• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 Planar Magnetic Wireless Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Edifier introduces the new STAX SPIRIT product line beginning with the S3 that uses custom planar magnetic drivers and Qualcomm technology to bring out a unique set of Bluetooth headphones. It boasts of excellent tuning and detailed sound with two sets of ear pads, a long 80 hour battery life with quick charging, and even app-based customization to make this a highly attractive option for audiophiles on the go.

Show full review

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but do they have any kind of IPX water rating?
I need a decent set of BT headphone for travel.

I looked at Anker Soundcore life Q30.

But maybe both serves different purpose?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but do they have any kind of IPX water rating?
I need a decent set of BT headphone for travel.

I looked at Anker Soundcore life Q30.

But maybe both serves different purpose?
I don't belive it's been officially tested, but I don't see anything different this does compared to some other typical IPX4 headphones when using the leather pads.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard B550 Aorus Elite v2
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 ARGB w/ Conductonaut
Memory 4x8 GB HyperX Fury 3600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X Trio
Storage 970 EVO 1TB, 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Display(s) Omen 32q
Case SilentiumPC Regnum RG6V EVO TG ARGB
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s+L30, Emu Teak, AH-D5200&D2000, HD660S2, Focal Elegia, SR325x, 7Hz Zero:2, MDR-1AM2, etc
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Xtrfy M4
Keyboard Alloy Origins 60
Software Win11
Benchmark Scores very high of course
Hi, great review, it seems I might want to sell my Momentum 3 and get these once they are available in CZ...
I would have two questions if I may: What BT codec was used when measuring them? And are they able to be used wired via USB? So that they play music while charging?

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Hi, great review, it seems I might want to sell my Momentum 3 and get these once they are available in CZ...
I would have two questions if I may: What BT codec was used when measuring them? And are they able to be used wired via USB? So that they play music while charging?
1) aptX or aptX HD depending on the PC used, there's zero difference for measurements. My actual listening here was mostly done a DAP and my phone with aptX Adaptive.

2) If you plug in the USB port to charge, all it does is charge. You can't play anything while charging. @TomasK, I've updated this reply because I was wrong earlier. I haven't needed to really charge this thing so I just checked for you.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Display(s) Omen 32q
Audio Device(s) Topping D10s+L30, Emu Teak, AH-D5200&D2000, HD660S2, Focal Elegia, SR325x, 7Hz Zero:2, MDR-1AM2, etc
Mouse Xtrfy M4
Software Win11
1) aptX or aptX HD depending on the PC used, there's zero difference for measurements. My actual listening here was mostly done a DAP and my phone with aptX Adaptive.

2) If you plug in the USB port to charge, all it does is charge. You can still play it via Bluetooth and it will be charging, those are two mutually exclusively processes. There is no wired playback over USB.

Thanks for the info. Now for suitability of aptX for measurements, I'm no expert, but there is this page with a lot of info about bluetooth codecs including testing and the author found that aptX has staggering -57 dB of noise when playing a 12.4 KHz sine, which I would consider not insignificant. AptX HD decreases the noise to what seems about -70 dB. But that's just when playing a sine wave of a specific frequency designed to cause trouble for the codec. So aptX might be OK for general music listening (it was designed for that) but maybe not for testing signals. Now the difference between wired and wireless in your FR measurements is really very small, insignificant, and might be just normal measurement-to-measurement variance, but what seems to be very slightly more energy in upper treble might just be from the aptX noise (or not, I dunno). Also, the author explains that manufacturers might chose slightly different tuning for each bluetooth codec, to try to overcome its weaknesses, that might also impact bluetooth measurements.
But hey, I'm no expert, your measurements look very good and are very informative, it's just that bluetooth audio is a mess (and I base my opinions on just a few articles on the subject like the one I've linked, so again, I by far do not have all the info/knowledge). Thanks for the review :D

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Now for suitability of aptX for measurements, I'm no expert, but there is this page with a lot of info about bluetooth codecs including testing and the author found that aptX has staggering -57 dB of noise when playing a 12.4 KHz sine, which I would consider not insignificant. AptX HD decreases the noise to what seems about -70 dB. But that's just when playing a sine wave of a specific frequency designed to cause trouble for the codec. So aptX might be OK for general music listening (it was designed for that) but maybe not for testing signals. Now the difference between wired and wireless in your FR measurements is really very small, insignificant, and might be just normal measurement-to-measurement variance, but what seems to be very slightly more energy in upper treble might just be from the aptX noise (or not, I dunno). Also, the author explains that manufacturers might chose slightly different tuning for each bluetooth codec, to try to overcome its weaknesses, that might also impact bluetooth measurements.
But hey, I'm no expert, your measurements look very good and are very informative, it's just that bluetooth audio is a mess (and I base my opinions on just a few articles on the subject like the one I've linked, so again, I by far do not have all the info/knowledge). Thanks for the review :D
I get what you mean, and there's definitely still a whole mess when it comes to Bluetooth audio and codecs. But a couple of things regarding that page: 1) it doesn't mention the exact testing conditions (SPL of the playback file, distance between the source and the receiver etc) that can heavily influence things, 2) I measure the FRs at ~80 dB max depending on the type of device it is, and there the noise floor for even AAC on Android is far lower (as also indicated in that page with the reduced aptX noise at lower amplitudes).

Lastly, of course I don't pick up every single peak and dip the artificial ears do but I often have to keep measuring and adjusting the fit/clamping pressure of IEMs/headphones to ensure the measurements match my own listening experience too. This is especially necessary in the lower and middle frequencies.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X
Display(s) Omen 32q
Mouse Xtrfy M4
Software Win11
I get what you mean, and there's definitely still a whole mess when it comes to Bluetooth audio and codecs. But a couple of things regarding that page: 1) it doesn't mention the exact testing conditions (SPL of the playback file, distance between the source and the receiver etc) that can heavily influence things, 2) I measure the FRs at ~80 dB max depending on the type of device it is, and there the noise floor for even AAC on Android is far lower (as also indicated in that page with the reduced aptX noise at lower amplitudes).

Lastly, of course I don't pick up every single peak and dip the artificial ears do but I often have to keep measuring and adjusting the fit/clamping pressure of IEMs/headphones to ensure the measurements match my own listening experience too. This is especially necessary in the lower and middle frequencies.

I think the tests they've done are using local encoding, meaning the signal is not actually transmitted wirelessly. The autor even created a web page that lets you encode audio using SBC, aptX and aptX HD, it's linked somewhere in the middle of the page.

Anyway, again, thanks for all the info. Are you planning on testing the Momentum 4 once they are available?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I think the tests they've done are using local encoding, meaning the signal is not actually transmitted wirelessly. The autor even created a web page that lets you encode audio using SBC, aptX and aptX HD, it's linked somewhere in the middle of the page.

Anyway, again, thanks for all the info. Are you planning on testing the Momentum 4 once they are available?
I doubt Sennheiser will be sending a sample tbh, and I can't afford to just buy one either. I asked the local rep and they were already out of samples.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
80 hour battery life and the best overall BT headphone you have heard?

Damn, I am seriously considering getting these. Deep down I still want top notch ANC if I am spending this much money though, so I am still leaning towards MX5 even if it means losing some sound quality...

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
I'm a simple man. I glance at the conclusions, see the "app needed..." part and immediately lose all interest. Thanks, Edifier, but I want headphones, not data mining spyware.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I'm a simple man. I glance at the conclusions, see the "app needed..." part and immediately lose all interest. Thanks, Edifier, but I want headphones, not data mining spyware.
All BT headphones have an app to update the headphone firmware, fine tune some options and maybe some extras. They are meant to be used in phones, of course they are going to have an app.

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
All BT headphones have an app to update the headphone firmware, fine tune some options and maybe some extras. They are meant to be used in phones, of course they are going to have an app.
Fair enough, if it's only needed for updating the firmware and not to enable and sustain functionality. I use the FIIO BTR5 which also has an app, but I installed it once on a sterile device, configured what I wanted, got rid of it and never had to use it again. That's a reasonable design, having to continuously use data mining crapware just to use a product is not.

System Name Pap1er
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4000 MHz
Motherboard MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSport One - Red
Memory Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3333MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Sapphire PULSE RX VEGA 56
Storage WD Blue SN500 NVMe 250GB / WD20EURS @ 2TB
Display(s) LG 29UC88 Curved UltraWide Monitor
Case Corsair 230T Graphite Series - Orange
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Creative Sound BlasterX Siege M04 Gaming mouse
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I bought the headphones, connected to my phone via aptX Adaptive codec, hit the play button and got goosebumps all over my body :rockout: ... It's worth every penny, just get it and donate your old headphones to your family or other relatives :laugh:
Reproduction clarity is beyond anything I ever experienced

You certainly don't need app, like at all.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Moondrop Chu II + TRN BT20S
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
alright, time to say a huge THANK YOU for the review!

that review was the deciding factor for my recent purchase ;)

• Love