• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD's Upcoming Zen 4 CPU Delidded by Overclocker

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I take things personally when it is aimed at me, which your replys to my comments quite often are.

And it's not my precious, it's just a CPU. AMD users on here are far more touchy about their precious than me.

Let's just see how zen4 and AM5 pan out. Intel has been using these socket types for a long let's see how AM5 goes for AMD.

Not a great fan of the IHS design but hopefully it'll be ok.
Well AMD do use LGA on server so it's not new, they should be fine.

I argue against your opinion, btw, it's your opinion, not you that's debatable.

With an IHS that thick, and non-centered Chiplets, I'm wondering if a composite IHS would be 'in the cards'. Either 2 copper sheets sandwiching a sheet of pyrolytic graphite, or 2 copper sheets CVD'd with Graphene and pressed together. Copper conducts heat well, but evenly. 2D and semi-2D carbon allotropes conduct heat across their planar axis considerably better than copper or silver does.

Unlike a decade or 2 ago, (when tech enthusiasts first started 'playing with' allotropic carbons' thermal properties) pyrolytic graphite and/or graphene are common materials nowadays in microelectronics cooling.
But that is (relatively) expensive. They could just slap a slab of metal and call it a day. I guess it all depends on what they want to acheive?

But it makes sense, imo. Unlike monolithic dies, small chiplets concentrate heat into a tiny, non-central spot, which isn't ideal for cooling. You'd rather want to dissipate that heat in order to use as much of your cooler's coldplate area as possible. Zen 2 and 3's problem has always been heat dissipation.
Having an extra-chunky IHS will also add to the thermal mass and make it easier to air-cool. I'm guessing LN2 and high-end water chillers will suffer, but that's such a tiny niche market that custom-build their own retention bracket and probably delid their CPUs anyway.
That only helps if the other source can then dissipate the heat effectively enough

It just doesn't help. Having a bigger IHS means having a bigger thermal resistence between die and heatsink. They can mitigate that by reducing the thermal resistence of the other interfaces (like having thinner dies or a better contact solution between die and ihs) but it's always summing: R(core-die)+R(die-ihs)+R(ihs-heatsink)+R(heatsink-air). By having a bigger resistence in the middle you can either reduce the other ones (other than having fans at higher speed not that easy) or it will run hotter.

I think it would have been better to just have a different height and require a mount adapter (probably also change the hole pattern to avoid incorrect pressure by people not using the correct mount). Another option would be to start designing coolers and socket with variable height in mind and provide a torque wrench (like for the threadripper socket, different problem but same solution). Riskier but much more effective than relying on the screws bottoming out anyway.

Last edited:
I wonder why they don't make IHS's with built-in water blocks? You know, just hook up the hoses and let it rip!

I for one will gladly pay for such option. With power reaching 250W every degree helps. I'd estimate at least 5-6C lower temps with such solution, which should do miracles here.

I mean the easiest answer to that is probably because you don't need to you can simply mount one. I'm not convinced it would be wise to do anyway because not everyone water cools nor intends to do so. That said I'm doing this custom DIY cooling on my next build. It's a tower cooler with a AIO 240mm's water block mounted on top of the tower coolers CPU block ID-Cooler SE-207 TRX 280w TDP cooler. I think I'm going to put a Grizzly thermal pad between the two blocks surfaces because paste might be too messy and too much hassle given the tight space constraints. I don't know what it'll be like, but I can't wait to find out how it all turns out when Zen4/Raptor Lake arrives.

CPU COOLER.jpg

If it works out well what I'd like to see is a company like Noctua adopt integrating a water block cooler onto the top portion of a tower cooler rather than trying to mount like have it designed to be integrated in the first place. It would really open up possibilities especially in SFF along with high TDP cooling requirements. Also something I had thought up is you could potentially have stacked blocked that each go to a separate AIO radiator loop mounting point within a case if a cooler were design with that concept in mind.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
It just doesn't help. Having a bigger IHS means having a bigger thermal resistence between die and heatsink. They can mitigate that by reducing the thermal resistence of the other interfaces (like having thinner dies or a better contact solution between die and ihs) but it's always summing: R(core-die)+R(die-ihs)+R(ihs-heatsink)+R(heatsink-air). By having a bigger resistence in the middle you can either reduce the other ones (other than having fans at higher speed not that easy) or it will run hotter.
With all due respect, I disagree. If you have a pretty standard tower cooler with 4 direct contact heatpipes, and only one chiplet offset to one side, then all the heat is concentrated below 2 heatpipes while the other 2 run cold. You need to dissipate the heat evenly across the contact surface of the cooler.

I experienced this problem with a R5 3600 that I had to dial down to an actual 65 W PPT from the factory 88 to prevent it from throttling with a be quiet! Shadow Rock LP, while my i7 11700 can easily do 100-120 W with the same cooler. The heatsink was cold to the touch on the 3600 even after several remounts, so it was definitely a contact issue.

Chiplets might be a great thing in some applications, but really awful in others (like SFF builds). I think the thick IHS is supposed to mitigate this issue, though we'll only see for sure when Zen 4 is out for sale. Heck, I might buy one just to test my theory.

I mean the easiest answer to that is probably because you don't need to you can simply mount one. I'm not convinced it would be wise to do anyway because not everyone water cools nor intends to do so. That said I'm doing this custom DIY cooling on my next build. It's a tower cooler with a AIO 240mm's water block mounted on top of the tower coolers CPU block ID-Cooler SE-207 TRX 280w TDP cooler. I think I'm going to put a Grizzly thermal pad between the two blocks surfaces because paste might be too messy and too much hassle given the tight space constraints. I don't know what it'll be like, but I can't wait to find out how it all turns out when Zen4/Raptor Lake arrives.

View attachment 250334

If it works out well what I'd like to see is a company like Noctua adopt integrating a water block cooler onto the top portion of a tower cooler rather than trying to mount like have it designed to be integrated in the first place. It would really open up possibilities especially in SFF along with high TDP cooling requirements. Also something I had thought up is you could potentially have stacked blocked that each go to a separate AIO radiator loop mounting point within a case if a cooler were design with that concept in mind.
I am willing to bet that if someone introduces a factory-mounted WC IHS it will sell well. Of course, many people will still run AIO or air towers but the market is there!

Come on, AMD! Do a trial run and see how market reacts!

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
I am willing to bet that if someone introduces a factory-mounted WC IHS it will sell well. Of course, many people will still run AIO or air towers but the market is there!

It would be easy to standardise the fitting,s, It would cool better being soldered direct to die too , amazing idea, I think they're actually already used, but not in consumer electronics, great Idea, I would buy.

With all due respect, I disagree. If you have a pretty standard tower cooler with 4 direct contact heatpipes, and only one chiplet offset to one side, then all the heat is concentrated below 2 heatpipes while the other 2 run cold. You need to dissipate the heat evenly across the contact surface of the cooler.

I experienced this problem with a R5 3600 that I had to dial down to an actual 65 W PPT from the factory 88 to prevent it from throttling with a be quiet! Shadow Rock LP, while my i7 11700 can easily do 100-120 W with the same cooler. The heatsink was cold to the touch on the 3600 even after several remounts, so it was definitely a contact issue.

Chiplets might be a great thing in some applications, but really awful in others (like SFF builds). I think the thick IHS is supposed to mitigate this issue, though we'll only see for sure when Zen 4 is out for sale. Heck, I might buy one just to test my theory.

A cold plate/vapor chamber solves that, of course with direct contact heatpipes you'll have a higher resistance between the ones further away but the point still stands, more material in the heat path will mean a higher resistance (like in your single chiplet scenario, the heatpipes further away have more material in between). The "ideal" cooler would be direct contact (like laptops) but with that come mounting and reliability challenges.

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
A cold plate/vapor chamber solves that, of course with direct contact heatpipes you'll have a higher resistance between the ones further away but the point still stands, more material in the heat path will mean a higher resistance (like in your single chiplet scenario, the heatpipes further away have more material in between). The "ideal" cooler would be direct contact (like laptops) but with that come mounting and reliability challenges.
You'd have to mount that directly onto the chiplet, not on the centre of the CPU package.

Perhaps a soldered vapor chamber that you mount a Wraith top down cooler that provides airflow in around the VRM's that has a water block integrated into the top of the heatpipe base or soldered to it in which you can expand cooling via a custom water loop? I could see AMD exploring the idea they already do water cooling options for GPU's why not expand it to CPU side!!?

Software Windows 10 Pro
Perhaps a soldered vapor chamber that you mount a Wraith top down cooler that provides airflow in around the VRM's that has a water block integrated into the top of the heatpipe base or soldered to it in which you can expand cooling via a custom water loop? I could see AMD exploring the idea they already do water cooling options for GPU's why not expand it to CPU side!!?
Or why not integrate the vapour chamber into the IHS if it's so thick anyway?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I like it, thicker IHS should help with the bendy issues intel is suffering from, as well as sort out the heat density issues the 5800x suffers from

System Name KarymidoN TitaN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570
Cooling Custom Watercooling Loop
Memory 2x Kingston FURY RGB 16gb @ 3200mhz 18-20-20-39
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8GB
Storage Kingston NV2 1TB| 4TB HDD
Display(s) 4X 1080P LG Monitors
Case Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply Corsair TX 600
Mouse Logitech G300S
230w PPT, thick ihs, smaller process.. these are gonna be hot. I already know how hard it is to cool 230w PPT.
not hard at all, AMD has been testing internally with NHD-15, the same one that has an 12900KS at almost 100ÂşC so pretty much standard high end cooling

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply Seasonic Vertex GX-1000, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
not hard at all, AMD has been testing internally with NHD-15, the same one that has an 12900KS at almost 100ÂşC so pretty much standard high end cooling
I guess you missed the part where I said I know what it’s like to cool 235w PPT. I can get my 5900X to do those numbers. Now, knowing what I know and then taking into account the smaller process and thicker IHS, it may be a warm one. I also have a high end cooler, it is just as good as a D15. Might even be better slightly.

So long as the performance per watt is better than the 129000K/129000KS it won't be so pathetic. The whole issue with those two chips in particular relative to the 5950x is they are gaudy in that area at least for multi-thread, but they are also very multi-thread driven CPU's at the same time so jacking power consumption for a pretty minor single thread performance win while like doubling power consumption in full load multi-thread is piss poor trade off and in world where worsening heat is the enemy to the majority at the same time. For the record I don't think CPU's TDP are very out of hand right now GPU's are where things have gone off the rails entirely and getting worse.

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
we're talking CPU's who draw a lot of power and generate a lot of heat right?
No.. we are talking AM5..

i would elaborate my point further but your mind is not open to the reality. best of luck.
Lol.. ok.

But so you know, my 5900X is not the highest wattage CPU that I have owned. We were dipping our toes into 300w oced cpus a decade ago.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
No.. we are talking AM5..

Lol.. ok.

But so you know, my 5900X is not the highest wattage CPU that I have owned. We were dipping our toes into 300w oced cpus a decade ago.
Dp by a mod :D

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
With an IHS that thick, you could machine it into a waterblock if you got the courage... Being LGA would help with that. The main issue would be sealing it, you would need a custom o-ring.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
With an WC IHS they can route the water flow exactly over the chiplets in order to maximize cooling only where it is needed.
That's just delidding and direct die cooling with extra steps :p

We may well see extreme edition CPU's in the future with built in soldered waterblock IHS in all honesty.

I'm surprised i havent seen that mentioned before now, but they simply could have a finned IHS (pay someone like EK for rights to a good design) with screw holes and let companies make custom tops for it.

Software Windows 10 Pro
That's just delidding and direct die cooling with extra steps :p

We may well see extreme edition CPU's in the future with built in soldered waterblock IHS in all honesty.

I'm surprised i havent seen that mentioned before now, but they simply could have a finned IHS (pay someone like EK for rights to a good design) with screw holes and let companies make custom tops for it.
The only problem with that would be maintenance. You can swap out a waterblock if it gets gunked up, but what do you do with it if it's soldered to your CPU?:fear:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The only problem with that would be maintenance. You can swap out a waterblock if it gets gunked up, but what do you do with it if it's soldered to your CPU?:fear:
brush it clean, like you do with any waterblock
To be clear i meant the coldplate specifically, this part:

1654845076692.png

If that was soldered direct to the die with tight tolerances, you'd be able to deal with heat density on high wattage parts.
I can totally see this happening if these power consumption trends continue.

Partner with a waterblock company like EK with an official top, and let all the other companies make their own ones. You'd have AIO's with a fill port before you could sneeze.

Software Windows 10 Pro
brush it clean, like you do with any waterblock
To be clear i meant the coldplate specifically, this part:

View attachment 250471

If that was soldered direct to the die with tight tolerances, you'd be able to deal with heat density on high wattage parts.
I can totally see this happening if these power consumption trends continue.

Partner with a waterblock company like EK with an official top, and let all the other companies make their own ones. You'd have AIO's with a fill port before you could sneeze.
Ah! That makes sense. :)