• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

iFi micro iDSD Signature Portable DAC/Amplifier

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
iFi introduces us to the world of premium portable DAC/amps with the aptly named micro iDSD Signature. It sports enough power to drive demanding headphones and yet can be configured to drive the most sensitive of IEMs too. We also get iFi's popular analog effects in the form of XBass+ and 3D+, this is a unit that seemingly tries too much, yet does everything fairly well.

Show full review

What can I say - iFi! Neat little thing with a sound reproduction I like very much, mainly because of the BB.
The FW updates are frequent and on point.

Only thing I don't like is the price but still, it could easily be an end-game for many.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
What can I say - iFi! Neat little thing with a sound reproduction I like very much, mainly because of the BB.
The FW updates are frequent and on point.

Only thing I don't like is the price but still, it could easily be an end-game for many.
Absolutely, there's enough here to accommodate pretty much everyone reading the review easily.

I kinda wanna try a iFi DAC because of their use of Burr-brown DAC chipsets but I just don't care for iFi's form factor and esthetic.

The first really good source component I heard had Burr-brown DAC and it was kinda game changer.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I kinda wanna try a iFi DAC because of their use of Burr-brown DAC chipsets but I just don't care for iFi's form factor and esthetic.

The first really good source component I heard had Burr-brown DAC and it was kinda game changer.
They have rectangles in black as well as small gold bars so I'd say there's something for everyone. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is.

They have rectangles in black as well as small gold bars so I'd say there's something for everyone. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is.
Do they? All I'm looking for a box with the interfaces I need, no headphone amp, no pre-amp section. Something like the Schiit Modi.

Do they? All I'm looking for a box with the interfaces I need, no headphone amp, no pre-amp section. Something like the Schiit Modi.
You can easily set it to output levels so low that you can use your own stages afterwards, and with no loss of resolution whatsover! At least that is the case with their big brothers.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
damn, 1. at the price, 2. at the device, it look bloody awesome, but out of my budget scope

pfeew lovely Burr-Brown device that i would really love adding to my budding Hi-Res set up o_O

i guess i will turn myself toward a Fiio E10K-TC (99chf) or a New K3 (139chf) that say long about my budget for the "desktop" DAC-AMP for my rig :laugh: :oops:

damn, 1. at the price, 2. at the device, it look bloody awesome, but out of my budget scope

pfeew lovely Burr-Brown device that i would really love adding to my budding Hi-Res set up o_O

i guess i will turn myself toward a Fiio E10K-TC (99chf) or a New K3 (139chf) that say long about my budget for the "desktop" DAC-AMP for my rig :laugh: :oops:
There is one simple rule, which 99% of all interested in high-grade audio somehow ommit - make absolutely certain you can hear the difference in the more expensive gear! That's it.

Go and do a proper audiometry evaluation of your hearing (bone conductance incl.) By speaking of CHF I assume there are lots of places around you where you can get such testing. Even I can't hear some tones because of prolonged firearm shooting sessions, but I found out about it during the exam! Imagine my surprise.

Then, go and try some gear live. No matter if it is not the exact same model that you want. Just try whatever you can and see if you can make the advertised difference between different gear.

And finally, never believe reviews (sorry, squirelly guy) and marketing. They are only indicative of what you can expect in general. Unless you can hear charts and plots, nothing beats a head-on!
You won't believe how much gear I've tried and returned just because it simply didn't sound as I expected it to. A good example are many ESS-based DAC units. I can't stand them.

Oh, and iFi! Drop me a discount code as I've been such a promoter of your gear here! :D

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
yep, that rule for high-grade is also mine... although i have still very good hearing (and a slight tinnitus at night but unless i focus on it, i can ignore it ) i can hear most frequencies of a hearing test, i did shoot a lot during my full year army time (Sig SG550, M2 Browning and Panzerfaust) exercises but i was always wearing ear plug (sometime combined to noise isolation over-ear)

for DAC chip in example, i had various AKM (mid and high ) in my DAP and DAC-AMP and then i took the KA1 for my phone with an ESS Sabre (well my Pentium III era PCs always had a ESS Solo-1 chip :laugh: )
and i tested some Burr-Brown, Cirrus Logic and Wolfson, to rank them, the signature that fit me most would be Cirrus Logic chips most of the time, but i do like the ESS a bit more than the AKM (hence why Fiio lineup after AKM factory fire, like the E10K-TC and New K3 are fine)

and did quite like the Burr-Brown equiped Naim DAC-V1 (expensive? that one is 1999chf luckily it was not mine...) thus why that iFi Micro iDSD Signature review interested me ....

headphone too, the FHs, i can hear details i could not with a good pair of "non hi-res cert.", i always do live test and i also returned or sold to friend various models that did not fit me
as for reviews, @VSG is probably the only reviewer who's almost spot on with my own experience (let say about 85% )

599$ for the iFi Micro iDSD Signature is cheap in the end compared to the Naim DAC-V1 :laugh:

maybe i can stretch my budget up to 350chf (which would put some good desktop DAC in range :) )

Last edited:
I don't like ifi's portable stuff, I do have a desktop stack from them though. IMHO their hipDAC works but for the "micro" level Queststyle audio is the better buy.

I don't like ifi's portable stuff, I do have a desktop stack from them though. IMHO their hipDAC works but for the "micro" level Queststyle audio is the better buy.
Uhm, the M12 is just another ESS dongle, albeit with a somewhat superior amp stage.

There are other ESS-based dongles that have 4.4. TRRS output and that can also decode DSD512/786kHz PCM. I for one have many high-bitrate content and I take it with me even on the go, yet I won't be going to transcode it just so it can fit my "pocket" DAC. Let alone the fact that I no longer sport 3.5mm TRS headgear so 4.4mm jack is a must for me.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Uhm, the M12 is just another ESS dongle, albeit with a somewhat superior amp stage.

There are other ESS-based dongles that have 4.4. TRRS output and that can also decode DSD512/786kHz PCM. I for one have many high-bitrate content and I take it with me even on the go, yet I won't be going to transcode it just so it can fit my "pocket" DAC. Let alone the fact that I no longer sport 3.5mm TRS headgear so 4.4mm jack is a must for me.
He might be referring to the Questyle M15, which is being tested right now and is extremely impressive. It is definitely the best sounding portable DAC/amp I've ever used tbh.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I see. I was mislead by 'micro'...
M15 is a portable DAC/amp, maybe you are thinking of the CMA15. This is the M15:

IMG_3207.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg
IMG_3226.jpg

For that much money I'd expect much much better than -81dB THD+n into headphones and -90 THD+n into line level inputs. I know you're not supposed to judge things without hearing them, but these specs are too low for them to not be an issue. And the price!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
For that much money I'd expect much much better than -81dB THD+n into headphones and -90 THD+n into line level inputs. I know you're not supposed to judge things without hearing them, but these specs are too low for them to not be an issue. And the price!
Where are you seeing these numbers?

Last edited:

xnor

I'd never give recommendations for any iFi products without extensive measurements.
They've produced expensive junk, filters that do nothing or even make things worse (add jitter, noise), average to poorly performing DACs and headphone amps ... and that is ignoring the price completely.

I'd never give recommendations for any iFi products without extensive measurements.
They've produced expensive junk, filters that do nothing or even make things worse (add jitter, noise), average to poorly performing DACs and headphone amps ... and that is ignoring the price completely.
I have tried some of iFi's supposedly high-end offerings and they sound quite pleasant to me. All reviewers on the web tend to share the same feeling for the same bracket.

Do you have some links or numbers? I was thinking of purchasing some of their desktop stuff but any constructive criticism is welcome by me.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I welcome separate ports for data and power, that way when I'm on the fo I don't have to choose and can do both not one or the other.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Fair points both of you!

Well, it's still small but the M12 is their true 'micro'.
Sadly, the M15 still doesn't rock DSD512 which as I said earlier is a no-no for me. I may just go and try it based on your impressions, @VSG , although their current amp design poses some drawbacks on its own.
I am still struggling to reconcile their official power outputs (quite low compared to even a basic Apple/Samsung dongle) to my own findings (more powerful and engaging than basically any portable DAC/amp I've tried). Either way unless you are in the market for a premium portable solution for IEMs and most dynamic driver headphones, it's still a good chunk of cash that I can't simply ask people to fork out in general. I'll share more in eventual quick look article.