• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Quick Look: FiiO K5 Pro ESS Desktop DAC/Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
FiiO updates its popular K5 Pro desktop DAC/amp combo unit with the ESS version that puts the ES9038Q2M DAC to good use with lots of clean power, plenty of I/O options for PC users, line/headphone out support with configurable gain, and a large, comfortable volume knob!

Show full review

System Name Garbage / Trash
Processor Ryzen 5600X / 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Ti / GB B550M Aorus Pro-P
Cooling Deepcool GTE / ID Cooling SE224XT
Memory Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 E-die @ 3600C16 / Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI 2060 Super Armor OC / Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
Storage HP EX920 1TB Micron 1100 2TB, Crucial M550 1TB, Hynix P31 1TB
Display(s) Acer XB271HU @ 150Hz x2
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR305 + Topping D50S / iLoud MM + SMSL DO100
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W / G-series 650W
Mouse Logitech G304 x2
Failing to see why I shouldn't just get the Topping DX3 Pro+ instead.

Yes. For $200 is has no SE output and no MQA support (although it's a snake oil). No display either.

Also, I didn't see it in the article - how is the hiss with super sensitive IEM?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yes. For $200 is has no SE output and no MQA support (although it's a snake oil). No display either.

Also, I didn't see it in the article - how is the hiss with super sensitive IEM?
The only ones that this hissed with slightly were some of the Campfire Audio IEMs here, but really those hiss with pretty much everything that I've tried. Also, did you mean no balanced output? This has a 1/4" headphone output on the front.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I'm still using a Cambridge Audio DACMagic+ but it's getting old and probably needs to be dismantled to have the potentiometer replaced after a decade of near-daily use.

I've always wanted a heavy (ie, stays put on the desk) DAC with a simple volume knob and since I'm going to active desktop monitors I don't need fancy balanced outputs, just regular TRS is fine. Annoyingly everything in the chonky, 'stays put on desk' category usually requires external power and is way more complicated than I need for a simple external USB DAC with a volume knob. The stuff I need is effectively a portable headphone amp but they're usually tiny little things with delicate little potentiometers and would be dragged off the back of the desk by the weight of the cables alone.

Any suggestions? This K5 would be nice but again the USB requirement means it's yet another power brick and yet more needless cable spaghetti to hide somewhere.

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
I purchased the FiiO New K3 a few months ago (which I've really enjoyed) and it's sent me down the rabbit hole of looking for "better" headphones and amps/DACs. I initially went with the K3 since it was reasonably priced at $109 with no power brick and my headphones weren't anything special (ATH-M30, the old ones.... and KSC75). Now I'm looking at some harder to drive cans in the 250 ohm range and find it really hard to resist buying the Topping DX3 Pro+ after a few beers.

I'm still using a Cambridge Audio DACMagic+ but it's getting old and probably needs to be dismantled to have the potentiometer replaced after a decade of near-daily use.

I've always wanted a heavy (ie, stays put on the desk) DAC with a simple volume knob and since I'm going to active desktop monitors I don't need fancy balanced outputs, just regular TRS is fine. Annoyingly everything in the chonky, 'stays put on desk' category usually requires external power and is way more complicated than I need for a simple external USB DAC with a volume knob. The stuff I need is effectively a portable headphone amp but they're usually tiny little things with delicate little potentiometers and would be dragged off the back of the desk by the weight of the cables alone.

Any suggestions? This K5 would be nice but again the USB requirement means it's yet another power brick and yet more needless cable spaghetti to hide somewhere.
Do you insist on power from regular USB3.0 ports?

It would be fun to see so how this stacks up against the apple usb dongle dac - which the hifi community recommends as the go to 1st budget dac ($10).

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Ideally yes, power and data through the same cable.
Well, once again I will go with ifi xDSD Gryphon. It can be fed from a separate, dedicated USB port or it could be fed via the data USB one.
It also has a built-in battery, so it can be taken on the go.

Sound and feature wise you can't get anything better. EDIT: for this amount of money.

If it fits yoir budget, I strongly recommend it. For your needs it may be even an end game.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Well, once again I will go with ifi xDSD Gryphon. It can be fed from a separate, dedicated USB port or it could be fed via the data USB one.
It also has a built-in battery, so it can be taken on the go.

Sound and feature wise you can't get anything better. EDIT: for this amount of money.

If it fits yoir budget, I strongly recommend it. For your needs it may be even an end game.
Holy crap, thanks for the recommendation but that's overkill and six times what I paid for my already overkill solution.
Perhaps I should look at the $10 Apple USB dongle DAC and a $50 desk-mounted inline volume control ;)

Holy crap, thanks for the recommendation but that's overkill and six times what I paid for my already overkill solution.
Perhaps I should look at the $10 Apple USB dongle DAC and a $50 desk-mounted inline volume control ;)
Hmm. I see. But even a tolerable USB DAC dongle costs north of $100. And that's the mid-end ESS ones.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Hmm. I see. But even a tolerable USB DAC dongle costs north of $100. And that's the mid-end ESS ones.
I guess my ears aren't that discerning. I have room modes that are more significant to me than the DAC quality, provided the DAC isn't complete garbage. Room EQ Wizard and Equalizer APO do most of the work IMO. The DAC's job is just to support the right formats, have a reasonably decent response curve, and not hiss like a motherf*cker.

I guess my ears aren't that discerning. I have room modes that are more significant to me than the DAC quality, provided the DAC isn't complete garbage. Room EQ Wizard and Equalizer APO do most of the work IMO. The DAC's job is just to support the right formats, have a reasonably decent response curve, and not hiss like a motherf*cker.
The decoding part is done by a separate chip/processor/stage.

DAC's job is quite important and its design, together with a good timing sources is the heart and soul of the sound. So to speak.

Then, you need the analog amp stage. When this is underperforming even the best DAC can sound dull or even bad.

My point (not that I'm defending it) is that you spend some cash for a good setup and then call it a day, year or a decade.
I have many friends who love music but they are perfectly OK with $10 earbuds, fed by some $300 laptop...

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
The decoding part is done by a separate chip/processor/stage.

DAC's job is quite important and its design, together with a good timing sources is the heart and soul of the sound. So to speak.

Then, you need the analog amp stage. When this is underperforming even the best DAC can sound dull or even bad.

My point (not that I'm defending it) is that you spend some cash for a good setup and then call it a day, year or a decade.
I have many friends who love music but they are perfectly OK with $10 earbuds, fed by some $300 laptop...
Analogue amp is contained in the studio monitors, they just need line-in.
As for "spend good cash and enjoy for a decade", yes. My setup is old as shit because I bought decent quality in the beginning, and the only bit that needs repairing/replacing is a potentiometer in an otherwise great DAC and it's already 9 years old.

Analogue amp is contained in the studio monitors, they just need line-in.
As for "spend good cash and enjoy for a decade", yes. My setup is old as shit because I bought decent quality in the beginning, and the only bit that needs repairing/replacing is a potentiometer in an otherwise great DAC and it's already 9 years old.
Well, it sounds to me that all you need is a good new knob. Solder one yourself or pay someone $20 bucks to do it for you? :D

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Well, it sounds to me that all you need is a good new knob. Solder one yourself or pay someone $20 bucks to do it for you? :D
You're right, but this review of the K5 Pro ESS is another straw on the camel's back, and my camel is called "MoneyBurningAHoleInMyPocket". He's a very stubborn and irrational camel, too.
Should I also point out that it's rude to talk about a man's knob in public? I'm not offended but please think of the innocent children!

• Haha
Reactions: VSG
You're right, but this review of the K5 Pro ESS is another straw on the camel's back, and my camel is called "MoneyBurningAHoleInMyPocket". He's a very stubborn and irrational camel, too.
Should I also point out that it's rude to talk about a man's knob in public? I'm not offended but please think of the innocent children!
Now, I just finished a rare bottle of single malt. If you were nearby I'd smashed it in your head, you cheap b-word! :D

Also, what 'innocent children' in the era of Internet? Every 3 years old has either a tablet or a phone. Whoever is not on PH is either on /pol or reddit, or Onlyfans...

It would be fun to see so how this stacks up against the apple usb dongle dac - which the hifi community recommends as the go to 1st budget dac ($10).
The apple lightning DAC is IIRC only 24bit 96khz, though the USB C one may be higher (this is often the case of companies that make both options) which isn't a deal breaker for a phone based DAC.

But the apple options have two problems. They lack the power to drive certain things and they break easy. If you don't need a portable don't go portable.

The apple lightning DAC is IIRC only 24bit 96khz, though the USB C one may be higher (this is often the case of companies that make both options) which isn't a deal breaker for a phone based DAC.

But the apple options have two problems. They lack the power to drive certain things and they break easy. If you don't need a portable don't go portable.
If you need higher bitrate and sampling frequencies with Apple you need the Lighting camera cable, or whatever it's called.

If you need higher bitrate and sampling frequencies with Apple you need the Lighting camera cable, or whatever it's called.

There's a USB3 to Lightning Camera Adapter that you need and it's a very clunky setup. And adapting USB-C to lightning for other DACs doesn't really get you the higher bit rate despite what they are claiming. Will get you the amp though!

There's a USB3 to Lightning Camera Adapter that you need and it's a very clunky setup. And adapting USB-C to lightning for other DACs doesn't really get you the higher bit rate despite what they are claiming. Will get you the amp though!
I haven't tried it myself. This time I'm only saying what I've read.

I have one, it works very well, the uber high sampling rates are frankly overrated in my opinion and the general performance of the DAC is much more important.

It doesn't lack power for much, obviously this isn't something that can drive 600ohm cans. Keep in mind it's $10, it doesn't matter if you need portable or not, it's a great budget option and that is what r/headphones and many forums recommend if one is on a budget.

I have one, it works very well, the uber high sampling rates are frankly overrated in my opinion and the general performance of the DAC is much more important.

It doesn't lack power for much, obviously this isn't something that can drive 600ohm cans. Keep in mind it's $10, it doesn't matter if you need portable or not, it's a great budget option and that is what r/headphones and many forums recommend if one is on a budget.

I'm aware. But for the same cost as it's on sale you can get one from monoprice where the end connector casings are in metal and the cable is braided, it's 18 when not on sale. It doesn't break constantly, and it's black so it doesn't get dirty and nasty. For double the price you can find the Alpha Delta version on sale constantly. This also comes with aluminum housing for both connection ends and sports an all copper twisted/braided cable on it. While it's not as durable as the monoprice, it's still much more durable than the apple one and does not get dirty and look like ass.

Both of these are so much better built that even if you pay the full 18 for the mono price or 30 for the Alpha Delta it's cheaper within a bit over a year because they don't break, and you will probably be paying half price for either of those anyways.

The dongle can't properly drive higher end IEMs either so meh.

When they gave you one with the phone it made a lot of sense. They don't anymore. You get the USBC to lightning charging/data cable without the damn wall wart now!

I'm aware. But for the same cost as it's on sale you can get one from monoprice where the end connector casings are in metal and the cable is braided, it's 18 when not on sale. It doesn't break constantly, and it's black so it doesn't get dirty and nasty. For double the price you can find the Alpha Delta version on sale constantly. This also comes with aluminum housing for both connection ends and sports an all copper twisted/braided cable on it. While it's not as durable as the monoprice, it's still much more durable than the apple one and does not get dirty and look like ass.

Both of these are so much better built that even if you pay the full 18 for the mono price or 30 for the Alpha Delta it's cheaper within a bit over a year because they don't break, and you will probably be paying half price for either of those anyways.

The dongle can't properly drive higher end IEMs either so meh.

When they gave you one with the phone it made a lot of sense. They don't anymore. You get the USBC to lightning charging/data cable without the damn wall wart now!
The apple one doesn't break constantly - I have mine for 2 years now and it shows no signs of any breaking.

The DAC in the apple dongle is very good, why would I want to save a couple dollars and go with the monolith with an inferior dac? Makes no sense. And yes it can drive high end IEM easily and even my 250ohm DT 770 Pro.

No offence but it sound like you're just repeating what you're read on the net and don't actually own one.