• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoin Bloodbath Brings Cheer to Gamers as Graphics Card Prices Plummet

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
No. I don't even know why people do that. Bitcoin transaction fees make it almost unusable.
Are you telling me you can buy ANYTHING with any non-bitcoin currencies? I mean, you can hardly use bitcoin as payment in the first place.

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
I've had cards I ran HOT in SLI for years and they still worked fine; by hot I mean in the low 90s for temps and I'd game on them hours on end. You'd have constant high temps and rapid cooling when I stopped gaming, then constant high temps and rapid cooling, repeat this madness for 4+ years. The cards even went on to other systems and were used for years after. I still have one of them that I plan on screwing around with soon just because I can.

I've purchased new hardware and I've had it fail after a few uses.

Using your logic, based on my personal experiences, I shouldn't be buying new hardware because it's failed on me more often than my used, abused and aged hardware.

In mining you're streassing the vram to the max, but with undervolts and not using the full power of the card, so the fans never spin as much as they should, the end result is memories that are overstressed at high temperatures all the time.

Not to mention where this cards are used, most of the times with insufficient space between then, no external cooling.

Cooking vrams.

I've had cards I ran HOT in SLI for years and they still worked fine; by hot I mean in the low 90s for temps and I'd game on them hours on end. You'd have constant high temps and rapid cooling when I stopped gaming, then constant high temps and rapid cooling, repeat this madness for 4+ years. The cards even went on to other systems and were used for years after. I still have one of them that I plan on screwing around with soon just because I can.

I've purchased new hardware and I've had it fail after a few uses.

Using your logic, based on my personal experiences, I shouldn't be buying new hardware because it's failed on me more often than my used, abused and aged hardware.
24/7 usage is quite different than "normal" use, but component quality also is important, i have a power supply that have been running for 20+ years, my few cheap ones have lasted 5 years or less.

Cards used for mining is far more worn than a gamers card since they probably been running at full speed 24/7, causing solder, glue, components(capacitors in particular) and print board having far more heat damage and fans being pretty much worn out. To buy a card from a miner would be a very risky thing, and only be considered at a massively reduced price(1 fourth or less than retail).

A smart miner would buy the cheapest cards possible, using a overclocked premium card for mining makes no sense, it would be downright stupid to do so, a smart miner would under clock the card to make it more efficient, so manufactures that don't want them to be used for mining should focus on premium cards.
Agreed with this comment as, lets just say I've heard exactly what you have commented on.
but you know stupid people should not breed, but unfortunately this will happen... The same goes for ignorant people thinking they are getting a good deal on a "used" card, which we know that most likely the card was in a mining rig, being run into the ground.

As global inflation sets in, all prices will go up including that of GPU's.

I dont see much reason to celebrate the current situation.

The Rx 6900 xt has gone from $2000 last year to $900 today.

Compared to... what? 9% inflation on milk and eggs? Okay, I need to eat and all, but its clear that GPU prices are falling faster than inflation right now. GPU prices were artificially propped up by the cryptocoin market, and now that cryptocoins are less profitable, GPUs are dropping in price. Dramatically.

If GPUs drop from $2000 to $900, and then inflation makes that turn into $950 or whatever, that's... fine? I don't think I really care about the 5% to 10% estimated inflation rates right now. GPU prices are changing way faster than inflation... we can actually ignore inflation for all intents and purposes (despite inflation being historically high right now).

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to the next batch of "idiots invested everything into crypto and now lost their house" news stories. Crypto never has and never will be anything more than a get-rich-quick scheme that parts fools from their real money.

System Name Proper
Processor 5900X + OC
Motherboard GB X570s Elite AX
Cooling WC Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Memory G.Skill 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 3070 Ti Trinity LC'ed + OC
Storage KC2500 1TB + A2000 1TB
Display(s) GB M32Q
Case Fractal Define R6 USB C
Audio Device(s) Creative AE-7 + Phonic AM120 MkIII + H/K AVR 265 -> Paradigm Monitor 11 v.7 + AKG K712 Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-850
Mouse Log G502 X LS
Keyboard Keychron K5 Opt.brown
Software Win10 Pro
Agreed with this comment as, lets just say I've heard exactly what you have commented on.
but you know stupid people should not breed, but unfortunately this will happen... The same goes for ignorant people thinking they are getting a good deal on a "used" card, which we know that most likely the card was in a mining rig, being run into the ground.
It actually depends on who You're getting the card from. Lots of cards in mining rigs run with custom bios - undervolted and underclocked, so they're more efficient. Those are fine, as long as You swap the paste and pads (and get the original bios too). What You should avoid are the gpus from people who didn't know well what they're doing and were just happy with the results they got from cards on stock setup.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don't understand how Nvidia cards are still so expensive. They use the samsung process that is way cheaper than TSMC and it still WAY overpriced... Compared to AMD cards.
Because idiots still buy them

At ridiculous prices

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Are you telling me you can buy ANYTHING with any non-bitcoin currencies? I mean, you can hardly use bitcoin as payment in the first place.
Sure. As much as bitcoin anyways. I have a coinbase card, I buy things all the time with ethereum.

The way you buy anything with any of them though is usually to exchange it to a bank first.

Not gonna lie, I'm looking forward to the next batch of "idiots invested everything into crypto and now lost their house" news stories. Crypto never has and never will be anything more than a get-rich-quick scheme that parts fools from their real money.

Luna has dropped 99.9%+ this past week. These sob stories are already all over the place. Personally, I find them heartbreaking, but I have to keep reading them to remind myself that real people are hurting in these times.

The problem is the huge number of helpless idiots threw too much of their own money and financial security into this crap, thanks to shitty ads that tricked them into believing these cryptos were worthwhile. You're looking for high-yield bank accounts: you find a 20% APY for "UST" from Anchor. You learn how UST works, so you decide to dabble in Luna. Then everything just collapses a year later.

System Name Incomplete thing 1.0
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard B450 Aorus Elite
Cooling Gelid Phantom Black
Memory HyperX Fury RGB 3200 CL16 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 2060 Gaming OC PRO
Storage Dual 1TB 970evo
Display(s) AOC G2U 1440p 144hz, HP e232
Case CM mb511 RGB
Audio Device(s) Reloop ADM-4
Power Supply Sharkoon WPM-600
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Sharkoon SGK3 Blue
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2-5% over stock scores
3060ti isn't going for 890 again, and I honestly don't see why it would either. Time isn't kind on these prices as we inch towards new releases.

Still way too much though for this class of card.

View attachment 247118
Better pricing than the 2080 super of last gen with less power draw and very slightly better performance is technically an improvement price/performance but still not the dream 400-500 dollar.

That doesn't matter. If only BTC crashed then you'd just get more BTC for your hashing power and your earnings would stay the same.

Edit: besides NH is just a small and insignificant fraction of the mining market. It's for the noobs basically.
Right. Noobs and folks who prefer the 100% LHR unlock.

Also as I’m sure you know, when talking about crypto prices it’s a very rare instance when eth and btc aren’t following the exact same charting trend. Yes it occasionally happens, but certainly not on this last dive.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Sure. As much as bitcoin anyways. I have a coinbase card, I buy things all the time with ethereum.

The way you buy anything with any of them though is usually to exchange it to a bank first.
wait, what?

you mean instead of taking a dollar and directly handing it the other party i would have to hand it to a bank, who then hands it to the other party?

(if so) ok,. whatever.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
wait, what?

you mean instead of taking a dollar and directly handing it the other party i would have to hand it to a bank, who then hands it to the other party?

(if so) ok,. whatever.
Retarded if you ask me...

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

So it's a credit card, with credit whos value can fluctuate WILDLY hour to hour?

Does it also sell you snake oil?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
wait, what?

(if so) ok,. whatever.
It's not like I'm a crypto advocate anymore. This is what most people do though.

So it's a credit card, with credit whos value can fluctuate WILDLY hour to hour?

Does it also sell you snake oil?
More like a debit card, but meh. It also has cash back. I use stablecoins mostly, so no fluctuation. The ethereum I spend is from my mining screensaver, so heck yeah it's a good deal.

Retarded if you ask me...
As retarded as the stock market honestly.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Ive seen suicidal messages on some boards in terms of the BTC price plummeling.

Dont understand why you would put all your investment(s) into a coin that is based on, nothing!

The problem with the perception of the lay-person is that crypto makes you money without lifting a finger. Worse, people have seen the huge amounts some have gained through early adoption and believe that's going to happen to them. And people love the idea of just getting rich, quick. Some love it too much.

Without advice, some folks go all in without realising crypto isn't like investing in shares (where some form of regulation provides a little security, as well as paying dividends); it's just the same as gambling.

Not really. Still running my RX480. Hasn’t hurt me. Actually saved me and my family 100s of dollars. I was waiting for price drops but now that I have been waiting so long I have lost interest. I will probably wait for 7k series to see if they have full DP 2.0 and a revised media engine. If I can get a 7600 for under $425 CAD I might buy one.
Same here. Bought a GTX 1660 for £157 (new) a couple of years ago. Given that I'm fine with 1080p / 1080UW, have lost a lot of interest in newer AAA's and tend to play a lot more older games that either can't run at 1440p / 4K or have UI's that don't scale well, I'm definitely keeping it and don't feel like I'm being "hurt" at not spending out +£1,000 on a space heater just to bump up to 1440p. Even the replacement (RTX 3050) is £300 or almost +100% what I paid for barely +10% FPS with +0% efficiency gain after 3 years (in comparison the GTX 1060 was +80% faster vs GTX 960 with +60% efficiency gain and only +30% price increase after just 1 year). I have a backup GPU too (1650S that's only 10% slower in most games), so they can shove their "oh, but you must upgrade to keep the bubble inflating!". I can wait...

It actually depends on who You're getting the card from. Lots of cards in mining rigs run with custom bios - undervolted and underclocked, so they're more efficient. Those are fine, as long as You swap the paste and pads (and get the original bios too). What You should avoid are the gpus from people who didn't know well what they're doing and were just happy with the results they got from cards on stock setup.
There's zero practical way of the buyer knowing. I've seen posts in forums where one of those clueless miners asks why people undervolt when they can "overclock like me" to mine faster and then the next week put their own GPU's on Ebay with the clearly untrue words "always undervolted" simply because they've learned adding those two words might increase the chance of a sale. Likewise for "never been used for mining" GPU's and then when you click on the person's history / other items for sale, sure enough there's a mining based motherboard, multiple PSU's and 6x identical GPU's the week before. "Responsible miner (tm)" sales pitches are to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Alpenföhn Brocken 3 140mm
Memory Patriot Viper 4 - DDR4 3400 MHz 2x8 GB
Video Card(s) Radeon RX460 2 GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500, Samsung 860 500 GB, 2x Western Digital RED 4 TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2312HM
Case be quiet! Pure Base 500 + Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12 + 2x ARCTIC P14
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZxR,
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-650
Mouse Logitech G305
Keyboard Lenovo USB
The Rx 6900 xt has gone from $2000 last year to $900 today.

Compared to... what? 9% inflation on milk and eggs? Okay, I need to eat and all, but its clear that GPU prices are falling faster than inflation right now. GPU prices were artificially propped up by the cryptocoin market, and now that cryptocoins are less profitable, GPUs are dropping in price. Dramatically.

If GPUs drop from $2000 to $900, and then inflation makes that turn into $950 or whatever, that's... fine? I don't think I really care about the 5% to 10% estimated inflation rates right now. GPU prices are changing way faster than inflation... we can actually ignore inflation for all intents and purposes (despite inflation being historically high right now).
Agree. And lower tiered cards are still inflated as hell. 5600XT 280$ -> 6600XT 380$, while looking at specs the RX6600 series should have been a replacement for the RX5500 series cards, in naming and in price.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's not like I'm a crypto advocate anymore. This is what most people do though.

More like a debit card, but meh. It also has cash back. I use stablecoins mostly, so no fluctuation. The ethereum I spend is from my mining screensaver, so heck yeah it's a good deal.

As retarded as the stock market honestly.
Hahaha, joke's on you then.

Who's next...

Processor i7-4790K 4.6GHz @1.29v
Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VII Z97
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory G. Skill Trident X 2x8GB 2133MHz
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf RTX 3060 V1 FHR (Newegg Shuffle)
Storage OS 120GB Kingston V300, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB , 3TB Hitachi HDD, 2x5TB Toshiba X300, 500GB M.2 @ x2
Display(s) Lenovo y27g 1080p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) AKG Q701's w/ O2+ODAC (Sounds a little bright)
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Rosewill Full Size. Red Switches. Blue Leds. RK-9100xBRE - Hate this. way to big
Software Win10
Benchmark Scores 3DMark FireStrike Score : needs updating
NH claims they have over a million active workers every day, that's at least a dozen million graphics cards in use for mining. It's not insignificant.
At LEAST? You're saying at minimum each rig on NH has 12GPUs.
Nobody with the know how to put a 12GPU rig together is then pointing it at NH. Iirc 12 is like the max you can put to a rig.

Some of yall just absolute seething over crypto and gpus.

A long as a mining card was given fresh air and not hot recirculated air then it's probably in better shape than most gamers cards who get heat cycled and put on pull full power in their tempered glass hotboxes.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
i honestly wasn't thinking if you were advocating just stuck me as different than what i expected.

however after some (sober) reflection- it not unlike what i do with paypal and my debit card.

Not just crypto, in general massive chip shortages/Covid induced spike in demand as well as NVidia/AMD heck OEM's hoarding GPU's to sell at B$ prices!

Most of the COVID19 demand spike was in the 40nm or 65nm older processes, for cars and washing machines. It was incredibly serious, but notice that DDR4 nor Flash spiked that much last year. I don't think there were that many extra laptops / desktops being made or bought (at least, beyond what was already expected).

GPUs being sold out, while DDR4 / DDR5 and NVMe flash doing fine though? That's suggests more of a crypto-boom than anything else. Who else puts 8x GPUs in one rig?