• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Audeze CRBN Electrostatic Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Audeze and TechPowerUp both enter the untamed realm of electrostatic headphones with the CRBN. These $4500 headphones use patented transducers to produce one of the best bass responses I have ever heard, and this is paired with natural vocals reproduction inside a luxurious and highly comfortable chassis.

Show full review

I stopped reading after I saw the specs. That much money for cans capped at 20Hz?

'Most people cannot hear below 20Hz!' Weeeell fook you, Audeze! Most people can't cough such money for earphones either! Catch my drift?

Sorry, @VSG , it's probably an excellent review but this time I'll pass. I suggest you do so the next time when such BS is present.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I stopped reading after I saw the specs. That much money for cans capped at 20Hz?

'Most people cannot hear below 20Hz!' Weeeell fook you, Audeze! Most people can't cough such money for earphones either! Catch my drift?

Sorry, @VSG , it's probably an excellent review but this time I'll pass. I suggest you do so the next time when such BS is present.
You can definitely feel under 20 Hz with this btw, the ratings are conservative if it helps.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
CRBN? Like, CBRN. But a bit dyslexic?

Chemical
Radiological
Biological
Nuclear
?

Can't tell if Incidental, or New Cold War era marketing.

You can definitely feel under 20 Hz with this btw, the ratings are conservative if it helps.
I can hear pure tones up to 6Hz and feel it below through bone conductance. Not quite the same as with speakers ans subwoofers but for that price range of the earphones I expected more.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I guess you need to be dissatisfied with some cheaper headphones before you can justify spending $4000 on a pair.

And let's define cheaper;

Both the Sony MDR-Z1R and Sennheiser HD820 are practically flawless. Not only could you buy both for under $4000, you could spend the rest on a nice headphone amp or a few sets of $200 headphones to throw into your instrument bags for practice or whatever.

Last edited:

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I guess you need to be dissatisfied with some cheaper headphones before you can justify spending $4000 on a pair.

And let's define cheaper;

Both the Sony MDR-Z1R and Sennheiser HD820 are practically flawless. Not only could you buy both for under $4000, you could spend the rest on a nice headphone amp or a few sets of $200 headphones to throw into your instrument bags for practice or whatever.
Mate I was with you until you said the HD820 was practically flawless. That's the biggest regret in my purchase history ever.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Mate I was with you until you said the HD820 was practically flawless. That's the biggest regret in my purchase history ever.
Really? Why do you hate them so much?

I've only listened to them in-store for about 5 minutes. They were very nice and I'd be happy with them, but I'm also a frugal audiophile. I use MDR-1As when I'm just practising because they sound decent enough and super-comfy. I know they don't have a flat response curve but they're good-quality, everyday headphones that have no major weaknesses.

I recently bought myself a pair of HD6XX and they're good enough for me. I was debating spending triple on the HD820 and my middle-age ears were struggling to discern differences between them. I could tell the difference, but it wasn't anything I didn't think some EQ or DSP could change on the HD6XX.

System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
CRBN, Carbon, Carbon nanotubes.
Ah.
My Mil-nerd outweighed my Sci-nerd.
Can't help but recognize all caps as acronyms.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I love my LCD2 closed, and Euclids :rockout:

Reactions: VSG
System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Earpads glued on a pair of $4500 headphones! That's a deal breaker for me. Wallet closed. Better stick to my $110 Hifiman 400SE then.. :)
After looking at your testing amp VSG I suddenly feel inadequate with my DX3Pro+.....

Great review.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

I doubt it beats STAX with a Blue Hawaii amp? I am pretty sure you have heard that setup if I remember right.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I doubt it beats STAX with a Blue Hawaii amp? I am pretty sure you have heard that setup if I remember right.
The only STAX that I thought bested the CRBN was the new SR-X9000, which does cost more and is arguably the best overall headphones I've heard to date if paired with a matching source.

Earpads glued on a pair of $4500 headphones! That's a deal breaker for me. Wallet closed. Better stick to my $110 Hifiman 400SE then.. :)
After looking at your testing amp VSG I suddenly feel inadequate with my DX3Pro+.....

Great review.
For what it's worth, you can get replacement pads from Audeze from what I know, they just come with the glued pads pre-applied on one side similar to 3M double-sided tape.

Really? Why do you hate them so much?

I've only listened to them in-store for about 5 minutes. They were very nice and I'd be happy with them, but I'm also a frugal audiophile. I use MDR-1As when I'm just practising because they sound decent enough and super-comfy. I know they don't have a flat response curve but they're good-quality, everyday headphones that have no major weaknesses.

I recently bought myself a pair of HD6XX and they're good enough for me. I was debating spending triple on the HD820 and my middle-age ears were struggling to discern differences between them. I could tell the difference, but it wasn't anything I didn't think some EQ or DSP could change on the HD6XX.

I first heard the HD820 at CES in the Sennheiser booth where I still don't know why I thought it was so good. I ended up buying a set for myself because I couldn't believe there was a closed-back set that could look as nice, be built well, and sounds as great as it did. It does get the first two right but the tonality on my retail set was really bad and that's unfortunately the trend across the board: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/sennheiser-hd820/. EQ doesn't help much either since ultimately the drivers were just not as good with that particular assembly, and the HD800S thankfully showed otherwise. I sold them within a couple of months at a tangible loss. If you are unable to hear the difference between the HD820 (or do you mean HD800S that makes way more sense) compared to the HD 6XX, then I can't say much except that I am just glad you bought the better HD 6XX for a lower cost anyway.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The only STAX that I thought bested the CRBN was the new SR-X9000, which does cost more and is arguably the best overall headphones I've heard to date if paired with a matching source.

Never heard of them, they are up for pre-order now. $6200, not including another 5k on an amp I bet. lol

Damn, I wish I was rich. Very few things in life that I wish I had extra wealth for, but some end game STAX is one of those few.

I don't remember if squirelly guy did but I surely do. Trust me, the difference is day and night. I'm yet to hear anything beating electrostats.
With the Hive guy in the mix electrostats are closer to the masses than ever!

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I don't remember if squirelly guy did but I surely do. Trust me, the difference is day and night. I'm yet to hear anything beating electrostats.
With the Hive guy in the mix electrostats are closer to the masses than ever!
HiveX is very impressive for the money, yes.

IMG_3914.jpg
IMG_3917.jpg

For what it's worth, you can get replacement pads from Audeze from what I know, they just come with the glued pads pre-applied on one side similar to 3M double-sided tape.

I first heard the HD820 at CES in the Sennheiser booth where I still don't know why I thought it was so good. I ended up buying a set for myself because I couldn't believe there was a closed-back set that could look as nice, be built well, and sounds as great as it did. It does get the first two right but the tonality on my retail set was really bad and that's unfortunately the trend across the board: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/sennheiser-hd820/. EQ doesn't help much either since ultimately the drivers were just not as good with that particular assembly, and the HD800S thankfully showed otherwise. I sold them within a couple of months at a tangible loss. If you are unable to hear the difference between the HD820 (or do you mean HD800S that makes way more sense) compared to the HD 6XX, then I can't say much except that I am just glad you bought the better HD 6XX for a lower cost anyway.
Most Senns sound quite muddy and lacking in the low end to me. And although I have some variations in the perception from tone to tone, these variations are small, ranging from 1.5 to 2.5dB on the best of days. Auditory lab technicians surely hate me by now... :D

HiveX is very impressive for the money, yes.

View attachment 264639 View attachment 264640
Oooooh, come on, maaaaan! :slap::rockout:

• Love
System Name Hakase
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X @ Stock
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3000MHz 18-18-18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1070 Dual
Storage 250GB 860EVO - 2x600GB Cheetah 15k7 - 2x2TB Constellation ES - 2+3TB Green - 500GB Deskstar
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2476-smhd
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Fostex PC100USB > Altec Lansing ATP-3
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight - Razer ExactMat Control
Keyboard Leopold FC750R, MX Blue
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores not benching anymore...
how was this compared to the SR-009?
i know the 009 is old tech, but the sound quality for me is just so good, i still regards them as the best e-stat in the market today
(havent tried the HE-1 yet, so i dont know)

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
how was this compared to the SR-009?
i know the 009 is old tech, but the sound quality for me is just so good, i still regards them as the best e-stat in the market today
(havent tried the HE-1 yet, so i dont know)
Unfortunately I haven't heard the SR-009 and, given the non response from STAX marketing, it's unlikely I'll get a chance to demo it at my place and do proper A/B testing.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the SR-009 and, given the non response from STAX marketing, it's unlikely I'll get a chance to demo it at my place and do proper A/B testing.
I've heard they can't keep up with the demand.
My take is that they hardly need the publicity and they certainly don't have spares lying around, waiting to make trips between reviewers... :( Which is a shame, TBH. I first got hooked on Stax while reading some reviews.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I've heard they can't keep up with the demand.
My take is that they hardly need the publicity and they certainly don't have spares lying around, waiting to make trips between reviewers... :( Which is a shame, TBH. I first got hooked on Stax while reading some reviews.
The SR-009 is long in the tooth now, no chance they are having production issues there since there are so many units easily in stock. The SR-X9000 on the other hand is definitely another case of STAX underestimating demand with a 4-6 month lead time even an year into release.

The SR-009 is long in the tooth now, no chance they are having production issues there since there are so many units easily in stock. The SR-X9000 on the other hand is definitely another case of STAX underestimating demand with a 4-6 month lead time even an year into release.
Yes, exactly. They are clearing old stock for the new model, and the same time they are switching lines to manufacture new one. Or so I've heard. :) Either way, no free samples lying around.