• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bitcoin Bloodbath Brings Cheer to Gamers as Graphics Card Prices Plummet

Most of the COVID19 demand spike was in the 40nm or 65nm older processes, for cars and washing machines.
Was it?

Not to mention the move to 7/8nm or better nodes only just begun during that time back in 2019/20 period. TSMC has increased capacity massively from back then, better yields & now moving on to 4nm or smaller nodes. So no I don't see how Covid wasn't a major factor in that, remember the spike in "work/study from home" PC's or other related hardware sales?

Yes.

So no I don't see how Covid wasn't a major factor in that, remember the spike in "work/study from home" PC's or other related hardware sales?

I'm not saying that Desktops / Laptops demand weren't elevated last year.

I'm saying that when you have these talking heads talking about CHIP SHORTAGE, they're talking about the idle factories and disrupted supply chains that reverberated across America for nearly a year. The CHIP SHORTAGE (40nm-class) was epic, on a level almost never before seen.

The "chip shortage" (7nm class) was... a bit worse than normal but within the realm of reason. And I cite DDR4 / NAND Flash as proof of this, which really wasn't affected.

7nm factories are different than 40nm factories, and both are "chips". The fact that Presidents / Prime Ministers moved to secure more chips was more about the 40nm and 28nm classes used by the automotive industry (and other manufacturing firms), rather than the high-tech stuff like 7nm or 5nm stuff that we techies like to use.

--------

As such, I blame "GPU Shortages" on the cryptocoin community, as profitability was through the roof for all of 2021. Again, who builds computers with 8x GPUs per computer, but the same amount of RAM / NAND Flash as before? Cryptocoin miners. And the supply-chain disruptions (for us high-tech 7nm users) were almost entirely centered upon GPUs, not on DDR4, Flash, or other components.

Last edited:
And I cite DDR4 / NAND Flash as proof of this.
How so? The biggest sales on those nodes were from Apple, MediaTek, Qualcomm & then probably AMD. The first 3 have all long term supplies secured, for NAND & DRAM, with reasonable pricing (fixed) in place for their key markets. Not to mention hiking prices of these components would only lower their overall sales in a vicious market with low visibility & lots of other issues to deal with, this was during several quarters of Covid. Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron, YMTC et al are greedy but not stupid.

Last edited:
How so? The biggest sales on those nodes were from Apple, MediaTek, Qualcomm & then probably AMD. The first 3 have all long term supplies secured, for NAND & FLASH, with reasonable pricing (fixed) in place for their key markets. Not to mention hiking prices of these components would only lower their overall sales in a vicious market with low visibility & lots of other issues to deal with, this was during several quarters of Covid. Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron, YMTC et al are greedy but not stupid.

I was watching $1 voltage-controllers get sold out in 2021. Completely gone, 6-month, 9-month, 21-month lead times. The price of these chips tripled to $3 (which is a big deal, since you need hundreds or even thousands of these chips to make a EV battery).

"Chip shortage (40nm+ class)" is different from "Chip shortage (7nm class)". That's my point. Low-tech chips ran out completely, to the point where Ford / GM / Toyota just closed down their factories temporarily, and appliance makers also shut down.

--------

You're talking about "Chip shortage (7nm class)", which... was negligible in comparison. We never saw a disruption to DDR4 RAM or NAND Flash supply. Or hell, even CPU supply was 100% fine all of last year. Only GPUs were in a shortage. As usual, the CPUs would sell-out upon release, but after a week or two things were fine again.

When people talk about "COVID19 chip shortage", they aren't talking about us techies. They're talking about low-tech chips for manufacturers.

I was talking specifically about GPU prices, which you said was primarily(?) because of cryptocoins? There's no such evidence because they could also have been due to the lack of adequate capacity, for both AMD & NVidia, & competing interests in the CPU(x86) & mobile markets which have traditionally a much larger share of capacity as well as sales in the overcall chip market. Think of it like this ~
AMD buys X amount of wafers from TSMC, Covid strikes & demand spikes up at least 20% across the board, you don't remember the 5xxx series availability in the last two years? So what does AMD do ~ invest more in securing higher capacity for their dGPU or just sell every CPU they can make, especially EPYC, & then try their hand at IC version of Russian Roulette?

It's relatively easier for Nvidia because dGPU is their bread & butter, shifting or apportioning capacity between their consumer & enterprise lines is much easier for them as compared to AMD who have what 10 different major product lines?

Basically I'm blaming (both) manufacturers & OEM's more for this (pricing) mess than the cryptocoin bubble which seems to have popped.

Last edited:
because of cryptocoins? There's no such evidence because they could also have been due to the lack of adequate capacity,

Its not like we ran out of Apple M1 chips, Apple iPhones, Samsung phones, Qualcomm Snapdragons, Intel x86 chips, network-adapters, NAND Flash or DDR4 / DDR5 RAM last year.

What did we run out of? GPUs. And GPUs only. Why would we run out of GPUs only? Is there any particular customer who was beyond-the-norm profitable in 2020 and 2021 that would have gobbled up every GPU they could get their hands on?

----

If this really was a broad-market 7nm shortage, like you allege, then we would have run out of laptops, phones, and desktops last year. But we didn't. We only ran out of GPUs. You need to explain why the GPU market was specifically in high-demand, and no other market (CPU, NAND Flash, or DDR4 RAM) was in high-demand.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Just checked local micro center
There is no plummet only new thing is reserve is live on instock gpu's so fake news on the plummet bit :laugh:

Hi,
Just checked local micro center
There is no plummet only new thing is reserve is live on instock gpu's so fake news on the plummet bit :laugh:

I've been watching the 3070 Ti drop from $1000 at Microcenter (a few months ago) to $800 about two weeks ago to $699 just right now. This is still $100+ over MSRP, but much better than before.

AMD 6900xt cards in particular are nearly MSRP at my Microcenter at $950 right now.

What did we run out of? GPUs. And GPUs only. Why would we run out of GPUs only? Is there any particular customer who was beyond-the-norm profitable in 2020 and 2021 that would have gobbled up every GPU they could get their hands on?
Not exactly true is it, like I said for 5xxx chips & their pricing or the consoles?

Not exactly true is it, like I said for 5xxx chips & their pricing or the consoles?

5xxx chips can be simply explained by AMD not having enough money to buy up more TSMC space (as well as expecting better competition from Intel. I think we were all surprised to see just how well Zen3 performed relative to Intel).

But its not like Intel ran out of chips last year.

I think you have a point on the consoles, which could be explained by the COVID19 situation (more people indoors, fewer people on trips). But the Nintendo Switch (NVidia-made chips) didn't run out. Since its "just" AMD who ran out of chips in this example, the common-thread / occam's razor is that AMD didn't buy enough chip capacity from TSMC.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11 Enterprise IoT 2024
Hahaha, joke's on you then.
I use stablecoins with actual currency backing, not crypto backing. That was always going to be a bad idea. You can't back air with more air.

USDC is holding steady, as always.

Just thought of this one, if this is your argument.

Why did Rx 6900 xt graphics card prices drop by $500 over the past few weeks? PS5 and XBOX are still sold out everywhere. The only thing that has changed is that Ethereum has gone from $3500 to $2000ish highly suggesting a change in miners. Gamers are still buying up PS5 / XBOX consoles at the same rate.

GPUs are suddenly available at MSRP. This sudden supply glut coincides with a historic Ethereum crash.

In other news the usual (at least) once in a decade stock market bust is probably upon us! Should've happened somewhere around 2019-20 if it weren't for Covid. Yes I remember that crash but I'm talking bigger like 2008 or 2000 levels.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Nobody with the know how to put a 12GPU rig together is then pointing it at NH.

You can always check their subreddit and convince yourself that many do in fact own and run that many GPUs.

A long as a mining card was given fresh air and not hot recirculated air then it's probably in better shape than most gamers cards who get heat cycled and put on pull full power in their tempered glass hotboxes.

Nice joke, that's not how this works. Even if the GPU is kept cooled components have a limited lifetime, a GPU that has run 24/7 even in perfect conditions will categorially still have a lower lifetime than one used for gaming maybe 3-4 hours a day on average.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I use stablecoins with actual currency backing, not crypto backing. That was always going to be a bad idea. You can't back air with more air.

USDC is holding steady, as always.
Solvability was the problem underneath Terra's collapse though, right? How certain are you those dollars are real? Its not unlike bank runs, when the money isnt in the safe and faith collapses, I wonder how many of those dollars are actually available.

Its not like we ran out of Apple M1 chips, Apple iPhones, Samsung phones, Qualcomm Snapdragons, Intel x86 chips, network-adapters, NAND Flash or DDR4 / DDR5 RAM last year.

----

If this really was a broad-market 7nm shortage, like you allege, then we would have run out of laptops, phones, and desktops last year. But we didn't. We only ran out of GPUs. You need to explain why the GPU market was specifically in high-demand, and no other market (CPU, NAND Flash, or DDR4 RAM) was in high-demand.
Its a tiny market compared to other consumer product, responding quickly to trends. And... we did run out of lots of other stuff too.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Storage Intel 905p Optane 960GB boot, +2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
How certain are you those dollars are real?
USDC is run by circle consortium and despite the evil name they are far more transparent than anyone else books wise. This isn't tether and the like.

I wonder how many of those dollars are actually available.
IIRC, 60% is the goal in immediate liquidity. Or maybe 40, I forget. Either way it's a sizable liquid chunk.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
USDC is run by circle consortium and despite the evil name they are far more transparent than anyone else books wise. This isn't tether and the like.

IIRC, 60% is the goal in immediate liquidity.
And yet its unregulated unprotected and relies on faith. You just picked a different story to believe in. But its a story, exactly like other stablecoins can provide very smooth looking papers and websites.

System Name loon v4.0
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard asus Z590TUF+wifi
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory ballistix 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) eVga 3060 xc
Storage WD sn570 1tb(nvme) SanDisk ultra 2tb(sata)
Display(s) cheap 1080&4K 60hz
Case Roswell Stryker
Power Supply eVGA supernova 750 G6
Mouse eats cheese
Keyboard warrior!
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/21765182 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1114767
Nice joke, that's not how this works. Even if the GPU is kept cooled components have a limited lifetime, a GPU that has run 24/7 even in perfect conditions will categorially still have a lower lifetime than one used for gaming maybe 3-4 hours a day on average.
no joke, components' lifetimes are based on temps and time that have a negative correlation; decreased temps/increase time - at a rate of doubling it for every -10C in most examples.

that post has more creditability.

Was it?

Not to mention the move to 7/8nm or better nodes only just begun during that time back in 2019/20 period. TSMC has increased capacity massively from back then, better yields & now moving on to 4nm or smaller nodes. So no I don't see how Covid wasn't a major factor in that, remember the spike in "work/study from home" PC's or other related hardware sales?
Agree with you. 100%

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
And yet its unregulated unprotected and relies on faith. You just picked a different story to believe in. But its a story, exactly like other stablecoins can provide very smooth looking papers and websites.
I'm unsure how it's entirely faith. I mean, there is something backing it. But yeah it's not FDIC insured or anything (neither is paypal btw)

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I'm unsure how it's entirely faith. I mean, there is something backing it. But yeah it's not FDIC insured or anything (neither is paypal btw)
Paypal is backed by the US dollar in a real world economy which in turn is a regulated currency and a vast intertwined system of tried and tested checks and balances.

People have enough faith in that to assign US dollar as the world's primary coin to determine value and trade assets. They work and earn dollars directly too.

Everything in the economy is about faith.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Paypal is backed by the US dollar
About as much as circles usdc I'd wager. If you think 100% of their deposit assets are liquid, well, I can promise you they aren't.

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Most of the COVID19 demand spike was in the 40nm or 65nm older processes, for cars and washing machines.
Millenials discovered they could wash their clothes at home. 2020 was indeed a terrible year for laundromats.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL
Millenials discovered they could wash their clothes at home. 2020 was indeed a terrible year for laundromats.
u must be a boomer with that kind of knowledge.... :D :D

xd GIF