singapore-based audio brand famous for its unique, modular earphone cables. This modular aspect has carried over to its new Axiom in-ear monitors with compatibility for different cable types and tuning changes courtesy a novel modular unit implemented in these premium IEMs that merit a detailed look!

Show full review

$1500 for a pair of earphones and they only include one type of ear tip and no cable?
I know I'm not the target audience but that's just ridiculous.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
$1500 for a pair of earphones and they only include one type of ear tip and no cable?
I suppose you could look at it as a $1600 set with the cable and some spare tips, but yeah it's an acquired taste to say the least.

Leiesoldat

lazy gamer & woodworker
Supporter
System Name Arda
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570-I AORUS Pro WiFi
Cooling Custom Loop - Aquacomputer, Optimus, EK, Bykski
Memory GSkill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2x16) DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC RX 6800XT
Storage SK Hynix P41 1TB
Display(s) VIOTEK 3440 x 1440 144 Hz Curved
Case XTIA Proto-XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modius + Schiit Jotunheim
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 850W Titanium
Mouse Xtrfy MZ1 Zy's Rail Wireless
Keyboard Rainkeebs Yasui - Custom 40% Ortholinear
Software Windows 11 Pro
Considering most people in this market segment already get different cables from what comes with the IEM's, I consider this a good business decision by Axiom. I'm definitely interested in this pair, but not 1500 USD interested. I have cables for MMCX connectors, but most manufacturers use 2 pin instead so having the modular option is very intriguing.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Considering most people in this market segment already get different cables from what comes with the IEM's, I consider this a good business decision by Axiom. I'm definitely interested in this pair, but not 1500 USD interested. I have cables for MMCX connectors, but most manufacturers use 2 pin instead so having the modular option is very intriguing.
What's intriguing is the newer modules that are changing how the driver crossover works to an extent, which in turn is also changing the overall sound signature. I can't speak for it given no personal experience, but there's nothing else like this allowing a single base with longevity in a field where pretty much everything is flavor-of-the-month or doomed. Time will tell how well this is executed though, it's a lofty goal.

People generally have preferred connectors for various reasons. MCX is a better lock in and less prone to detach, but the connector is easier to damage, though 2 pin is the most common. But that doesn't really dictate cable purchase, mostly IEM purchase choices. The majority of the companies making cables are going to offer QDC, MMCX, and 2 pin options, along with 2.5, 3.5, and 4.4 conectors on the other end.

Most of the mid/high end IEM market is already purchasing their own cables, case, and ear tips anyways. Nobody who's in the market for something like this is going to bat a eyeball at 1500 (lots of companies clear 2000 on multiple models and the true high end makers hit 3500 with a few) or give a damn about the lack of accessories.

The IEM market that is going to want a cable, ear tips, and case is the pro IEM market. But that's not what or who this is targetting. That market is firmly in the Shure, Westone, Etymotic, UE, Sennheiser camp.

There's really brand segmentation here when it comes to the good stuff. The companies are either strictly audiophile or strictly professional, they don't cross streams for the most part. And it's easy to tell who their target is by taking a look at the product. Not that you couldn't use them for other things (I have shures and etymotics along with moondrops and JH audios so meh!) but their targets are different.

The real issue with this is that for the price their performance isn't all that good. The around 1500 dollar price point is saturated with brands and options that are amazing performers. It's also right above the even more saturated range of around 1000 bucks where a lot of them punch above their weight.

Reactions: VSG
Most of the mid/high end IEM market is already purchasing their own cables, case, and ear tips anyways. Nobody who's in the market for something like this is going to bat a eyeball at 1500 (lots of companies clear 2000 on multiple models and the true high end makers hit 3500 with a few) or give a damn about the lack of accessories.
That very much makes sense, as I said I'm clearly not the target audience and quite ignorant of the IEM market, but as an outsider checking out the review out of curiosity that sounded surreal! I kinda assumed audiophiles and composers would use expensive headphones and not IEMs, so I had no idea they get this expensive and complex.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
That very much makes sense, as I said I'm clearly not the target audience and quite ignorant of the IEM market, but as an outsider checking out the review out of curiosity that sounded surreal! I kinda assumed audiophiles and composers would use expensive headphones and not IEMs, so I had no idea they get this expensive and complex.
There are a few IEMs in the 6-8k USD region now, it's all happening in the past couple of years.

D

Deleted member 24505

Does this just prove how gullible IEM users are?

Does this just prove how gullible IEM users are?

6-8k is nothing. There are over the ear headphones that get into the tens of thousands of dollars. Also the cables for those over the ears head phones, yeah several thousand as well. The vast majority of everything sold though is under 500 bucks and the vast majority of IEMs sold are under 50 bucks, ditto for over ears.

IEMs don't get anywhere close to overear headphone costs for the headphones themselves, the cables, or the DACS and AMPS needed to drive them. You can hit 80K+ on over ear equipment, which is crazy.

https://audio46.com/products/abyss-ab-1266-phi-tc-headphone-complete-package 10-12 grand

it gets much much worse than that though!

18 grand https://www.sportique.com/products/...ipyYbAEQeK9gmrAsp8hVqnKtHLWVjUDxoCkq8QAvD_BwE

This is fifty thousand bucks, it requires a 10 grand downpayment

And you can still go up in price as long as you stick with overears.

The most common 100 buck+ headphones though are all wireless and bluetooth junk sold to morons because it's cool, like beats by dre!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Last edited by a moderator:
You use IEMs though so would say that

Also, here are a pair of Westone IEMs with bluetooth, kind of shits on your premise that any with bluetooth are rubbish. And you can't say Westone IEMs are rubbish can you
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Westone-Drivers-Earphones-Bluetooth-Cable/dp/B07PQY823M/ref=sr_1_2?crid=7XFG9PSZSXOI&keywords=Westone&qid=1652352436&s=electronics&sprefix=westone,electronics,61&sr=1-2

The bluetooth connection will make them rubbish because of the bluetooth connection and that you can't get proper amps and dacs that way due to power and space contraints. I've tried my IEMs with bluetooth and the difference is noticable and ugly! I went straight back to wires like a sane person. You still don't know what you are talking about. If it has connectable cables you can hook it to bluetooth, but only people concerned about not being seen with wires or really bad ears or bad sourced audio do such a thing.

I don't just use IEMs. At home at my desk I have overears for gaming, and Focal Utopia https://www.headphones.com/collections/focal/products/focal-utopia-open-back-over-ear-headphones Sennheiser HD 820s https://www.headphones.com/collections/sennheiser/products/sennheiser-hd-820 and HifiMan Sundaras https://www.headphones.com/collections/hifiman/products/hifiman-sundara ! Two of those cost well over what my IEMs cost and the sheer amount of power it takes to drive them means they are anything but portable. The DACs, AMPs, cables, for those over ears cost several times what the same options for IEMs do.

You hate IEMs we get that. You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the hardware around these as well. We get that as well. Now make like Tiger and bounce!

D

Deleted member 24505

The bluetooth connection will make them rubbish because of the bluetooth connection and that you can't get proper amps and dacs that way due to power and space contraints. I've tried my IEMs with bluetooth and the difference is noticable and ugly! I went straight back to wires like a sane person. You still don't know what you are talking about. If it has connectable cables you can hook it to bluetooth, but only people concerned about not being seen with wires or really bad ears or bad sourced audio do such a thing.

I don't just use IEMs. At home at my desk I have overears for gaming, and Focal Utopia https://www.headphones.com/collections/focal/products/focal-utopia-open-back-over-ear-headphones Sennheiser HD 820s https://www.headphones.com/collections/sennheiser/products/sennheiser-hd-820 and HifiMan Sundaras https://www.headphones.com/collections/hifiman/products/hifiman-sundara ! Two of those cost well over what my IEMs cost and the sheer amount of power it takes to drive them means they are anything but portable. The DACs, AMPs, cables, for those over ears cost several times what the same options for IEMs do.

You hate IEMs we get that. You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the hardware around these as well. We get that as well. Now make like Tiger and bounce!

Did i say i hate items. you are just so biased against wireless.

Last edited by a moderator: