• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ICYMI, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 12GB Uses 192-bit Memory Bus

Given how much the cache size has increased vs the 30 series, I really don't think the memory bus being 192-bit matters at all. I don't see this as NVIDIA is being greedy by charging too much or inflating the specs of a x70 card to x80 status. To anyone who plans on boycotting the generation after what they saw yesterday, I'll bet NVIDIA only has one thing to say to you; good.

NVIDIA doesn't want to sell RTX 40 series cards.

Don't get me wrong, if you still wanna buy a 40 series, they'll be more than happy to sell one to you. But given what I can only assume are still poor inventory levels (supply chains, yields, etc.), that press conference wasn't meant to sell 40 series cards. NVIDIA has two objectives with this launch.

1. Set the goalposts out of reach for RX 7000 by leaning heavily on DLSS 3.0 to promote performance uplifts when they know FSR isn't keeping up.
2. Price the cards out of reach to steer consumers toward the glut of 30 series inventory.

Accomplishing 1 will make sure they have the undisputed Halo product, which sells more lower end cards by association. AMD was much closer than I bet NVIDIA anticipated they would be in terms of pure rasterization last generation. It makes sense for them to leverage their proprietary portfolio to the fullest where AMD is not comparable.

As for 2, once the 30 series are depleted they will have a lot of wiggle room to lower the prices of the vanilla 40 series. Just in time for a Super refresh.

Neat.jpg

To be fair, Nvidia stated several times the initial RTX 40- series launch is the "Beyond" part, not a replacement of Ampere cards. That's why we only get RTX 4090 at first, then RTX 4080... So there isn't really a push to replace the existing RTX 30- stock anywhere, they can continue to sell therm for months for the same price they were marketing them in 2020.

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
1060 6GB vs 1060 3GB , Ring a bell ? a long time ago, My friend bought 1060 3GB , because it was cheap ( before miner explode ) and after I explain it to him, He got very angry. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

1060 6GB vs 1060 3GB , Ring a bell ? a long time ago, My friend bought 1060 3GB , because it was cheap ( before miner explode ) and after I explain it to him, He got very angry. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

don't hate on these partial cuts; the 4080 12gb card has almost half the shaders of the 4090 (and thus, its fine with half the bus) Ampere desktop capped minimum vram size sat 8gb to avoid such blatant starvation

the 100% cutoff in capacity has always been worse than a 25/50% percent drop in both!

Last edited:
1. Set the goalposts out of reach for RX 7000 by leaning heavily on DLSS 3.0 to promote performance uplifts when they know FSR isn't keeping up.
2. Price the cards out of reach to steer consumers toward the glut of 30 series inventory.

DLSS 3.0 seems to undermine your second point since they're claiming it will only work on 4000 series. I think is they continue their BS of keeping DLSS proprietary and exclusive to nvidia cards (now even segmenting on card generations) they are dooming their own technology since the competition can work on anything. They should learn from the old saying if you love something set it free

From that line up, is the 3090/3090ti being discontinued? Could make sense if 4080 outperforms it but it doesn't replace the higher memory capacity/bandwith.

This shenanigans suck!

Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar b650m wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 30CL6000
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Lexar NM790 4TB + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial BX100 250GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Lian Li A3 mATX White
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W11 IoT Enterprise LTSC
Given how much the cache size has increased vs the 30 series, I really don't think the memory bus being 192-bit matters at all. I don't see this as NVIDIA is being greedy by charging too much or inflating the specs of a x70 card to x80 status. To anyone who plans on boycotting the generation after what they saw yesterday, I'll bet NVIDIA only has one thing to say to you; good.

NVIDIA doesn't want to sell RTX 40 series cards.

Don't get me wrong, if you still wanna buy a 40 series, they'll be more than happy to sell one to you. But given what I can only assume are still poor inventory levels (supply chains, yields, etc.), that press conference wasn't meant to sell 40 series cards. NVIDIA has two objectives with this launch.

Accomplishing 1 will make sure they have the undisputed Halo product, which sells more lower end cards by association. AMD was much closer than I bet NVIDIA anticipated they would be in terms of pure rasterization last generation. It makes sense for them to leverage their proprietary portfolio to the fullest where AMD is not comparable.

As for 2, once the 30 series are depleted they will have a lot of wiggle room to lower the prices of the vanilla 40 series. Just in time for a Super refresh.

This person gets it. That's the strategy here, so once more the best game to play is the waiting game.